Poll

Buying a scope. Budgeting $150 to $200 per month for "toys". Do you...?

Save for 2 months (assuming $350-400 US) and buy a DS1052E and potentially outgrow it in a year or five. Or potentially lose interest in the hobby.
32 (37.6%)
Save for 4-6 months and buy a DS2072E (assuming ~$830 US) and potentially never use anything beyond what the DS1052e would have done.
53 (62.4%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: First scope, lost in the reviews  (Read 49084 times)

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
Re: First scope, lost in the reviews
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2013, 06:24:34 pm »
There is nothing behind the fan to obstruct it depth wise.

Offline stazeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • I _might_ have a problem...
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2013, 06:33:20 pm »
awesome. So either a Gelid, or a Noctua. =)
“Give a man an answer, he’ll keep his job for a day. Teach a man to Google, and he’ll be employed for a lifetime”

Offline Galaxyrise

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2013, 04:52:16 pm »
So we all lose, as there wasn't an option for "buy one of each"! :P  Now that you have them both (and presumably have used them both a bit), how do you feel about your original question?
I am but an egg

Offline stazeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • I _might_ have a problem...
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2013, 05:20:10 pm »
So we all lose, as there wasn't an option for "buy one of each"! :P  Now that you have them both (and presumably have used them both a bit), how do you feel about your original question?

Well, I bought the DS1052, and work bought me the DS2072. =) So, it's still valid. =)

I really liked the DS1052e. It worked. It was simple, did what it should, and was really inexpensive. Used it to fix several pieces of equipment.

Yes, the DS2072 is better. Is it worth 3 times as much? I don't know yet, but with how much I've used it, maybe not, at least for what I do with the scope (electronics repair). Yeah, a $100 analog scope would have worked too, but I never found one I really liked for that price point.

What really muddies the waters is the new DS1000z series. 4 channels for $500 (if you include the tequipment eevblog discount)! And for not much more, you get an AWG. Crap, my bench (shelf) would be much less cluttered! =) I haven't used one, so who knows... but given the specs, I wouldn't hesitate a moment if it was my money. I'd grab the DS1000z and never look back.

But, if you only have the $300 like I had... I wouldn't hesitate a second to get the DS1052e unless you have some big need for the extra features of the higher end scope, or just hate buying older tech. The 1052 served me extremely well. I'm still not sure if I'm going to sell it, or keep it around (I could easily use it as another two channels by linking it to the DS2072).

Hopefully that makes sense. I can't really speak to the difference if you're doing higher end work, but for repair... depending on what it was, you could probably buy the 1052e and make that money back just on the hours billed for the repair. =)
“Give a man an answer, he’ll keep his job for a day. Teach a man to Google, and he’ll be employed for a lifetime”

Offline casper.bang

• Frequent Contributor
  • Pro SE, amateur EE.
    • BangBits
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2013, 06:05:36 pm »
The DS1000Z looks like the one I have been waiting for. I wish there were a 2-channel DS1000Z version as a direct replacement for the old DS1052E, but at €535 the DS1000Z is a lot more affordable than the €845 DS2000 (Batronix prices).

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2013, 06:51:28 pm »
You get your money's worth as you buy up the Rigol family of scopes.  If you buy just what you need you get the biggest bang for buck.  Glad to see Rigol is innovating as best possible on the low end too.

Note, on the 1000z, per the specs, at 4 channels, the max sampling rate drops to 250Ms/s.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2013, 06:58:16 pm »
Well, the 1GSa/s ADCs are available since 1997 or so (remember TDS220), but they are still expensive.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

alm

« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2013, 07:21:35 pm »
Those were not off the shelf ADCs, and used an analog shift register as fast in, slow out FIFO, so the actual ADC did not have to run at 1 GS/s.

Offline Attorney

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2013, 07:41:35 pm »
You get your money's worth as you buy up the Rigol family of scopes.  If you buy just what you need you get the biggest bang for buck.  Glad to see Rigol is innovating as best possible on the low end too.

Note, on the 1000z, per the specs, at 4 channels, the max sampling rate drops to 250Ms/s.

It's shame they didn't limit the sampling destruction to 500Ms/s as all four channels are engaged.  250Ms/s is a pretty big hit.   Otherwise, it looks like a great 70/100 MHz scope. 

Paul   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf