Author Topic: Need a simple Ohmmeter for easy data logging to Excel  (Read 7675 times)

Online HighVoltageTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Need a simple Ohmmeter for easy data logging to Excel
« on: November 29, 2014, 03:58:47 pm »
I a production environment I need a simple ohm meter (Multimeter) that has the capability to log the data to Excel.

Best would be to have an instrument that can take a sample, holds the sample, writes the sample to Excel and is ready for the next measurement.

Essentially, we only need to measure a resistance value of like 10 resistors and log the data for a quick analysis.

Is there a solution for this already on the market?
It should be a simple solution, since this will be used none technical people.

A low cost solution would be preferred for this application.
If that is not possible, the budget is for up to Euro 1000

Thanks for any suggestions.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline biot

• Regular Contributor
Re: Need a simple Ohmmeter for easy data logging to Excel
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 04:17:23 pm »
Just get a basic multimeter with PC connectivity. We keep a reasonably complete list of them at http://sigrok.org/wiki/Supported_hardware#Multimeters. You can use sigrok to implement this application, since we support nearly all hardware in that list.

However even if you don't want to use sigrok, note that we publish the protocol or links to protocol docs for all that hardware, so it's still doable to implement your own application from scratch with that.

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:04:01 pm »
Sorry for the OT, but since you mentioned Sigrok... do you know if the Rigol 1000z series will be implemented?
Thanks
Mauro

Offline TSL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 09:30:06 pm »
G'Day,

I do exactly this with a Fluke 45 multimeter.

My Fluke 45 has a an RS232 serial interface on it that plugs into the PC.

Fluke have a macro plugin for Excel that enables Excel to talk directly to the meter and capture data.

Of course now that I look for it I cant find it and the only Excel plugins I have on my Lab pc are those to talk to my HP kit  :wtf:

No other software required.

Fluke 45's, while being an older meter, are an extremely capable instrument and can be found on Ebay for 100 - 500 Euro

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XFluke+45&_nkw=FLuke+45&_sacat=0

cheers

Tim

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:08:34 am by TSL »
VK2XAX :: QF56if :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:34:55 pm »
When you spoke of simple data logging multimeter, then any UNI-T handheld with RS232 would do the job for VERY cheap.

But for a lot less than EUR1000 you can get a Rigol DM3058E 5.5 digit bench meter and use its SCPI over USB interface, indeed you could get the top of the range Rigol DM3068 with 6.5 digits and all the inputs and outputs you can shake a stick at.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 10:43:02 pm »
I think the missing piece of the puzzle here is the Excel interface. A production environment needs a nice simple Excel app with some buttons like "start test", "next measurement", "analyze results". It could be programmed using VBA or one of the later and more complicated replacements like VSTO. This Excel app would most naturally and conveniently be able to acquire the data directly from the meter logging software, which means the meter software would have to support application extensions or programmable operation.

As I write this I get the feeling this is a natural job for a bench meter with a GPIB interface or something similar?

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 11:11:08 pm »
I think the missing piece of the puzzle here is the Excel interface. A production environment needs a nice simple Excel app with some buttons like "start test", "next measurement", "analyze results". It could be programmed using VBA or one of the later and more complicated replacements like VSTO. This Excel app would most naturally and conveniently be able to acquire the data directly from the meter logging software, which means the meter software would have to support application extensions or programmable operation.

As I write this I get the feeling this is a natural job for a bench meter with a GPIB interface or something similar?
I agree. Get a bench meter with a SCPI interface, especially if EUR1000 is available. I can imagine there will be far more spent developing the Excel app than the cost of the meter. Hardware GPIB is not needed unless for legacy reasons.

USB or Ethernet LXI or even RS232 is great if using the free NI-VISA or HP/Agilent/Keysight VISA drivers. I stick with NI myself so I don't have to worry about marketing wankers changing their firms names every five minutes.  :palm:

Offline biot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 02:51:43 am »
Sorry for the OT, but since you mentioned Sigrok... do you know if the Rigol 1000z series will be implemented?
We just need somebody that owns one to show up and add support for it to our existing Rigol driver. It shouldn't be hard, as the driver is based on SCPI commands and reasonably generic.

Offline Flenser

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 04:46:47 am »
Dave did something similar to this in EEVblog #216. He takes advantage of the way his Aligent DMM works to automatically log the measurements for 100's of resistors so that he can check the distribution of a batch.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 11:53:27 am »
Just get a basic multimeter with PC connectivity. We keep a reasonably complete list of them at http://sigrok.org/wiki/Supported_hardware#Multimeters. You can use sigrok to implement this application, since we support nearly all hardware in that list.

However even if you don't want to use sigrok, note that we publish the protocol or links to protocol docs for all that hardware, so it's still doable to implement your own application from scratch with that.
Thanks for the link, I will have a look.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 11:55:20 am »
G'Day,

I do exactly this with a Fluke 45 multimeter.

My Fluke 45 has a an RS232 serial interface on it that plugs into the PC.

Fluke have a macro plugin for Excel that enables Excel to talk directly to the meter and capture data.

Of course now that I look for it I cant find it and the only Excel plugins I have on my Lab pc are those to talk to my HP kit  :wtf:

No other software required.

Fluke 45's, while being an older meter, are an extremely capable instrument and can be found on Ebay for 100 - 500 Euro

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XFluke+45&_nkw=FLuke+45&_sacat=0

cheers

Tim
Tim,
The Fluke 45 would be an alternative, thanks for this info.
Do you think you can find the plugin?
Thanks

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 12:00:28 pm »
Dave did something similar to this in EEVblog #216. He takes advantage of the way his Aligent DMM works to automatically log the measurements for 100's of resistors so that he can check the distribution of a batch.
Flenser
I just looked at the #216 video and this might work just well enough. The none technical people can collect the values and others in the office can download and analyze them. This might be the best solution so far.

I will order an Agilent U1272A
Or is there a better one of the Agilent Handheld meters, since the U1272A is a few years old now and some of the newer models have may be a better implementation?

Thank you all for some great feedback.

Offline biot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 03:37:19 pm »
I just looked at the #216 video and this might work just well enough. The none technical people can collect the values and others in the office can download and analyze them. This might be the best solution so far.

I will order an Agilent U1272A
Or is there a better one of the Agilent Handheld meters, since the U1272A is a few years old now and some of the newer models have may be a better implementation?
Did you watch that video all the way through? I remember watching it, and going "uh oh!" the moment Dave said he'd use the vendor software to download the data into Excel. Skip to 33:00 to find out what happens when you count on vendor software "just working".

Software is all too often an afterthought with hardware vendors, and it shows in the quality first and foremost. This forum is full of comments like "the hardware is nice, but the software is crap."

Even a vendor like Agilent is not immune to this, and it's nicer than most -- which should tell you something.

Write your own app, or use sigrok, but most of all download the measurements live as they come in if at all possible.

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 12:30:50 am »
We just need somebody that owns one to show up and add support for it to our existing Rigol driver. It shouldn't be hard, as the driver is based on SCPI commands and reasonably generic.

Well, i have a DS1104z and will be proud to contribute.
Really don't know if I'm capable but I would like to try.

I will start a new tread hoping that someone will give me some advise on how to proceed.
Thanks
Mauro

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf