Author Topic: HP/Agilent 34970A - Homebrew plug-in cards  (Read 2016 times)

Offline magnehhTopic starter

• Contributor
HP/Agilent 34970A - Homebrew plug-in cards
« on: December 21, 2015, 07:47:15 am »
So I've got a couple of HP/Agilent 34970A switch units (Technical summary) for free. Actually, I fished them out of a dumpster. One is fully functioning, the other has a bad FRAM. Both have the DMM module.

Looking on eBay, the plug-in cards to make the units actually do something cost an arm and a leg! As a uni student, I have absolutely no money to spend on these things. Come the idea of homebrewing the cards. :-/O

As far as I can tell, the electrical interface is fairly easy. A standard UART or whatever. Seems the biggest problem is the software protocol. From what I've read here and other places, there are quite a few people using these. Has anybody tried doing this before? Or perhaps you know where I can find the necessary documentation? From what I remember, there's not a word about it in the service manual.

I've always been fascinated by automation, so it would be great fun getting these boxes to work with MATLAB or LabView.

Best regards,
Magne.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: HP/Agilent 34970A - Homebrew plug-in cards
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 06:01:45 pm »
The 34970A is a very good testing box, I also have two of them.

From time to time you can find the cards for a very low price online.
I have never seen nor heard of any self made cards for the 34470A.

Post some pictures of your units.
I am interested to see how dumpster units look like, since I am repairing one of my own right now.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/agilent-34970a-battery-replacement-and-repair/msg819253/#msg819253

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf