Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1089641 times)

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2012, 01:39:55 pm »
The 1Mhz square wave, is that from the test signal of the scope itself or an external signal from an AWG?

External signal.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2012, 01:53:38 pm »
BTW, I think I know what I did which triggered the trial options to return. But unless I can reproduce the effect a second time consecutively, I'll never know. But I won't try anything until the options are expired again, since according to EV, they expired again the next day - and I want to see if they continue counting down to zero on my scope. Watch here for updates  ;)

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2012, 02:14:31 pm »
But I won't try anything until the options are expired again, ;)

Your situation is not exactly the same as I had. When my trial options had expired after calibration, I installed the official trigger option. After it also the other two options came back, but all options vanished on the next day. So I had to reinstall this official trigger option! I hope that your trial options don't vanish before this promised trial time.

Offline tlu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2012, 03:03:56 pm »
Marmad or EV, have you guys tried the i2c serial decode features? How good is that software on this dso for that?

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2012, 07:32:13 pm »
How did you measure this, or was is displayed on the screen?
Single channel - 1MHz square wave to Channel 1 - Trigger Out to frequency counter. And I'll add this to the above post.
If you have time could you add the sample rate in your excel file.
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2012, 11:03:16 pm »
Thanks for your awesome video review marmad!  You have provided a very nice introduction to several features and analysis capabilities of this scope.  It's surprising there is not really that much out there on the Rigol DS2000 series.  It is very exciting to read more about this series of scopes, and certainly I look forward to using one myself.

This thread is excellent --- thanks also to everyone posting with their feedback, which provides much insight to the state of firmware/bugs.  After reading many peoples positive experience, I feel a lot more assured of the quality/capability of this scope than I initially did after watching Dave's "Playing around..." video...seems the firmware Dave upgraded to should be kept away from!

If I'm not mistaken, Rigol hasn't publicly distributed any official firmware upgrades for the DS2000 series yet.  I hope firmware updates from Rigol become transparent --- e.g. listed on a website for easy download, with clear indication of bugs fixed, features added, etc.

Cheers folks!

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2012, 12:48:55 am »
Here is a test of the first in a group of utilities I'm writing for the Rigol DS2000: software which grabs the recorded frames to the PC for compilation into videos. This is a small first test - only 126 frames - but I'll try to upload a larger one tomorrow.

I put it up on Youtube - but the beautiful resolution got ruined by their compression. Better to look at it here: http://www.daysalive.com/share/DS2000_movie_test.mov
Give it a few seconds to load before it starts playing.

Now not only can you make images from your DSO screen - you can make DSO home movies  ;)

Edit: And I'll start posting the software as soon as it gets a bit closer to release-ready.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:10:12 am by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2012, 01:08:43 am »
Thanks for your awesome video review marmad!  You have provided a very nice introduction to several features and analysis capabilities of this scope.  It's surprising there is not really that much out there on the Rigol DS2000 series.
You're welcome, Sparky - and I hope to add more to the knowledge base as I learn more about the scope. But I think it's only been available since June - so it's not too surprising there isn't much yet.

If I'm not mistaken, Rigol hasn't publicly distributed any official firmware upgrades for the DS2000 series yet.  I hope firmware updates from Rigol become transparent --- e.g. listed on a website for easy download, with clear indication of bugs fixed, features added, etc.
As far as I know, there are no updates yet, but the current firmware is very stable (Dave unfortunately got a slightly buggy not-for-general-release version) - with only the 2 bugs mentioned before that I know about. But, as much as I love this scope - and admire Rigol's ingenuity and professional products - the downside of owning a Chinese scope is slow (and sometimes bad) communication and secrecy. Some Chinese companies are better than others - but they all seem to suffer from it to some degree.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2012, 01:36:55 am »
Where can I get a new firmware, which is tested works ok? I don't want this which Dave installed.

I've been informed that new official firmware will be available on the 15th Nov.
I'm currently running a new engineering version that fixes the issues with the zoom etc.

Dave.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2012, 08:56:27 am »
Here is a test of the first in a group of utilities I'm writing for the Rigol DS2000: software which grabs the recorded frames to the PC for compilation into videos. This is a small first test - only 126 frames - but I'll try to upload a larger one tomorrow.

<snip>

Edit: And I'll start posting the software as soon as it gets a bit closer to release-ready.

This is fantastic, marmad!  :)  I noted on Rigon NA website that the DS1000E series has quite a bit of documentation/software related to programming, and so I was bummed to see so little on DS2000 pages.  You touched on the PC control in your video and earlier in this thread, and I'm super happy to see that PC control and data transfer still exists. 

I've previously written a Visual Basic program using LabVIEW controls and GPIB interface to talk with a spectrometer so that control could be done from a PC, and display results and computations on PC also.  I'd be very excited to work on something for this scope --- it should be possible to build PC software with additional signal analysis (especially FFT and choice of windows etc).

@marmad: What programming language and dev. environment are you using for your software development? What is the communications protocol to talk with the DS2000?  Very exciting!

Cheers!

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2012, 09:47:14 am »

This is fine, thank you!

Marmad or EV, have you guys tried the i2c serial decode features? How good is that software on this dso for that?

I have used only RS-232 decoder and it works well.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:23:44 pm by EV »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2012, 09:54:00 am »

I have used only Rs-232 encoder and it works well.
I used the I2C decode in the video review - it worked just as expected.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:17:20 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2012, 03:07:17 pm »
What programming language and dev. environment are you using for your software development? What is the communications protocol to talk with the DS2000?  Very exciting!
I'm using Visual Studio and the National Instruments VISA DLLs - talking to the device with SCPI.

Ok, it was rather late last night when I posted the first DS2000 screen-video - getting frustrated because of YouTube's compression - and I forgot to create a little FlashPlayer on the page I linked to. Now I have and it's much better. So here is the second test of creating an H264 encoded video from the recorded frames (i.e. segments of memory) on the Rigol DS2072:

Logarithmic sweep: 10Hz - 40kHz with sync pulse, while displaying one reference square wave of 1kHz and one of 10kHz.
1700 frames @ 34". I'm playing back at 50 fps, so you'll notice the clock counting seconds faster than normal. Also my software hit a bug near the end, so the last ~100 frames were captured later on (you can see the clock jump)  ;)

It's a 15MB movie, so it can take a few moments (depending on your connection speed) to start playing:

http://turbidmedia.com/ds2000.html

Also, as of today, my reanimated trial options are still working fine - third day running  :)

Edit: I tried to attach a smaller version for download here, but it appears the blog doesn't allow video file types :( Perhaps, it's time to change that? Anyway, here is a download link for a smaller version: 250 frames @30fps real-time: http://turbidmedia.com/ds2072.mov
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:31:06 pm by marmad »

Offline tlu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2012, 04:03:56 pm »
Hi Marmad,

Great video. I appreciate you taking your time to do these kind of video. I very exciting and glad to hear your trial options are still up and running. I hope it stays that way. Do it still counts down or is it a bogus number for the remaining time of the options?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2012, 04:13:28 pm »
Do it still counts down or is it a bogus number for the remaining time of the options?
Yes, counting down.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2012, 05:13:09 pm »
Another fantastic thing I noticed today (and I'll include this in another video): as long as recorded frames are in memory, you can do any processing to them that you can do to real-time waveforms - for example, taking any kind of measurement or running one of the bus decode options works perfectly fine on recorded frames while they're playing back.

This is a powerful feature which can allow you to do post-processing inside the DSO on 'real-time' signals at a later date. It's just kind of strange that Rigol didn't allow the option of saving and recalling the recorded frames to a USB stick. Of course, it's no problem to get the frames out of the scope using SCPI, but I haven't been able to locate any method for loading them BACK in - which, IMO, is a huge wasted opportunity on Rigol's part. It means that once they're replaced in the memory by something else, there is no way to get them back  :(

Imagine you recorded some minutes of a waveform last week, but you thought of something new you wanted to check. If you could somehow recall the frames into the scope, you could run some analysis/processing on them again. Of course, this can be done outside the scope with software - but often it would be handier (and quicker) to just reload them into the DSO.

Edit: Attached is an image made playing back recorded frames while doing measurements and SPI bus decoding after the fact - and then going into Delayed Sweep (zoom) at the same time  :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:32:11 pm by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2012, 05:20:46 pm »
It's a 15MB movie, so it can take a few moments (depending on your connection speed) to start playing:

http://turbidmedia.com/ds2000.html

Fine video, thank you.

Offline tlu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2012, 05:31:47 pm »
Great fine of the post processing analysis with recorded frames Marmad! That is kind of cheesy of Rigol not implementing the loading of recorded data back into the dso. Maybe this is something that could be implemented in future versions of the firmware?

Love your videos, please keep it coming.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2012, 07:37:03 pm »
Great review, justing adding my kudos.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »
Great review, justing adding my kudos.
Thanks, saturation. I appreciate it.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2012, 09:04:33 am »
What programming language and dev. environment are you using for your software development? What is the communications protocol to talk with the DS2000?  Very exciting!
I'm using Visual Studio and the National Instruments VISA DLLs - talking to the device with SCPI.

Thanks marmad!  I'm happy to hear about use of Visual Studio --- I have used it as the dev. environment for my Visual Basic apps. 

Also, excellent videos and pictures you are posting --- thanks very much for posting them, and your discoveries, and bringing attention to improvements (to John S in the EEV#369 thread).  It's very exciting to see the developments! :)

The user user feedback, expansion of possibilities with PC apps, and positive news of firmware update about Nov 15 (fixing XY bug additional bugs Dave experienced) make me feel very positive about this scope.  As a result, I placed order for one of these today!

Best!

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2012, 01:27:15 am »
I thought it might be handy to compile a list of other EEVblog threads about the Rigol DS2000 series.  They contain great information too!

EEVblog #360 - Rigol DS2000 Oscilloscope Teardown (by Dave): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog-specific/eevblog-360-rigol-ds2000-oscilloscope-teardown/

EEVblog #369 - Rigol DS2000 Oscilloscope Playing Around (by Dave): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog-specific/eevblog-369-rigol-ds2000-oscilloscope-playing-around/

Rigol DS 2072 noise problem (by playfsx): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/rigol-ds-2072-noise-problem/

Rigol DS2072 Review (by JimmySte): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/rigol-ds2072-review/

Edit: Since this is the latest "review and first impressions" thread on the Rigol DS2000 series, it is probably best to post similar info here. So we can read everyone's happy news at once :)

Happy reading!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:41:37 pm by Sparky »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2012, 02:19:20 am »
Since this thread is the latest and currently most active on the DS2000 series, it might make sense to keep general discussion here (least we end up with 20 threads!)

Well, just as you posted this, I posted something in the other thread which actually belongs here with my review - so I'll repost a snippet from it, which is my current features wish-list for the DS2000 series:

1) Save/Recall of specifc channels of recorded frames at specific frame points.
2) Markers while in Delayed Sweep Mode (searching would be better - but I think unlikely)
3) SCPI :SYST:KEY command to poll the 4 menu pg up/pg dwn buttons (unused on the front panel when the menus are retracted - the scope lacks the ability to initiate contact with control software and this would be an easy way to do it - and they would also then function as programmable soft-keys).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:29:18 am by marmad »

Offline zibadun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2012, 02:45:44 am »
Hi guys
just ordered 2072 largely based on the reviews here.   The 200 MHz sleeping beast inside looks promising.

I went with tequipment - they were on a generator yesterday and today finally got the commercial power restored... with another noreaster brewing off the coast.  Not sure when I will actually get mine.  But I figured they really need orders; probably lost so much because of Sandy.  Make sure you request a quote from them before ordering via the web site.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2012, 02:54:10 am »
just ordered 2072 largely based on the reviews here.   The 200 MHz sleeping beast inside looks promising.

Welcome - I think you'll really like your purchase. Feel free to post your reactions and thoughts once you've tried it out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf