Author Topic: DSLogic Plus  (Read 7700 times)

Offline Be4stElectrjcTopic starter

DSLogic Plus
« on: November 30, 2018, 05:17:11 pm »
Hi, wtb a logic analyzer. Noticed this one with good features but a low price. Does somebody have one and can tell if it acts like it's described?

Thanks

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
Re: DSLogic Plus
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 01:39:11 am »
Its a good device and works as stated with a decent software app included. If you do a forum search you will find plenty of info on this device.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/usb-logic-analyzer-whats-the-current-favorite-for-~150$/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:54:45 am by 1anX »

The following users thanked this post: ssaenek

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 07:56:12 am »
I bought one a few month ago and I am very satisfied with it. The price is ok, I had no problems to get the software DSview 0.99 running under Windows10. There are a few limitations, they are described in the datasheet. Imho its worth its money.
Wolfgang

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 01:39:21 am »
I have one which is rarely used but seems to work fine.  Worth knowing that the DSview software is actually a severely hacked-up version of the open-source sigrok project.  I'm not aware that they're breaking any rules but they basically took sigrok as a baseline and added a ton of stuff without any effort to get it merged upstream.  It leaves a bad taste.  If I used a logic analyzer on a regular basis I would spring for a Salae, possibly used.

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 07:53:36 am »
I'm not sure if still available (ebay), but there was a dslogic basic version that did not have the ram chip on board. Adding (soldering) the 3 dollar ram chip and renaming the firmware files gets you the 'plus' version. I think it was about $80 for the basic version (for comparison, I think the plus was about ~$120 at the time). If you are capable of soldering a ram chip, the price then becomes less of an obstacle.

I does work pretty well, but the trade off for the price is a little less polished software. For instance, on the Linux version you have to compile the binary on your own- I think that is still the case as it looks like the current version still gets you a tar.gz file from the github archive. The (potential) advantage is you have access to the source code. In my case I wanted to change the look a little to match the KDE dark theme, and also give the ability to use external theme files which qt already does, so made changes and re-compiled. It also turned out the software created a bug with the way they were selecting options (could not select), so had to find the problem and recompile (they were comparing strings, but kde/qt was inserting its own alt-key shortcut chars into dialog strings so the compare always failed). Its now working as I like, and probably will never need to compile again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPkL10x10kqoqygN2

I have used the dslogic basic(plus) occasionally for various things including decoding usb fs, and it did the job pretty well (that does require the plus speed/memory). I'm sure something like the high priced logic analyzers with the fancier software would probably be a bit nicer to work with, but I cannot spend that amount and am glad I have the dslogic.

Offline Be4stElectrjcTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 01:23:44 am »
Thanks for all the comments, asked some things and they anwsered very fast btw. I think i will get it and see if that suits my needs.
If you have other reviews, feel free to write them here. At least people can have updated info on this product.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 01:40:37 am »
I added a RAM chip to upgrade a Basic to Plus, but renaming the FW does not work anymore.  There is an EEPROM chip that you need to desolder and reprogram the DSPlus model ID in 2 different places.

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 06:00:01 am »
edit- (removed previous comments about going from Basic to Plus which are not needed)

but renaming the FW does not work anymore
actually, renaming still works fine for me with the Windows version. I have both the 0.9.8 and 0.9.9 versions, installed both clean and tested- and they both work in Plus mode (for my Basic w/ram upgrade)-
copy DSLogicBasic.fw DSLogicBasic.fw.original
copy /y DSLogicPlus.fw DSLogicBasic.fw

Plug in dsl, pid will be for Basic, start up DSView, it loads the firmware file for the Basic (which is now Plus fw), usb re-enumerates, now pid is for Plus, software now sees a Plus.

I also commented about the missing RLE- that is now in the options menu instead of in the sample time selection.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:59:33 pm by cv007 »

The following users thanked this post: TK

Offline bianchifan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 11:33:50 am »
Quote from: TK
I added a RAM chip to upgrade a Basic to Plus, but renaming the FW does not work anymore. 
Same here.., Ubuntu 19.04
I just received my Basic model ordered during last Ali anniversary for 48$ !! only.
Added RAM for ~1$70, so my "plus" model costs less than 50$... :)

Quote from: TK
There is an EEPROM chip that you need to desolder and reprogram the DSPlus model ID in 2 different places.
This doesn't work for me, too :((
The EEPROM isn't recogned within Ubuntus flashrom (CH341A).
On a closer look the chip is named 4128BRP from ST -> M42128 instead of AT24C128
It seems that this chip isn't supported, ST chips are listed wihin 24C01 - 24C64, no M42 numbers.. :(
I just ordered a couple of AT24C128 (pic told Atmel) and hope.

For the meantime I recompiled the sources the make the Basic run as Plus...

Quote from: cv007
I have both the 0.9.8 and 0.9.9 versions, installed both clean and tested- and they both work in Plus mode (for my Basic w/ram upgrade)...
Plug in dsl, pid will be for Basic, start up DSView, it loads the firmware file for the Basic (which is now Plus fw), usb re-enumerates, now pid is for Plus, software now sees a Plus.
I have no USB skills, I don't no how re-enumeration works.
I took a look at the sources, DSView + PulseView, both will identify the unit along the PID.

Offline DavidA

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 08:49:43 pm »
I just ordered a couple of AT24C128 (pic told Atmel) and hope.

Just wondering - were you successful?

Offline kivijakola

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 03:43:58 pm »
For someone looking same information: Removed original eeprom and read it successfully as 24c128. Wrote modified content to blank Atmel 24c128, soldered back and DSView recognices as DSLogic Plus.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf