Author Topic: DSA815 TG - Calibration Data of TG Lost  (Read 9034 times)

Offline navzptcTopic starter

• Contributor
DSA815 TG - Calibration Data of TG Lost
« on: June 11, 2014, 11:00:20 am »
 My DSA815 -TG has started to come up with the following error on start up - Calibration data of TG lost  :(

It all seems to be working ok still - frequencies change and OK etc, so is this something which can be sorted by myself, or is it back to Rigol for repair??

Any assistance much appreciated.

• Contributor
Re: DSA815 TG - Calibration Data of TG Lost
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 10:38:13 am »
Well it has been back to Rigol GMBH, and after a few weeks head scratching etc. they have stated that they won't repair it under warranty as it had the options enabled  :(

I am sure this is just a case of it losing some calibration data as the tracking generator still outputs a signal albeit a bit lower than expected at the lower frequencies.

The cost of a new board etc. was 870 euro plus VAT, so basically cost of new unit  :--

Any software/firmware gurus out there have any ideas????

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 11:03:35 am »
Well it has been back to Rigol GMBH, and after a few weeks head scratching etc. they have stated that they won't repair it under warranty as it had the options enabled  :(

I am sure this is just a case of it losing some calibration data as the tracking generator still outputs a signal albeit a bit lower than expected at the lower frequencies.

The cost of a new board etc. was 870 euro plus VAT, so basically cost of new unit  :--

Any software/firmware gurus out there have any ideas????

This is the first  time I hear that Rigol refuses to repair under warranty an instrument that had ( illegal) options installed.
For the record; did you do anything with the options that might have caused it to come up with this error, like uninstalling all options and the re-apply them again. Reason why I ask is that the TG is also an option.
Which firmware version are you running on the SA ?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 11:17:37 am »
Hi Orange,

I didn't uninstall any of the options as it wouldn't let me - the normal uninstall commands using SCPI data link were not accepted :(

It was running the 01.08 - unit had been running a few good weeks with the options installed before the error came up.

When I get it back, I will check the TG output against a friends unit, but it would be nice to get this sorted.

I must admit, I was shocked about their decision !
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:35:39 am by navzptc »

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:42:45 am »
Hi Orange,

I didn't uninstall any of the options as it wouldn't let me - the normal uninstall commands using SCPI data link were not accepted :(

It was running the 01.08 - unit had been running a few good weeks with the options installed before the error came up.

When I get it back, I will check the TG output against a friends unit, but it would be nice to get this sorted.

I must admit, I was shocked about their decision - might take legal advice, and see what they say!
Some people call the entering of keys a hack or hacking the scope or analyser. Technically this is not the case, you are only entering a code to unlock certain options. Rigol gives you that possibility.

All in all the loosing of calibrated TG values is an error of the instrument, and cannot be caused by adding options IMHO.

It is not the same as altering the software or hardware of the unit, which would be a hack in that  case.

Was the dealer Batronix in Germany?

I also have an DSA815TG, and added also all options, firmware 1.08. Still running OK.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 12:29:31 pm »
Orange, I quite agree with you and I did put that point across.

No, I got it from Telonic in the UK, who then sent it to Rigol Germany.

I must admit, not happy and thinking about my next course of action.

Andy

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:17:10 pm »
Cheers Ted, much appreciated for that - should get the unit back next week so will give that a try :-)
Will let you know how it goes.

Andy

Offline KD0RC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:50:24 am »
I see that the same message flashes up for me too, but what does it really mean?  Is it just that the normalization values are not kept, or is it worse than that?
I went to the Service Menu, Calibration function and tried to turn TG Cal on, and got the same message so I assume it is the worst case.

I also noticed an option called Int Ref Signal.  If I turn that on, it gives me a 45.5 MHz sig.  If I then turn on the TG, it moves about 600 Hz.  I wonder, is this is related to the TG calibration?

I seem to have acquired this when I went to version 1.09 of the FW, but can't really be sure...

Anyone else experiencing this?  Anyone experiencing it who did not hack the keys?  Anyone experiencing on any version other than 1.09?
Edit:  Sorry, I didn't notice that the OP was on V 1.08...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:36:36 am by KD0RC »

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 10:18:50 pm »
Ted,

VMT for your post and suggestions, and when my unit arrives back (hopefully this week) I will give that a try.

On my unit, and also KD0RC's looking at his post, the TG Cal switch cannot be switched on - Always stays in the 'Off' position and comes up with the error message that the TG Calibration has been lost  :(

I think that somewhere in the system it has had a hiccup and erased some of the original data from the memory and we need to find a way to replace it with either the original data (hopefully a full hard reset might do that) or replace it with 'close enough values' to do the job.

I will let you know how I get on with :DISPlay:MSGswitch:STATe OFF - Many thanks for your assistance with this problem; it is very much appreciated.

Andy

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 04:44:06 pm »
Ted,

Just to let you know my unit has arrived back and that code has worked a treat - I now at least don't get the error message on start up, but it still appears in the system log.

They upgraded the firmware to the latest (01.09) whilst they had it, and now keys to options do not work (they removed the options!) so don't know if that is due to the new firmware  :(

Now just have to find a way to cure the lost calibration data!

Andy
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:08:55 pm by navzptc »

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 02:15:37 am »
What could possibly cause the issue with 'Calibration Data of TG Lost'.   See >  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/spectrum-analyzer-rigol-dsa815/msg513116/#msg513116

Offline Klaas

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 06:55:33 am »
Hi, I'm in the same boat.

Any news on this? is it possible to replace that data so that the calibration switch will become functional again?

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 10:39:04 am »
Hi, I'm in the same boat.

Any news on this? is it possible to replace that data so that the calibration switch will become functional again?
Hello Klaas,

I have not seen any solutions posted to fix this problem. It would be beneficial for the other users if you possibly let us know how and when this error occurred.
Did you go into the service menu perhaps ?

Offline Klaas

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 06:45:14 am »
Hi PeDre,

That's good news! Could you help me with recovering the right checksum?

Cheers

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf