Author Topic: I have Analogic / Data Precision 6000 / 6100 Manuals available to share!  (Read 3440 times)

Offline DunckxTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi Folks,

I have volumes 2 and 3 of the manuals for these instruments ;D.  Whilst I have scoured the web for volume 1 (the user's manual) for fifteen years plus and found nothing, I have now scanned at 150dpi greyscale volume 2, the Command Index which contains all the programming commands, and volume 3 which has Application Notes with a few simple BASIC programs and example output.

Volume 2 is 43Meg and volume 3 is 19Meg which means they are too big for email.

Is there a file upload area here where these can be made available to everybody, or would it be better if I upload them to ko4bb.com?  Anywhere else I could put them?
All suggestions gratefully received.
"God help us, we're in the hands of engineers." - Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

• Contributor
Uploaded to K04BB!  Awaiting approval/release for download.
"God help us, we're in the hands of engineers." - Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

The following users thanked this post: alm

Online alm

• Super Contributor
Thanks for going through all the effort of scanning these manuals! KO4BB, Bama and xdevs.com (maintained primarily by forum user TiN) are the usual places for test equipment manuals. I try to upload to all three just in case one of them ever goes down.

The following users thanked this post: Dunckx

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
Hi Folks,

I have volumes 2 and 3 of the manuals for these instruments ;D.  Whilst I have scoured the web for volume 1 (the user's manual) for fifteen years plus and found nothing, I have now scanned at 150dpi greyscale volume 2, the Command Index which contains all the programming commands, and volume 3 which has Application Notes with a few simple BASIC programs and example output.

Volume 2 is 43Meg and volume 3 is 19Meg which means they are too big for email.

Is there a file upload area here where these can be made available to everybody, or would it be better if I upload them to ko4bb.com?  Anywhere else I could put them?
All suggestions gratefully received.
I have a hard copy of vol 1 version 82-5025, vol. 2 ver. 82-5033 and vol 3 ver. 82-5034. All are for the 6100 so not sure if they are useful for the 6000.

Someday I will get round to scanning these and uploading but the vol 1 is considerably larger than than the other two volumes so the scan is going to be huge.

Now if only someone could find some schematics for the 6100!

The following users thanked this post: Dunckx

• Contributor
Thanks for responding.

@alm I will take a look at Bama and xdevs tomorrow and upload the files.

@srb1954 Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :)  Volume one exists!  Yippee!  I'm longing to see it, as for the last fifteen years I've had to guess how to use this thing and barely managed to grab a waveform and do an FT on it.  One of the things I am hoping to do is be able to download the data via RS232 (just ordered some cables) and/or GPIB (just looking at Prologix and EZGPIB).  I say "hoping" as I'm not much cop at digital :-[

The 6000 is supposedly similar enough to the 6100 that the application notes manual contents are taken from the 6000 and specifically states that they will run fine on the 6100.  Since the 2020 arbitrary waveform generator is meant to work with both of these instruments, the manual for that (which I've seen online but off the top of my head don't recall where) should give some hints of how they work together.

I was going to retire the 6100, but on second thoughts it still has significant capabilities, even compared to new kit.  I thought the 611-1 plug-in was twelve bit (it's that long since I used it!) but it is 14 bit and covers up to 100kHz.  The 660B plug-in is 8 bit but goes up to 250Mhz and the fastest sample rate is 40ps, which suggests to me that 250MHz is being conservative.  Mind you, that fastest sample rate failed self-test when I last tried to use it.  But the "slower" speeds work fine.  It's a bit noisy with a 100cfm Papst fan, but I've bought a Noctua NF-F12 2000rpm fan and I'll try swapping them and see if the Noctua is quieter.  If only I can work out how to extract the data...

Most of the material in the two manuals I have is probably not that useful, as it concerns processing the data on the analyzer itself and these days you'd be better off downloading it to your computer and massaging the data there.  Much faster and more capabilities.  Which is what I'm hoping to do.

Sadly, I have no schematics to offer :(

• Contributor
I have now uploaded these two manuals to xdevs and BAMA.  Awaiting approval etc.  Enjoy!

The following users thanked this post: alm

Offline ManusFechis

I used to have the printed version of the first volume and it was such a headache to spend hours looking for it. And well nobody bothered to use it like normal people do so I ended up with a greasy crumpled book-looking thing. So I just scanned every single page and made my own digital manual on this site. Won`t lie, it took me a while and I was ready to accept defeat when I was like halfway through. But now whenever I need it I just open a neat file on my laptop and feel like I`m living. I even made notes for myself and reorganized the chapters. Not what I wanted but def what I needed. Was it worth doing? Definitely yes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:13:19 pm by ManusFechis »

Offline joelgraff

• Contributor
I used to have the printed version of the first volume and it was such a headache to spend hours looking for it. And well nobody bothered to use it like normal people do so I ended up with a greasy crumpled book-looking thing. So I just scanned every single page and made my own digital manual on this site. Won`t lie, it took me a while and I was ready to accept defeat when I was like halfway through. But now whenever I need it I just open a neat file on my laptop and feel like I`m living. I even made notes for myself and reorganized the chapters. Not what I wanted but def what I needed. Was it worth doing? Definitely yes.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but do you have Vol 1 of this manual somewhere?  The link is broken in your post.  I just acquired one of these and would love to have a copy.

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
Once upon a time I used the 6000 extensively. We used to call it "the professor in a box" because its signal processing math was extensive and accurate on complex (mag & phase) data. Best-in-class in its day. The user interface sux so it really does help to program and remotely control it for measurements you do frequently.

The 6000 is supposedly similar enough to the 6100 that the application notes manual contents are taken from the 6000 and specifically states that they will run fine on the 6100.

Most should run without change, except the 6100 had a clock and memory-backed storage that the 6000 did not.

I was going to retire the 6100, but on second thoughts it still has significant capabilities, even compared to new kit.  I thought the 611-1 plug-in was twelve bit (it's that long since I used it!) but it is 14 bit and covers up to 100kHz.

Note that the 611's maximum sample rate is 100kHz, with a usable BW of maybe 35kHz. None of the plugins included input antialiasing filters, let alone tracking ones, so watch out for those artifacts and/or do your own input filtering.

Most of the material in the two manuals I have is probably not that useful, as it concerns processing the data on the analyzer itself and these days you'd be better off downloading it to your computer and massaging the data there.  Much faster and more capabilities.  Which is what I'm hoping to do.

Methinks you'd be surprised... the available math is surprisingly complete.

Offline slbender

• Regular Contributor

I once had two of these Data Precision’s 6100 units, which had different plugins. One did not power up and was thrown out about ten or twelve years back (I kept its plug-in).  The other one, with the 630 plug-in did power up, but lacking the docs, I had no idea what to do with it.  So, for the past ten years I used it as a back rest when watching TV.  All those damn push buttons!  And the noisy fan.  I’d love to have the manual volume 1 just to see what it should be able to do.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 04:07:49 am by slbender »

Offline Wazza

• Contributor
Hello,

I've checked both Bama and Xdevs and volume one of the manuals is not listed. Is there a way I can obtain a copy from you please?

Regards,

Warren

• Contributor
Bump!

I would love to see a copy of vol. 1.  ManusFechis or srb1954 or anyone else?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf