Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3770224 times)

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #5625 on: October 23, 2014, 03:21:53 pm »
Please where can I find (hack version 01) v0.1.zip?
I can not find it.
Thank you for a great job.

Offline tmbinc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5626 on: October 23, 2014, 03:46:26 pm »
There is no need for "v0.1" of this hack. You can use v0.2 just fine. Please do not recommend v0.1, since it did fewer error checks, did not automate the "stopapp" etc.;

if the only issue is the "550", you can _still_ upload the files manually. Just use v0.2, and then manually upload the files.

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #5627 on: October 23, 2014, 04:41:50 pm »
Ok.
Thank you for the clarification.
Tomorrow I'm going for 2.3 Hopefully this works:-)

Offline tmbinc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5628 on: October 23, 2014, 05:31:33 pm »
I've uploaded a new version, which hopefully works better. (It's attached to my original post)

Offline ThermalGuru

• Contributor
« Reply #5629 on: October 23, 2014, 09:53:37 pm »
BTW: I got the information that FLIR did not only reduce the resolution but also installed a noise generator to further impair the picture... I think this is a bad move, only that they can say "see, how much better our E8 model is!"
Fortunately the upgrade eliminates also the noise, which is very good visible.

Was there a "noise generator" in the E4 v1.22 too?  ??? And if so, does the v1.22 hack remove the noise generator on those models too?

Offline SWAGGYD

• Contributor
« Reply #5630 on: October 24, 2014, 09:03:41 am »
Is the FW version 2.3 did you upload the ADD-MENU (max, min, Zomm etc)?

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5631 on: October 24, 2014, 09:42:03 am »
@ SWAGGYD:
I have a potential, albeit "dirty" (won't survive firmware upgrade, for example) solution for E4 cams that came with 2.3.0. It gives upgraded resolution _only_ (for now).
[...]

@ ThermalGuru:
There always has been a virtual noise generator on the E4 (and other FLIR TICs, if not all). The original hack lowered the level of noise. This has been discussed earlier, see here, here, here, here and here.

BTW, I really love the work of tmbinc! I find it awesome that there's somebody out there who knows his stuff and is able to do something like that. I only know really really tiny basics about this stuff and I have no idea how to do any of this. It really impresses me how sligtly changing two files makes all of this work. I wouldn't even know how to start. Nice job, dude, keep it up!!!  :)

Offline Pig

« Reply #5632 on: October 24, 2014, 11:19:19 am »

- An additional network connection should be listed with IP Address 192.168.0.1 and gateway 192.168.0.2
- Enter "FTP", then "open 192.168.0.2" and a connection to your cam should be established
- Login with user "flir" and password "3vlig"

Hello. I just tried this but unfortunately can't seem to connect to the cam via CMD's FTP.
I manually assigned the IP address as it would not do it automagically, but alas, it simply won't connect via ftp.
ThermaCAM driver does connect, but I can't login via FTP for some reason...

Offline compet17

• Regular Contributor
    • Youtube - Play with Junk
« Reply #5633 on: October 24, 2014, 11:37:15 am »
*** Changed my "user guide" for use of V2 hack ***

Hello. I just tried this but unfortunately can't seem to connect to the cam via CMD's FTP.
I manually assigned the IP address as it would not do it automagically, but alas, it simply won't connect via ftp.
ThermaCAM driver does connect, but I can't login via FTP for some reason...

Did you set your camera to RNDIS mode? If this doesn't work, you will not get the network link. Maybe it helps to unplug/plug the USB after setting RNDIS mode. I had no problems on Windows 7...

I have to say that I'm also very thankful for the work of all those people here, especially tmbinc! He found such a clever solution.... I already tried to brute force the encryption key but he changes the file without any key. How nice is that!!!

Offline Pig

« Reply #5634 on: October 24, 2014, 12:04:08 pm »
Maybe it helps to unplug/plug the USB after setting RNDIS mode. I had no problems on Windows 7...

Thanks, I did unplug/plug in USB, and restart a few times, and I managed to FTP the cam now. Cheers!

Continuing the process now....

UPDATE: okay it all seemed to work. Now with better resolution! Many thanks.
A couple of things:
- my IP address was COMPLETELY different (my fault I know).
- I think I was working with an older description as the word "apply" was missing but I see it's now added in:  "python apply.py apply 192.168.0.2"
- the files "Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif" and "Set_RNDIS_permanent.fif" are found in a zip file called "e4hack3c" (this took me a while to find!)

Again, many thanks to all who contributed...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:26:27 pm by Pig »

Offline cenkaetaya

« Reply #5635 on: October 24, 2014, 07:30:00 pm »
Hi, this may be a bit of a dumb question but..

What is the easiest way to tell the thermal resolution modification worked?

It seems like the thermal image is more detailed but this could just be a placebo effect.

Thanks

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5636 on: October 24, 2014, 09:09:16 pm »
@ cenkaetaya:
Please see here. It's also possible to view the meta-data of the image with FLIR Tools but to do so you have to install the software, download the picture from the camera and open the file in FLIR Tools. The Image Gallery is way easier. :)

Offline bpan

• Contributor
« Reply #5637 on: October 24, 2014, 09:21:28 pm »
HI, I am unclear on one step of the process, and that is where you move the apply.py. Do you move it into the folder that "python" is installed in?

Offline compet17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5638 on: October 25, 2014, 07:46:35 am »
When you run the python command followed by the apply.py filename, python will look for it in it's own directory. That means you have to put it there first. Or you enter the complete path into the command. (c:/folder/subfolder/apply.py) but I have not tried that.
Don't forget to put ALL files that belong to apply.py into the python folder.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:48:12 am by compet17 »

Offline jores

« Reply #5639 on: October 25, 2014, 08:24:58 am »
I successfully upgraded my E4 1.2L version 2.1.0 with v0.3 today`

Great job you guys!

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #5640 on: October 25, 2014, 08:57:17 am »
I've uploaded a new version, which hopefully works better. (It's attached to my original post)
That was done with v0.3
Thank you. Great work:-)

Offline compet17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5641 on: October 25, 2014, 10:07:03 am »
For those who ask about the difference of 80x60 and 320x240. I think it's clearly visible... (the stored jpg is always 320x240)

Online Svuppe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5642 on: October 25, 2014, 10:34:05 am »
Bummer. Does NOT work with E5  |O
conf.cfc is a different size.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5643 on: October 25, 2014, 11:47:05 am »
For those who ask about the difference of 80x60 and 320x240. I think it's clearly visible... (the stored jpg is always 320x240)
shallow angled sharp edges of objects, like those fan blades, are the easiest way to tell
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline comanche3

• Contributor
« Reply #5644 on: October 25, 2014, 02:07:23 pm »
i encounter a problem with a second E4 i can´t update. I activated RNDIS Mode via FIF and can log in but i can´t download common_dll.dll. Also Filezilla isn´t retrieving it.
Other Files are no problem. Do i have to shutdown anything on this cam before downloading ?
 apply.py is standing still at retr common_dll.dll

This Cam sucks. Seems the FTP of this cam is not working like others, sometimes working, sometimes not. Can´t download all files.

Anyone knows if you can reinstall firmware 2.3 on this cam ?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:10:34 pm by comanche3 »

Offline warcow

« Reply #5645 on: October 25, 2014, 06:01:16 pm »
Easy way to check if the hack works: close the lens cap and if the picture is smooth 1 color the hack worked. With the original E4 there will be a lot of noise displayed. (Many dots in different colors)

Offline comanche3

• Contributor
« Reply #5646 on: October 26, 2014, 09:32:18 am »
This Cam is making me sick ! I can only change files using Telnet, FTP isn´t working correct. If you change files via telnet don´t save backups in the flashbfs/system directory or flashfs directory - otherwise the patched files won´t work
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:46:50 am by comanche3 »

Offline sofisticated

• Contributor
« Reply #5647 on: October 26, 2014, 11:04:34 am »
This Cam is making me sick ! I can only change files using Telnet, FTP isn´t working correct and now i don´t think this is 320x, what do you think ? 320 or 80 ?

What I see is they are both 80x60 resolution and grainy. Normally your files should be more than 100 kb but they are 50 KB and 70 kb which means lower resolution.

Are you sure that you did installed Python 2.x  not 3.x version? This could be an issue.

If you are unsuccesful with ftp, your "stopapp" command from hack could be unsuccesful also and you can not overwright 2 hack files ( .dll and .cfc)

I can suggest you to test v0.3 hack with Python 2.x. If it is the same result then you could go with manually telnet command. For that manual way you can use "puttytel" from net and issue "stopapp" over it. It is waiting for a while but you should stop many progs you will see. Then use a ftp file transfer for 2 files for hack.

Offline Pig

« Reply #5648 on: October 26, 2014, 12:04:43 pm »
Hmmm...

I was playing around with the cam some more, and now there seems to be a problem. Maybe it never did get better resolution,
and I was experiencing the placebo effects that was mentioned in the thread earlier??

I am getting following error when running the python apply.py :
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'common_dll.dll.delta'

Offline comanche3

• Contributor
« Reply #5649 on: October 26, 2014, 12:07:35 pm »
Yes i allready managed to hack this E4. On this brandnew E4 you can´t download those two files, even with filezilla it isn´t working. I telnet those files to flashifs and downloaded via Windows Drive letter. After patching it on my own i did the same way back and now everyhting is working. Last error was that i kept backups of this files in their original directory.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf