Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1119764 times)

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?
« Reply #1725 on: November 03, 2017, 05:46:22 am »
gamalot,
I have a DSOX2014A and am looking to make a dsox lan interface.  I think I missed somewhere in this little thread why a usb console interface might be useful.  Could you please illuminate me.

thanks

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1726 on: November 03, 2017, 09:16:25 am »
Just finished my DIY project, dsox lan interface with usb console interface. 

What I've to do next is to buy a 3D printer :-DD

Sweet!!!

Thank you!  :)

Just finished my DIY project, dsox lan interface with usb console interface. 

What I've to do next is to buy a 3D printer :-DD

Did you join the  2 pins on the 'finger connector' for auto detect - can't tell since it's the 'other side' of the picture you posted.

No 3D printer really needed... I cut my original back/cover plate to hold my diy lan card - works just fine. Though I'm sure you could still use it as an excuse to get a 3D printer :)

cheers,
george.

Yes, I did, it's on the bottom side.

About the 3D printer, I found a much better reason - I will buy it for my son!  :-DD

gamalot,
I have a DSOX2014A and am looking to make a dsox lan interface.  I think I missed somewhere in this little thread why a usb console interface might be useful.  Could you please illuminate me.

thanks

There 2 simple reasons to have a USB console interface:

1) the board looks empty if there is a LAN interface only

2) Just in case the LAN interface doesn't work

The following users thanked this post: Andrew, bicycleguy

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1727 on: November 03, 2017, 11:27:29 am »

2) doesn't work on the PC side?

So it is just a USB to ethernet converter? Confused.  :-\
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1728 on: November 03, 2017, 11:55:51 am »

2) doesn't work on the PC side?

So it is just a USB to ethernet converter? Confused.  :-\

No, it is a  USB to UART converter.

Sometimes you may need the console, before the system starts successfully.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Andrew

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1729 on: November 03, 2017, 01:32:56 pm »
One more picture, no more confusion.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Andrew

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1730 on: November 03, 2017, 05:51:14 pm »
Wow, your right, thats worth 1000 replies  :)

Looks are definitely important, even in test equipment!  Your board is really beautifully designed.  Have any extra you want to get rid of?

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1731 on: November 04, 2017, 08:37:19 am »
Wow, your right, thats worth 1000 replies  :)

Looks are definitely important, even in test equipment!  Your board is really beautifully designed.  Have any extra you want to get rid of?

I am very sorry to tell everyone a bad news - I've made a big mistake. This console interface does not work as expected.

When I designed it, I wanted to try my best to use the existing components on hand, so I chose STM32F072 for USB to UART conversion.

I chose to power it from the oscilloscope because that would simplify the circuit (an additional 3.3V regulator would be needed if power from the USB).

Now the problem is when the oscilloscope power is off, I can not see the virtual serial port on my PC, I need to modify the design to fix this bug.|O |O |O
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:39:49 am by gamalot »

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1732 on: November 04, 2017, 04:40:31 pm »
... Now the problem is when the oscilloscope power is off, I can not see the virtual serial port on my PC, I need to modify the design to fix this bug.|O |O |O

I have another stupid question.  Why would this matter?  I guess maybe you want to play with the STM32F072 removed from the scope?

Still think it's pretty cool.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #1733 on: November 04, 2017, 05:26:45 pm »
was gonna say, if the scope is off anyway you can't use the port for anything. Once the scope is powered the port enumerates again, or..?

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #1734 on: November 04, 2017, 05:28:46 pm »
It would, but it would likely take too long to be useful. If you're using the console port you probably want to be able to send a break within a second or two of power on when the bootloader runs. That means the port needs to exist and the terminal program should be ready and waiting.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: Andrew, bicycleguy

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1735 on: November 04, 2017, 05:48:26 pm »
It would, but it would likely take too long to be useful. If you're using the console port you probably want to be able to send a break within a second or two of power on when the bootloader runs. That means the port needs to exist and the terminal program should be ready and waiting.

Yes, you are RIGHT!  :-+

That's the reason why I need to fix this bug, otherwise it's useless.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1736 on: November 04, 2017, 07:06:59 pm »
I would think that the STM32F072 could be programmed to put out the req'd characters at the appropriate time after it's boot.  It could certainly beat a human.  You would have to set some non-volatile variable to whether you wanted it to do so or not.  It wouldn't have to wait for the terminal to come up, maybe just bit-banging the transmit pin before even starting the terminal would be the easiest
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:15:25 pm by bicycleguy »

Offline Safar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1737 on: November 04, 2017, 10:20:30 pm »
I would think that the STM32F072 could be programmed to put out the req'd characters at the appropriate time after it's boot.  It could certainly beat a human.  You would have to set some non-volatile variable to whether you wanted it to do so or not.  It wouldn't have to wait for the terminal to come up, maybe just bit-banging the transmit pin before even starting the terminal would be the easiest
Think that  more easy just feed STM from USB. And hope that cut pcb track and resold LDO to USB connector would be enough
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:26:12 pm by Safar »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #1738 on: November 04, 2017, 10:30:06 pm »
Think that  more easy just feed STM from USB
And add a 500mA PTC fuse to the 5V line.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1739 on: November 07, 2017, 12:12:15 am »
Thought I'd look at my suggestion of a few posts ago.  I don't have a STM32F072.  Just for fun I tested an Arduino nano and a Teensy 3.6 to see how long it takes them after power up to put out a character.  The nano  1.45 seconds,  the Teensy 402ms.  I'm not ready to try this inside my scope yet.

Made a scope trace:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:22:01 am by bicycleguy »

Offline Safar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1740 on: November 07, 2017, 08:48:12 am »

Thought I'd look at my suggestion of a few posts ago.  I don't have a STM32F072.  Just for fun I tested an Arduino nano and a Teensy 3.6 to see how long it takes them after power up to put out a character.  The nano  1.45 seconds,  the Teensy 402ms.  I'm not ready to try this inside my scope yet.

Made a scope trace:

Is it processor start time on UART side only? Or with USB wakeup and send some info from terminal app on PC? (but IMO USB response strongly depending from PC, OS etc)

Sent via Tapatalk

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1741 on: November 07, 2017, 05:23:29 pm »
Is it processor start time on UART side only? Or with USB wakeup and send some info from terminal app on PC? (but IMO USB response strongly depending from PC, OS etc)
This is just the time for his UART chip (which is really a 32 bit ARM microprocessor that contains a UART  :) ) to boot up and serial.write("    ..") to the I/O pins.  All the time is the normal boot stuff required for the chip to determine the voltages and clocks are stable enough to run.  This would all happen before any USB comm is established.  You just need to know what to print (spaces?) and when to print it to get the DSOX in the right state.  You don't even care what the response is.  After that you'd start the USB stuff and takeover the same I/O pins for the regular comm session.

I'm pretty sure the STM32F072 chip could do the same and beat the micro in the DSOX to the point the input is needed.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1742 on: November 07, 2017, 06:52:02 pm »
Thank you guys for all your suggestions and advice, I have ordered a new version of the PCB yesterday, hope to get them next Monday.  ;D

Offline Safar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1743 on: November 07, 2017, 07:19:47 pm »

This is just the time for his UART chip (which is really a 32 bit ARM microprocessor that contains a UART  :) ) to boot up and serial.write("    ..") to the I/O pins.  All the time is the normal boot stuff required for the chip to determine the voltages and clocks are stable enough to run.  This would all happen before any USB comm is established.  You just need to know what to print (spaces?) and when to print it to get the DSOX in the right state.  You don't even care what the response is.  After that you'd start the USB stuff and takeover the same I/O pins for the regular comm session.

I'm pretty sure the STM32F072 chip could do the same and beat the micro in the DSOX to the point the input is needed.

And don't forget that after stop command Scope bootloader send some info that need to saved in buffer and sent it to PC after USB has been connected AND AFTER opened Term App (or Opened it before).

It is also can used as solution but I think that it is little bit complex. In my opinion UART here should be a "border" interface between Scope and PC+USB2UART converter. Not USB. For this is enough just feed converter from PC side (USB).

In this case you can use it like  standalone USB2UART Conv.

For me personally is enough 3wired DuPont cable that I hide in VGA slot (as there a lot of space) as I needed it one time only. And I have several converters that I can also use in another projects.

In any way I still consider this solution interesting

Sent via Tapatalk

Offline Hugoneus

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
« Reply #1744 on: November 08, 2017, 04:13:09 am »
Can you kindly share the schematic and layout files of your network interface card? Thanks!

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1745 on: November 08, 2017, 09:47:21 am »
Can you kindly share the schematic and layout files of your network interface card? Thanks!

Yes, I'm very happy to share my design, I'll do it (schematic, PCB layout, and firmware) once I get the new PCB and make sure it works.

Just out of curiosity, I've watched almost all your videos and I feel like I've never seen any DSOX2000/3000 oscilloscope in your lab.

;D

The following users thanked this post: rkupka, Andrew

Offline hv222

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1746 on: November 12, 2017, 11:53:20 pm »
Hi,

Could someone check connection between LAN8700C and SPEAR600-2, please? I'm want to add LAN to 1000x series scope, but it don't have PHY, but it have unmounted connector with MII ethernet pins. I'm not sure about pull up and pull down resistors. I colored expected connections on Dave teardown pictures. Please measure value of pull up or pull down resistor on LAN8700C pins: 3, 9, 10,11, 12, 15, 16, 17,18 and 36 if they exist. Expected resistance between LAN8700C and SPEAR600-2 is around 51ohm.

Offline JeffreyLatter

• Contributor
  • Electronics Technician
« Reply #1747 on: November 15, 2017, 07:44:06 pm »
So - I've been a little busy, but as promised - the permanent mod for the 3000T series. - Tested on 3000XSeriesT.7.10.2017042905.ksx  :-+

After some testing, I found out that the registry edits to the regdb wasn't needed and all the mod takes is a exe, that call the infiniivisionlauncher.exe with our commandlines.
As I am no programmer, I found a source code in the CE sdk to do the job, compiled a exe and deleted the lnk in the startup folder, placing the exe here and copying the full infiniivisionlauncher.exe to the secure folder, as all exe's in the startup folder will be launched and as a result creating the "bootloop" problem.

I have created a zipfile with the needed exe's, a readme file and a script to do the job of copying.
The script will also copy a backup of cal-data to the usb stick, as I had a incident during all this testing, where the scope reported it gone, sp just to be safe.  :-BROKE

Use it at your own risk! - But I have done quite some testing using the script, after reflashing firmware and no problems.  :)

EDIT:
New version of the mod available for the 3000T Series - Tested on 3000XSeriesT.7.10.2017042905.ksx!
After a couple of PM's from Pinkus, I have modified the application to read the commands from a textfile for easy modification.
Futhermore the application will check for existing infiniivision.lnk and infiniiVisionLauncher.exe in the \Secure\Startup folder and delete if any, as to avoid a bootloop situation after a system update.
(I will advise to remove the mod prior to updating just to be safe, but anyway)

Also if no command.txt is found, a new will be created with a default option of "-l all".
 :-+

As always - Use it at your own risk!
REMOVED ATTACHMENT FOR REVISION OF README
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:25:02 am by JeffreyLatter »

The following users thanked this post: albertr, Andrew, Netroman

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #1748 on: November 15, 2017, 08:11:56 pm »
So - I've been a little busy, but as promised - the permanent mod for the 3000T series.  :-+

After some testing, I found out that the registry edits to the regdb wasn't needed and all the mod takes is a exe, that call the infiniivisionlauncher.exe with our commandlines.
As I am no programmer, I found a source code in the CE sdk to do the job, compiled a exe and deleted the lnk in the startup folder, placing the exe here and copying the full infiniivisionlauncher.exe to the secure folder, as all exe's in the startup folder will be launched and as a result creating the "bootloop" problem.

I have created a zipfile with the needed exe's, a readme file and a script to do the job of copying.
The script will also copy a backup of cal-data to the usb stick, as I had a incident during all this testing, where the scope reported it gone, sp just to be safe.  :-BROKE

Use it at your own risk! - But I have done quite some testing using the script, after reflashing firmware and no problems.  :)

You should probably mention which version of firmware this has been tested with. The 3000T received an update last week.
VE7FM

Offline JeffreyLatter

• Contributor
  • Electronics Technician
« Reply #1749 on: November 15, 2017, 08:17:39 pm »
TheSteve - Great point! - it's tested on the 3000XSeriesT.7.10.2017042905.ksx

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf