Author Topic: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator  (Read 556040 times)

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
Well, being generous to Feeltech, we could assume that the online update feature is stil a "work in progress" :).

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
I cant get software 5.8 to work ,apart from the standalone version that comes with the firmware update.
its only in the latest version you get the command 3 button on and the software has no problem picking up either 6600 v 3.2 or 6800 v1.6 and it says which mhz the model you have is also. When I try to update v5.5 of the pc software it wants to go to v5.6 and tries to download something but it fails without executing the upgrade .It also appears to want to bring the firmware of the 6800 from 1.6 to  3.4 ,again it fails to update 

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
I noticed some other quirks with the software, soundtec.  When I used the update software function on either 5.8 version, it said it was going to download v5.6, but when the new file was installed it was only v5.5.  This Chinese language version, however, had the firmware update option without the Command3 button, and downloaded the 3.4 firmware file but wouldn't install it (it just gave the USB errors previously reported).

Evidently, then, only the Chinese versions have the firmware update options, and only the Chinese versions will actually do a software upgrade (even though it's often a version downgrade).  But there are also two Chinese 5.8 versions - one with the firmware update option (which may be an internal engineering version) and one without, which is on the Feeltech website for public consumption.  The Command3 button in the former is simply to give the option of upgrading via a local file rather than via the internet.

I'm confident that Feeltech will have it all working smoothly by the time the FY7400 series is released, along with software version 9.6.

EDIT: added the v5.8 from the website (without firmware update option)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:13:42 pm by DaveR »

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
Just wondering did anyone have the same issue I had with the 5.8 installer from feeltech ,where its either  flagged as a trojan or the archive isnt able to open ?

later I found that by stopping advanced language services the 5.8 exe would run on xp  ,but in any case it had a garbled charachter set .
So there is no english language version of the new software yet as far as I can see .
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:03:34 pm by soundtec »

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the archives, soundtec, nor with the CDs that some people said couldn't be read, it's just that "tight" OSs and aggressive anti-malware programs interpret them wrongly because they can't understand the Chinese characters inside them.  The trick with nested archives, where you have rar files within rar files, is to burrow inside them layer by layer amd simply remove any non-Roman characters from the filenames before you try to extract the contents of each layer.  This stops the Chinese characters from being replaced by strings of "?" and keeps the filenames "Windows legal", thereby avoiding all the error messages.

I suppose installing the Chinese language files using Windows Update would stop the problem as well (after all, the Chinese themselves obviously don't have the same trouble opening their own archives), but I've tried a couple of times to do that and Good Ol' Windoze has had other ideas about it!

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
Yeah I had tried a few things to change the filenames ,but again didnt work as expected . I think theres a problem with the file feeltech put up in the english section  .

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
No, there's nothing wrong with the file - I've downloaded it and extracted everything again to test it.  Use WinRar 5.30 or later, or 7-Zip 9.0 or later to rename and extract the files, but don't let the extractor create any folder names with non-English characters either.  Try disabling Windows Defender as well (in Windows10).   I've just done the whole thing on another PC and the downloaded v5.8 (without FW update option) "updates" the software to v5.5 (with FW update option).

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
 Yeah tried modern versions of rar and zip ,win 10 wont look at the file sideways ,I did eventually get XP to run the exe .
None of the previous .exe 's from Feeltech had any chinese charachters in the name and decompressed/ran fine .I eventually disabled the advanced language support tab in properties and bang the exe loaded up on xp ,but with a garbled charachter set . I can get v5.5 to run in English ok ,but v5.8 no.

Has anybody managed to run v5.8 in English so far ?
My view anyway is there's a few issues with English V5.8 that Feeltech need to fix ,every other software of theres ive used just seemed to work 

Overall things are going in a good direction ,it seems like online firmware updates are certainly on the way, I did send an email to Feeltech the other day with some generalised questions relating whats going on ,but no reply at all .

Offline DPA31

• Contributor
Fremen67, I tested  SW release 0.7 and I didn't find anything : it works fine. I still have to test SWEEP with VCO input.
I noticed 2 things:
1) when AM modulation is activated on Sine wave, CH1 amplitude decrease and the signal is not modulated. Then it works fine with CH2 activated.
see pic1-3 , carrier CH1 100KHz sine 2V ppk on 50 ohms, mod CH2 sine 1KHz on 50 ohms, both no offset
2) with FSK, ASK, PSK modulations, CH2 dutycycle is not taken into account
see pic4, CH1 = 100KHz 2V ppk on 50 ohms, HOP freq = 20KHz, CH2=1Hz 1.5 V ppk on 50 ohms

and a question : calibration must me performed in Hi-Z ?

Cheers
Dom.

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
Fremen67, I tested  SW release 0.7 and I didn't find anything : it works fine. I still have to test SWEEP with VCO input.
I noticed 2 things:
1) when AM modulation is activated on Sine wave, CH1 amplitude decrease and the signal is not modulated. Then it works fine with CH2 activated.
see pic1-3 , carrier CH1 100KHz sine 2V ppk on 50 ohms, mod CH2 sine 1KHz on 50 ohms, both no offset
2) with FSK, ASK, PSK modulations, CH2 dutycycle is not taken into account
see pic4, CH1 = 100KHz 2V ppk on 50 ohms, HOP freq = 20KHz, CH2=1Hz 1.5 V ppk on 50 ohms

and a question : calibration must me performed in Hi-Z ?

Cheers
Dom.
Hi Dom,
Welcome onboard and thank you for the feedback! I know that that kind of tests is really time consuming :-+
Regarding Modulation mode, except when VCO-IN is selected as source, the  blue pill only send configurations parameters to the FPGA and inits/starts/stops the process.
When VCO-IN is selected as input, blue pill also have to feed the FPGA with VCO-IN value as fast as possible.
That would be interresting when you could run the same tests directly on the FY6600 with the original firmware. That would allow to see where the problems comes from.
For Sweeping functions, most of the work is done by the FP MCU, that is by the bluepill with our firmware. Here also that would be interresting to compare with the original firmware.

Regarding calibration, the status of the fy6600 (wave, frequency, amplitude, offset, range,Hi-Z mode) has no importance as the bluepill willl select the correct configuration during the calibration process and restore the initial state afterward. The only important thing is not to have any real load on the output during calibration.

I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline DPA31

• Contributor
Hi,

I completed my tests on BluePill & PC SW release  0.7 with VCO IN. I diddn't find any problem, works well.
Attached a picture of the combination of frequency sweep and amplitude modulation by a ramp on CH2.
Many Thks fremen67.

Offline DPA31

• Contributor

[/quote]

That would be interresting when you could run the same tests directly on the FY6600 with the original firmware. That would allow to see where the problems comes from.
For Sweeping functions, most of the work is done by the FP MCU, that is by the bluepill with our firmware. Here also that would be interresting to compare with the original firmware.

[/quote]
Hi fremen67, I will do.
Cheers
Dom.

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
Hi,

I completed my tests on BluePill & PC SW release  0.7 with VCO IN. I diddn't find any problem, works well.
Attached a picture of the combination of frequency sweep and amplitude modulation by a ramp on CH2.
Many Thks fremen67.
You are welcome! :-+
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline DPA31

• Contributor
Here are complementary tests around the AM modulation with my 3.2.1 AWG version.
1) I went back to the original HW & SW : FP + Feeltech PC SW
CH1 = Sine 100 KHz 2Vpp on 50 ohms, no offset and CH2 = Sine 1000Hz 1.5Vpp Hi-Z, no offset
Vpp measured : 1.03V (normal) constant amplitude
click on AM button : nothing(100KHz carrier constant 1.03V amplitude)=> click on FM : nothing => click on FSK or PSK : ok  => click on FM : nothing => click on AM : nothing
same behavior with CH2 ON
Note: when I modify freq or amplitude parameter on the FP, nothing is reported to the PC screen, old freq or amplitude displayed
2) I use fremen67 PC SW anf FP - same channels configuration
CH1 unmodulated : 1.03V constant amplitude
click on AM button (green) 776mV constant amplitude
CH2 on : 1.03V constant amplitude on CH1
AM button : inactive
click on FM button : ok FM modulation on scope
I restart both AWG and fremen67 PC SW
same behavior but I click on AM button after FM and AM mod works !
during all the test, FSK or PSK works.
Not easy to find out one's way in this. :-/O
Did anyone report same problem with the original SW ? if not with what Feeltech version ? I use V5.5
Cheers.
Dom

Offline DPA31

• Contributor
OK, I recover on my mistake with the original Feeltech PC SW : I used to work with fremen67's one and I forgot the behavior and use of Feeltech's:

During my test, I ignored the "parameter" cell  so as I didn't define the AM modulation factor and so no way to get an AM modulation.

So now fremen67, I can say that I got the save behavior with Feeltech PC SW on AM modulation : as you guessed, it is not in the bluePill firmware :
CH1 = sine 100KHz 2Vpp on 50 ohms, no offset and CH2 = sine 1000Hz 1.5Vpp no offset
I set 50% as parameter.
I put CH1 ON and I get a 1.03V constant amplitude 100KHz sine wave on the scope.
I click on AM Mod : the amplitude decrease to a constant 528 mV pp amplitude
I put CH2 ON and the amplitude come back to a constant 1.03V pp amplitude
I click again on AM Mod button to get a 100 Khz modulated signal.

Dom.

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
OK, I recover on my mistake with the original Feeltech PC SW : I used to work with fremen67's one and I forgot the behavior and use of Feeltech's:

During my test, I ignored the "parameter" cell  so as I didn't define the AM modulation factor and so no way to get an AM modulation.

So now fremen67, I can say that I got the save behavior with Feeltech PC SW on AM modulation : as you guessed, it is not in the bluePill firmware :
CH1 = sine 100KHz 2Vpp on 50 ohms, no offset and CH2 = sine 1000Hz 1.5Vpp no offset
I set 50% as parameter.
I put CH1 ON and I get a 1.03V constant amplitude 100KHz sine wave on the scope.
I click on AM Mod : the amplitude decrease to a constant 528 mV pp amplitude
I put CH2 ON and the amplitude come back to a constant 1.03V pp amplitude
I click again on AM Mod button to get a 100 Khz modulated signal.

Dom.
Does it work correctly when using directly the FP,  without PC Software?
I had to add an ON/OFF button for each function on the PC Software because otherwise it was impossible to handle correctly the start and stop of these functions.
I just made a test on modulation function with PC Software v0.7 and the modulations seems to start each time I push the modulation ON/OFF button...

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
I got a reply from Eren at Feeltech ,

heres what he said ,

'Not all FY6600 support online updates, but FY6800 will fully support online updates. We do not recommend that users frequently update the firmware. If they are not handled properly, it is very likely that the signal generator will be damaged and cannot be used normally.'

He also sent me a corrected English version of the V5.8 installer , I suspect it will be posted on the site soon ,I'll find a way to post it here too but its over the maximum allowance for upload on EEV.

http://www.filedropper.com/fy6600pcsoftwarev58

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:54:04 am by soundtec »

The following users thanked this post: tek2232

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
Hmm, so not all, but presumably some FY6600s, will support firmware updates - v3.4 then?  But don't update the firmware anyway, because you might brick the box!

No sign of firmware updates in the English v5.8 of the PC software, and the software online update feature still isn't working for English language users.

How's the review progressing, soundtec?  Have you got a deadline to meet, or is the committment fairly open ended?

Offline DPA31

• Contributor

Does it work correctly when using directly the FP,  without PC Software?
I had to add an ON/OFF button for each function on the PC Software because otherwise it was impossible to handle correctly the start and stop of these functions.
I just made a test on modulation function with PC Software v0.7 and the modulations seems to start each time I push the modulation ON/OFF button...

Hi fremen67,
Yes it works the same way with the Front Panel:

PWR-ON : CH1=CH2=OFF
I entered the channels' parameters : CH1 = sine, 2 Vpp, no offset and CH2 = sine, 1.5 Vpp, no offset
Then I put CH1 ON and I measured 1.02 Vpp -100KHz signal on the scope
I pressed MOD : FSK mod OK, I pressed again MOD : ASK mod Ok, I pressed again MOD : PSK mod OK, I pressed again MOD : Burst mod OK
next is AM : I pressed MOD and I got a non modulated carrier 100KHz at 770 mVpp
at this step : 2 different cases :
1) I put CH2 ON  and the carrier was still unmodulated but at 1.03 Vpp,
    then I pressed MOD (which stayed on AM) and I got a modulated signal at 50% ( default value for modulation ratio parameter).
2) I pressed SOURCE and I got a 520 mVpp unmodulated carrier as was in "VCO_In mode" but w/o any signal on VCO_IN
    I pressed again SOURCE to come back with CH2 source and I got a 770 mV unmodulated carrier
    I put CH2 ON and I got a 1.03 Vpp unmodulated carrier
    I pressed MOD which stayed on AM and I got a 1.03V modulated signal
This behavior is very close to what I obtained with the PC software.
Hope it will help you.
Cheers.
Dom.

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
No presure from them at all Dave , Sure I could do somekind of review ,but end of day its almost identical to the old model ,so theres not much to add to whats being said here .

I think we kinda jumped one step ahead of ourselves with the firmware upgrade , as I said though my V3.2 looked like it wanted to download and upgrade to V3.4 ,and the 6800 V1.6 wanted to jump to 3.4 also . Im guessing at the factory they need to organise  a special update for each version of the machine and maybe also depending on what mhz of unit you have .Even though its early days being able to pull up machines V3.2 to 3.4 looks highly likely at this stage .

Yeah it appears the language was set wrong in the V5.8 on the website , it did lead to some hours researching the ways of changing the language codes in the installer ,but that didnt work in the end either ,I also tried to convert the standalone chinese v5.8 exe to english ,again it still only loaded up in chinese in the end. If anyone can figure out a way of changing the language  in the version with the firmware bootloader tab it would still be interesting to decode those usb and other windows that pop up when you try the update .What would be a lot less trouble was if we had a chinese Fy6600 owner translate for us directly the pop up windows .

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
Today I found the guts to try the upgrade on my V3.3 but it won't go past about 10% of what I presume is the download part.  >:(
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor
Would be interesting to see if older firmware versions are recognised by the software update tab on the standalone chinese V5.8 software.
Fingers crossed the firmware updates will be effective for the V3 people who were affected by the memory corruption issue .
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:16:21 pm by soundtec »

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
What would be a lot less trouble was if we had a chinese Fy6600 owner translate for us directly the pop up windows .

We'd probably learn that the string of "?" in the pop ups translates as "Error."   ;D

Offline soundtec

• Regular Contributor

Ok I managed to get the chinese version with the firmware upgrade to display properly , I captured both the messages that result from trying to update firmware ,picture quality is shocking ,but its hopefully good enough for your friend to read it Miti.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:14:06 pm by soundtec »

Offline DaveR

• Regular Contributor
Well done, soundtec! There's nothing wrong with the picture quality at all - they're both very clear.  Out of curiosity, what settings did you need change / hoops did you have to jump through, besides installing the Chinese language packs, to get that result?  Windows7 is supposed to have Chinese support by default, but it doesn't work on my computers, and it's supposed to be a real pain to get it working in Windows10, from what I've read.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf