Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1092659 times)

Offline kape

Re: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol
« Reply #525 on: January 24, 2013, 05:40:50 pm »
Does anybody want to tear apart the scope ?)
I noticed from Dave's teardown video, that the chip next to the BlackFin CPU is actually I2C FRAM (ferroelectric RAM).
Presumably some interesting data is inside :)

Maybe the DS2000 is intelligent enough to read its own I2C bus... :)
And maybe this kind of conversation should be moved somewhere else...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:40:30 am by kape »

Offline sanka

• Contributor
« Reply #526 on: January 24, 2013, 06:26:18 pm »
I couldn't get it to do the initial Probe Compensation Function Inspection, per Page 7 of the manual. I keep getting "Auto Failed" error messages.
For future reference , the "Auto Failed" message usually means No signal attached or it is too small for the DSO to detect and Auto Lock.
Will we ever know the cause of Failure?    Loose heat sink Clips??

Hi Teneyes,
As they are replacing the unit rather than repairing it, I doubt that I'll get any report of what they fixed. In fact, just before packing it up to return, I wanted to test some more. So I did a dozen or so power off/on followed by that probe compensation auto lock test. The lock worked after 4-5 power ons. But "Auto Failed" after the rest of the power ons.

In addition, possibly unrelated to the auto lock issue, the screen would freak out every once in a while showing either full screen blue background or yellow background (the same color as the traces) with heavy noise at the top and bottom. It would happen randomly and go away after about 10-20 seconds or after a power cycle.

Offline flano

• Contributor
« Reply #527 on: January 25, 2013, 11:12:04 am »

Has anyone done much with the I2C trigger. I can get it to trigger on a Start condition however I don't seem to be able to get it to trigger on a Missing Ack or Address.
Thanks Mike
welcome to the forum;
Assuming you have looked at signal to be right levels and generally OK
SDA , SCL assigned correctly
Do you  know that there Is a missing Ack(s)?

I assume you know the Address, and maybe you can Scan slowly thru all addresses 1-127

Can you Att a screen shot with Menu open ,  like shown below
I find using Marmad's RUU 1.5.1 very easy  & fast

See: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/software-tips-and-tricks-for-rigol-ds200040006000-ultravision-dsos/msg171575/#msg171575

I'll call this one user error. After some messing around and simplification of my code I got it to successfully trigger.

Here are some screen captures for future reference.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Mike

Offline pena

« Reply #528 on: January 25, 2013, 12:07:50 pm »
Hi forum,

Here's another DS2072 owner de-lurking. I got mine a couple of days ago. Ended up to DS2072 mostly because of the information here. Thank you all! I ordered the scope (and another to my workmate) from silcon.cz. What a pleasure to buy from someone who knows his products. All my questions were answered quickly and friendly. No problems with the delivery, either.

My initial impression of the device has been good. Very nice upgrade from DS1052E. First things to notice are the large screen and the temperature controlled fan. You can hear the fan when the unit warms up but it doesn't disturb that much. And having separate knobs for both channels in the vertical system is a relief. At least after I learn to find the horizontal knobs from a new place. Already too many times I've been puzzled for a moment when trying to use CH2 scale for adjusting time/div... Oh, well :).

One of the features my old scope didn't have is the trigger output. I'm interested in using a scope in combination with a PC based logic analyzer. Getting them both triggered synchronously from an analog signal is going to be great. To play a little I made a quick setup where the scope was triggered to a 10Hz square wave from a signal generator on CH1. Then I connected the trigger output to CH2. The output delay seems to be about 220 ns with some jitter in it. Changing to 5ns/div and infinite persistence showed that the jitter is bounded within an about 8 ns window. Something in the scope clocked at 125MHz? Anyway, the frequencies of the signals I mostly work with are way lower. And the inexpensive USB based logic analyzer I use doesn't sample that fast anyway.

By the way, I had to use a second scope to get the width of the trigger output pulse measured. It seems to correlate with the time/div setting and the memory depth in use. When I first increased the waveform length of the DS2072 trying to get the falling edge on the screen, it got again pushed out of reach :). They mention in the user's manual that the trigger out can be used to find out the capture rate. Could it be so that the signal could also be used to determine if the scope is busy? That might be useful in some mixed signal debugging cases. A microcontroller could start something only when the scope is ready to capture. I wonder if the dead time is included in that... Maybe I'll continue comparing the trigger pulse length to the length of the captured waveform. And could try to increase the frequency of the input signal so that its period gets closer to the pulse width of the trigger output.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:04:58 pm by pena »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #529 on: January 25, 2013, 03:44:09 pm »
By the way, I had to use a second scope to get the width of the trigger output pulse measured. It seems to correlate with the time/div setting and the memory depth in use.
Wellcome to the forum!

DS2202, FW 1.00.05

The signal from trigger out is very fast rising and falling. I measured it with my TDS3032 (BW 300 MHz) scope and got rise and fall time both to be 1.05 ns. It can be faster but my scope can not measure it. Rise time 1.05 ns gives bandwidth 350 / 1.05 = 333 MHz (> 300 MHz).

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #530 on: January 25, 2013, 05:22:28 pm »
DS2202, FW 1.00.05

The signal from trigger out is very fast rising and falling. I measured it with my TDS3032 (BW 300 MHz) scope and got rise and fall time both to be 1.05 ns. It can be faster but my scope can not measure it. Rise time 1.05 ns gives bandwidth 350 / 1.05 = 333 MHz (> 300 MHz).

Here is picture of Rigols trigger out signals rise time. It is measured with Fet probe. When using direct BNC cable, rise time is measured to 1.09 ns.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #531 on: January 25, 2013, 06:11:13 pm »
Here is rise time (1.60 ns) measured with my DS2202 from trigger out signal. CH1 is connected to 1 MHz signal and CH2 is connected to trigger out signal with BNC cable with feed thru 50 ohm terminator.

BW = 350 / 1.60 = 219 MHz to my scope.

Offline zlabsoft

• Contributor
« Reply #532 on: January 25, 2013, 06:22:53 pm »
By the way, I had to use a second scope to get the width of the trigger output pulse measured. It seems to correlate with the time/div setting and the memory depth in use.
Wellcome to the forum!

DS2202, FW 1.00.05

Sorry, stupid me, where is the 350 come from?

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado

Offline pena

« Reply #534 on: January 26, 2013, 09:45:48 am »
DS2202, FW 1.00.05

Here is picture of Rigols trigger out signals rise time. It is measured with Fet probe. When using direct BNC cable, rise time is measured to 1.09 ns.

Thank you, EV!

Interesting figures and and nice screenshots. That really is a pretty fast rising signal that might be useful some day.

Also a nice example of how the equipment used for measuring affects the results. It would be nice to know what even faster scope would give for the rise time.

Offline wb3fsr

• Contributor
Delivery time frame for Rigol DS2072 in US
« Reply #535 on: January 27, 2013, 02:40:40 am »
Hi Folks,

Seems a number of you have recently purchased the DS2072....

I plan to order a DS2072on Monday and curious what others have recently experienced in delivery time from order placement with Rigol N/A ?

:-+ Excellent forum

PeterV [REN]
Jersey Shore

Offline wb3fsr

• Contributor
Rigol DS2072 Screen in sun light
« Reply #536 on: January 27, 2013, 03:00:23 am »
Here at the Jersey Shore when we are not wind swept with a Hurricane like Sandy, I like to roll a portion of my lab out onto the back patio and enjoy the great wx while prototyping and designing RF and control projects.

Any of you have experience with the DS2072 screen in sun light? Will the unit need a hood?

Also any hams that might comment on how well the instrument handles itself in high RF environments.  HT, 2 to 5 watts VHF/UHF 440 operation close by and HF kilowatt operation in shack... Excellent grounding of all equipment close by and used...

Tek & HP equipment here have no issues - I don't have any hands on experience with Rigol products.

TIA 73

PeterV

PeterV [REN]
Jersey Shore

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #537 on: January 27, 2013, 11:50:04 am »
Hello,

I saved some setup files before my trail options were expired.
For those whos trail options are also expired, here some of these files.
Where trail options are used.

There several setup files with different options used, just to play with
see if this is working for others users too, give us some feedback.
No garantee it will work but just analysing...

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol DS2072 Screen in sun light
« Reply #538 on: January 27, 2013, 02:16:26 pm »
Here at the Jersey Shore when we are not wind swept with a Hurricane like Sandy, I like to roll a portion of my lab out onto the back patio and enjoy the great wx while prototyping and designing RF and control projects.

Any of you have experience with the DS2072 screen in sun light? Will the unit need a hood?

Also any hams that might comment on how well the instrument handles itself in high RF environments.  HT, 2 to 5 watts VHF/UHF 440 operation close by and HF kilowatt operation in shack... Excellent grounding of all equipment close by and used...

Tek & HP equipment here have no issues - I don't have any hands on experience with Rigol products.

TIA 73

PeterV

Not with direct sunlight, but i find very good with indirect sunlight.

With HF en VHF, the Rigol is complete shielded, so i my case i dont see any problems, i have some
hf on the cables so it is difficult to tell, with no cables is looks good. My earth connection is
to long. On VHF i have never seen any noise.

I had more trouble with these modern lamps with converters in it, when they are near
your test object. Sometimes i have to turn of the lights. But that has nothing to do with the Rigol.

Offline wb3fsr

• Contributor
RF enviro
« Reply #539 on: January 27, 2013, 03:49:26 pm »
Wim,

That's good news on the sun light issue - yes indirect works for me... Wife had me get a white canopy for the outdoor patio and now she has second thoughts when she see's all the wires and equipment out there LOLs  :scared:

My radio tower ground is within ten feet so I should be good then,

PeterV
PeterV [REN]
Jersey Shore

Offline zlabsoft

• Contributor
« Reply #540 on: January 27, 2013, 04:00:17 pm »
I have a problem that when I use DS2102 to test a audio BTL driver, Math function A+B is use for checking any differential signal during rise/fall time, the signal on screen show a lot of noise and apparently should not be that great and have been verify by using TEKWAY DSO, anyone can give me a hand?  May be I was operate the scope wrongly.

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #541 on: January 27, 2013, 04:45:41 pm »
I have a problem that when I use DS2102 to test a audio BTL driver, Math function A+B is use for checking any differential signal during rise/fall time, the signal on screen show a lot of noise and apparently should not be that great and have been verify by using TEKWAY DSO, anyone can give me a hand?  May be I was operate the scope wrongly.

I have attach two pictures giving the same picture, first one with two probes, and
the second 1 probe connect to A and B.

Theory: 1 volt/div is 8 volts full scale, divided by 256 ( 8 bit resolution) is 31 mV per level,
the sampler goes up and down 1 level, so the noise is about 3 levels and that for each
channel and then added , gives a uncertainy of 6*31 is 187 mV, and thats is what i think you are seeing.

If you put avaraging on it gets beter...

Offline zlabsoft

• Contributor
« Reply #542 on: January 27, 2013, 04:56:40 pm »
I got it, it's cause by the ADC resolution and I better end up using external circuit to do similar job.  My gone TELWAY 100MHz DSO which cost only 1/3 th the price can do the job beautifully.

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #543 on: January 27, 2013, 05:08:15 pm »
I got it, it's cause by the ADC resolution and I better end up using external circuit to do similar job.  My gone TELWAY 100MHz DSO which cost only 1/3 th the price can do the job beautifully.

Here same setup, in high resolution....oversampling, more resolution.

Thats why i keep also an analog scoop on the shelf, but will
be difficult in the future, they are not made anymore...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:12:43 pm by Wim13 »

Offline zlabsoft

• Contributor
« Reply #544 on: January 27, 2013, 05:12:54 pm »
Ha Ha, it seen technology is gone backward.

Offline zibadun

• Regular Contributor
REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol
« Reply #545 on: January 27, 2013, 06:57:20 pm »
Ha Ha, it seen technology is gone backward.

It's called "progress" ;). Probably can be fixed by using a higher bit depth adc. Give it a couple of years :)

Offline TP

• Contributor
Re: Delivery time frame for Rigol DS2072 in US
« Reply #546 on: January 27, 2013, 07:47:45 pm »
I have not purchased from RigolNA direct,  but good support from RigolNA when I lost my Trial options. I purchased from Tequipement as same price for DS but free Shipping.
Even with Back order I received in 11 days.  UPS took 6 Days. I also like Tequipement and bought another order and got 5% discount (web coupon)  under Rigol's price.

I bought my DS2072 from Tequipment in New Jersey as well.  When I was looking on their web page for other scopes it popped up a 5% discount offer.  While the popup didn't show when looking at Rigol scopes, I tried the code anyway and it worked.  The also gave free shipping.  There was a bit of a delay in shipping, but it was right after hurricane Sandy so it was understandable.

Offline zlabsoft

• Contributor
« Reply #547 on: January 27, 2013, 10:50:05 pm »
Yes, but what I'm look for is A+B.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:51:57 pm by zlabsoft »

Offline JOHNJB

« Reply #548 on: January 29, 2013, 09:13:26 pm »

Is this a meaningful display for this topic ?

Update 1.005 solves some importants bugs in math function.

Offline zlabsoft

• Contributor
« Reply #549 on: January 30, 2013, 05:08:01 am »
The above result in question is come from DS2102 firmware 1.0.0.5

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf