Author Topic: Is it worth saving?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline CatalinaWOWTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Is it worth saving?
« on: September 03, 2017, 06:06:26 pm »
I acquired a bunch of oscilloscopes a while ago, some of which were totally unrepairable.  One was a Tektronix 455 which was missing several boards, several knobs and was literally a bucket of parts.  So now I got around to piecing it out, saving the things that might be useful to someone to repair their gem.  I come to the high voltage module.  A quick web search shows a lot of interest in the module, with little or no supply, so I desolder it.  Not a lot of information on the part itself, but between the schematics for the scope and the connections on the board you can figure it pretty well out.  A layout for the module along with the internals copied from the schematic are attached.  A small contribution to the body of knowledge.

Checks indicate that the diode connected to pin 5 is likely blown open.  The question is:  Is it worth digging into the potting on the module to try to repair this.  Would anyone want this after such a repair?   Or does anyone else want to give this a go? 

As an aside, anyone interested in other parts out of the 455 can PM me.  I am sure we can arrange something.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Is it worth saving?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 08:55:28 pm »
Checks indicate that the diode connected to pin 5 is likely blown open.  The question is:  Is it worth digging into the potting on the module to try to repair this.  Would anyone want this after such a repair?   Or does anyone else want to give this a go? 
It could be worth trying as the diode apparently connects between pins 5 and 6 near the 5 o'clock position in your image. It's quite likely there's little else there to be in the way.
But only those with access to X-ray imagery might be keen to give it a try.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf