Author Topic: Fluke 87V (2017) lacking quality control?  (Read 68265 times)

Offline OsirisonTopic starter

• Contributor
Fluke 87V (2017) lacking quality control?
« on: June 09, 2017, 05:37:53 pm »
This week I got my first Fluke multimeter, most of the time I use my Metrahit Extra from work which is great but wanted a solid multimeter for myself at home as well.
I was considering the Metrahit Xtra (not Extra but xtra  8) those wacky Germans) or the Fluke 87V and because of the update rate at 4 times/sec on the Fluke and the Metrahit always seem to settle after the first reading and it updates only twice a second so in fact it gives the correct reading after 1 second. So I bought a Fluke 87V.
Unpacking the Fluke I noticed the quality and finish of the meter was not like the Metrahit meters but its still good, then switched it on and noticed at the ohms range the meter did cause trouble most of the time, I've also seen readings of -7 Ohm when shorting the leads.  |O
This should have been noticed by the quality control.
I have contacted Fluke and they confirmed the device to be broken and I should contact my dealer (Reichelt Germany) about this which has not replied to my email yet.  :-[

Made a short video of the flaw in the Fluke meter.

For me this is for sure a bad start with Fluke and now I am thinking that I should have bought the Metrahit xtra, maybe I can ask Reichelt to return the broke Fluke and change it to the Metrahit xtra, this would cost me an extra 50 euro.

Have anyone else been experiencing bad quality meters lately from Fluke? and would you buy a 87V again or go with the Metrahit xtra?

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline jordanp123

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke 87V (2017) lacking quality control?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 05:42:04 pm »
We got a batch of 87V's in at work about a month ago, (around 30 of them) not had any issues. I would just return it and get a replacement, unless you just want the xtra.

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 06:17:46 pm »
Send it back, quick.

As for the quality, maybe they are made in China with no quality control there.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:19:44 pm by sotos »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 06:20:27 pm »
It's just bad luck. Take the replacement.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 06:50:26 pm »
Thank you all for your comments!   :)

Send it back, quick.

This is what I thought when I got the Fluke out of the box, also on the meter is not shown where it is made.
If it was made in the USA they would definitely print it on the back of the meter too.
And the invoice of Reichelt noted the country of origin to be China.

One other reason to go for the German made Metrahit I guess.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 07:19:44 pm »

Have you been following this thread?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hear-kitty-kitty-kitty-nope-not-that-kind-of-cat/msg1207306/#msg1207306

The "German made Metrahit" has quite a few problems even when it's working as designed.  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:23:14 pm by Fungus »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 09:03:02 pm »
That's interesting news.   The US Fluke 87V had said Assembled or Made in USA for some years on the back, and yes, there is a variant that is nearly identical the 87V C, but made in China.  Unless this has all changed.  The US versions had this near the battery case:

Thank you all for your comments!   :)

Send it back, quick.

This is what I thought when I got the Fluke out of the box, also on the meter is not shown where it is made.
If it was made in the USA they would definitely print it on the back of the meter too.
And the invoice of Reichelt noted the country of origin to be China.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 09:04:17 pm »
Does it say "Made in USA" still in the back as in the prior photo?

We got a batch of 87V's in at work about a month ago, (around 30 of them) not had any issues. I would just return it and get a replacement, unless you just want the xtra.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 09:36:46 pm »
Mine which dates from 2015 (but I've only just bought) has "Made in USA" on the bumper but not on the instrument itself. Does this mean it is made in China?
It is a bit disingenuous because it has Fluke USA on it but doesn't actually say it is made in the USA. See attached photos.

[EDIT]
Looking at the cardboard box it came in, it says country of origin US and that it is made in the US with imported parts, what ever that means. See added photos.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:48:14 pm by jpb »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline jordanp123

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 09:50:10 pm »

I'll look Monday and see, I'm not sure.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 11:35:02 pm »
On mine which is serial number 8941xxxx

Back of meter body reads Fluke Corporation MADE IN USA

------------------

The yellow holster reads MADE IN USA Patent Pending

------------------

Take it back and if the next one has ANY issues, get a refund

and buy a used older 87V instead,

that's what I did, it works great  :-+    and no GSM BS afaict 

Who knows WHERE and by WHO they are made.  :-//

It's NOT GOOD ENOUGH to be paying FLUKE -MADE IN USA- PRICES in 2017,   >:(

and getting  -Made In Too Hung Lo Factory-  quality    :-[

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 11:37:15 pm »
Get HIOKI DT4282 just seen one and it lovely meter.

Offline PowerNet

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 04:29:15 am »
Hey Osirison,

what is the manufacture month and year of your meter and what is the serial number starting with ?

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 04:49:17 am »
This week I got my first Fluke multimeter, most of the time I use my Metrahit Extra from work which is great but wanted a solid multimeter for myself at home as well.
I was considering the Metrahit Xtra (not Extra but xtra  8) those wacky Germans) or the Fluke 87V and because of the update rate at 4 times/sec on the Fluke and the Metrahit always seem to settle after the first reading and it updates only twice a second so in fact it gives the correct reading after 1 second. So I bought a Fluke 87V.
Unpacking the Fluke I noticed the quality and finish of the meter was not like the Metrahit meters but its still good, then switched it on and noticed at the ohms range the meter did cause trouble most of the time, I've also seen readings of -7 Ohm when shorting the leads.  |O
This should have been noticed by the quality control.
I have contacted Fluke and they confirmed the device to be broken and I should contact my dealer (Reichelt Germany) about this which has not replied to my email yet.  :-[

Made a short video of the flaw in the Fluke meter.

For me this is for sure a bad start with Fluke and now I am thinking that I should have bought the Metrahit xtra, maybe I can ask Reichelt to return the broke Fluke and change it to the Metrahit xtra, this would cost me an extra 50 euro.

Have anyone else been experiencing bad quality meters lately from Fluke? and would you buy a 87V again or go with the Metrahit xtra?

Go with the Metrahit. FF

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 05:43:23 am »
Mine which dates from 2015 (but I've only just bought) has "Made in USA" on the bumper but not on the instrument itself. Does this mean it is made in China?

My 87V is an a few years old now made in the USA. My 117 is made in China. The quality of the 117 is every bit as good as the 87V and far better than my original 87 I've had for a couple of decades.

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 06:38:54 am »
Don t wait for a response . Just send it back to Reichelt . They will send you a new one or give you the money back . You can choose on the return delivery slip

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 08:30:18 am »
Hey Osirison,

what is the manufacture month and year of your meter and what is the serial number starting with ?

The meter is manufactured in May 2017

Serial number is 38710078

The following users thanked this post: saturation

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 08:31:13 am »
I guess I will save up for a Gossen and see how German made quality is, compared with KS and Fluke.

Start here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hear-kitty-kitty-kitty-nope-not-that-kind-of-cat/msg1207306/#msg1207306

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 08:34:31 am »
My 87V is an a few years old now made in the USA. My 117 is made in China. The quality of the 117 is every bit as good as the 87V and far better than my original 87 I've had for a couple of decades.

Yep. The Chinese can make stuff as well as anybody. If you're willing to pay for it.

Fluke may try to reduce their manufacturing costs by building in China but they aren't going to sell something substandard.

maybe they are made in China with no quality control.

Yeah, Fluke would totally throw away their reputation by doing that.  :palm:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:45:29 am by Fungus »

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 09:06:11 am »
I guess I will save up for a Gossen and see how German made quality is, compared with KS and Fluke.

Start here:

First off, it's "here kitty..." not "hear..."
Second don't believe any of that BS propaganda...

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 09:38:39 am »
I nearly went for a Gossen - TestTools in the UK sell them new, but also sell off some of their new-old stock at a decent discount if they've not managed to shift them and the calibration is getting out-of-date:
http://www.testtoolsshop.com/when-theyve-gone-theyve-gone
But in the end I went for the 87V because it was much cheaper "new" off e-bay, £190 vs £300 for the Gossen Metrahit Xtra though the latter would have a years warranty.

If I was buying new the Gossen is attractive but the other thing that put me off them was the fact that they can lose their calibration when a firmware update is done and it is expensive to get them re-calibrated. I think this is the case, there was a thread on here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/problems-with-gossen-metrahit-energy-meters/
It is an old thread so things may have changed but it did put me off a bit.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 09:41:18 am »

Is that the same "BS propaganda" that  Gossen is currently using to update their meter design?

I only pointed it out because I wouldn't like to spend $800 on a meter and then stumble across that thread. I think I'd like to see that thread before purchasing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:37:16 am by Fungus »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 12:47:58 pm »

Is that the same "BS propaganda" that  Gossen is currently using to update their meter design?

I only pointed it out because I wouldn't like to spend $800 on a meter and then stumble across that thread. I think I'd like to see that thread before purchasing.

Gossen has written me about doing a risk assessment for the potential safety problem I brought up with the relay effecting the AC line measurement and are looking into my other concerns.  Surely you realize P90 is just trolling and has been for some time.  If anyone feels what I am presenting is misleading, they are certainly welcome to repeat the test and show where I am wrong.  Rather than just calling what I post "BS propaganda", post something of substance.   

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 12:52:32 pm »
Surely you realize P90 is just trolling and has been for some time. 

Yes, but the person who started this thread might not.

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2017, 02:56:28 pm »
Don t wait for a response . Just send it back to Reichelt . They will send you a new one or give you the money back . You can choose on the return delivery slip

Hey WackyGerman  8)

They did not provide a return slib, maybe only for orders within Germany but I did fill in the online return form for international customers.
Maybe they respond faster on the form than by email.

Surely you realize P90 is just trolling and has been for some time. 

Yes, but the person who started this thread might not.

Certainly not trolling, any input is welcome of course!

I still feel not happy with the Fluke, they really seem to have gone the Chinese road but still charge USA made prices.
Maybe I am just unlucky or maybe more bad Flukes are on the way.  :-DMM

Its very hard to choose between Fluke or Gossen, they both have their flaws.
Right now I am looking into the Metrahit Ultra and was hoping to find more about the findings of Joeqsmith, anyone else that could reproduce the RF disturbance flaw with another meter.
And is this just the Ultra or are also the Xtra and Extra affected by this.

If Gossen would have solved this in their new production then I am sold.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf