Author Topic: DS1052E Displays to 150 mHz  (Read 3559 times)

Offline obbmTopic starter

DS1052E Displays to 150 mHz
« on: October 28, 2014, 01:44:32 am »
I have a Rigol DS1052E oscilloscope, and a Munston Military signal generator TS497B/URR.  The S/G goes to 400 mHz.  The DS1052E is advertised to be a 50 mHz scope.  I haven't dared to do the 100 mHz hack on the scope, it is strictly stock.

Last night I probed the output of the S/G with the Rigol scope.  The scope has a freq readout.  The scope displayed a clean sine wave to 150  mHz, with the freq readout very closely matching the freq setting on the S/G. 

Can anyone explain the sine wave being displayed to 150mHz and the freq readout matching? I will appreciate any discussion on this subject.

Thank you for your attention and reply,

obbm

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: DS1052E Displays to 150 mHz
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:49:53 am »
I have a Rigol DS1052E oscilloscope, and a Munston Military signal generator TS497B/URR.  The S/G goes to 400 mHz.  The DS1052E is advertised to be a 50 mHz scope.  I haven't dared to do the 100 mHz hack on the scope, it is strictly stock.

Last night I probed the output of the S/G with the Rigol scope.  The scope has a freq readout.  The scope displayed a clean sine wave to 150  mHz, with the freq readout very closely matching the freq setting on the S/G. 

Can anyone explain the sine wave being displayed to 150mHz and the freq readout matching? I will appreciate any discussion on this subject.

Thank you for your attention and reply,

obbm

Oscilloscopes bandwidths are quoted at the -3db point. Meaning, the frequency at which the signal is attenuated by 3db.You will see frequencies well beyond that point. The highest frequency is often determined by the roll off of the low pass filter. The highest theoretical frequency you can see is determined by the Nyquist limit. Most scopes try to roll off long before that to prevent aliased signals.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:08:31 am »
As a consequence of what PedroDaGr8 mentioned, the bandwidth will only show as an amplitude reduction on perfect sinusoidal waveforms, but it will severely distort non-sinusoidal waveforms (square, triangle, sawtooth) due to the higher frequency components.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 02:13:42 am »
PedroDaGr8, thanks very much for your reply.  I am an electronics tinkerer for 65 years with no training, and am not a ham, I am an SWL.  Your reply is beyond my expertise to understand.  I realize what you have posted is certainly correct, but I don't fully understand it.

While I was typing this, rsjsouza posted a reply, and thank you.  I think what he said is that because the S/G produces a sine wave, the scope can display higher frequencies than 50 mHz.

Thanks for helping,

obbm

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 02:16:27 am »
MHz = Megahertz.
mHz = Millihertz.

Not the same thing, and still such a common typo!
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:17:33 am »
MHz = Megahertz.
mHz = Millihertz.

Not the same thing, and still such a common typo!

Thanks! I was wondering if someone was doing seismology or something.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Creep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 11:50:53 am »
Since the author still seems to be at a loss, I'll try to explain this in a nutshell.
Every scope's front end has a filter that attenuates any signal with a freqency higher than the scope's bandwidth (the scope bandwidth is determined by the freqency at which the front end attenuates the signal to 70.7% (the 3dB level) of the accual amplitude). No filter can leave a 50MHz signal untouched and compleatly block a signal with a freqency say 50.1MHz. An ilustration how a filter attenuates a signal can be seen here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Butterworth_filter_bode_plot.png. How steep the roll-off of the filter is is determined by the scope.
What all this means is that you will still see your signal, just with a lot lower amplitude.
Of course, not all signals are pure sine waves, however a little mathematical invention called the Fourier series suggest that every signal consists of a lot of (infinitely many) sine waves with different freqencys and amplitudes which people usually call components of the signal. Since each component has a different freqency, the filter is going to attenuate each component differently and the result will be a distored waveform (for example if we run a triangle wave through a low-pass filter, we might end up with a sine wave).
Tried to keep it as simple as  possible, hope it helped.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 12:48:36 pm »
Creep, your nutshell explanation is more suited to my ability.  I did notice that the amplitude went down as the freq went higher.  Thanks for your help in understanding this.

Nitro, you cleared up a matter that I didn't know existed.  I will attempt to use the capital "M" in the future, as I probably will never use millihertz.  I still think of cycles when it involves freq. Thanks,

obbm

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf