Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1091421 times)

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Nice work!  :-+
But what the heck are Rigol doing with their serial number system, can it get any more confusing?

LOL - yes! And exactly how many decimal digits of version number do they actually need? Will this series be manufactured for the next 100 years?  ;D

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
* NEW FIRMWARE FOR DS2000: FW v.01.00.00.03 *

I've been wondering about the firmware for these scopes since I got interested in buying one, but I've never seen on their site where the firmware is available for download. All I can find is a document that tells you how to install the firmware.

Where are the firmware updates located at the Rigol website?  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Where are the firmware updates located at the Rigol website?  :-//

I've never looked for FW updates at their website (always got it from my dealer or other users), but from what I understand, this is one area where Rigol could stand improvement (as well as in documentation, communication, etc. - the typical weak points of Chinese companies).

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
I've never looked for FW updates at their website (always got it from my dealer or other users), ...

What dealers provide the firmware?

How do other users get it?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Rednaxela

Huh, neat. After seeing Dave's video comparing the DS2000 series and DS1000 series I've been tempted to get a DS2072, but now after hearing about this firmware update I'm even more tempted to get a DS2072 now...

Thanks for checking this out Marmad :)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I've never looked for FW updates at their website (always got it from my dealer or other users), but from what I understand, this is one area where Rigol could stand improvement (as well as in documentation, communication, etc. - the typical weak points of Chinese companies).

Rigol have remarked to me (not to be taken as an official reason I suppose) that they didn't think their firmware update process is robust enough yet to encourage every man and his dog to attempt it. i.e. they don't want a flood of bricked scopes or support calls coming through.
They are certainly aware of how the lack of downloadable firmware is a not a good look for them, and are working on on it.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
What dealers provide the firmware?

The one you bought it from should, if they are any good.

How do other users get it?

If you ask on here, the firmware fairy might pay you a visit  ;D

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
They are certainly aware of how the lack of downloadable firmware is a not a good look for them, and are working on on it.

Come-on Rigol... It only takes 10 minutes to put a few files on a server with a brick warning next to it :D

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Come-on Rigol... It only takes 10 minutes to put a few files on a server with a brick warning next to it :D

Problem is, people never read anything  ::)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Rigol have remarked to me (not to be taken as an official reason I suppose) that they didn't think their firmware update process is robust enough yet to encourage every man and his dog to attempt it. i.e. they don't want a flood of bricked scopes or support calls coming through.

Good point, Dave. I thought they had fixed this bug in FW 01.00.05 (not being able to update from the GUI menu) - but apparently not. It's rather complicated using the boot-loader, and even though we've posted the instructions (and warning) in this thread (and other threads in the forum as well), many people have locked up their scopes. I'll have to add this back into the bug list on page 1 once it's revised.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:33:24 pm by marmad »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
OK thanks guys. I was afraid I was just to dumb to locate it.

I wrote Rigol about it this morning let's see if I get a response.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
OK, new firmware is intalled!   :) :)

Offline nack

• Regular Contributor
Great work by Marmad for investigating and providing a list of bugs for the ds2000 scope. Also to my delight Rigol has responded by fixing a lot of reported issues. It makes me even more confident of buying a DS2102 very soon :)

Again, great work by Marmad and Rigol.

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
Can someone with 2072 and new software test this setup file..

This setup file gives a DS2072 a   2 nSec   timebase..

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive

What's the matter, Wim - afraid you won't be able to downgrade?  ;)  That's the main question - and I haven't tried it yet; still hoping Drieg will answer the question before I take the risk  ;D  I suspect, because of the problems with the update procedure - that it's still possible to downgrade back to 05.

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor

What's the matter, Wim - afraid you won't be able to downgrade?  ;)  That's the main question - and I haven't tried it yet; still hoping Drieg will answer the question before I take the risk  ;D  I suspect, because of the problems with the update procedure - that it's still possible to downgrade back to 05.

Maybe.... :palm:

There are two loaders, i understand, one in the basic rom, and one in the firmware, so the buggy loader was
in the firmware, which only can be repaired in the latest version, so the maybe in the new version they have
repaired the loader, but you can only test that on the next next version

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
We now have many more option times for the screen saver too :)

Offline wb3fsr

• Contributor
Rigol Firmware update IS NOT RELEASED to the USA yet
« Reply #692 on: April 12, 2013, 02:37:15 pm »
Just spoke with Rick @ Tequipment who are located no more than five miles from me here on the Jersey Shore.

Rick contacted Rigol N/A and the word is: Not released to the US yet 'It's coming around the World' and it may take up to 30 days before we see it. 

Registered owners will receive an email blast when it's released for your geolocation.

Regards,

PeterV [REN] WB3FSR
PeterV [REN]
Jersey Shore

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
Thanks a lot to marmad for his great Review and helpful information on this thread!!!

I am looking for a new scope and thanks to this topic I am considering the DS2000 series.
I have not yet decided if the higher prices for the DS2102/2202 models are worth to closer look at them.
Besides the obvious higher bandwidth and the better probes, are there any helpful advantages/things to take in consideration?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: Rigol Firmware update IS NOT RELEASED to the USA yet
« Reply #694 on: April 12, 2013, 02:45:22 pm »
Just spoke with Rick @ Tequipment who are located no more than five miles from me here on the Jersey Shore.

Rick contacted Rigol N/A and the word is: Not released to the US yet 'It's coming around the World' and it may take up to 30 days before we see it. 

Registered owners will receive an email blast when it's released for your geolocation.

Regards,

PeterV [REN] WB3FSR

Ha! It goes around the world in about 5 minutes.  ;D

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
Ha! It goes around the world in about 5 minutes.  ;D

Exactly :-+

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I am looking for a new scope and thanks to this topic I am considering the DS2000 series.
I have not yet decided if the higher prices for the DS2102/2202 models are worth to closer look at them.
Besides the obvious higher bandwidth and the better probes, are there any helpful advantages/things to take in consideration?

Thanks for your kind words. The probes are the same (RP-3300: 350MHz @ 10x) for all the models - so it's really just a bandwidth issue (plus you get the 2ns timebase setting in the DS2202).

Offline wb3fsr

• Contributor
Hi Mark,

Maybe they disabled their RTC...  :palm:

Oh, they have a different calendar.

PeterV
PeterV [REN]
Jersey Shore

Offline zibadun

• Regular Contributor
Dear firmware fairy, please visit.   :-/O

Updated (per marmad):  :scared:  :scared:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:00:39 pm by zibadun »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Dear firmware fairy, please visit.   :-/O

Actually, Vasily, I think this is the correct dance to call the fairy:  :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf