Author Topic: EEVblog 121GW Multimeter Issues  (Read 673683 times)

Offline Seppy

• Supporter
  • Curious
Re: EEVblog 121GW Multimeter Issues
« Reply #250 on: June 17, 2018, 12:46:41 pm »
I noticed the meter will auto-power off while in BT communication mode. I noticed this while logging some data and I wondered why the screen and graph froze. I suspect that auto-power off should be suspended while BT communication is enabled?

This is an option, at least manually, you can disable APo in the settings menu.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #251 on: June 17, 2018, 04:27:49 pm »
This is an option, at least manually, you can disable APo in the settings menu.

I appreciate this is an option, however it is a permanent setting, one way or the other.

The manual says, "APO is disabled in data logging mode." I suggest it would be an idea to disable APO during Bluetooth communications too, to facilitate Bluetooth data logging.

Also, some other meters have a way of temporarily disabling APO one time only, for example by holding down the MODE button when turning the meter on. This kind of feature would be useful.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline Bugsyson

• Contributor
« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2018, 05:44:28 pm »
Long time reader first time poster. Received My 121gw (Thanks), and was playing around and found the burden voltage with firm ware V1.17  to be less than spot on, and totally not working with the new V1.21 firmware, only tested dc amps, (all ranges) so far.  Finger problems? On the plus side found Auto Hold to be working as well if not better than my Fluke 87V.

Offline Bugsyson

• Contributor
« Reply #253 on: June 17, 2018, 06:05:04 pm »
Some Pic's.... Sorry limited by pic size due to under 25 posts

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2018, 06:40:26 pm »
Long time reader first time poster. Received My 121gw (Thanks), and was playing around and found the burden voltage with firm ware V1.17  to be less than spot on, and totally not working with the new V1.21 firmware, only tested dc amps, (all ranges) so far.

I have never been able to make the burden voltage appear. How did you achieve that?

Offline Bugsyson

• Contributor
« Reply #255 on: June 17, 2018, 07:17:32 pm »
With "bd.OFF" in upper display, hold setup till display blinks , select "be.ON" with REL or 1ms PEAK , hold setup button again till display blinks (beeps if you have that on) then press setup one more time to display "b  0.0 mV"

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2018, 07:38:17 pm »
Quote from: Bugsyson on Today at 01:44:28 pm
Long time reader first time poster. Received My 121gw (Thanks), and was playing around and found the burden voltage with firm ware V1.17  to be less than spot on, and totally not working with the new V1.21 firmware, only tested dc amps, (all ranges) so far.

I have never been able to make the burden voltage appear. How did you achieve that?
With "bd.OFF" in upper display, hold setup till display blinks , select "be.ON" with REL or 1ms PEAK , hold setup button again till display blinks (beeps if you have that on) then press setup one more time to display "b  0.0 mV"
There is a bug (I think) in 1.17 and 1.21 where if you go from bd.off, switch mode to bd.on, and then press setup to apply without holding for some length (1/2-1 second), then i goes in to a weird state where it says bd.on but never actually displays burden voltage. Must hold setup button for some period.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2018, 08:08:29 pm »

Thanks, got it.

I did a quick test and the voltage measurement looked reasonable. Did you remember to make a link between the VΩ terminal and the mA terminal? That link is needed to connect to the voltage measurement circuit inside the meter.

The 121GW measured 11.1/11.2 mV and the reference said 11.29 mV.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:20:51 pm by IanB »

The following users thanked this post: ChunkyPastaSauce

Offline Bugsyson

• Contributor
« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2018, 09:01:35 pm »
Ah yes seems I forgot to put that jumper back in after updating to 1.21. Its seems more accurate than 1.17, also noticed it defaults to what ever mode you were in last, AC,DC when turning back on, instead of always DC, or like the fluke87V AC (bad). Thanks again for catching my finger problem.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2018, 09:55:29 pm »
There seems to be a problem with auto-ranging up from the 5 mA range to the 50 mA range. The meter seems to get confused and cannot lock into the reading. See video linked, where I have slowly ramped the current up from around 3 mA to around 30 mA. This is with firmware 1.21. Does anyone else see this?

https://youtu.be/AOJ8776Qg5Y

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2018, 11:04:43 pm »
Quote from: IanB on Today at 05:55:29 pm
There seems to be a problem with auto-ranging up from the 5 mA range to the 50 mA range. The meter seems to get confused and cannot lock into the reading. See video linked, where I have slowly ramped the current up from around 3 mA to around 30 mA. This is with firmware 1.21. Does anyone else see this?
Yes, but only when burden volt mode is on; meter tries to switch out of the 5ma range to the 50ma range but gets stuck   edit FW V1.21

Offline Bugsyson

• Contributor
« Reply #261 on: June 17, 2018, 11:58:25 pm »
Had the same auto ranging issue, also seem to have locked my meter up, reading 50mv all the time now (in A/mA rang), removed batteries no help, only thing that will make it go away is to put a banana plug into the mAuA jack.  Fuses good, never went above 100mA while playing around with the burden voltage. Went back to 1.17 also no help...

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #262 on: June 18, 2018, 12:10:00 am »
 Is there a change log for the new firmware 1.21?
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #263 on: June 18, 2018, 12:26:16 am »

Had the same auto ranging issue, also seem to have locked my meter up, reading 50mv all the time now (in A/mA rang), removed batteries no help, only thing that will make it go away is to put a banana plug into the mAuA jack.  Fuses good, never went above 100mA while playing around with the burden voltage. Went back to 1.17 also no help...
If software, there must be someway to do a factory reset? Settings seem to persist after pulling main and rtc batts and across firmware updates.
Is there a change log for the new firmware 1.21?
not yet afaik

Offline Seppy

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #264 on: June 18, 2018, 12:33:11 am »

https://youtu.be/AOJ8776Qg5Y

Could you attempt the same test without the burden voltage measurement?
This is because when burden voltage measurement is switched on the multimeter alternates between voltage and current, this might be reseting the auto-ranging.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #265 on: June 18, 2018, 01:00:54 am »
Could you attempt the same test without the burden voltage measurement?
This is because when burden voltage measurement is switched on the multimeter alternates between voltage and current, this might be reseting the auto-ranging.
I am seeing it too, but only when burden volt mode is on

Offline Seppy

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #266 on: June 18, 2018, 01:05:15 am »

What happens if you manually range to a different range?

Offline Bugsyson

• Contributor
« Reply #267 on: June 18, 2018, 01:39:23 am »

See video, having a read through the cal procedure, do you think it may be possible it was cal's with a lead in the mA/uA jack?

Offline Seppy

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #268 on: June 18, 2018, 02:13:05 am »

See video, having a read through the cal procedure, do you think it may be possible it was cal's with a lead in the mA/uA jack?

Hmm, it seems that it flipped from manually ranged to auto ranged when you plugged in the jack. Can you manually range after the lead is plugged in.

Offline Bugsyson

• Contributor
« Reply #269 on: June 18, 2018, 02:51:38 am »
Yes can manual range in both cases, every time you cycle a plug into the jack it goes into auto range.

Offline Seppy

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #270 on: June 18, 2018, 02:54:23 am »
Yes can manual range in both cases, every time you cycle a plug into the jack it goes into auto range.

It still displays 50 mA in both cases?
I suspect at some point your full scale range calibration for that range was calibrated while open circuit. Is this possible?

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #271 on: June 18, 2018, 02:59:54 am »
I can confirm this, it does reset to Auto when you cycle the plug. It’s also the reason that Auto Hold messed up with one of my tests. But I don’t know if the auto hold issues was worked on in the new firmware 1.21 since I came across a different error specifically to my meter in the 50M  \$\Omega\$ range. I sort of gave up on testing for now since this one is a hardware issue. That’s why I was wondering if a change log was published for 1.21 firmware.
Scott

Edit:
I guess I should check that auto hold and 1.21 since I did promise to delete the video once it was resolved. I guess I’ll load the firmware tomorrow if I can.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:02:27 am by Scottjd »
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline Seppy

• Supporter
  • Curious
« Reply #272 on: June 18, 2018, 03:02:44 am »
I can confirm this, it does reset to Auto when you cycle the plug. It’s also the reason that Auto Hold messed up with one of my tests. But I don’t know if the auto hold issues was worked on in the new firmware 1.21 since I came across a different error specifically to my meter in the 50M  \$\Omega\$ range. I sort of gave up on testing for now since this one is a hardware issue. That’s why I was wondering if a change log was published for 1.21 firmware.
Scott

Change has not been added to manual, version was released over weekend haven't gotten to that yet, at the moment working on the iOS app with the Beta testers. The key change in 1.21 was that F and C were added to the bluetooth packet.
1.20 had some changes too I'll add that to the manual ASAP.

The following users thanked this post: Scottjd, ChunkyPastaSauce

Offline Bugsyson

• Contributor
« Reply #273 on: June 18, 2018, 03:39:23 am »

It still displays 50 mA in both cases?
I suspect at some point your full scale range calibration for that range was calibrated while open circuit. Is this possible?

Have definitely not been in the cal mode, and it really thinks there is 50 extra mA, but only when plugged into the Amp Jack, readings are all good when using the mA/uA jack.

Offline Bugsyson

• Contributor
« Reply #274 on: June 18, 2018, 04:06:19 am »
What mode should I try and calibrate? Meter reads correct in all ranges and amp jack position except in "A" jack and in 500mA range which it auto ranges to, but reads the same when manually ranged.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf