Author Topic: DS1054Z is a Piece of Something... (FIXED)  (Read 3495 times)

Online MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
DS1054Z is a Piece of Something... (FIXED)
« on: May 02, 2016, 04:01:46 pm »
its like a beautiful made up lady with brain size of peanut. for a simple thing it cannot do correctly. wasted much of my time on this junk, last time on visa comm, now to the actual signal, plain simple ABC... hoping for a new FW by now, but no, its still 4.3.2.3 from Oct2015. look...

i'm expecting 2 pulses close together and then another pair at somewhere 250us apart pair to pair... and so on. when hit the stop button, you'll see 3 or random count of pulses in a group (pair), in 1st picture... wrong!. so i was wondering what the fuck. i moved the timebase slightly, voila, back to the true signal (2nd pic), do i have to move timebase each time i need to stop a signal? shit!.

for 2016 potential DSO buyers, dont buy Rigol! buy Siglent or something! |O i missed my DS1052E so much...

edit: this applied to when i set Mem Depth to 24Mpts instead of AUTO like in the pic. where i expect no intensity grade or signals overlay going on |O
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:41:10 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
Re: DS1054Z is a Piece of Shit !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 04:13:49 pm »
well i guess thats how it is... the single button is our friend now. need to learn this beautiful made up lady. someone may call that a feature hmm.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:29:07 pm »
i'm expecting 2 pulses close together and then another pair at somewhere 250us apart pair to pair...

How wide are the pulses?

I note that you're in "peak" mode. The manual says individual peaks must be at least 4ns wide to register.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:33:50 pm by Fungus »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 04:33:43 pm »
i'm expecting 2 pulses close together and then another pair at somewhere 250us apart pair to pair...
How wide are the pulses?
each pulse is 2us wide followed by another 2us pulse 40-60us apart, thats a pair. now i got it why i got 3 pulses, because they are varied apart sometime 40us sometime 60us, they are overlayed, no where to get them showed up separately on different frame and time space esp during running mode. this rigol actually good catch all. i just got pissed off because i was getting the unexpected, need to sink some of the heat around here... single button is my friend.. now on to change thread topic...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:35:29 pm »
How wide are the pulses?
each pulse is 2us wide followed by another 2us pulse 40-60us apart, thats a pair. now i got it why i got 3 pulses, because they are varied apart sometime 40us sometime 60us, they are overlayed, no where to get them showed up separately on different frame and time space esp during running mode. this rigol actually good catch all. i just got pissed off because i was getting the unexpected, need to sink some of the heat around here... single button is my friend.. now on to change thread topic...

Isn't there an option to delete a thread that you started? Look near the top.

• Super Contributor
Re: DS1054Z is a Piece of Sheet !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:37:56 pm »
"You cannot delete your own topics in this board. Check to make sure this topic wasn't just moved to another board."

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:39:50 pm »
Yeah, or at least change the topic now that it's clear that it's not the equipment that's faulty....

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 04:59:42 pm »
"You cannot delete your own topics in this board. Check to make sure this topic wasn't just moved to another board."

There used to be an option. Maybe they changed that....  :-//

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Re: DS1054Z is a Piece of Something... (FIXED)
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 05:23:17 pm »
This is typical behaviour for DS1054Z. When you press "Stop", it shows last displayed image which includes persistence information. As scope triggers on first or second edge randomly, you see overlap of both, resulting in three pulses (you can use "trigger delay" to get stable trigger in this case, but that is a separate topic).

You have to change horizontal time base or do something with buttons after "Stop", then the scope exits persistence mode and shows actual single waveform (and not persistence view). Maybe you can disable persistence, that could be an option.

Whether or not such behaviour is logical is up to you. IMO it is OK, as i allows to "stop" in persistence mode.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 05:30:04 pm »
Anyway, why not turn this post into something constructive? We often take so much for granted and we end up botching our measurements. No matter how bottom of the barrel or sky high our equipment is, it's much harder than it seems to know it and use it properly! :)

Just a suggestion, this post can be a valuable lesson for newbies.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 07:41:10 pm »
yup the thing is i got used to my older ds1052e display and it seems to still stuck in my head. setting mem depth to max 24Mpts hopefully to show none overlapping signals but apparently no, there is no option to disable this. as far as i can search the menu... the only shortest cut to this is pressing single button to single trigger a non-overlapping signal, the closest thing to older rigol...

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:03 pm »
My DS4014 also works that way. In a recent video (I think #845) Dave incidentally compares how the different brands deal with the Run/Stop button...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 12:23:36 am »
Mecha, you might also explore using different Trigger Type options, like Pulse, Timeout, or Delay ...
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 02:57:59 am »
this is overlapping issue where rigol captured too many signals too fast in one screen regardless of mem depth setting, other trigger option will also doomed to this symptom imho. i tried to increase the trigger hold off close to the signal pair repetition period to no success, the problem is not the scope, the problem is my varying signal timing, took sometime to understand this level graded display for this kind of signal. i'm beginning to think this is a feature, since i can hit "single" button for what i want. "stop" button otoh like said, is another feature (overlapping stopped signal display)...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf