Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3798718 times)

Offline comanche3

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #5650 on: October 26, 2014, 12:08:17 pm »

I am getting following error when running the python apply.py :
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'common_dll.dll.delta'

and the file is really in the same directory like apply.py ?

Offline Pig

« Reply #5651 on: October 26, 2014, 12:15:05 pm »
lol, nah, I forgot to put them in there this time. It's too early for me this morning...
All is good. Full resolution is mine!

Offline Sandrew

« Reply #5652 on: October 26, 2014, 02:31:05 pm »
Hi guys,

Flir E30 owner here. I'm sorry for the lame question, but is it possible to upgrade E30 resolution to 320x240?

Thank you in advance for your kind cooperation!

Steve

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5653 on: October 26, 2014, 03:04:30 pm »
IIRC yes it is. Somewhere back in this thread an Exx series owner upgraded the resolution. You will need to do a search in E30, E40 and E60 to find the details though.

Edit - I did a quick search for you.

Here is a message that provides links to what you need  ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg407014/#msg407014

And the required file is here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg338671/#msg338671

Aurora
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:12:48 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Sandrew

« Reply #5654 on: October 26, 2014, 03:38:13 pm »
Dear Aurora,

Thank you very much for your help!

My FW version is 1.24.16. Should I need upgrade to the latest FW or 1.24.16 is okay? Should I follow standard E4 upgrade procedure or there is E30 specific steps?

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm not very experienced, unfortunately :(

Best regards,

Steve

P.S. Strange, but when I use search function with string : E30, E40, E50, E60, I don't see the results that you posted above.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5655 on: October 26, 2014, 03:46:05 pm »
I don't know if they've added any countermeasures to the Ex0, but updating firmware is probably a bad idea
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5656 on: October 26, 2014, 03:53:39 pm »
@Sandrew,

I searched on E30 first, couldn't find the message so then searched for E40. It was E40 that threw up the required message  ;)

I agree with Mike, I would NOT update the firmware unless you are CERTAIN that it is not a counter-measured version.

Aurora

Offline Sandrew

« Reply #5657 on: October 26, 2014, 04:01:55 pm »
Thank you for your answers Mike and Aurora. I wouldn't touch firmware then :)

Here is result for my search of : E40

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5658 on: October 26, 2014, 04:17:06 pm »
[...]
P.S. Strange, but when I use search function with string : E30, E40, E50, E60, I don't see the results that you posted above.

I also tried that and couldn't come up with any results either. Not even your post was shown when I searched for E30. Don't know what is going on...

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5659 on: October 26, 2014, 04:35:28 pm »
Indeed.... the search function seems a bit iffy at the moment !

The EEVBlog site was unavailable last night for a period and search did not return when the site came back so maybe the search function is not working properly ?

Aurora

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5660 on: October 26, 2014, 05:24:50 pm »
Forum search functionality being a bit iffy is a known issue. ;) You typically get better results using google like so:

https://www.google.com/webhp?ie=UTF-8#q=E40%20site%3Awww.eevblog.com%2Fforum%2Ftestgear%2Fflir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown%2F

etc.

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5661 on: October 26, 2014, 06:10:37 pm »
Thanks to Svuppe, I was able to add support for upgrading an E5 (with 2.3.0). As usual, resolution increase+noise disable. The extra E5 features stay enabled, of course.

I've attached it to my original post (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg534297/#msg534297). As usual, let me know if there are any issues.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5662 on: October 27, 2014, 03:13:56 pm »
Loving how this thread is progressing! Some great work by some people!

I've got a range of cameras at work which I have been carefully experimenting with. Since they are active IR cameras, I have to be careful as to not invalidate their calibration, so I have only played around with copies of the files for now. If anyone would like a copy of the files, please let me know.

I have the:
E60 2012 model
E60 2014 model
B400

So far I can access all three cameras using FTP and can alter the config.d files. Interestingly, the 2014 E60 has less features than the 2012 model?! Has anyone else noticed this? As for the B400, whilst it may not have the option to increase the resolution, I believe I can turn on some more features. I haven't seen anyone mention this range of cameras (T4xx and B4xx), so if anyone else has had any success altering them, please share your results!

I also have the much older PM6xx series camera, which I've successfully managed to get working wirelessly! I'll post more on this later.

I'm starting to think this forum needs it's own thermal imaging section...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:41:27 pm by Chanc3 »

Offline Andyf80

• Contributor
« Reply #5663 on: October 28, 2014, 02:09:14 pm »
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS for Flir E4 (Firmware 2.3.0) for beginners (How I did it... and it worked)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(If somebody finds an error in this procedure, please tell me immediately and I will correct it)

- Get FlirTools from Flir website (free download) PC version recommended
- Install FlirTools on your PC
- Get the files "Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif" and "Set_RNDIS_permanent.fif" from this forum (zipped downloads somewhere in this thread)
- If you want to use the "permanent" file, you also need "remove_RNDIS_Permanent.fif"
   (Temporary.fif sets the USB of your cam to RNDIS mode UNTIL A REBOOT. Permanent does the same but it stays in RNDIS until YOU RUN   
     REMOVE.fif)
- Get E4 hack "v02.zip" for Version 2.3.0
- I assume that the installation of FlirTools does also install the camera driver. If not install it manually. Links are found in this thread
- Get PYTHON version 2.x (not version 3.x!) from the Python website and install it. This is needed to run the hack script. It's a programming language.

- Connect your E4 via USB to your PC and turn it on
- Go to "Programs(x86)/Flir systems/Flir Tools/bin and execute FLIRInstallNet.exe (this is part of the FlirTools software installed in step 2)
- Select the RNDIS_xxxxxxx.fif (permanent or temporary) and click RUN FIF button.
  (A timeout error is normal after the command has succeeded because USB is now set to RNDIS mode)
- Wait a moment and open a CMD window, then enter IPCONFIG
- An additional network connection should be listed with IP Address 192.168.0.1 and gateway 192.168.0.2
- Enter "FTP", then "open 192.168.0.2" and a connection to your cam should be established
- Login with user "flir" and password "3vlig"
- Issue a "dir" command and the files and directories of your cam are listed.
- If all that works, type "quit" to exit and close ftp connection.

- copy the hack files from the zip into the PYTHON folder.
- open CMD, go into python folder and enter "python apply.py apply 192.168.0.2"
- it will read two files from your cam and stores them in a backup folder, then it will do some magic with the files.
- you will find newly created conf.cfc and common_dll.dll in that folder and upload them back to the camera.

- In case you get an error 500 at the upload, you have to upload the files manually by FTP:

*** Only in case of error 500 ***
- Open CMD and FTP again and connect to your camera as before
- go to the indicated folders (cd /foldername/foldername/foldername)
- check the folder with "pwd" to make sure you're in the right one
- Use the lcd command to change to your local directory where the conf and common files are.
- put the files to the correct folders (put filename)

MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE RIGHT FILES INTO THE RIGHT FOLDER!!!

- Reboot your cam by removing/inserting the battery
- Be happy!!!

- It is possible that the measuring spot is off center after reboot. Turn the spot off/on in the setup menu of the cam and it should be centered.

Compet17,
You sir, are a stud.

Thank you all for creating such a great resource. I am getting my E4 today in the mail from Amazon that will likely be 2.3.0 and I will give this procedure a try.

I'll be using the camera primarily with my appliance repair business with the occasional hog hunt thrown in.

I'd be interested to know the quickest way to get images from the e4 to an iPad Air, but I'll continue to search in case this has been answered before.

Thanks guys!
Andy

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #5664 on: October 28, 2014, 03:55:26 pm »
Pulled the trigger on the E4.  Cant go wrong with the unit being $746 today at zoro

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5665 on: October 28, 2014, 04:55:28 pm »
I'd be interested to know the quickest way to get images from the e4 to an iPad Air, but I'll continue to search in case this has been answered before.

Dunno if anyone has tried it with a iPad yet but I have gotten pics off it with my Nexus 7 and RAZR HD with a USB OTG cable.

You could try a http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a but knowing Apple - who knows if they will let it work or not.

Offline ThermalGuru

• Contributor
« Reply #5666 on: October 28, 2014, 05:39:08 pm »
Pulled the trigger on the E4.  Cant go wrong with the unit being $746 today at zoro

The code is valid for today only at zoro.com, use "FUZZY" and it brings the price down to $746.25 + free shipping. Use your Discover card (sign up first for online 5% back) and your net cost should be ~$709. Add the hack and that price will be hard to beat for a 320x240 imager for some time to come I think.  :-+

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #5667 on: October 28, 2014, 05:48:39 pm »
Yeah don't forget the 2% fatcash from fatwallet in addition to the discover 5% and 25% coupon code.

Offline copineau

• Contributor
« Reply #5668 on: October 28, 2014, 07:00:21 pm »
I need help.
Where can I find the zip file "E4 hack "v02.zip" for Version 2.3.0.
Also, I'm trying to hack my E4, so far, I'm up to the point where it is mention " If all that works, type "quit" to exit and close ftp connection." Everything before has been working perfectly. No problem to communicate with my E4

But I don't know which file to copy in the Python folder, I don't even know where to find that folder, do I have to create it?
I got Python software version 2.7.8 64 bits, This is what was needed for my computer, is it ok?
If somebody could guide me to complete the hack, it would be very appreciated.
Thanks

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS for Flir E4 (Firmware 2.3.0) for beginners (How I did it... and it worked)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(If somebody finds an error in this procedure, please tell me immediately and I will correct it)

- Get the files "Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif" and "Set_RNDIS_permanent.fif" from this forum (zipped downloads somewhere in this thread)
- If you want to use the "permanent" file, you also need "remove_RNDIS_Permanent.fif"
   (Temporary.fif sets the USB of your cam to RNDIS mode UNTIL A REBOOT. Permanent does the same but it stays in RNDIS until YOU RUN   
     REMOVE.fif)
- I assume that the installation of FlirTools does also install the camera driver. If not install it manually. Links are found in this thread
- Get PYTHON version 2.x (not version 3.x!) from the Python website and install it. This is needed to run the hack script. It's a programming language.

- Go to "Programs(x86)/Flir systems/Flir Tools/bin and execute FLIRInstallNet.exe (this is part of the FlirTools software installed in step 2)
- Select the RNDIS_xxxxxxx.fif (permanent or temporary) and click RUN FIF button.
  (A timeout error is normal after the command has succeeded because USB is now set to RNDIS mode)
- An additional network connection should be listed with IP Address 192.168.0.1 and gateway 192.168.0.2
- Enter "FTP", then "open 192.168.0.2" and a connection to your cam should be established

- it will read two files from your cam and stores them in a backup folder, then it will do some magic with the files.
- you will find newly created conf.cfc and common_dll.dll in that folder and upload them back to the camera.

Offline sofisticated

• Contributor
« Reply #5669 on: October 28, 2014, 11:13:38 pm »
copineau

Python27 cluster in your pc is under c:\Python27

You don't need v0.2 hack, v0.3 is updated one.

Original post is:
Ok, whatever, here's a firstsecond version.

From the readme:

Please check if your /FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/conf.cfc is 6608
bytes.

If that's the case, that sounds good. Otherwise, this hack is not for you.

- Download+install python2 (not python3)
 - Download+extract this zip
 - Set Camera to RNDIS mode
 - run "apply.py apply <ipaddress of camera>". If it fails, please provide
   the output for diagnostics.
 - Hard-Reset the camera

Let me know if anyone has problems using this.

EDIT: If you get "550 File unavailable", please just re-run the script. I'll work on a better fix. If retrying doesn't work, let me know.
EDIT: tried to fix the "550" issue with more retries. Seems killing the app sometimes keeps the DLLs busy for "a while" (for whatever definition of that). Let's hope this helps.

IF YOU STILL HAVE ISSUES WITH "550" with v0.3, let me know. You can always resort to manually uploading the binaries if you want - they are preserved if upload fails.

EDIT2: Added v0.4.zip with support for the E5.

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #5670 on: October 28, 2014, 11:26:46 pm »
Isn't v0.4 the latest version?  Why not use that?

I need help.
Where can I find the zip file "E4 hack "v02.zip" for Version 2.3.0.
Also, I'm trying to hack my E4, so far, I'm up to the point where it is mention " If all that works, type "quit" to exit and close ftp connection." Everything before has been working perfectly. No problem to communicate with my E4

But I don't know which file to copy in the Python folder, I don't even know where to find that folder, do I have to create it?
I got Python software version 2.7.8 64 bits, This is what was needed for my computer, is it ok?
If somebody could guide me to complete the hack, it would be very appreciated.
Thanks

REMOVE.fif)

Offline copineau

• Contributor
« Reply #5671 on: October 29, 2014, 01:12:31 am »
sofisticated
Thanks for the info, I now have v0.3
What I need to know now, is where do I copy the two files "common dll and conf.cfc delta" Do I have to create a new folder in Python27?
If so, how do I get to this python folder?
When I open phyton.exe, there is a command window that open, from there, I've no idea how to get to my folder, I don't know the command to do it. In reality, I don't know much about computer, this is why I'm stuck there.
I started to read how the Python software works, there is a lot of reading to do.
Some guidance would be appreciated! :palm:

Offline Andyf80

• Contributor
« Reply #5672 on: October 29, 2014, 05:02:26 am »
Hey Copin,
I got stuck at the same spot but powered through.
I'm not very savvy with Python either, but it was something to the effect of:
"Cd c:/python27"
That should get you to the correct directory assuming your file is named Python27.

I got my 2.3.0 hacked, but am having trouble getting FlirTools to recognize my camera as being plugged in. It won't allow me to import anything.
"No Source was found.  Please connect a camera or sd and click reload."

Any tips?

Thanks very much.

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5673 on: October 29, 2014, 09:02:17 am »
You may have to re-enable "UVC and MSD" mode in the Settings>USB Menu

In fact I highly recommend exiting RNDIS mode and entering "UVC and MSD" after a successful hack as it should make it harder for any Flir stealth firmware "upgrades".

Offline copineau

• Contributor
« Reply #5674 on: October 29, 2014, 12:24:31 pm »
@andif80
Thanks for your help!
The problem I have now is syntax error when I do the "apply"

If you can tell me what I'm doing wrong ( or anybody) it would be appreciated.
And then, let me know how to upload the files back to the camera, is there a special command for this?
Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf