Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread  (Read 770142 times)

thm_w and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline dcac

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #1425 on: May 08, 2019, 12:45:20 pm »
All we can do is wait, I’m pretty sure the moment Dave receives new FW he will let us know.

I seem to remember it has happened before that more recently bought 121gw’s had newer FW than what was available at eevblog.com. Perhaps just the way the communication goes - it might not be the same person who sends new FW to the factory who also sends it to Dave.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1426 on: May 08, 2019, 12:48:47 pm »
So my question: where is the enthusiasm of the beginning gone ? May be a subjective feeling.
At the beginning, there was an air of excitement, interest and critical assessment of various aspects of a new meter.  Much of that has now produced a more refined product which does not have as many "issues".  As a more mature product, it will - like every other - slide down people's scale of enthusiasm and settle into a typically mundane "workhorse" status. 

That's not to say it's a perfect meter and it will likely have some FW revisions further down the track, but the bigger issues seem to have been addressed and the limitations understood, so such revisions will come at some later date.

Also - please be aware that there are many things that still go on without advertising each mini step, especially when there may be several things being tried out.  I'd rather someone spend time working on the FW than telling me of all the little things they've done.  If you want that level of involvement, then get a job on the development team.

Nevertheless, I met with Dave and David a couple of weeks ago and the 121GW FW came into the discussion.  I won't go into that because it's not my place to say (not that it was particularly dramatic) - but it did show me that the 121GW was definitely NOT a forgotten project.

But as I said, the multi-meter is doing its job, I use it and don't regret it.
That's where this meter's evolution sits right now for a great many owners.  The boring, everyday workhorse.

The following users thanked this post: ggchab, Kean

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1427 on: May 08, 2019, 12:56:04 pm »
I seem to remember it has happened before that more recently bought 121gw’s had newer FW than what was available at eevblog.com. Perhaps just the way the communication goes - it might not be the same person who sends new FW to the factory who also sends it to Dave.
The official FW is produced by the factory.  They have "secret sauce" routines which they are coy about sharing.  Dave would get it after the factory has released it.

Other versions of the FW you may have seen around could have come from enterprising members who got into the hex code and made their own tweaks.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1428 on: May 08, 2019, 04:56:15 pm »
I bought the 121GW because it looked promising (and it is) but also because of some other points:
Now, it seems that the "soufflé est retombé" as we say in French. I would like to be proven the opposite, but except a few apparitions of the multi-meter in some videos, enthusiasm seems to be gone, upgrades are no longer available, no more reaction from any Dave.

Available resources have probably moved to the micro supply ... until the next project ? May a small team support several projects and keep enthusiasm for all of them?

No offense at all, only my feeling... Buying the GW121 was my own decision, it's working, I use it and I don't regret it. I was just hoping a bit more.

After Dave's comments about reviving the toggle bot to repeat the switch life cycle testing, I offered to buy a couple of the new meters and run that test for them but no response and I have not heard anything else.   

I wonder if the new meters people are buying still have the shim and old PCB. 

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #1429 on: May 09, 2019, 08:13:55 am »
I received a letter with title "EEVblog 121GW Stock Clearance!". Initially I thought this may mean the dmm is approaching EOL, but I don't want to speculate. Anyway, for those who interested, check this out: "Use the coupon code fluxcapacitor in the checkout for 20% off the meter, and if you like, the carry case as well."

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1430 on: May 09, 2019, 08:53:28 am »
I received a letter with title "EEVblog 121GW Stock Clearance!". Initially I thought this may mean the dmm is approaching EOL, but I don't want to speculate. Anyway, for those who interested, check this out: "Use the coupon code fluxcapacitor in the checkout for 20% off the meter, and if you like, the carry case as well."

Yeah, I got the same email about 20% off stock clearance!
I'm guessing a revised 121GW is about to be released or its all over for the meter which has had extremely short shelf life if thats the case.
Hopefully its a revision of the meter and one that fulfills its initial promise of being a fast responding and unique electronics focused meter.
I get the feeling all will be revealed soon!

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1431 on: May 09, 2019, 10:42:45 am »
My guess is that Dave has stock on his shelves that needs to be turned into cash.  Stock on the shelf doesn't do anything but tie up capital.  It needs to be sold and new stock ordered for any business to survive.

My suspicion is that people have been hanging back, waiting for all the "problems" to be ironed out and that's taken the edge off the interest in this meter.  From what I've read, it seems that a lot has been sorted out, so there's no real reason for people with an interest to wait any longer.

A promotion with a discount is a pretty common way to attract sales - so if anyone was hesitating, I'd say now is a good time to pull the trigger.

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #1432 on: May 09, 2019, 11:55:35 am »
To get the shelf empty it would help to put firmware version 1.61 onto the download page.

The following users thanked this post: Candid, kelemvor

Offline JayHattler

« Reply #1433 on: May 09, 2019, 01:06:04 pm »
Yes, I am one of those who are waiting on a new model. I like the meter and want it, but am in no hurry. I read enough to realize that it makes no sense to buy a version with a shim when a new one is approaching. So, patiently waiting. Perhaps the clearance sale will entice others and empty the inventory so that we can move on.

Offline GeoffreyF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1434 on: May 09, 2019, 01:50:35 pm »
People who wait clearly don't have much need for a multi-meter.  People who quibble over the price obviously have not been paid much for their "Skill" in using one.
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1435 on: May 09, 2019, 03:01:44 pm »
People who wait may also have more multimeters than they can possibly require in a lifetime.  This is the EEVBlog home of many TEA addicts!

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1436 on: May 09, 2019, 07:07:03 pm »
hello everyone, i recently have just bought 121GW multimeter from eevblog store...i heard that there is an issue related with VA mode in both DC and AC measurement, is it already resolved now?

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1437 on: May 09, 2019, 07:53:00 pm »
They raised the price from $300 to $315 for the sale, still no case included?  It's only $23 US cheaper than my purchase last summer with a carrying case.  Not enough for me to be interested in buying another as a spare or a gift, especially with some minor annoyances still present and the lack of information about future firmware updates.  I'm not bashing it, just saying those are factors that are preventing me from buying another.

Offline kelemvor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1438 on: May 09, 2019, 08:19:17 pm »

Ugh that smarts.  I just got my 121gw about a week ago.  If it wasn't shipping to/from Australia, I'd consider returning it and re-purchasing for $60 off.

Also, I didn't bother looking at the included firmware and flashed it right away.   Guess now I miss out on the new fw for now.

Offline kelemvor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: May 09, 2019, 08:30:05 pm »
Does anyone know if there's a way to have the meter default to turning on the Back-light and the Bluetooth?

I really like both features. I tend to use the app to take screenshots of measurements since I'm learning and taking notes... and the backlight just makes the screen far easier to read indoors.

Offline oliv3r

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #1440 on: May 09, 2019, 08:39:37 pm »
To get the shelf empty it would help to put firmware version 1.61 onto the download page.

I'm surprised nobody has managed to pull it of the microSD card :) *hint* *hint*

Yeah, I got the same email about 20% off stock clearance!
I'm guessing a revised 121GW is about to be released or its all over for the meter which has had extremely short shelf life if thats the case.
Hopefully its a revision of the meter and one that fulfills its initial promise of being a fast responding and unique electronics focused meter.
I get the feeling all will be revealed soon!

As an owner, I hope the changes are minimal and can optionally be reworked into the current model ;)

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #1441 on: May 09, 2019, 08:54:04 pm »
I'm surprised nobody has managed to pull it of the microSD card :) *hint* *hint*

AFAIK, It is not on the SD card in the *as shipped* condition - brand new.
Certainly was not on mine.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline oliv3r

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #1442 on: May 09, 2019, 09:56:10 pm »

AFAIK, It is not on the SD card in the *as shipped* condition - brand new.
Certainly was not on mine.

I just upgraded mine from the shipped 1.01 to the beta 1.58 and on the sd card, was low and behold, the bin. But I would not be supprised that they 'stilink' program the firmware normally, and if an update is still needed just before shipping; they'll do it the 'manual' way.

Offline maxcp

« Reply #1443 on: May 09, 2019, 09:56:53 pm »
Hi!

I was so happy when I was able to order a 121GW on 26.07.2018 early in the morning, but had not much luck with the shipping. It was probably due to the german customs, which are really slow and had no website at that point in time. It was the 15.09.2018 when I wrote you my first mail and asked for my shipment. I received a mail, that I should be patient and that the multimeter would probably be held back by the german customs. I was patient and waited until the tracking number disappeared from the DHL tracking website. Then I wrote you my next mail on 01.11.2018. A few days later I received another answer, that the shipment could not be delivered (failed delivery attempt) and was returned. I was offered to get either a refund or another delivery attempt.

Here comes the mistake: For some reasons I answered that mail several month later. It was the 17.02.2019 and I never received an answer. I have also checked my paypal account, but could not find any refund. I have written another mail on 16.04.2019 and have again not received an answer. Of cause you can now argue on how stupid I am, that I have waited so long. But the drama is: Every time I am watching the eevblog I am virtually seeing my multimeter being used with a tear in one eye for my stupidity and on top of that I cannot really justify to buy another one of such from a german vendor before I have received any refund. I need a decision. I now want a decision. Is there still anything I can do or hope for or do I really have to live with that situation now?

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1444 on: May 10, 2019, 01:22:45 am »
My guess is that Dave has stock on his shelves that needs to be turned into cash.  Stock on the shelf doesn't do anything but tie up capital.  It needs to be sold and new stock ordered for any business to survive.

My suspicion is that people have been hanging back, waiting for all the "problems" to be ironed out and that's taken the edge off the interest in this meter.  From what I've read, it seems that a lot has been sorted out, so there's no real reason for people with an interest to wait any longer.

A promotion with a discount is a pretty common way to attract sales - so if anyone was hesitating, I'd say now is a good time to pull the trigger.

I guess you'll finally be buying one these then Brumby!!!!!!!!!
Perhaps not? As you seem to know all Dave's intentions for this meter, both present and future, if you resist this bargain 20% off deal then maybe your holding off for a revised model?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #1445 on: May 10, 2019, 04:04:26 am »

That is just DUMB and Illogical. If as has been reported new ones are already coming with 1.61 how is your statement going to magically help boost sales?

Even if someone scores one with an earlier version it remains a trivial thing to upgrade later. Mine ran for nearly a year on 1.0x before I added 1.4x firmware.

1.61 will not be Magic and life altering just a progression.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1446 on: May 10, 2019, 05:19:30 am »
I received a letter with title "EEVblog 121GW Stock Clearance!". Initially I thought this may mean the dmm is approaching EOL, but I don't want to speculate.

It's not EOL, I'll be selling this meter for many more years to come.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Andrew McNamara, Average Meatsack, Marco1971

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1447 on: May 10, 2019, 05:24:09 am »

Correct. I talked about this on the Amp hour the other month. I have to buy a lot of meters in one hit, and it's a huge amount of money, the last lot (plus other things) practically wiped out the companies cash reserve. So much so that I had to stop paying myself wages.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew McNamara, Average Meatsack, JayHattler

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1448 on: May 10, 2019, 06:03:16 am »
Now, it seems that the "soufflé est retombé" as we say in French. I would like to be proven the opposite, but except a few apparitions of the multi-meter in some videos, enthusiasm seems to be gone, upgrades are no longer available, no more reaction from any Dave.

What "enthusiasm" do you want?
Want me to include an outro in every video plugging the meter?
It's just a meter, there was some excitement because it was a kickstarter, but now it's a year and half later and it's now just another product in my store. That was inevitable.
Fixes are still coming. I'm using 2.00 firmware at present and UEI have said we can release it, so expect it soon. Improvements are better and faster resistance and capacitance autoranging.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:06:59 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: jancumps, Kean, Cliff Matthews, newbrain, Andrew McNamara, Marco1971, Roelof

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1449 on: May 10, 2019, 06:09:19 am »
After Dave's comments about reviving the toggle bot to repeat the switch life cycle testing, I offered to buy a couple of the new meters and run that test for them but no response and I have not heard anything else.

If I had a spare new thicker PCB meter to send you, I would.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf