Author Topic: DSO/MSO Instrument Carry Case: Rigol vs Agilent/Keysight  (Read 11052 times)

Offline SparkyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
DSO/MSO Instrument Carry Case: Rigol vs Agilent/Keysight
« on: October 06, 2015, 06:47:03 am »
Hi folks,

I've been meaning to offer up a quick comparison of carry cases from Rigol and Agilent/Keysight for comparable form factor DSO/MSO instruments.  This is not an in-depth review --- just pictures and comments comparing two cases.  I hope it is of use to those looking to purchase a carry case for their equipment. 

I discuss the following carry cases:

Rigol BAG-G1 Instrument Carry Case (for DSA800 series, DG4000 series, DS/MSO2000(A) series)
Website  USD $147 (previously retailed for $120)

and

Agilent/Keysight N6457A Soft carrying case and front panel cover
Website  USD $153 (includes front panel cover which retails for USD $52)

I have attached photos of each carry case illustrating the pockets/pouches, carry straps, handles, etc. 

In terms of materials (fabric, zips, rubber feet) and construction (mostly stitching) I would rate each case to individually be of high quality, but that is not to say I deem them equally durable -- the Rigol case is superior in this regard; see following comments.

Rigol BAG-G1
  • Construction using rigid panels allows the bag to maintain its shape even when empty (not important itself, but illustrates the construction and rigidity which would help protect contents).
  • All panels (side walls and top and bottom) are covered with "heavy duty" type woven nylon; I'm unsure what material is used for the inner part of the panel.  The outer nylon looks and feels very durable, as though it would resist any tearing if it were snagged or caught on something sharp.
  • Front and back panels have padding and feels dense enough (~ 5mm thick when compressed) that it would provide protection from impacts.
  • Inner surface of panels is covered with finely woven nylon; softer feel than in Agilent/Keysight case.
  • Three zippered external pouches: one on each side and one front facing.  Front pouch has 2 internal pockets.  Side pouches are small -- adequate for USB flash drives, small tools, adapters, USB cable, etc.  Front pouch easily big enough for power cord.
  • There is no zipper securing contents of the main compartment.  Rather two clips release the curved lid which extends completely over the sides and front (covering upper part of front zip pouch).  Despite that there is no zip the lid is snug fitting and all-encompassing of the main compartment -- I do not believe any reasonable sized items (e.g. pouch for your probes) would fall out in normal use/transport.  Even a flash drive probably wouldn't fall out...but I'd put it in a zipped pocket to be safe.
  • Lid has zippered mesh pouch on the inside -- spacious as it utilizes the full width of the case.
  • Removable/adjustable divider (velcro attached) in the main compartment allow you to customize the space for a snug fit to your instrument.  The divider is padded.
  • Two flaps and a strap with buckle cover the main compartment to secure the instrument.  Your equipment would not fall out even if the bag were open and upside down.
  • Additional space in main compartment is sufficient to store your own pouches with probes.
  • Carry handle with comfortable rubber grip.
  • Shoulder strap is same width as Agilent/Keysight, but finer woven material.  Additionally the shoulder strap is larger and more comfortable.  Shoulder strap is not removable, but is adjustable in length.  All metal fittings; no plastic.
  • No removable zippered pouch is provided for probes.
  • No name tag area.
  • 5 rubber feet on bottom.

Agilent/Keysight N6457A
  • Soft padded construction; outer nylon has a durable woven pattern; inner nylon has finer weave, but not as fine as Rigol.  This bag will not maintain its shape when empty.
  • Padding is soft and compressible (< 2mm thick when compressed); would offer minimal protection against impacts thus understandable that case comes with a protective cover.
  • Carry handles, and removable shoulder strap. Clips and swivels for shoulder strap are (reinforced?) plastic; do not appear very rugged.  Shoulder strap pad is not as comfortable as Rigols (it is not as wide or long).
  • Single front zippered pouch across full width of bag.  No side pockets.
  • No inner dividers or inside pockets.
  • Removable storage pouch for accessories; decent size with inner divider.  Can hold 4 probes and MSO kit.
  • Space for name tag on the back of case.
  • Main zipper opens across both side and top allowing unrestricted access to contents.
  • 4 rubber feet on bottom.

Summary
Overall I find the Rigol case a superior product in terms of materials (more durable nylon fabric, metal clasps), construction (rigid panels, dense padding), and features (more zippered pouches, inner divider).  I prefer the handle on top of the Rigol case than the extra pair of carry straps on the Agilent/Keysight product --- the straps tend to get in the way of opening the bag, or its not obvious at a glance which strap to grab when picking up the case to sling over your shoulder.  The non-cluttered straps is important for the Rigol case because the shoulder strap is not removable.  The Agilent/Keysight product tends to feel more like a "padded bag" than a "case" --- the "main compartment" (if you can call it that) is just a big void, whereas the Rigol case has a clear structure to it.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,
Sparky

Edit: Added additional picture. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:46:49 am by Sparky »

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
Re: DSO/MSO Instrument Carry Case: Rigol vs Agilent/Keysight
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 07:51:04 am »
Thank you very much for this well done review!

Even though I personally don't have a use for it - as I'm a "lab guy" rather than a "service guy" - I found your comparison rather interesting.

So there's virtually no difference in price, but Rigol seems to offer a bit more for the money in terms of features and quality with regard to the typical use case of a (instrument carry) case ;)

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:22:58 am »
Many thanks!

I'm not a service guy either, but my lab is a bit moving, and I sometimes goes to retro-thingy convention and may take some of my gear it would be helpful to have my scope secured during transportation :)
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 10:19:28 am »
Same here. Sometimes I have to bring a scope with me and I like it when it has a front cover (vomit tray). Unfortunately most second hand scopes don't come with a front cover and it isn't standard on many new scopes either.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline interference

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 10:32:50 am »
The price point is ridicolously high for a bag. I wonder if it's possible to adapt a different kind of bag, like a (D)SLR carrying case.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:41:25 am »
The price point is ridicolously high for a bag. I wonder if it's possible to adapt a different kind of bag, like a (D)SLR carrying case.

That's what I thought too. I have sveral DSLR carrying bags (mostly rucksack style) and wouldn't hesitate to use one of these if I had to bring some test gear somewhere. These cases/bags also have padded dividers to fit your needs.

And what about a computer notebook carrying case? From the review above, it appears this should be a similar protection level as the Keysight case.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 11:09:58 am »
I also have a DSLR and a buch of bag for it, and a few laptop transport bag, and none of them could even fit a DSO like the 2072(A), but I agree that the price is quite high.
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 11:11:24 am »
Thanks for this, I've been looking at a Rigol bag but am still on the fence.

Looking at your photo, the 'scope doesn't look terribly well protected to me. I would have liked to see a padded front with cutout holes where the knobs go. Maybe I could put a piece of foam in the inside pocket and put the scope the other way around to the way it's shown in your photo.

OTOH that would mean the knobs are banging against your hip when you carry it and that's probably worse...

Edit: Is the "Removable/adjustable divider (velcro attached) in the main compartment" the long one the runs lengthwise? If so you could put it on the other side of the 'scope. That could be modded to work.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:20:11 am by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 04:23:44 pm »
Hi everyone,

Happy to get the positive feedback from everyone and glad to hear the info is helpful :)

Looking at your photo, the 'scope doesn't look terribly well protected to me. I would have liked to see a padded front with cutout holes where the knobs go. Maybe I could put a piece of foam in the inside pocket and put the scope the other way around to the way it's shown in your photo.

OTOH that would mean the knobs are banging against your hip when you carry it and that's probably worse...

Edit: Is the "Removable/adjustable divider (velcro attached) in the main compartment" the long one the runs lengthwise? If so you could put it on the other side of the 'scope. That could be modded to work.

The front and back panels, in addition to the adjustable divider, are all padded.  In other works, durable padded walls on each side of the scope protect it from impacts.  You could also insert a piece of dense foam as a "front panel protector", with cutouts for the knobs etc. 

Yes, the removable/adjustable divider is the long one running lengthwise.  I will test tonight if it can be positioned at the front of the instrument to offer additional protection to the screen and knobs -- I will report back on this.  I would NOT recommend to modify the divider and cut holes in it though --- that would be irreversible!  What if you decided to use the bag with DSA800 or DG4000 later...all holes would be wrong!

Edit: Forgot the important word NOT in the last sentence!  Expanded on my comment a bit...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:19:35 pm by Sparky »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 07:53:39 pm »
Yes, the removable/adjustable divider is the long one running lengthwise.  I will test tonight if it can be positioned at the front of the instrument to offer additional protection to the screen and knobs -- I will report back on this.  I would recommend to modify the divider and cut holes in it though --- that would be irreversible!

My first thought would be to cut a square hole in it where the knobs go and put a piece of foam on the other side with holes for the knobs.

The 'screen' area would stay as-is. The foam could be half-length to leave space in front of the screen to store stuff.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 05:43:23 am »

Yes, the removable/adjustable divider is the long one running lengthwise.  I will test tonight if it can be positioned at the front of the instrument to offer additional protection to the screen and knobs -- I will report back on this.  I would recommend to modify the divider and cut holes in it though --- that would be irreversible!

My first thought would be to cut a square hole in it where the knobs go and put a piece of foam on the other side with holes for the knobs.

The 'screen' area would stay as-is. The foam could be half-length to leave space in front of the screen to store stuff.

@Fungus: I arranged the padding as per your suggestion --- I think it is better as it allows more protection to the front of the scope (screen and buttons).  Thanks for the idea!  I've attached a picture; you can see a void where the screen is --- a 2cm think foam pad would fit snug there.  Be careful to use something that won't scratch the screen though.

Also in the picture you can see the 2-3cm void at the front of the main compartment where you can put a pouch with probes, or even a printed manual, etc.  I prefer to put my probe pouch on top of the scope and secure everything with the side flaps and strap -- there is plenty of room and I think it is less likely the probes will suffer any damage sitting on top compared to being squashed somehow if sitting at the front.

Cheers,
Sparky

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 05:59:20 am »
I have the same thoughts of the Rigol BAG-B1 $55 carry case for the DS1000Z series against a Tek ACD3000 ($253 list, I didn't pay that!) that I have for an MDO3000.

The Rigol is very well padded and semi-rigid unlike the Tek one that's like a loose bag of spanners. The handiest thing about the Rigol one is that it has a strap at the back which slips directly over your rollaboard handle, so you don't even have to carry it. There's also a decent amount of space left over for other bits and bobs like a full sized hand held multimeter as well as probes, cables etc.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 09:08:58 am »
A fishing cool bag is ideal if you place a protective sheet of closed cell foam (or similar) inside to protect the screen.

I use a TF Banshee Cool Bag for both my DSA815 and DS1054Z. It's an ideal size for the analyzer, but slightly large for the 'scope. However, for £10 delivered it's brilliant. See eBay item 121498387909

I'm sure other cool bags would serve as carry bags for test equipment, although some are lousy colours!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 09:35:28 am »
This forum has a review on everything  ;D  :-+

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 09:49:51 am »

It's mostly because of a weird Aussie Bloke that do some strange video tricks about a the world of electronics, and that the Big Monkey hate him ;)
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 09:42:25 pm »
I have the same thoughts of the Rigol BAG-B1 $55 carry case for the DS1000Z series against a Tek ACD3000 ($253 list, I didn't pay that!) that I have for an MDO3000.

The Rigol is very well padded and semi-rigid unlike the Tek one that's like a loose bag of spanners. The handiest thing about the Rigol one is that it has a strap at the back which slips directly over your rollaboard handle, so you don't even have to carry it. There's also a decent amount of space left over for other bits and bobs like a full sized hand held multimeter as well as probes, cables etc.

So _that's_ what that strap in the back is for! I like the Rigol bag/case very much but I couldn't figure out that back strap.
 :-+
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 10:26:38 pm »
(Maybe time for a new shop item, EEVblog baggage tags)

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 09:29:50 am »
(Maybe time for a new shop item, EEVblog baggage tags)

Think much higher!
EEVBlog branded luggages and TE bags!
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline 6581

• Supporter
DSO/MSO Instrument Carry Case: Rigol vs Agilent/Keysight
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 10:09:00 am »
I've the DS1000Z-series Rigol bag and it's very convincing in quality and design. I've other good bags for camera gear and backpacks, and this Rigol is definitely comparable to other high quality bags (Lowepro, Delsey etc.) Just looking and feeling it lets you know it'll last longer than the scope it carries, and then it'll have another life as a bag carrying other electronics stuff or tools. And at that point, the bag will seem like a very inexpensive purchase.

Versatile, good materials and I too like that it holds its shape even when empty. Only thing I don't like in bags that hold relatively expensive stuff is that they look exactly like that. My camera bag, with its shape and brand tags, screams "steal me, expensive lenses inside." These bags should look like they contain used clothes and trashes. :-)

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 10:12:43 am »
Yeah, but you don't do touristic tour with your DSO isn't it? :D
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 03:20:57 pm »
Yeah, but you don't do touristic tour with your DSO isn't it? :D

What? You don't keep your scope with you on holidays?  :-DD

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 03:41:08 pm »
No, only with my greeny Apple IIc CRT monitor :)
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 04:07:23 pm »
@Fungus: I arranged the padding as per your suggestion --- I think it is better as it allows more protection to the front of the scope (screen and buttons).  Thanks for the idea!  I've attached a picture; you can see a void where the screen is --- a 2cm think foam pad would fit snug there.
Yes, that looks better to me.  I'd want a piece of foam that fits over the buttons though.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 04:09:34 pm »

Thank you, Dave!  I'm happy to get a message from the founder of this site appreciating my post!  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf