Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1092660 times)

Offline zibadun

• Regular Contributor
Yes, DS2000 might be good for people who work mainly with digital signals... They will never need the cursors in XY mode, for example.

You are right, I was not able to get a stable display of two independent signals...   What a bummer.   May be this is firmware fixable...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I asked John South at Emona and he chased the latest firmware, and still no official date for the next update.

Dave.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
zibadun Ask member named Drieg, he will give you advice. :-+
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline KuchateK

• Regular Contributor
I asked John South at Emona and he chased the latest firmware, and still no official date for the next update.
Is it Rigol's choice to postpone your review until you'll get final firmware version?

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
Is it Rigol's choice to postpone your review until you'll get final firmware version?

I'm assuming Dave already has the latest firmware. Rigol is likely still developing the new cheese.

Offline nack

• Regular Contributor

Dave.

Thanks for the update.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
If you look at the firmware changelog of Agilent DSOX2000, you will see that they released the firmware updates quite often, especially in beginning of 2011, when the scope was new. (I hope that they will allow the search function in future, the button is already there.  :) It is somewhere in this video... http://youtu.be/S62G0F4B1q0)
So dear Rigol guys, learn from Agilent, please.  :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:44:14 pm by Hydrawerk »

Offline Uffe

Very nice review, thanks!  :-+

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Very nice review, thanks!  :-+
Thanks Uffe!  And on another subject -  I had a very nice unexpected surprise last week: all of my options are now official versions  :)

No, no, it didn't happen via a bug or hack  ;)  but via the good graces of my dealer,  Petr Šmíd (drieg) of Silcon Electronics - and Rigol Technologies.

Apparently several weeks ago, unbeknownst  to me, Petr had suggested to Rigol that they support/credit my continual development of UltraVision utility software by granting a full set of free options. They said they would think about it - and then he heard nothing about it for awhile. Then, while arranging other business with them last week, they suddenly sent the license code.

So - many thanks to Rigol for their show of support -- but most of all, my gratitude goes to Petr - who continually goes above and beyond the normal service one might expect. For me, this is just another example of why it's worthwhile to buy test and measurement equipment from someone you can/have develop(ed) a personal relationship with - even if it costs more money than the cheapest alternative.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
-  I had a very nice unexpected surprise last week: all of my options are now official versions  :)

Congratulations! It is a nice prize about your development work!

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Congratulations! It is a nice prize about your development work!

Thanks EV! And perhaps it shows that Rigol starts to move more towards improving the relationship with their customers.

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
 :-+ for you marmad - it's nice that they show a little support for you!

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
CONGRATS !! Great to see stuff like this still happens .. sure adds another NOTCH to deciding to go with Rigol.
Now I'm definitely buying one of their 4000 scopes.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Now I'm definitely buying one of their 4000 scopes.

Likely you and I both my friend.  I'm going to wait until May with hopes they have one on display at the Dayton Ham Fest, I'd like to push a few buttons before I buy. 

If you end up with one be sure and post all about!

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
Quote from: dr.diesel
If you end up with one be sure and post all about!
Well I'm slightly ahead of you. A colleague bought a DS4034 a couple months ago on my recommendation, and I loaned it for a
few weeks for a tough project. I was also handy to compare it against my older LeCroys and a cheapass SDS7102V Owon.
It IS a nice scope, but the LeCroys shitted all over it with triggering ability. I spent ages trying to get the Rigol to lock onto glitches
that I knew were there. The poor ol' Owon actually didn't fare too bad either, but it DID have some serious limitations in
triggering. For me, the Owon is damn handy to take out on HV EV jobs, because it's battery powered and damn cheap, so I don't care
if I pop it. But, I DO like the huge Rigol screen, and it has enough features to make the cheaper 100MHz version worthwhile for me.
BUT for my serious stuff, I'm on the lookout for a couple more older LeCroys.
The only new fly in the ointment is the GW Instek, which has suddenly become interesting (due to their recent IMPROVEMENT in
their communication skills). In all the years I bought their stuff, I never had a decent reply from sales / support, so I had given up
on them. Now the baskits seem to be a bit more friendly. I may wait to see how that pans out as well.
Guess May isn't that far away.

Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
The only new fly in the ointment is the GW Instek, which has suddenly become interesting (due to their recent IMPROVEMENT in
their communication skills). In all the years I bought their stuff, I never had a decent reply from sales / support, so I had given up
on them. Now the baskits seem to be a bit more friendly. I may wait to see how that pans out as well.
Guess May isn't that far away.

Yes, it will be interesting to see Rigol's response to Instek's entry into this particular price range. They have priced their 2-channel 2000As exactly the same as Rigol's DS2000 prices   ;D

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Anyway, is Rigol ever going to release the new DS2000 firmware, as they promised in november 2012, or so?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Anyway, is Rigol ever going to release the new DS2000 firmware, as they promised in november 2012, or so?

As mentioned elsewhere, the firmware is stable - and all of the operational bugs are minor. The only exception is when trying to read memory out of the scope - which can be, I admit, a problem for me in terms of the software I'm writing for it - but it doesn't stop me from using the scope in my day-to-day paid work in any way. I think they feel it's the next major update and they're taking their time with it to avoid adding new bugs. But I'm not sure what difference that makes to you - and why you keep posting this question over and over?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:55:05 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
@Marmad ,Congrats on your options,
You have helped many owners and supported Rigol's DS2000 & more.
You well deserve it  :-+ :-+ :-+.   and maybe 200 MHz , later. 
Good to see your good work rewarded.   10 Tulip rating  ;)

Thanks Teneyes, I really appreciate it. Now I've gotten support from both you and Rigol (and Petr)  ;D  BTW, half of the 'support' you gave me went to support Wikipedia - so you've supported them too  ;)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
and why you keep posting this question over and over?
Maybe because Dave will do a review when the new firmware is released. I am looking forward to it.

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
Nice work marmad on acquiring those Offcial option codes ;).
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Nice work marmad on acquiring those Offcial option codes ;).

Thanks ve7xen - although it was just one code that did them all  :) 

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
They got off cheap, they should send you a 4000 series with all the options on for all the work you have done :-+

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
They got off cheap, they should send you a 4000 series with all the options on for all the work you have done :-+

Agreed! ;D   Thanks, I appreciate it - but in any case, I'm having fun working on it when I have the time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf