Author Topic: FLIR E4 Teardown Q/A and newbie questions  (Read 75758 times)

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: FLIR E4 Teardown Q/A and newbie questions
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 08:30:52 pm »
Measurements top out at +280 Degrees C on my E4. At that temperature it shows >280C and reads no higher. It indicates >280C until such time as the measured temperature drops below 280C.

The minimum reading I could take in my Freezer was -31 Degrees C and the E4 was still able to go lower. It was indicating the ' * ' prefix. I must warn that the sub Zero C accuracy of a stock calibration E4 camera is proven to be pretty poor.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline GallymimusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 08:37:07 pm »
@ humdinger13:
You could try to unprotect another *.cfc file from your backup with ftool, just to see if the SUID matches. Maybe you have overwritten the file before you made the backup? Or you have overwritten the file from your backup?

Good idea - I thought about that too.  I did just confirm that my cfc with the timestamp of when I first backed up did make it, and does match  suid's.  I will see if I can verify using your recommendation.  Hopefully this can tell us something..

Just to be sure you didn't miss something... the end of your cfg file before running crc03 looks like this right?

Code: [Select]
.caps.hw entry
.caps.hw.sdcard entry
.caps.hw.sdcard.enabled bool false
# ID xxxxxxxx

and there is another CRLF after the ID.

THEN you add the # CRC03 xxxxxxxxxx and a final CRLF
then use the protect tool inputting the 2 part SUID that you got when unprotecting

Right?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:38:39 pm by Gallymimus »

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 09:03:03 pm »
@ humdinger13:
You could try to unprotect another *.cfc file from your backup with ftool, just to see if the SUID matches. Maybe you have overwritten the file before you made the backup? Or you have overwritten the file from your backup?

Good idea - I thought about that too.  I did just confirm that my cfc with the timestamp of when I first backed up did make it, and does match  suid's.  I will see if I can verify using your recommendation.  Hopefully this can tell us something..

Just to be sure you didn't miss something... the end of your cfg file before running crc03 looks like this right?

Code: [Select]
.caps.hw entry
.caps.hw.sdcard entry
# ID xxxxxxxx

and there is another CRLF after the ID.

THEN you add the # CRC03 xxxxxxxxxx and a final CRLF
then use the protect tool inputting the 2 part SUID that you got when unprotecting

Right?

yeah, here's a copy and paste.  The program works as expected. 
.caps.hw entry
.caps.hw.sdcard entry
# ID 6391xxxx
# CRC03 c8ba7ed0[crlf]

I took stefbeer's advice and checked the suid from FlashFS\system\services.d\config.d\conf.cfc, and there's a complete match.  So now I'm really bummed.  I was hoping I made a mistake somewhere. 

If that is the only file that needs to be hacked, I'm pretty certain that after 20 attempts something should have worked.  My only other thought then is something else went wrong somewhere or Flir surreptitiously installed some blocking mechanism. 

In case anyone is wondering, I did do cold boots after removing the battery each time.

Thanks..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:17:11 am by humdinger13 »

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 07:10:31 am »
I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who helped me, and of course to all those, especially Mike, for making my new E8 + possible.  Yes that's right, I got it working.  I read some of the documentation, and due to CRC'S, it appears that any unneeded files will cause it to fail and revert to the original configuration.  I had left a copy on the system as a backup.  As soon as I removed it, voila, the resolution got massively better, and the menu now has PIP, auto hot/cold, red above, and blue below. 

I am now a very happy camper.  I only wish that I hadn't spent a full two days tearing my hair out for a 10 minute job.  But I guess it was still worth it.  It might be useful to others to know what I found out before starting.  And Stefbeer, your tool is the best.  It takes ALL the guesswork out of the process.  It should be listed on the first page.

Now to do the menu hacks...

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 01:09:06 am »
...I had left a copy on the system as a backup.  As soon as I removed it, voila, the resolution got massively better, and the menu now has PIP, auto hot/cold, red above, and blue below...
The changed/hacked cfc file can stand besides the original cfc file, but it must come after 'conf' in alphabetical order (e.g. 'e8.cfc').  This makes the E4-hack save for the return to original state. You have just to delete your hacked cfc file (e8.cfc).
For menu hack, things look different. Here files must be overwritten and added together. Don't forget to make a backup!

So the best way to approach this is to copy the entire directory i take it?  That's what it sounds like.

Also, anyone having an issue on bootup where the screen is mostly white with speckles?  I've had that a few times now and usually have to reboot, or go into the image settings.

Thanks again for the help!  I really appreciate it!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 03:26:02 am »
It's of course good to do a full backup but to go back to factory default you should really know what you are changing in the first place.  Deleting the altered config file and restoring the original is simple enough for the basic hack, but fixing the menu system will require overwriting the changed files and deleting the added ones.  This is a little more complex.

I've never had the frozen speckle screen as you are describing on my 1.21 unit.

Offline jumbo

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 02:05:19 pm »
Hello!

I bought today (23.04.2014) flir E4
Hardware 1.1L
Serial #63901-xxxx
FW:1.21.0
loc. Pol

I have windows 7 x64 is it problem?

Is this movie still actual? this links under video?

shuld I do exacly the same, step by step?
How I can make backup before haking?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 03:31:55 pm »
Hello!

I bought today (23.04.2014) flir E4
Hardware 1.1L
Serial #63901-xxxx
FW:1.21.0
loc. Pol

I have windows 7 x64 is it problem?

Is this movie still actual? this links under video?

shuld I do exacly the same, step by step?
How I can make backup before haking?

Windows 7 will work fine.  I don't know about the video but it is probably accurate.  Going step by step should be okay.  I would not recommend doing this upgrade if you do not understand computers, networking, and a little about FTP.  It isn't really meant for people without any knowledge and many people get stuck.

To do a backup use filezilla and copy all of the files from the camera to your PC.  really though I would only worry about backing up the conf.cfg or conf.cfc file.  that is the one that can mess up your camera in this process.

Offline jumbo

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 04:33:32 pm »
I will try hack at Saturday.
What if this generator give me diferent code for conf.cfg or conf.cfc file then this metod from YT?

here is generator:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg411505/#msg411505

whitch one will be rightful?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 04:52:26 pm »
What if this generator give me diferent code for conf.cfg or conf.cfc file then this metod from YT?

here is generator:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg411505/#msg411505

I imagine they would both work and should give you the same code. 

make sure you are using the method for your firmware (it's different for 1.19 vs 1.21/1.22)   1.19 uses conf.cfg, and crc01 and is easy.  1.21/1.22 use conf.cfc and require crc03 code and also encrypting the conf.cfg to conf.cfc.  If you read through the forum you should see different instructions for both.

If you get it wrong you will know because the MSX (camera overlay on the thermal image) won't work.  If that occurs you know you have the cfg/cfc file wrong and need to try again.

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 08:25:13 pm »
Those having problems with editing config files:

I've seen and heard of so many problems getting the end of the config files correct with regards
to the CRC number and the correct number of line feeds, returns, no white spaces, etc,
correctly.  It's beyond the scope of many readers as to what a hex 0D, hex 0A is or a
hex 20 is.  I'm referring to  the codes for some of the ASCII characters inside the config
files.

Although I have a full understanding of the ASCII codes and data files, when I started working
on my E40, I had problems with the file.  What put me in the right direction was to email
my config file with the correct serial number to another member on this site, who shall
remain nameless, who properly created a new CRC number, inserted it into the file, and
emailed the file back to me, ready for download.  That worked and told me where my problem
was.

So, for those who are frustrated, downloading files to their camera, and the camera not
working properly, consider having a trusted member edit their config file/s for you, at
least to get you started and for you to gain some confidence in your work.

I've only done one e40 camera, have never even seen an e4, and don't plan on getting one.
So, please don't ask me to edit your e8 (e4) files for you, I probably wouldn't even know
what I was doing.  I have to admit, I haven't fully exploited the possibilities of my e40, now
an e60, but I'm extremely happy with it.

There are good people on this forum who are friendly and are willing to help, as you can see.

Jim
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 06:01:18 am »
Was trying to help a guy over TeamViewer mod his camera but failed to get it to connect over RNDIS. I even tried in safe mode with networking with firewall disabled. It kept giving a 169. ip address. Any ideas?

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 06:04:25 am »
Was trying to help a guy over TeamViewer mod his camera but failed to get it to connect over RNDIS. I even tried in safe mode with networking with firewall disabled. It kept giving a 169. ip address. Any ideas?
Whenever Windows fails to find a DHCP server, it gives a 169 address. So in this case you can prevent that by manually setting the IP address to one in the required range. Everything should work then.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 06:21:53 am »
I believe I tried doing that, he is running windows 8 and it still did not work. What is the best way to manually set the ip?

Edit:ahh yea I was doing it wrong I will post as soon as I get back on TV with him tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:08:25 am by DaveWB »

Offline jumbo

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2014, 05:55:22 pm »

here is generator:

I made menu and resolution hack, so I have new options in my E4 and view it looks a little bit different.
Is it something more to do?

I attached old and new pictures for the same view, it is look correct?

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 06:04:56 pm »
Still can't connect, any suggestions?

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 06:14:12 pm »

here is generator:

I made menu and resolution hack, so I have new options in my E4 and view it looks a little bit different.
Is it something more to do?

I attached old and new pictures for the same view, it is look correct?
Looks like you got both, nothing else to do.

Offline tjb1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 06:20:36 pm »

Disable wifi and ethernet, restart computer and try to connect again.

I ended up at a point where I couldn't connect after doing the E8 mod and hadn't yet done the menu hack and couldn't connect again without going into device manager and disabling everything except the camera connection and then restarting.  I believe the IP I ended up using was also in the 169 range.

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 08:08:54 pm »

Disable wifi and ethernet, restart computer and try to connect again.

I ended up at a point where I couldn't connect after doing the E8 mod and hadn't yet done the menu hack and couldn't connect again without going into device manager and disabling everything except the camera connection and then restarting.  I believe the IP I ended up using was also in the 169 range.
Did both of those and was even in safe mode with networking.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 08:21:15 pm »
I've had lots of weird network problems with the cameras and I would consider myself VERY competent at small system networking.  One thing I discovered which was weird was that depending on the mood of the camera I've had it come up as 192.168.0.2 OR 192.168.1.2.  Also, setting a fixed IP address on your network adapter seems to make it worse.  setting it to DHCP and letting it auto configure seemed to produce the best results.  Also it may take a minute or two to give up on DHCP and instead auto-configure.

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2014, 01:08:32 am »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2014, 10:27:43 am »
Dave L.J. has an E8  ;)

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2014, 08:37:49 pm »
I never heard that he actually received it, only that it was stuck in Australian customs for a while. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:06:52 pm by scientist »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2014, 09:42:50 pm »
I recall Dave confirming that he now had it as a gift from FLIR. He was intending to review it when time permits.

Offline godfrey

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2014, 03:22:00 pm »
I purchased an E60 from TEquipment back in October, but wanted to get a couple of E4's just for the challenge as I absolutely will not do anything to my E60.

The E60 is currently at the FLIR service center in Nashua, New Hampshire having it's WiFi/Bluetooth issues worked out.  I've been chatting with one of the techs there (who's been just great to work with) and the feeling I get from FLIR is that they're somewhat slow to circumvent the firmware hack although they are working to close it all together…and that's where my concern comes in.

I do not know what hardware/software version I will receive -- so it's really a crap shoot.  I've tried to follow the main teardown thread, but it's grown substantially over the past few months.  Are there any known issues at this time with people receiving units that cannot be modified?

Thank you in advance,

Phil

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf