Author Topic: FeelTech FY3224S 24MHz 2-Channel DDS AW Function Signal Generator  (Read 347651 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: FeelTech FY3224S 24MHz 2-Channel DDS AW Function Signal Generator
« Reply #400 on: November 06, 2016, 02:50:28 am »
Thanks for the info on version 3.5, CCB. Sounds like fun stuff to tinker with. It'd be nice if they fixed the non-contiguous waveform during frequency changes.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline n8falke

« Reply #401 on: November 23, 2016, 02:50:38 pm »
Hi community,
today my 3200S (24-MHz Version) arrived, but the cd can not be reed!
I want to download them from feel tech.net, but the website don't answer here in Germany.

Now, i need a driver & software packet to get them work on my PC.
Can every body send me a link to download them or has a information how to get?

Thank you very much.

PS: I download the manual from the website successfully but there is no DRIVER in it?
How to get the driver for Windows?!?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:18:01 pm by n8falke »

Offline r4ptor

• Contributor
« Reply #402 on: November 23, 2016, 07:22:09 pm »
Hi community,
today my 3200S (24-MHz Version) arrived, but the cd can not be reed!
I want to download them from feel tech.net, but the website don't answer here in Germany.

Now, i need a driver & software packet to get them work on my PC.
Can every body send me a link to download them or has a information how to get?

Thank you very much.

PS: I download the manual from the website successfully but there is no DRIVER in it?
How to get the driver for Windows?!?

As I may quote GigaJoe who posted this earlier in this thread:

latest software version 2.2  + manual +  communication protocol spec ;  2016MAY11
http://en.feeltech.net/index.php?case=attachment&act=down&aid=47

CH 340 USB drivers
http://en.feeltech.net/index.php?case=attachment&act=down&aid=25

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #403 on: November 30, 2016, 11:15:04 pm »
Just ordered this little gizmo online, but I'm pretty sure it will arrive with firmware version 2.0.
Is there any way the user can update the firmware, or the one you get with the device is the one you are stuck with?

Well, whaddayaknow, it came with version 3.5.
My questions still stands, though, at least as a curiosity.

Also, I noted that the label on the bottom says: "o 12M  x 24M  o 25M". Mine is 24MHz.
Anybody has the 25 MHz version? What's the point of having 24 and 25 MHz versions?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:27:30 pm by Sredni »
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #404 on: December 07, 2016, 01:44:32 am »
I also noticed that 25 MHz version on the newer units, but have not seen one marked as such. Why the extra 1 MHz? A guess is to match the competing MHS-5200 at 25 MHz.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #405 on: December 09, 2016, 04:50:11 am »
is it possible to calibrate the generator (by beating a 10, 15 MHz, etc. carrier against WWV ) Is there an adjustment pot or pad somewhere on the unit?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline electro_pt

« Reply #406 on: December 17, 2016, 05:26:28 pm »
Was planning on getting one of these to help me continue learning more about electronics.  First thing on the list of MODs was the PSU improvement.  Reply #325 (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/feeltech-fy3224s-24mhz-2-channel-dds-aw-function-signal-generator/msg964553/#msg964553)  has a simple and inexpensive solution to the PSU concern to isolate the BNC ground from any other ground (or semi-ground as in the as-received unit).  Since this floats the ground, would there be any issue with adding a switch to connect mains ground to the BNC ground as well?  In that way the generator could have a floating ground or mains ground.

Also, one of the previous posts mentioned a USB isolator (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-USB-Isolator-Magnetic-Coupling-Isolation-ADUM4160-USB-to-USB-/141998972441?hash=item210fcc5e19:g:aVAAAOSwEa5XPrRb) as well.  Anyone tried this?  Would be simple way to fully isolate the device, albeit between the USB isolator and PSU isolator would almost double the unit's price.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #407 on: December 18, 2016, 07:19:22 am »
is it possible to calibrate the generator (by beating a 10, 15 MHz, etc. carrier against WWV ) Is there an adjustment pot or pad somewhere on the unit?

No calibration that I'm aware of.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #408 on: December 18, 2016, 07:26:25 am »
Since this floats the ground, would there be any issue with adding a switch to connect mains ground to the BNC ground as well?  In that way the generator could have a floating ground or mains ground.

Yes, it can and has been done. See reply #219.

Also, one of the previous posts mentioned a USB isolator (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-USB-Isolator-Magnetic-Coupling-Isolation-ADUM4160-USB-to-USB-/141998972441?hash=item210fcc5e19:g:aVAAAOSwEa5XPrRb) as well.  Anyone tried this?  Would be simple way to fully isolate the device, albeit between the USB isolator and PSU isolator would almost double the unit's price.

SteveyG added USB isolation among other mods in a series of videos. The USB isolator is covered in the video in reply #321.

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #409 on: December 18, 2016, 09:30:43 am »
Now there is discount with -15% off at banggood with coupon code "EMRLSP" for 3224s.

The following users thanked this post: chemary, bitseeker

Offline jcrubin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Technocoma
« Reply #410 on: December 22, 2016, 11:24:44 pm »
Can anyone confirm that the new firmware does or does not have triggering for the sweep function, for the input of an oscope trigger
CVM CATAPVLTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERVNT TVM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPVLTAS HABEBVNT

https://www.youtube.com/c/jordanrubin6502

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #411 on: December 23, 2016, 06:17:46 am »

Power Supply - still has leakage the same as other versions.
Interesting there is new power supply pcb board with input connectors on input. In mine FG they are directly soldered wires on input which is ugly. Now I have some improvements about earth grounding and leakage with upgraded input power socket.

Offline mcmusic

• Contributor
« Reply #412 on: January 04, 2017, 11:50:50 am »
added 3wire power socket, but, instead short connection of central ground power wire and the device ground I use a 2.2mf 250V capacitor (110V wall power) voltage drop to 0.1V , did I made it right ?

still some noise at range 10-20 mV in the output signal, some 10-20 MHz

Hi everybody,
I also got one of these marvels. I wonder why GigaJoe in post #215 never got a suffucient answer (at least I found none) to the idea of using a capacitor between central ground power wire and the device ground. He measured a very small voltage of 0.1V between the 2 grounds, which should be harmless to any circuit the generator is attached to. And the outputs are still kind of "floating", aren't they? I am thinking about using a switch which selects A) a direct connection between central ground power wire and the device ground (the solution most people use) or B) the 2.2µF capacitor between central ground power wire and the device ground that GigaJoe has proposed.
BTW, I think it was a 2.2 µF =microFarad what he meant, not 2.2mf = milliFarad as he wrote.
My results, measured with an elderly Metex M-3640-D True RMS meter:
AC Voltage without Cap: 54.8V. With 2.2µF: 0.047V
AC Current without Cap: 785µA. With 2.2µF: 38 µA

Greetings,
mcmusic
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:51:34 pm by mcmusic »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #413 on: January 04, 2017, 05:51:23 pm »
It's possible that GigaJoe's post was simply missed. Sorry, Joe.

Using a capacitor from the power connector's ground lead to the chassis ground will help reduce noise, but will not provide the same level of protection as connecting them directly. It's floating to a degree. So, it depends what your goals/requirements are. I supposed you could use a switch to be able to choose one of three configurations: grounded, filtered, floating.

Offline ntoobe

• DIY, electronics, tinkering.
    • nTOOBE
« Reply #414 on: January 05, 2017, 08:15:48 pm »

Would it be wrong to just connect siggen's socket to something grounded, like scope instead adding IEC socket and switch?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #415 on: January 06, 2017, 12:44:06 am »
The reason for grounding the device is to prevent the leakage from potentially blowing sensitive circuits. If you're connecting to something that doesn't mind the voltage levels, then there's no issue. But you'd have to remember that the potential is always there (pun intended, of course ^-^).

Offline mcmusic

• Contributor
« Reply #416 on: January 06, 2017, 07:57:54 pm »
Would it be wrong to just connect siggen's socket to something grounded, like scope instead adding IEC socket and switch?

ntoobe,
electrically this is sufficient (in the cases bitseeker described). However, I would not use it as this. Very easily one of the clips can come off.

You could use a less wiggly BNC cable and connect it between one of the often unused TTL-Outputs in the back of the 3224 and another grounded BNC connector.

Greetings,
mcmusic

Offline rad400

• Contributor
« Reply #417 on: January 10, 2017, 03:06:30 pm »
I have been looking to low cost freq Gen and was looking at both the Feetech FY3224s and the HM Instek HM5400 which are very similar to each other for price and Freq range.  Initially was going with the Feeltech but after reading the leakage/power supply issues, not sure now.   Any thoughts of which would be a better one to purchase.

Thanks,
RAD400

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #418 on: January 10, 2017, 03:32:49 pm »
It's such a good deal, relative to its competitors, though, and grounding it well through a three wire cord is easy, and eliminates the voltage issue.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #419 on: January 10, 2017, 04:20:27 pm »
It's such a good deal, relative to its competitors, though, and grounding it well through a three wire cord is easy, and eliminates the voltage issue.

If it's that easy and cheap to solve the grounding issue, why does the Chinese manufacturer not do it themselves already in the factory? Stupidity and/or stubbornness?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #420 on: January 10, 2017, 10:27:43 pm »

If it's that easy and cheap to solve the grounding issue, why does the Chinese manufacturer not do it themselves already in the factory? Stupidity and/or stubbornness?

They probably sell plenty without making the change. :-//

Offline s1ig0

« Reply #421 on: January 18, 2017, 09:24:24 pm »
Hi guys, just received my new FY3200 24MHz FG today and I've noticed that the frequency is off by approximately 5%.  So, when the FG is set to 1k the hardware counter on my DSO reads 952Hz and at 10k it reads 9.52k.  My DMM has a basic counter and it gives the same reading as the DSO.  There's no offset; function=sine.  Have I done something wrong?    Is this a common problem?

The following users thanked this post: richie

Offline s1ig0

« Reply #422 on: January 18, 2017, 09:30:15 pm »
I should also have mentioned that the FGs own counter is also off by 5%.  So, when I feed the 1k signal back to the FG it reads 1k.  If I feed an external 1k signal (calibrated by my DSOs hardware counter) the FG reports that it's off by 5%.  So, this issue affects the signal generation *and* the counter by the looks of it.

Offline SaabFAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #423 on: January 18, 2017, 09:39:52 pm »
Can anyone check if they have the same amount of distortion at frequencies higher than 18,2MHz?

I am beginning to suspect that I got a faulty unit.
Signal-Settings: Sine-Wave, 1V Amplitude, 0% DC-Offset.
Measured with an Advantest R3131A Spectrum Analyzer.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #424 on: January 19, 2017, 03:25:15 am »
I should also have mentioned that the FGs own counter is also off by 5%.  So, when I feed the 1k signal back to the FG it reads 1k.  If I feed an external 1k signal (calibrated by my DSOs hardware counter) the FG reports that it's off by 5%.  So, this issue affects the signal generation *and* the counter by the looks of it.

They're both based on the same internal clock, so they'll both be affected.

I haven't heard of one of these being that far off, not that I've seen a large number of these generators. However, if you have access to a GPSDO, Rubidium, or other high-stability oscillator or a counter with one as its external clock, that'd be a better basis for verifying your signal generator's accuracy.

If you're using an oscillator directly, use your scope to compare its output signal to that of the 3224 at the same frequency. You'll see how much drift there is between them. Alternatively, if your scope can accept the oscillator's signal as an external clock, then that'll improve the scope's accuracy for measuring the generator.

With a universal/frequency counter that has a highly stable external oscillator, you can directly measure the generator's output frequency.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf