Author Topic: EEVblog 121GW Multimeter Issues  (Read 83270 times)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog 121GW Multimeter Issues
« Reply #850 on: October 15, 2018, 05:19:01 am »
I too have to reconnect if the meter falls out of range.    I had a lot of problems with the early versions of Bluetooth not working.  I know very little about BLE and have little experience with it.  The Gossen I have is not BLE but the UNI-T is.  Both meters are good for at least double the distance of the 121 using the same radio. 

I added a simple connect/disconnect test where every five seconds I attempt to connect to the 121GW.  PC is better suited than me manually trying to test it.   

So far, 215 connection attempts, there were 6 times the PC could not connect, or roughly a 3% failure rate.  This is with the 121 right next to the radio.  Again, this is with 1.26 firmware.  What version are you using?   If it's different, I can try to repeat the test with the same firmware you are using.
How electrically robust is your meter?? http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsK99WXk9VhcghnAauTBsbg

Offline chronos42

• Contributor
« Reply #851 on: October 15, 2018, 06:24:47 am »
Hi,

I have used Rev. 1.26. for my tests.

Today I had a strange experience.

Now I am using 1.51 and I tried it again today. Now it connected without any problems several times. Between my tests the 121GW firmware has changed and the mobile also got an update recently, maybe this has solved the problem. :-//

No, don't think so.
Meanwhile I belive you were right, there is very likely a disturbance from other bt devices. Not in my home, but from my neighbours. Because today  the bt receiving range also is much higher than at my last tests. And my direct neightbours are not at home....hmmmm

Now it workes as intended except of one exception. After closing the app and restart it, the app did not see the meter again, I have to switch off and on bluetooth at the meter for reconnecting, like before. But that is not a problem for me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:17:22 am by chronos42 »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #852 on: October 15, 2018, 06:58:24 am »
I am fortunate that the neighbors are far enough away that they don't cause a problem.   It will be interesting to see when they return if it stops working again.   My CEM meter uses 900MHz with a simple FSK modulation.  I've been amazed at how far that meter will transmit. 

Maybe IanB's problem is similar. 
How electrically robust is your meter?? http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsK99WXk9VhcghnAauTBsbg

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #853 on: October 15, 2018, 07:04:35 am »
I am fortunate that the neighbors are far enough away that they don't cause a problem.   It will be interesting to see when they return if it stops working again.   My CEM meter uses 900MHz with a simple FSK modulation.  I've been amazed at how far that meter will transmit. 

Maybe IanB's problem is similar.

I'm not sure about neighbors with Bluetooth. For example, if I turn on my phone when I am in Fry's I see dozens of BT devices available to connect from all around me. My phone is inundated. If I turn on my phone when I am at home I see no BT devices ever, except the devices I own that I have turned on. Granted there could be long range interference, but the problem I had with Windows 10 seemed more like a Windows 10 problem. My Apple devices have never had any issues connecting.
I'm not an EE--what am I doing here?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf