Author Topic: DS1000Z Measurement Features Comments and Question  (Read 3163 times)

Online Electro FanTopic starter

• Super Contributor
DS1000Z Measurement Features Comments and Question
« on: November 17, 2013, 09:59:38 am »
Could be a case of operator error but it seems like when you are making measurements on one channel (say Channel 1) and you pick a few measurements (say Vmax, Vpp, Vamp, and Overshoot) and then you decide to probe something on Channel 2 (and turn Channel 1 off), the scope should give you the ability to retain the same measurements on Channel 2.  Instead, even after you move to Channel 2 (and turn off Channel 1) the DS1000Z continues to show you the yellow channel 1 measurements. 

In the Measurement menu is a soft key that lets you select "All Measure Source" (which is intended to specify what is shown in an all encompassing measurment grid, I realize) but even if you add Channel 2 to Channel 1 in this menu, or if you add Channel 2 and deselect Channel 1 the scope will still show the individual yellow measurements previously selected for Channel 1 (but not the light blue measurements for Channel 2).  You have to go to the Clear soft key to clear the yellow Channel 1 measurements, and then one at a time (re)select the measurements you had previously specified for Chanel 1 now that you are looking at Channel 2.

Seems like there should be a way to retain the measurements you want as you move from channel to channel - at least as one of the ways of using the measurements.

One other separate item/question: of the various amplitude related measurements on the DS1000Z (such as Vmax, Vpp, Vamp, Vtop, etc.) which is most likely to give a reading that would correspond a voltage reading on a DMM?  (I guess a "DVM" volt meter reading is an option Agilent sells for almost as much as the DS1000Z but I don't get why it's such a big cost item.)  Thanks, EF

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:10:38 am by Electro Fan »

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
Re: DS1000Z Measurement Features Comments and Question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:51:02 pm »
No, my Siglent does the same as well. I guess it's just an oversight on their part.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 05:08:33 pm »
No, my Siglent does the same as well. I guess it's just an oversight on their part.

Maybe one product (Rigol or Silent) went first and the other followed the lead.

Anyone know if a Rigol DS2000 (or DS4000) operates the same way with respect to measurement selection when you change channels?

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:51:48 pm »
One other separate item/question: of the various amplitude related measurements on the DS1000Z (such as Vmax, Vpp, Vamp, Vtop, etc.) which is most likely to give a reading that would correspond a voltage reading on a DMM?  (I guess a "DVM" volt meter reading is an option Agilent sells for almost as much as the DS1000Z but I don't get why it's such a big cost item.)  Thanks, EF
Look at Vavg for DC and Vrms for AC.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 03:23:34 pm »
Could be a case of operator error but it seems like when you are making measurements on one channel (say Channel 1) and you pick a few measurements (say Vmax, Vpp, Vamp, and Overshoot) and then you decide to probe something on Channel 2 (and turn Channel 1 off), the scope should give you the ability to retain the same measurements on Channel 2.  Instead, even after you move to Channel 2 (and turn off Channel 1) the DS1000Z continues to show you the yellow channel 1 measurements. 

Seems like there should be a way to retain the measurements you want as you move from channel to channel - at least as one of the ways of using the measurements.

More a matter of operator expectations.  While the pattern you describe (expect) might be helpful to some, part of the time, it would annoy others the rest of the time.  "Whaddya mean, I can't tag a couple parameters to monitor on Chan1, then go and probe Chan2 without having the damn parameters auto-change on me?"

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 04:19:53 pm »

More a matter of operator expectations.  While the pattern you describe (expect) might be helpful to some, part of the time, it would annoy others the rest of the time.  "Whaddya mean, I can't tag a couple parameters to monitor on Chan1, then go and probe Chan2 without having the damn parameters auto-change on me?"

Good answer.  You are right.  The ideal solution might be to have some user configurable preferences but in lieu of that it's mostly just a matter of getting used to what it does and doesn't do.  Overall the scope is very impressive.  Rigol is doing a very nice job.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 04:28:40 pm »
EF,

did you ever get a chance to try out the segmented Record function?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 04:51:33 pm »
EF,

did you ever get a chance to try out the segmented Record function?

Nah, the trial options were winding down and I was working my way through the feature learning process.  With several hours left to go and segmented memory/record/playback functionality still on the TBD list I left the unit on without realizing it until I returned to find it at 0 hours remaining on the trial options.    :palm:

From the little bit I played with the record and playback features it's my guess that this is an area where the DS2000 could snag some buyers away from the strong attraction of 4 channels.  I think the memory size is probably enough to get some decent work done but I'm betting the that the DS2000 gives you a more user friendly way of navigating through the process.  This is just a guess.

I'd be up for hearing any info on the basics or intermediates of how best to use the record/playback function on both the DS1000Z and the DS2000 in case you or anyone else has any info along these lines.  Maybe someone wants to make a video on the record/playback/navigation features of the DS1000Z and or the DS2000  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf