Poll

Buying a scope. Budgeting $150 to $200 per month for "toys". Do you...?

Save for 2 months (assuming $350-400 US) and buy a DS1052E and potentially outgrow it in a year or five. Or potentially lose interest in the hobby.
32 (37.6%)
Save for 4-6 months and buy a DS2072E (assuming ~$830 US) and potentially never use anything beyond what the DS1052e would have done.
53 (62.4%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: First scope, lost in the reviews  (Read 49102 times)

Offline Galaxyrise

• Frequent Contributor
Re: First scope, lost in the reviews
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2013, 06:58:59 pm »
And that $300 is with free shipping, too.
I am but an egg

Offline stazeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • I _might_ have a problem...
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:49 pm »
Yeah... kind of hard to argue it's worth buying used gear only to save 10%. =/

Wish the tequipment discount (and new low price) were reflected on their amazon store!
“Give a man an answer, he’ll keep his job for a day. Teach a man to Google, and he’ll be employed for a lifetime”

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2013, 11:50:00 pm »
Just bought a new 1052e. Price on tequipment was just too good.

Thanks all!
“Give a man an answer, he’ll keep his job for a day. Teach a man to Google, and he’ll be employed for a lifetime”

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2013, 01:36:43 pm »
Enjoy, $320 free ship, can't lose.  Test it thoroughly so you can return it sooner should it have assembly defects.

Just bought a new 1052e. Price on tequipment was just too good.

Thanks all!
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2013, 05:31:10 pm »
$300 actually, since eevblog members get the nice discount.

I do plan to test, but since I don't have a FG (yet), it's going to have to be pretty basic. Also plan to hack (to 100mhz) pretty early (after I'm sure it actually powers up and works).

Thanks!

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2013, 07:55:45 pm »
Wow, that's the lowest yet I've heard.  Enjoy.

$300 actually, since eevblog members get the nice discount.

I do plan to test, but since I don't have a FG (yet), it's going to have to be pretty basic. Also plan to hack (to 100mhz) pretty early (after I'm sure it actually powers up and works).

Thanks!
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2013, 01:49:33 am »
Just got my 1052e, and after confirming everything works, I used the hacked firmware to update to 100mhz. Seems to work great.

Do think the fan is a bit louder than I'd like, but nothing I'm not used to.

Now I just need a function generator.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2013, 02:05:56 am »
I had an Instek SFG-1013 gen when I had that scope that I can recommend as stable and very good VFM. But if you want something more future proof as for bandwidth extension and much more flexibility there isn't anything really VFM than the Siglent series around. It has a jitter problem that the guys here managed to ameliorate enough by soldering a different small component on its PCB. An easy enough fix as I read.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2013, 07:44:12 am »
Cool, that (or it's little brother the 1003) is what I was looking at. Amazing what you can get for such a small price! So far, love the DS1052e, but the fan is a bit loud. Guessing in 6 months or so I'll hack a new fan in there...

What's weird is it starts out pretty quiet, but then ramps up. Looking at disassembly images, it doesn't seem like it is temp controlled... so, not sure what's up with that. Anyone hear the same thing?

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2013, 01:37:44 pm »
Too me it was very annoying, a screamer, and I substituted it with a silent model. It went to whisper quiet level after that. Even my DS2000 fan I find annoying but half annoying to the DS1000 series one. I don't think it ever ramped up or down. It was a 2 wire fan fed off a steady voltage. Its about psychoacoustics IMO. The ear/brain locks to the annoyance after a while harder. Like tuning to a background conversation. See about the fan fix there also https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/rigol-1052e-fan-replacement/msg104898/#msg104898

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2013, 09:37:43 pm »
I would be interested in knowing the serial number of the new ones as I bought mine two months ago and it's quiet. Some of us thought they might have fixed the problem in the latest production run.  Serial number might be a clue.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2013, 09:38:37 pm »
Yeah, that's what I thought.

I'll post my serial number back here later tonight (PST).

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2013, 12:00:54 am »
Serial number is : DS1ET150200741

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2013, 01:13:26 am »
For the those who had asked me, the original fan has this spec: GLOFN GFA06015H12H, 5500rpm @12V DC, 34.2m3/h. 36.5dBA noise.
1 m3/h = 0.5885745 CFM. So 34.2m3/h translates to 20.13 CFM.

Exactly the info I was looking for! 5500rpm! And I don't believe that dBA for a second, that seems way too low given the fan speed. I don't see how the unit needs that kind of airflow. I used to have a real screamer CPU fan (Delta 60mm, like 47dBA (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213012)) for something that put out about 75W... why would this Rigol need something that puts out half that airflow when it's only generating 1/4 or less of the heat?

http://www.nmbtc.com/all/part-numbers/search/2406KL-04W-B59-L00/5033

Guessing the scope doesn't need that much airflow. I'd think one of these would work just fine.

http://www.nmbtc.com/all/part-numbers/search/2406KL-04W-B39-L00/5031

Or better yet, though not sure they'd produce quite enough:

http://www.nmbtc.com/all/part-numbers/search/2406KL-04W-B10/3802 (19dB!, but only 6.7CFM)

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2013, 01:21:12 am »
Keep CFM the same. It does not blow onto something specific from a close distance, it just sucks out from a big enough cavity which is what the scope's bowels reside in. So it gotta move enough air. The one I used was there for CFM and was really quiet.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2013, 01:22:30 am »
*nods* just seems silly how loud it is.

I think I'll just drop an 80mm panaflo I have in there... 60mm fans are just loud by nature.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2013, 01:27:46 am »
Serial number is : DS1ET150200741

Mine is DS1ET144801866 and the fan is quiet.  Don't know how the serial numbers work.  Probably incorporate a date or production code.  Don't think they would be a half a million apart.
Maybe I got just lucky with mine.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2013, 01:31:47 am »
Mine is DS1ET144801866 and the fan is quiet.  Don't know how the serial numbers work.  Probably incorporate a date or production code.  Don't think they would be a half a million apart.
Maybe I got just lucky with mine.

Obviously some of this is qualitative. Your "quiet" could be "loud", and my "loud" could be quiet. Heck, I wouldn't even call mine "loud", it's just "louder than I would have thought for the device". Heck, old Analog scopes were certainly louder than this (my Drobo is louder than this, but it's still noticeable).

Either way the serials work, mine would seem to be a later production than yours. So I doubt that's it. I just figure in 6 months or so, when I know this thing is past it's likely early failure time, I'll pop it open and drop a quiet fan in there.

Now, if we had some db meters...

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2013, 02:07:51 am »
My "Quiet" is quiet.  I have to turn the fan side toward me to hear the fan.  Quieter than any other test equipment I have with a fan.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2013, 04:32:23 am »
weird. don't understand why there would be such a difference.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2013, 12:03:55 pm »
Its likely variation in manufacture or the brand of fan used; if you hear noise its almost certainly the bearings or what is used for the same.  You pay a little extra for a truly classified as "low noise," fan.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2013, 05:10:47 pm »
Its likely variation in manufacture or the brand of fan used; if you hear noise its almost certainly the bearings or what is used for the same.  You pay a little extra for a truly classified as "low noise," fan.

Understood. But mine isn't the bearing, it's just air flow noise... which is probably mostly caused by it being a 5500rpm fan (which seems crazy to me), and the air movement past all the grills. The only thing I can think is the "quiet" ones are the odd ones out, and they used a different OEM for the fan, or somehow set the fan voltage lower than the 10v or whatever someone measured was being fed to them. Anyway, not a huge deal. Just seems like something that should have been caught in their engineering phase (or at least in later revisions).

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2013, 05:40:53 pm »
If so, consider:

http://www.jmcproducts.com/acoustic-noise/

Understood. But mine isn't the bearing, it's just air flow noise... which is probably mostly caused by it being a 5500rpm fan (which seems crazy to me), and the air movement past all the grills.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2013, 06:05:56 pm »
yeah. I know most of this stuff (used to do a lot of custom PC work, water cooling, etc). =P

I'll just wait until I'm fairly certain the scope isn't going to die an early death before voiding the warranty and dropping a new fan in there, and maybe cut out some of the grills. =) Al la: http://www.arduinoos.com/2011/06/rigol-1052e-dso/

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2013, 06:17:30 pm »
Does anyone know if a 60mmx25mm fan will fit? the stock is only 15mm deep, it sounds like.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf