Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1091608 times)

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
New firmware version available ("DS2000A firmware update_00.03.05.04.00") on Rigol Chinese site:

http://www.rigol.com/Support/SoftDownload/3

Installed fine on my non-A DS2000 without any obvious negative effects. 
Could be my imagination, but it seems to improve waveform display quality (sharper, less fuzz in traces).  Also removed slight zero offset in my channel one trace.

Release note included with download is encrypted but was successfully decrypted by EEVblog forum member ev84 (see attached).

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Could be my imagination, but it seems to improve waveform display quality (sharper, less fuzz in traces).

I would be curious if you noticed that before or after you read the release notes.

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
I believe I noticed it before reading the release notes but I'm still not sure whether it's actually different than before.

It may be that they modified the trace persistence control.  It seemed like minimum persistence used to include more than one scan, but now it has a more dynamic look, with a slight flicker in the trace when memory depth is high.

Have you done the firmware upgrade?  If so, do you see a difference?

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
I haven't yet. I downloaded the new firmware the other day, but haven't had time to mess with it (and probably won't for the foreseeable future).

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
I’m always worried that a firmware update might break all the hacks and make it difficult or near impossible to redo them.

The following users thanked this post: MiataMuc

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Re: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol
« Reply #2805 on: August 07, 2018, 02:07:33 pm »
I used a DS2202A at work and my thoughts were like why do the readouts have so small fonts??
It was SW 00.02.00 and HW 2.0. I think that the font size cannot be adjusted.
You might see some screenshots here. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-scopes-serial-decoding/msg1000285/#msg1000285
OK it is from DS4000, but it looks the same.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:09:16 pm by Hydrawerk »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline bistopepmol

« Reply #2806 on: August 29, 2018, 07:12:53 am »
 :scared:

Just did the firmware update and Bingo!!  all works fine as it should and nothing broken or lost,

was a DS2072A upgraded to DS2302A and all unlocks are the same.

Brilliant   :-+
What ever you do, don't let the magic smoke out !!

Offline pantelei4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2807 on: August 29, 2018, 05:43:06 pm »
Just did the firmware update and Bingo!! 
What version of firmware?

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2808 on: November 09, 2018, 07:55:15 am »
When I installed the latest firmware (00.03.05.04.00), I noticed that the "Analyse mode" (analyse captured waveforms) began to work very slowly! New firmware issue? Or did they change something there? There is no info about this in release note.

Offline HarlanLSU1

« Reply #2809 on: December 08, 2018, 12:31:39 am »
Okay the DS2000A UPGRADE UTILITY didn't working for me and tried replacing the rigup.exe with the latest rigup-0.4.2-x86_64-win and renamed it the same.  Also Send & Read does not generate the scrambled key on my DS2072A.  I have upgraded to firmware 3.05 SP4. Please save me the time of searching 113 pages and tell me what the latest procedure is that works.

EDIT: Found a website stating my exact problem (see last section) with a solution, but not appearing to be a good one just reading through it.
https://www.bambach.biz/projects/elektro/upgrade-rigol-ds2072a-to-ds2302a/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:57:01 am by HarlanLSU1 »

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2811 on: January 30, 2019, 10:48:51 pm »
I’d like to know what issues are addressed before I use it.

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2813 on: February 01, 2019, 06:05:06 pm »
new firmware on http://www.rigol.com/Support/SoftDownload/3

There's no change log, I'll wait for the official change log. Anyone tried it?

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2814 on: February 01, 2019, 07:07:08 pm »
I installed it on my "pimped" MSO 2072-S and it works okay but since this 'scope isn't my everyday's instrument, and I didn't spend much time testing, I didn't notice a difference. The "usual flaws" that bugger me most (compared to the much improved DS1000Z firmware, namely "granular" derivative and the piss-poor FFT) haven't been touched...

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2815 on: February 01, 2019, 08:27:25 pm »
I just installed it on my DS2072.

The extended System Info shows update to Software Version 00.03.06.00.00 with date of Jan 17 2019 but hardware and FPGA version numbers did not change from last firmware version 00.03.05.04.00 (dated Mar 7 2018).

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2816 on: March 24, 2019, 07:16:49 am »
Hello,

I don't know if somebody measure the rise and fall time of the trigger output of the DS2072.

Now I do a measure with the 1 GHz Agilent DSO6104L.

The rise time is about 600ps and the fall time is about 500ps.

I forgot:
The rise time of the DSO6104L itself is 350ps, so the true rise time of the trigger output is lower.
So the rise time is about 490ps and the fall time is about 360ps

Best regards
egonotto

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 05:43:19 pm by egonotto »

The following users thanked this post: PeDre, thm_w, Daruosha

Offline artur0089

• Contributor
The extended System Info shows update to Software Version 00.03.06.00.00 with date of Jan 17 2019 but hardware and FPGA version numbers did not change from last firmware version 00.03.05.04.00 (dated Mar 7 2018).

Offline erkko

• Contributor
- When i turn it on most of the times show full screen noise and hangs, sometimes just hungs.

Not sure if its the same reason, but I had a period of same symptoms.

Additionally (after switching channels off and on again to get rid of noise) it often failed to see any signal in 1kHz testpoint. Even auto button failed in such situation. Crashed 90% of times when auto button was pressed. Ch2 off cleared ch1 trace also. Which returned many seconds later with noise again. Rarely also with clear trace...

Updates didnt change a thing. Clearing fram neither.

Until I noticed that it also forgot my measurements and switched on both channels on every reboot, although I clearly switched off ch2 every time...

That last one finally made me read some manual and what do you know - its a setting: Utility > System > Power on

I had set it at some point to "default". Perceiving it for some reason (without reading manual, just wandering around at menus) as that computer bios feature that restores power to the "last" state in case of power loss. So in that context, "last" sounded wrong.

Anyhow, now at "last", havent seen abnormal weird noise-like stuff on screen upon startup nor hangs for some time. Before it was always at most couple of restarts away.

PS. spoke too soon. Distorted noise-like stuff is back, hangs too. Seems to just occur less often, but it isnt gone.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:21:03 pm by erkko »

Offline robca

• Frequent Contributor
I might be able to buy a used DS2072A. Currently asking $600 for it, but has not been sold for a long time, so might be open to a lower offer.

Considering the age, what would be a fair price for a DS2072A these days? I doubt I'll ever need more than 100MHz, so a DS1054Z (hacked to 100MHz) would work equally well and have 4 channels. But, then again, I rarely need more than 2 channels, and in cases where a lot of digital signals are needed, a logic probe works usually as well. So my main alternative would be a DS1054Z or an even cheaper used 2 channels Rigol

I see that once hacked, the DS2072A maintains the features. Is there a version of the firmware that does not allow hacking anymore? I'm sure it's in the thread, but I haven't had time to read thru the 113 pages yet, sorry

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
I might be able to buy a used DS2072A. Currently asking $600 for it, but has not been sold for a long time, so might be open to a lower offer.

Considering the age, what would be a fair price for a DS2072A these days? I doubt I'll ever need more than 100MHz, so a DS1054Z (hacked to 100MHz) would work equally well and have 4 channels. But, then again, I rarely need more than 2 channels, and in cases where a lot of digital signals are needed, a logic probe works usually as well. So my main alternative would be a DS1054Z or an even cheaper used 2 channels Rigol

I see that once hacked, the DS2072A maintains the features. Is there a version of the firmware that does not allow hacking anymore? I'm sure it's in the thread, but I haven't had time to read thru the 113 pages yet, sorry

I've had a few of the models in this range (1054Z, 1074Z, DS2072A, and MSO2072A).

Given what you describe as your options (used and new) and your requirements/interests I'd say go for a new 1054Z (get a slight discount from tequipment.net and a warranty).  It can't hurt to have the extra two channels (you might come up with some reasons to use more than 2).  When I bought the 2000 series (and I'm still happy with the one I have) I was slightly smitten by the big Nav knob but I haven't used it nearly as much as I expected.  It's still a great scope but it's hard to beat a new 1054Z in terms of price/features & performance.  If you really want to spend more the next step up is probably a Siglent 1104X-E.  Just depends on your budget and preferences.  You could start with the 1054Z and sell it in 2-3 years for maybe half or more of what you paid for it and then look at what's the latest and greatest at that time, or your first scope might be all you need if you don't get TEA.

The following users thanked this post: robca

Offline robca

• Frequent Contributor
I've had a few of the models in this range (1054Z, 1074Z, DS2072A, and MSO2072A).

Given what you describe as your options (used and new) and your requirements/interests I'd say go for a new 1054Z (get a slight discount from tequipment.net and a warranty).  It can't hurt to have the extra two channels (you might come up with some reasons to use more than 2).  When I bought the 2000 series (and I'm still happy with the one I have) I was slightly smitten by the big Nav knob but I haven't used it nearly as much as I expected.  It's still a great scope but it's hard to beat a new 1054Z in terms of price/features & performance.  If you really want to spend more the next step up is probably a Siglent 1104X-E.  Just depends on your budget and preferences.  You could start with the 1054Z and sell it in 2-3 years for maybe half or more of what you paid for it and then look at what's the latest and greatest at that time, or your first scope might be all you need if you don't get TEA.
Thanks!

I currently have a decent dual trace analog 100MHz scope, which works well for pretty much everything I need, but it's huge and takes up way too much space. That and a logic probe, and I can do pretty much everything.

The main reason to get a DSO is the small footprint. And less so some of the memory features. But it's hard to justify ~$350 for just a smaller footprint (and, yes, i was aware of the eevblog discount, but thanks for mentioning it)

That DS2072A used was tempting because I might be able to get it relatively cheap for the type of instrument and with the 300MHz bandwidth would at least offer a real upgrade over my analog one, in case I need more bandwidth in the future. What price would you consider a DS2072A to be a "too good to turn down"? Would paying close to a DS1054Z be a good price?

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
It's a thinker.  If I needed to replace my existing MSO2072A and I had to choose between a used 300 MHz DSO272A and a 1054Z for the same price, I guess I'd go with the 300 MHz DSO2072A.  Really depends on how much I thought I was going to use/need want the extra bandwidth.  It's kinda on the edge because as much as the bandwidth is attractive so are the four channels - especially for digital (SPI in particular) - although a lot of folks are very happy with a $10-15 eBay logic analyzer that runs Sikgrok PulseView. The LA won't let you see the analog and digital signals at the same tjme on the same screen, but that might not be important (depends on what you will be doing), and you can add the LA no matter what scope you go with.

If I couldn't see some fairly specific use for the extra bandwidth then somewhere around a $50-$100 lower price plus new, plus a warranty I'd probably go for the 1054Z.  Might depend on how pristine the 2072A is, does it come with the probes, or are their some issues known or TBD on the used scope. 

I like Rigol a lot but given what I hear you saying and asking about, I think you might be a candidate for a Siglent 1104X-E with a discount from Saelig.  I'm pretty sure if I was buying now in this general range I'd go for the 1104X-E but it really comes down to how bad you want the bandwidth and in what package you want to get the bandwidth.  Either way, you are going to enjoy a smaller footprint and the ability to digitally capture and manage signals.  (It's great that you have the analog scope - you will never wonder again what you might be missing with ether analog or digital.  Plus, it's nice having two of anything as a backup and to check the sanity of your measurements once in awhile when you have a head scratcher.)

If you think this might be your last scope, then maybe the maximum bandwidth you can get is the driver.  If you want to experience digital and see what you learn and need for your next scope, I'd go for the 1054Z or 1104X-E.  It's possible that with any of the scopes you are considering plus your analog scope you will be all set.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
Plus 1 for the DS1054Z route; you can use Riglol to make it into a DS1104Z (it says so on the System Info) and real world -3dB bandwidth is in the 130 - 150 MHz area after applying the upgrade.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline dan_bates

Hi, I've been enjoying reading the threads here.

what would it mean if my DS2072 refuses to upgrade firmware?
it's at 00.01.00.00.03
hardware 1.0.1

In diagnostic mode i wait a moment with SINGLE illuminated, stick in the stick, and all the lights come up, no blinky CH1.
tried all these different .GEL files.

I'm following the usual guide as far as I know.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/first-impressions-and-review-of-the-rigol-ds2072-ds2000-series-dso/msg158684/#msg158684

connected it to ultrasigma last week. not cynical to think that'd be the cause is it?!

Edit: I found this regarding formatting the USB stick correctly:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1074z-not-recognising-usb-flash-drives/
I used Rufus.

UPDATED.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:13:46 am by dan_bates »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf