Author Topic: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator  (Read 549208 times)

Offline feeltech

• Contributor
  • !
Re: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 03:24:06 am »
Hi

I have just discovered this forum searching the web for any Feeltech support...

Ordered on eBay, my FY6600 has been delivered today and after checking its CD proved not to be properly burned. Could somebody be so kind and upload somewhere (any cyberlocker You like:  https://mega.nz  https://mediafire.com  http://catshare.net ....) zipped all its content ??

A link to uploaded CD, posted earlier in this thread is down now.

Many Thanks!
FY6600 User Guidehttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3N_NW8vylrmaHFRLXloOVJQYjA/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:27:08 am by feeltech »
FeelTech-Professional signal generator and liquid crystal solution
Provide custom development services!
Invites all agents to join us.

Offline sintechs

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2017, 12:01:55 pm »
but FY6600 after the product we will add online upgrade function.
You mean that FY6600 already has the ability to upgrade firmware online?
I'm asking this because some sellers have FW ver. 2.6, others 2.8.
Does it make sense to buy the latest firmware now, if online upgrade going to be available soon?
Could you please describe the difference between 2.6, 2.8, 2.9?

Offline feeltech

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2017, 09:04:14 am »
but FY6600 after the product we will add online upgrade function.
You mean that FY6600 already has the ability to upgrade firmware online?
I'm asking this because some sellers have FW ver. 2.6, others 2.8.
Does it make sense to buy the latest firmware now, if online upgrade going to be available soon?
Could you please describe the difference between 2.6, 2.8, 2.9?
Function is not much difference, just fix some of the different languages show the problem
FeelTech-Professional signal generator and liquid crystal solution
Provide custom development services!
Invites all agents to join us.

Offline Ebel0410

• Contributor
Hi

I have just discovered this forum searching the web for any Feeltech support...

Ordered on eBay, my FY6600 has been delivered today and after checking its CD proved not to be properly burned. .../...
A link to uploaded CD, posted earlier in this thread is down now.

Many Thanks!

Hi all,
The same for me, the CD I received with the Feeltech FY6600 (rev 3.1) last week is 100% unreadable (I checked it on 3 PC, all 3 with the same issue)
I really need the software to play arbitrary signals.
Someone can help me by posting the software ? (email or cloud)

Thanks a lot

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
Hi All

also got a FeelTech FY6600
regarding CD: I don't even know if I can read it. I do have an old PC with CD collecting dust somewhere, but I don't feel like digging it out. So if anyone does get a link...

I played around a bit with the FY6600, and it seems to work OK. Sine is exactly the same as generated by the one build into my DS1074Z-S. (I compared with A-B math function) Square has a slightly better rise time (about 8ms instead of the 12ns of the build in.) And control is a *lot* easier. That is the biggest problem with the DS1074Z-S build in: really bad controls. Frequency wise, on a 15Mhz signal, they differ about 100Hz, drifting back and forth a bit. So about 6ppm. I suspect that is pretty OK for cheap equipment like these two.

Signal wise, I found only one problem: all vertical edges (square, step, sawtooth) have a 5ns variance in timing. Regardless of the frequency, you always get runt edges 5ns apart. I suspect the max resolution of some internal CPU or DAC frequency is showing here. It of course is only important for higher frequencies, shown is 15Mhz. The Blue one is the DS1074S-Z internal signal, its fuzzy because I am triggering on the yellow FY6600. As you can see, apart from the 5ns variance, the FY6600 has a better rise time and a better shape.

Control wise, it works a *lot* better then the DS1074Z-S internal signal gen. Pretty intuitive too.

A few minor control annoyances:

- You cannot stop the modulation. You can select other modulation parameters, but you cannot stop. The only way I found is to set it to use Channel 2 as mod source (that is default anyway) and then stop channel 2. That will go back to normal signal gen mode. Unlike Sweep, which you can start, and stop at will. Just press CH1...Doh.

- The "Wave" button does not only highlight the waveform menu option, so the rotary button can be used on that menu, but immediately advances the value selection as well. Iow, selects the next waveform. This is different than all the other buttons (like Freq, Ampl, Offs, Duty, Phas) which all select the menu on the first press, and only the second press advances the value (or you can use the rotary button). Not very important, but a bit annoying.

- 00'010.000'000'000KHz is a pretty weird way of writing 10 Khz. I had to stare at that for a while. I think there are better ways to indicate the frequency. 
Edit: And now it is displaying 00'002'000'000'000uHz to show 2KHz. 2 billion microHerz  :palm: Must be a setting somewhere.... OK, not important. The value is technically correct.

So since FeelTech seems to be reading this topic, please take note.

Thanks

Edit: to get these square waves without overshoot, I had to properly terminate with 50 Ohm.
Edit2: This is a FY6600-60M version 3.1 English

More edit: SYNC

I also played with the SYNC function. It has external SYNC in and out, and supposedly you can link multiple devices together, as well as sync CH1 anc CH2.
Some problems with both:

While I do not have two devices, when I put mine in master mode, all it outputs is a 1V square wave that matches CH1 (0V~1V 50 Ohm). No fancy protocol. So you'd think I can also link any other signal source if I match that. No avail, whatever I try, I am not getting it to follow another signal source. Some disclosure by FeelTech would be nice.

SYNC between CH1 and CH2 it works better. It all works nicely at lower frequencies, lets say < 5MHz, but at higher frequencies, the phase starts to go wrong.

The problem seems to be that CH1 and CH2, when "in phase" are still 4ns apart. Again this 4ns (I now believe the 5ns above is also 4ns)
This is of course due to the 250MSa/s specification for the device: 250MSa/s means 1 sample every 4 ns

That means that if you specify 0 degree phase difference, at <5 MHz frequencies, they are pretty much in sync (4ns = 7 degrees).
But at 60MHz they are pretty much in quadrature (4ns = 86 degrees)
So if you specify 86 degrees offset, they are actually in-phase.

So, at 5Mhz, in-phase is indeed in-phase (roughly). But then if you dial up to 60MHz, you visibly see it shift out of phase.
Now here is the weird thing: You can still then correct the 60MHz to in=phase, by setting it to 86 degrees.
And even weirder, somehow you can also set it to all phases in-between with a pretty good resolution.
I think its because the Sine at this point is filtered rather then sampled, but I was still surprised by it.

It does mean FeelTech could fix this, they could "correct" the phase automatically with software, just like I can manually.
And indeed, the DS1074Z-S internal generator does not have these problems, even though its only using a 200MSa/s DAC.
Use equal length cables dummy!

Yet more edit: SWEEP

It works. But I suddenly realize I miss a sweep/trace/scan output. Not sure what the name is. But a sawtooth that shows how far the sweep is, and that I can feed into my scope as X trigger.

One could naturally have this if CH2 could be used as driver for the sweep in stead of VCO, but that is not an option: only fixed time window and VCO are allowable sources.
So I took CH2, looped it into the VCO and that works but it is a bit unclean. In fact, I found it better to simply put a sawtooth on CH2 and do FM modulation, that also causes a frequency sweep. AM for amplitude sweep. For PWM, still have to use the CH2-VCO loop.

Request/suggestion to Feeltech: allow CH2 as source for Sweep, using the default 5Vpp as normal rather then the 0-5V from VCO. Or alternatively, output the set sweep time values as sawtooth on CH2.

Still good. I wanted a device that is easier to control then the DS1074Z-S internal one, and that can do SWEEP.
I don't think I will be often running at high frequencies. And the sweep is 'workable'. So I am happy with the device. For now.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:44:47 pm by cybermaus »

The following users thanked this post: kahe40, xzswq21, ahope

Offline Ebel0410

• Contributor
Hi there,

I ordered one for its capabilities with arbitrary signals and modulation too.
I played around with it (FY6600-30M version 3.1 English)  for days now, its a nice generator full of features and not very expensive.

but I'm facing a weird situation with the sine wave, and only with the sine on both channels. |O

When I select the sine wave from the stored waves (1st position, not arbitrary number 24 which is okay), sine is no more displayed on the FY6600 screen like other waveforms, and the signal on the output is really crapy.
The sine wave seems to be "modulated" with sharp pulses.
It happens only with the sine wave selected, other waveforms are ok.

I made a soft reset, tried to play with all the parameters and found nothing relevant to restore that situation.

I really need some help from you guys ;-)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:25:27 pm by Ebel0410 »

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
Was it always like that, or is that new?
What exactly do you mean by: "sine is no more displayed on the FY6600 screen like other waveforms"

My interpretation of that phrase is: The little graph/icon of the waveform is gone or messed up.
Maybe add a photo? And a snapshot of the actual waveform with peaks?

But if so, I would guess flash/eeprom corruption of the area where waveform 1 is stored.

Did you manage to get the software to work, and did you upload your own arbitrary waveforms?
Because I guess they are all stored waveforms, maybe it is a bug and the  software accidentally overwrite the Sine instead of Arb1

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
A couple of people have been unable to read the CD that came with their generator.  Unfortunately the Feeltech website (http://en.feeltech.net/) does not have FY6600 files for download yet.  Since I was able to read my CD I made a zip file of just the files relevant to the FY6600 and put it up on https://wetransfer.com/ on a free hosting.  Since this is a free hosting it will only be available for 7 days so get it right away.

https://we.tl/2UmRtktEZy

I haven't loaded it myself yet but would be interested in folk's experience with it.

Enjoy

The following users thanked this post: kahe40, sorin, cybermaus, bitseeker, bsudbrink, tek2232, xzswq21, Ebel0410, maddin

Offline Ebel0410

• Contributor
Was it always like that, or is that new?
What exactly do you mean by: "sine is no more displayed on the FY6600 screen like other waveforms"
New after using 2 times
My interpretation of that phrase is: The little graph/icon of the waveform is gone or messed up.
Maybe add a photo? And a snapshot of the actual waveform with peaks?
When the sine waveform is selected, the graph on the display is now a flat line  :-[

But if so, I would guess flash/eeprom corruption of the area where waveform 1 is stored.
Did you manage to get the software to work, and did you upload your own arbitrary waveforms?
Because I guess they are all stored waveforms, maybe it is a bug and the  software accidentally overwrite the Sine instead of Arb1
I agree with you, something went wrong with data stored in the eeprom.
Today I've installed the program on my PC, however there's no way to overwrite the datas stored in the eeprom (only the bank corresponding to the arbitrary waves from 1 to 64 slots can be managed)

Thanks Cybermaus for your help :)

The following users thanked this post: supertrabuco

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Contact the seller about getting it repaired or replaced under warranty.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline xzswq21

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2017, 02:52:09 pm »
Hello
I want to buy a function generator
which one has the better quality? JDS600 or FY6600?

Thanks
❤ ❤

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2017, 03:30:33 pm »
Hard to say man.

My personal feel is FY has more options, and if you look at the square wave rise time in this link from the JDS thread vs mine above, I'd say FY also as better quality in square signals (they all can do a proper Sine, sine is easy, that's why they always rate their highest frequency on the Sine wave).

But in reality: If you want "quality" above 5MHz you'd probably need to step up your budget.
And if you are looking for play and hobby, they are probably both "good enough"

Thats my 5ct anyway. No-one seems to actually have both devices, so its all subjective.

The following users thanked this post: xzswq21

Offline xzswq21

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2017, 04:15:35 pm »
Dear
I want to tune my medical board. I should increase the frequency from 10KHz to 20MHz and check the close loop response (AC Analysis)
another usage is checking the step response of my circuit. actually measuring the amount of overshoot. 100KHz or 1MHz clean pulse waveform is adequate.
all the ports are terminated at 50R. the test signal should be 1Vpp at 50R.
if you have one please show me the quality of square wave from 10KHz to the Maximum frequency. it's very important.

Regards
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 04:22:11 pm by xzswq21 »
❤ ❤

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2017, 09:02:06 pm »
10KHz 1Vpp terminated at 50 Ohm (so shows as 0.5Vpp):

Same, but completely zoomed into risetime of 7.4ns (see measurement in lower left corner)
A small wiggle, not does not really overshoot at all.

Same, but at 1MHz 10MHz

Same but at 25MHz, the official top frequency for square wave for this device
Note that there are no 5ns runt flanks as described in the post above. That is because 25MHz is a perfect divider of the 250MSa/s DAC. With 24MHz or 26MHZ runt flanks again.

Same, but at 50MHz square pulse. This is above device specification, but you can turn the knob up all the way to this.
It basically became an attenuated sine wave, not really a square anymore:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:17:50 am by cybermaus »

Offline xzswq21

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2017, 10:33:33 pm »
Dear
I really appreciate you for your work :)
I think the quality is good.
actually when you have a 50MHz sine generator the maximum frequency of a good quality Square wave should be 10MHz.
consider you want to design a 50MHz sine signal generator. you should filter the output to have a good SNR and THD.
for example you set the f-3dB of the LPF at 75MHz.
now if you order to generate a 50MHz square signal it will be Sine signal as you have shown in the above pic! :)
it's not a drawback.

another way is converting a sine signal to a square signal using a fast comparator and a high speed buffer.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/May-Jun_2013/Fernandes_QEX_5_13.pdf
 :popcorn:
http://www.high-voltage-lab.com/186/self-powered-sine-to-square-wave-converter

you can see a 200MHz high quality signal generator in the below! (it's only 100$)
look at the Spectrum Analyzer's pics.
https://www.circuitsonline.net/forum/view/130301
it's another project:
https://wiki.electroniciens.cnrs.fr/index.php/Le_groupe_DDS
AD9954 is another DDS IC. (check aliexpress or ebay)

if you have free time would you please do a test?
set your function generator in Sine mode and 2Vpp. (terminate your Oscope at 50R)
change the frequency from 10KHz to the maximum frequency step by step. (for example in 10 steps ... more points is better)
each time turn on the FFT function and set the Average to 64 or 128.
now measure the peak magnitude and write it in a Table.
would you share the Table? :)

Best Regards
❤ ❤

Offline Ebel0410

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2017, 09:43:06 am »
Hi all,

Just a practical tip if you tried to talk with the FY6600 over serial com port.
The parameters are 115200/8/n/1 and not 9600/8/n/1 as described in the documentation.

Enjoy talking with your FY6600 !

In attachment, the response to UMO command (return the model of your generator)

Offline maddin

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2017, 07:09:51 pm »
Hello together,
i have also ordered a FY6600. Because there seems to be a lot of trouble reading the CD i have load the software from the link gpy posted.
Thanks to gpy for upload the CD.

I have scanned the "FY6600 PC Software V5.2.exe" on virustotal.com ; one result: Suspicious_GEN.F47V1016 :-//
Should i been concerned about this ? What's  your experience with the software ?

Best regards
maddin

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2017, 07:20:57 pm »
Lots of antivirus programs will see an unknown .EXE file as a potential threat and flag it as suspicious. I doubt you have anything to worry about, nobody else here has reported any problems apart from the odd difficulty reading the CD.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: xzswq21, maskedviperus

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2017, 07:29:32 pm »
Then again, if most owners can't read their CD and, prior to gby uploading, didn't have another means for acquiring the software, there could be something awry that we haven't heard about.

It's likely a false alarm, but not a lot of info either way.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline xzswq21

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2017, 08:20:53 pm »
I would be grateful if you could do the below test:
if you have free time

set your function generator in Sine mode and 2Vpp. (or 2Vpp RMS) (terminate your Oscope at 50R)
change the frequency from 10KHz to the maximum frequency step by step. (for example in 10 steps ... more points is better)
each time turn on the FFT function and set the Average to 64 or 128.
now measure the peak magnitude and write it in a Table.
would you share the Table? :)

Best Regards
❤ ❤

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2017, 08:32:28 pm »
it would drop I expect by quite a large percentage as you approach the upper limits, I know that the previous round of such devices did.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2017, 08:34:55 pm »
Regarding the "virus" : run it against https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload to see if it is a false positive

Regarding the FFT request: The math and FFT on my DS1000Z series is pretty useless, I feel you want someone with a 2000 or 4000 series to do that.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:42:12 pm by cybermaus »

Offline xzswq21

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2017, 08:37:05 pm »
No doubt. I want to judge the quality :) if you have one please do this easy test :)
❤ ❤

Offline Yannik

• Supporter
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2017, 08:40:32 pm »
Is it possible to adjust the rise/fall time of square waves with this generator? I really need that capability.

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2017, 08:43:20 pm »
Pretty sure that is not possible.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf