Author Topic: Array / Tekpower Electronic Load 3711A: Replace binding posts, add sense inputs?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline 0xPITTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi,

so I've got this 3711A Electronic Load, labelled Tekpower, and I'm unhappy with the binding posts, as I use 4mm Hirschmann plugs with beefy silicone wires throughout my lab. So it's mostly PITA for me to use this piece of gear.

Has anyone replaced the default binding posts with secure banana sockets, like these: http://www.ebay.de/itm/361841460088? I'd be interested to learn which ones do fit, without dissecting the box beforehand :)

I'm generally unsure how to tear down the device to get access to the BPs, seems to be some rather comprehensive effort. Is there some tear down image gallery? I seem to can't find it. Found it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/igsaturation/sets/72157631565608376/

Also, I'd be interested to add sense wires; Is there any prior research if this is possible / viable?

Cheers, pit.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:58:28 pm by 0xPIT »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Just buy some of these  adapters if you are doing only few amps..:

Bananas are not something you want to use for 30 A these loads can do...

Best would be to use proper fork type connectors and make a pair of cables to use with load...

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests

You can get bananas rated for 30A.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor

Of course you can.. But they will not have as small contact resistance as binding posts and fork type connector. And will heat less and be more robust in general..

From teardown photos you linked to , you should have no problems putting banana type posts.. There is enough place in there...

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests

Of course you can.. But they will not have as small contact resistance as binding posts and fork type connector. And will heat less and be more robust in general..

As long as you use 4 terminal measurements a small voltage drop in the connector is not really an issue.
I am nearly always using banana plugs in my setup and I do hit 30A sometimes.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Good Hirschmann bananas rated for 30A have specified 3 mOhm contact resistance.. At 30A that's 2.7W.... And that is is contact is perfect..
Many other ones I looked up didn't even have contact resistance specified...

You can hit 30A with bananas occasionally and be fine.. If you try to do it continuous, that's 5.5W on both connectors..
That will heat up.. And could still be fine.. or not..

It is fine as long you are aware of caveats..

Offline JXL

• Regular Contributor
Search eBay for "Terminal Spade For 4mm Banana Plug Adapter".

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I have modified my Array 3710 with regular binding posts (the 35A rated ones from Hirschmann). I mounted them in an aluminium plate which I fixed to the front with screws.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf