Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3791886 times)

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #5725 on: November 01, 2014, 11:31:31 am »
Quote from: bpan on October 30, 2014, 02:20:04 PM
Out of curiosity, is anybody working on the menu hack at the current moment?

I'm not sure if this is relevant for a "native" 2.3.0 camera but I've succeeded in an implementation of at least most of the add-ons of the 1.19.8 mods on a camera that has been "updated" to 2.3.0 (...my fault...), i.e. with the cfg files not encrypted. Since the menu-related stuff isn't encrypted anyway, the upgrade may as well work on a native 2.3.0 installation. Anyway, I recommend experimenting with this only for those who know what they are doing. And please always backup your original files before overwriting anything.

Cheers,
Thomas

Sorry - Attachment removed since it wouldn't run on a "true" 2.3.0 version, see contributions below.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:20:08 am by TurboTom »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5726 on: November 01, 2014, 08:15:45 pm »
Got E4 today, and this is 2-3 hours in my hands. And of course I tried that Menu Upgrade.... and ended with black screen. And nothing connects after reboot with E4. No ThermaCAM Connect 3 and no FTP - wrong password. Somewhere in FLIRInstallNet window I saw CRC error after pressing all buttons, maybe "Check Installation".
Reflashed firmware 2.3.0 - now lets try something more.

Offline comanche3

• Contributor
« Reply #5727 on: November 01, 2014, 10:51:54 pm »
How is it possible to reflash 2.3.0 ??

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5728 on: November 01, 2014, 10:57:27 pm »
I'm not sure if this is relevant for a "native" 2.3.0 camera but I've succeeded in an implementation of at least most of the add-ons of the 1.19.8 mods on a camera that has been "updated" to 2.3.0 (...my fault...), i.e. with the cfg files not encrypted. Since the menu-related stuff isn't encrypted anyway, the upgrade may as well work on a native 2.3.0 installation
How did you update? Replacing files?

A real 2.3.0 has a signed applaunch.dat which includes hashes for the UI data, so if you change the original files, the app will not lot automatically anymore.

(That said, there's a relatively easy way to swap out those files, but I'd rather stay away from a menu hack. I'd rather prefer if we could come up with an alternative UI, using the existing drivers, or even full firmware replacement (linux? bare metal?) that's rewritten from scratch and doesn't have artificial limitations, and a plug-in API for measurement functions.)

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5729 on: November 02, 2014, 07:26:41 am »
How is it possible to reflash 2.3.0 ??
Download update from homepage and browse it to FLIRInstallNet.exe and "Run FIF"
But something strange was with resolution hack, it did not run. It patch dll, but Config.cfc was already hacked -
it did backup where was original dll and cracked cfc. But when I looked into E4, that moment was there original cfc.
I uploaded patched from that backup directory.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5730 on: November 02, 2014, 08:09:06 am »
A real 2.3.0 has a signed applaunch.dat which includes hashes for the UI data, so if you change the original files, the app will not lot automatically anymore.
Yes... if I replace only one file toolbar-config_z3.xml, camera is dead... black screen and it locks connections to it - wrong password.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5731 on: November 02, 2014, 09:13:55 am »
Yes on the "updated" 1.19.8, replacing the files did the trick. But then, the CFG files aren't encrypted either. The applaunch.dat file is present after the "update" but apparently it doesn't do anything. At least, it doesn't affect running the modified XML scripts. So I guess I'll better remove the file to prevent others from getting in touble... Thanks for pointing this out!

Cheers,
Thomas

Offline nissepisse

« Reply #5732 on: November 02, 2014, 10:20:47 am »
Hi!

I have been reading this thread a lot in the lately, a bunch of pages in the beginning and a lot of pages in the "half way" and most of all the pages from post #5633 to where we are now.

So if i understand correctly we now are able to get high resolution on version 2.3 but no other extra features seems to be solved for a manufactured v2.3, and the problem is that Flir now has an encrypted config (?) file.

Is this encrypted file possible to get my hands on without a camera (i will have an camera next week and it will probably have v2.3) but it would be interesting to have a look att the encrypted file before the TIC arrives.

Best regards
N

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #5733 on: November 02, 2014, 12:32:55 pm »
Yeah this entire thread is out of control. There needs to be separate sections for the different software versions.

Hi!

I have been reading this thread a lot in the lately, a bunch of pages in the beginning and a lot of pages in the "half way" and most of all the pages from post #5633 to where we are now.

So if i understand correctly we now are able to get high resolution on version 2.3 but no other extra features seems to be solved for a manufactured v2.3, and the problem is that Flir now has an encrypted config (?) file.

Is this encrypted file possible to get my hands on without a camera (i will have an camera next week and it will probably have v2.3) but it would be interesting to have a look att the encrypted file before the TIC arrives.

Best regards
N

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5734 on: November 02, 2014, 01:36:40 pm »
There is another E4 thread for newbies as an aid to prevent this one getting too confusing and also as a quicker way to get help. Suggest those with upgrade questions use that thread ?

Full details in Mike's fist Post ...here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg309194/#msg309194

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:39:26 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5735 on: November 02, 2014, 04:55:23 pm »
The applaunch.dat file is present after the "update" but apparently it doesn't do anything. At least, it doesn't affect running the modified XML scripts.
´
There is  one sgn file - applaunch.sgn and inside applaunch.dat is some files lenght and crc. Like that -
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\ui.d\toolbar-config_Z3.xml 1263 2286214514
somewhere something checking them.

Offline Tom9999

• Contributor
« Reply #5736 on: November 02, 2014, 05:18:34 pm »
Hi!

Best regards
N

I was trying to get help too with f/w 2.1.0 but not sure 2.3.0 hacked work on 2.1.0 or I need to upgrade to 2.3.0.
Thank all

Offline nissepisse

« Reply #5737 on: November 02, 2014, 06:03:55 pm »
Tom9999, have yout checked if your /FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/conf.cfc is 6608
bytes?

According to Readme in v0.4 for the 2.3Hack:
Please check if your /FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/conf.cfc is 6608
bytes (or 6336 for the E5).

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5738 on: November 03, 2014, 05:58:50 pm »
The applaunch.dat file is present after the "update" but apparently it doesn't do anything. At least, it doesn't affect running the modified XML scripts.
´
There is  one sgn file - applaunch.sgn and inside applaunch.dat is some files lenght and crc. Like that -
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\ui.d\toolbar-config_Z3.xml 1263 2286214514
somewhere something checking them.
After thinking all night I tried hack this menu. All files are in E4 anyway from first copy, only those
facet_z3.rcc and toolbar-config_z3.xml do not let him boot... here I found weak point. I replaced
files after boot but before he reads them. And I saw this enhanged menu but all not working and
camera crashed. After that things gone very bad. I lost MSX and measure spot and other stuff.
Make all working again was bit difficult...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:11:46 pm by janekivi »

Offline mannebanne

« Reply #5739 on: November 04, 2014, 12:53:13 am »
Hi everyone

I created a step-by-step guide with pictures how to permanently upgrade i3 & i5 to i7 specs & how to add the extra measurements menu.

Link: http://www.filedropper.com/howtoupgradeyourfliri3ori5toi7specsextramenu_1

Cheers
Erik

Dear all,
It seems that the above filedropper link is dead. Could somebody please resend the guide or update the link?
Wishes Manne

Offline Andyf80

• Contributor
« Reply #5740 on: November 04, 2014, 01:24:45 am »
How to: Transfer images from a hacked 2.3 E4 to an IPad Air (iOS 8.1) via usb

Initially I purchased one of these:

Upon hooking up the Flir it gave me an error of:
"Cannot use device: the device uses too much power captain" (using your best Scottish accent)

At this point, figured there was not a way.
Then, I found this video which explains how you can use a non-powered usb hub in-between the adapter & camera cord to bypass the error.
Video: http://youtu.be/J-I-nnocYtU

For my usb hub I bought one of these cheesy things at Walmart for $6.

For me it worked well except ONLY the thermal images transfer over vs the original & thermal.

Anyone know if that is a settings issue?

In order to have the original photo transfer on to your ipad with the thermal, you must select on your camera:
Main menu
Save options
Photo as a separate JPEG > on

Perform a Reboot

This will allow you to import the photos from your camera roll to Flir Tools for Ipad and edit, notate and email from the ipad.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:36:32 am by Andyf80 »

Offline Northdynamic

« Reply #5741 on: November 04, 2014, 02:35:34 am »
Thanks to everyone for all the work. I've just ran the resolution hack on my new v2.3 E4 following the instructions at:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg535619/#msg535619

It was successful on writing the files on attempt 4 and I did a reboot removing the battery but the resolution is still the same with a lot of noise as well. I tried both v03 and v04.zip but it just tells me the files have already been modified.

"Please check if your /FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/conf.cfc is 6608
bytes."

conf.cfc on my camera is 6608 bytes.

Any ideas?

Edit:

I deleted via FTP and re-ran apply.py and rebooted again. Now resolution seems much better!!!!

I can't thank everyone here enough for all the good work. Hopefully a successful menu hack and special edition will be possible for v 2.3.

My camera is brand new shipped with v 2.3 and the banner above the screen is a blue E4 instead of white.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:18:40 pm by Northdynamic »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5742 on: November 04, 2014, 07:19:56 am »
You deleted what, can you be more specific?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #5743 on: November 04, 2014, 11:28:53 am »
Wow zoro tools has 30% off today on the E4.  5% more if you use discover.  I only got 25% last week...

code: SaveBig

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5744 on: November 04, 2014, 12:30:54 pm »
Wow zoro tools has 30% off today on the E4.  5% more if you use discover.  I only got 25% last week...

code: SaveBig

Code has expired :(

Offline sky@eevblog

• Contributor
« Reply #5745 on: November 04, 2014, 01:19:06 pm »
@zoro - check date and time

*30% off your order—maximum savings of $2,000. Enter SAVEBIG at checkout. Limit one (1) use per customer. May not be combined with any other promotions or discounts. No minimum required. Offer may not be applied to previous purchases. Offer valid Tuesday, November 4, 2014 from 11am to 2pm CT.

Offline Northdynamic

« Reply #5746 on: November 04, 2014, 02:21:51 pm »
You deleted what, can you be more specific?

Actually replaced the common_dll.dll and conf.cfc with the originals on the E4 via ftp, deleted the common_dll.dll from the Python27 folder and tried the process over again. I don't know why it didn't work the first time even though there were no errors and everything said it worked.

Both times writing the files to the E4 succeeded on attempt 4.

Offline nissepisse

« Reply #5747 on: November 04, 2014, 05:59:53 pm »
When I received my new Flir yesterday I had ha happy time after start-up when looking up the sw version.

After been reading this thread back and forth i was sure that i would get an V2.x but i did actually get an V1.22  :-+ ;D :D 

So after 5 mins i had a updated TC :)

Model:E4 1.1L
SN:639221***

EDIT:Spelling

Offline Tom9999

• Contributor
« Reply #5748 on: November 04, 2014, 06:07:30 pm »
When I received my new Flir yesterday I had ha happy time after start-up when looking up the sw version.

After been reading this thread back and forth i was sure that i would get an V2.x but i did actually get an V1.22  :-+ ;D :D 

So after 5 mins i had a updated TC :)

Model:E4 1.1L
SN:639221***

EDIT:Spelling

nice to get old E4.

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5749 on: November 04, 2014, 06:39:56 pm »
@ nissepisse: May I ask where you ordered your TIC? That dealer must have an unbelievable old supply chain.
But have fun with your new E4+ ! :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf