Author Topic: HP/Agilent 34401A, possible to run it battery powered?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline SharpEarsTopic starter

• Supporter
HP/Agilent 34401A, possible to run it battery powered?
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:36:40 pm »
I was wondering, to get true power line isolation, it makes sense to power a DVM from battery power. Has anyone done any sort of mod the the 34401A to make it battery powered. I am not sure how the PLC (power line cycles) would work in this case, though.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
Re: HP/Agilent 34401A, possible to run it battery powered?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 10:55:04 pm »
Won't this reduce accuracy considerably? I thought the idea of  PLC was to reduce the deleterious effect of mains 'hum' everywhere. If you "isolate" the meter, it won't be able to synchronise with and then 'average out' the mains hum. (my dumb terms!!!!)
I also thought they were truly floating dmms, the measuring inputs independent from mains.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline SharpEarsTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 11:20:27 pm »
Won't this reduce accuracy considerably? I thought the idea of  PLC was to reduce the deleterious effect of mains 'hum' everywhere. If you "isolate" the meter, it won't be able to synchronise with and then 'average out' the mains hum. (my dumb terms!!!!)
I also thought they were truly floating dmms, the measuring inputs independent from mains.

Hmm, you have a good point and I hadn't though of that. Strange to think that a battery powered unit that is totally isolated from mains would have more noise than a mains powered unit.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 11:57:30 pm »
The way I think of it. it is not white noise, it is quite ordered i.e. 50 or 60 Hzso you can "allow" for it to some degree. Filtering or averaging over an integer number of PLC, phase coherent.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf