Poll

Should I Crowd Fund The BM235?

Yes
34 (19.2%)
No
143 (80.8%)

Total Members Voted: 171

Author Topic: EEVBlog BM235 Multimeter Dilemma  (Read 75632 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: EEVBlog BM235 Multimeter Dilemma
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2016, 05:18:54 am »
Yes! A challenge. We shall wait with baited breath.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline RobertBG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2016, 05:20:06 am »
I'll take that bet,like I said between 5-10% of the 466 will actually order within 7-10 days of being notified ;)
This is not including the preorders that you are now offering though.

What are you putting up in return?

I might carry something for your car depending on what you drive so that would be my preference.If you drive a AUDI, BMW, MINI, Porsche, Mercedes & Volkswagen I'm sure we can find something interesting.Worse case something of equal value from the states or money works in a pinch. :-+

You do have a unfair advantage though because of the hype this will make as I'm sure you know ;) If you want to do it on numbers alone,edit out these posts and we'll finish via pm  but either way I'm a man of my word :-+

« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:25:43 am by RobertBG »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2016, 05:54:41 am »
I might carry something for your car depending on what you drive so that would be my preference.If you drive a AUDI, BMW, MINI, Porsche, Mercedes & Volkswagen I'm sure we can find something interesting.Worse case something of equal value from the states or money works in a pinch. :-+

How about post a photo of yourself holding a sign that says, "I was wrong, Dave was right"  ;D
BTW, I drive a Toyota Corolla, and it doesn't need anything, it gets from A to B.

You do have a unfair advantage though because of the hype this will make as I'm sure you know ;)

Once again your instinct on number seems to be out of whack. Talk of this in this thread will have practically zero impact on how many random people who signed up for the meter will actually buy it or not.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2016, 06:00:27 am »
If I was a betting fellow, I'd have to place mine on Dave. Those meters are popular. :-DMM

Offline boggis the cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2016, 06:07:00 am »
If I was a betting fellow, I'd have to place mine on Dave. Those meters are popular. :-DMM
Yes.  I'd say you should get well over twenty percent sell-through form the pre-orders.  Few people are going to bother with setting up a pre-order notification unless they have a reasonable interest.

Another lot of 150 meters (if memory serves) may not be sufficient to cover those pre-orders.

In any case, let us know the terms of the bet.   :-DMM

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2016, 06:19:39 am »
Few people are going to bother with setting up a pre-order notification unless they have a reasonable interest.

Bingo.

Offline boggis the cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2016, 06:45:53 am »
Few people are going to bother with setting up a pre-order notification unless they have a reasonable interest.

Bingo.
Well I guess we'll see.

You did sell out of the first batch, with no real attempt at driving sales.  It looks like a pretty solid meter.  (Still haven't got around to verifying it against specs.  Maybe over the weekend.)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2016, 12:46:21 pm »
If you think you're going to sell a lot more than 5% of the 466 meters people are currently waiting for on your website when they get notified in April your in for a rude awakening.Ten percent would be a generous number to look forwards to.

I'll bet you a free multimeter you are wrong.
I've been selling niche stuff to niche audiences for 20+ years, I have a reasonable spidy-sense.
RobertBG, I suspect you are in for a photograph given the aspects of "novelty" and "customization". This is a product customized to a catered audience and it is still in its "novelty" grace period. To your advantage, though, the bet is hedged against the 400+ guys that showed interest, not the gross sales of the product.

Anyways, we shall see if the goods of the transaction will be inside an American Airlines Boeing or a Qantas Airbus... :)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline RobertBG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2016, 02:03:15 pm »
Dave,those are fair enough terms.  :-+
I'll also make a little donation to the charity of your choice and if I win the meter can go to a E.E. student at the Technical University in Varna Bulgaria.I tutor some students from there to help with their English and they could really use a decent meter. :-DMM

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2016, 10:06:34 pm »
Dave,those are fair enough terms.  :-+
I'll also make a little donation to the charity of your choice and if I win the meter can go to a E.E. student at the Technical University in Varna Bulgaria.I tutor some students from there to help with their English and they could really use a decent meter. :-DMM

What do you mean by "win", is there some sort of contest or you win by buying it?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2016, 04:28:54 am »
ez,

You'll have to rewind a bit in this thread for context. Start at about https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-bm235-multimeter-dilemma/msg878802/#msg878802 (or back up some more to get the very beginning of the conversation).

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2016, 06:04:21 am »
ez,

You'll have to rewind a bit in this thread for context. Start at about https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-bm235-multimeter-dilemma/msg878802/#msg878802 (or back up some more to get the very beginning of the conversation).

was it this bet ?
I'll bet you a free multimeter you are wrong.

I thought there was a drawing for Dave's meter that I missed  :(
I did sign up for the Keysight at their website
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Johnny Electron

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2016, 12:07:18 pm »
Just backordered one!  My wife won't be happy.  Already own a bm869s, bm857s, bm257s, and a bm65s(ac\dc clamp meter).  Not to mention 4 fluke meters, 2 Agilent, and 5 other branded meters. 

My name is john and I'm a multimeter addict!  it's been none days since my last purchase.

I voted no on crowd funding.  I also believe that should be for startup on new projects only and not to fund inventory purchases on existing products.

Keep up the good work Dave!

John D

Michigan, USA
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:11:02 pm by Johnny Electron »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2016, 11:13:36 pm »
Already own a bm869s, bm857s, bm257s, and a bm65s(ac\dc clamp meter).  Not to mention 4 fluke meters, 2 Agilent, and 5 other branded meters. 

My name is john and I'm a multimeter addict!
Pictures of the above as per??

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/show-your-multimeter!/

Offline Johnny Electron

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2016, 12:02:20 am »
Already own a bm869s, bm857s, bm257s, and a bm65s(ac\dc clamp meter).  Not to mention 4 fluke meters, 2 Agilent, and 5 other branded meters. 

My name is john and I'm a multimeter addict!
Pictures of the above as per??

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/show-your-multimeter!/

I posted in the link you provided but I'll attach a pic here for convenience.  That's most of them anyways :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:06:04 am by Johnny Electron »

Offline leafman

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2016, 11:18:38 pm »
Damn, thats a nice collection of meters.  I've been waiting 3 days since my EEVblog meter got into my town and canada post is still sitting on it not delivering it :|

I have a fluke 87v and a surprisingly accurate no-name chinese meter for low energy stuff, so no real need but cant have too many meters!

Offline Johnny Electron

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2016, 01:56:30 am »
Damn, thats a nice collection of meters.  I've been waiting 3 days since my EEVblog meter got into my town and canada post is still sitting on it not delivering it :|

Thanks.  At least someone appreciates my multimeters, my wife sure doesn't!   ;)
My eevblog branded meter is on back order until April or whenever (I don't really mind waiting.  Maybe the backlight noise will be fixed on the next batch.) I hope Canada post delivers yours soon.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2016, 03:18:35 am »
That's quite a collection! :-DMM Do you (ab)use them all? If not, which get the most on-time?

Offline canthearu

« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2016, 02:17:54 pm »
I'm having some trouble pre-ordering one of your Multimeters

I am not able to select Australia as a shipping destination ...

Offline Johnny Electron

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2016, 01:44:17 am »
That's quite a collection! :-DMM Do you (ab)use them all? If not, which get the most on-time?

They all have their uses and some features I feel are better on certain meters. 

I had to do some quick troubleshooting today and I must say,  I do tend to grab the fluke 117 more times than not when I'm heading out the door.  It's small enough for a winter coat pocket without much fuss.  The brymen bm257s has been in a coat pocket more than a few times as well but not as much as the fluke 117.  The fluke 179 is another favorite if I'm toating a meter around.  The larger meters tend to stay on the bench most of the time.  They all get their 'on' time though.  I don't usually need very high accuracy for the work I do.  The hobby work on the bench can be the opposite sometimes...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:16:14 pm by Johnny Electron »

Offline 1Ghz

• Supporter
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2016, 09:41:48 am »
I just backordered one.  :-DMM
I can’t wait for EEVBlog BM235!  ;D

Offline thisguy

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2016, 04:34:42 am »
I backordered one as well, but for more excitement I put small typo in my mailing address. |O I sent a correction to the order confirmation address and CC'd Dave, so I hope he makes it through his email backlog before sending out the next batch. :palm:  (I'm kind of wondering how the payment went through. Usually payment authorization involves verifying the billing address prior to approval.)

But, yeah, I'm excited to get the EEVBlog branded meter!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2016, 06:25:41 am »
Just thought I'd throw this into the ring....

While I have been enjoying a new meter, there is always the question of what to do with the accessories so you don't need to hunt for them when you want them.

With my BM235, here is my solution:

1. Detachable  probe caps.  These just live on the end of the probes and only come off when necessary.
2. Thermocouple.  Keeping company with other meter bits and pieces in a box somewhere.  (Can't remember when I last used one.)
3. Banana plug adapters.  Hmmm....  These get used more frequently than I would have expected - and they make for a solid, convenient connection.  But they are small and easily lost, so I came up with this little idea - and it's been working well....

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:27:32 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: tcottle, MarvinTheMartian

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2016, 06:36:04 am »
3. Banana plug adapters.  Hmmm....  These get used more frequently than I would have expected - and they make for a solid, convenient connection.  But they are small and easily lost, so I came up with this little idea - and it's been working well....
Good idea Brumby!

I'll do the same (though I might use a bit of high density foam instead to make it simple to get out when needed, yet firmly fixed in place until then).  :-+
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2016, 06:38:24 am »
I've had no problems with the bubble wrap.  It's pretty well wedged in - and all it takes is the tip of a probe to get the extraction process started.

Really cheap and easily replaceable, too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf