Author Topic: Fluke 88V  (Read 1560 times)

Offline limeTopic starter

Fluke 88V
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:39:57 am »
Hi, I'm new to this forum, thanks for welcoming me.

I have a concern I'd liked answered. Who else has a Fluke 88V?

Today I've taken mine apart to check it out and make sure nothing is damaged and so forth, get it cleaned out. For some reason, i have a slight tint of yellow on the front housing of the meter due to heat i believe because when i checked out the inside where the actual meter part is housed, no yellow tint. It looks like no solution to that, i was just wondering if anyone has this problem.

Also, I checked the 9v battery wiring, red and black wires and the red is showing some of the copper, just barely because of how Fluke engineers their housings, the bottom and top case housing (NOT the yellow rubber) literally is supposed to sandwich the actual meter itself, and theres a small slit where the battery wiring is supposed to go through. Well, it literally just chomped on 20-35% of the wiring and i'm ticked they didn't just put a hole there rather than just a extremely small hole, slit goes up and down only. They made sure the wiring would not move, its also sandwiched between the two housings. One false move and you could end up cutting it off and having to resolder. What a pain, the hole has enough room for 1 wire on top of each other.

Is it smart to leave the 9v battery in the meters for long periods of time without using it? I keep taking mine out when i don't use it but i believe wear and tear will destroy my meter if i keep deliberately doing this. I don't know whether the off to any setting on the meters actually are a actual switch, you get that switch feel from the backing of the front housing. Only reason i worry is because if the battery were to leak it could get in and destroy my meter. I've had this happen from 2 double A's causing corrosion on a temperature monitor at home, i do not own it but its leaked couple times i replaced it and i remember being told to take out batterys from drills/impact guns or drivers so if it does leak or so on atleast it won't damage your tools.

Any advice or suggestion is welcome. :) You're free to chime in. :-DMM
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:42:40 am by lime »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 88V
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:57:18 am »
Is it smart to leave the 9v battery in the meters for long periods of time without using it?

Yes.

Decent 9V batteries really don't leak compared to the garbage that passes for AAs these days. They're actually make of six AAAAs inside a metal case so any leakage tends to stay inside.

Even if it does leak the battery compartment is isolated from the meter. There's none of the custom spring assemblies that you get with AA battery compartments and replacing a 9V battery clip is easy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:39:18 am by Fungus »

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 04:39:55 am »
Is it smart to leave the 9v battery in the meters for long periods of time without using it?

Yes.

Decent 9V batteries really don't leak compared to the garbage that passes for AAs these days. They're actually make of six AAAAs inside a metal case so leakage tends to stay inside.

Even if it does then the battery compartment is isolated from the meter and there's none of the custom spring assemblies that you get with AA battery compartments. Replacing a 9V battery clip is easy.

Oh okay, I'm using a duracell procell 9v.

The thing about replacing the battery clip will be to resolder that. Ahh, ok, i mean might as well go for it.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 05:30:23 am »
The thing about replacing the battery clip will be to resolder that. Ahh, ok, i mean might as well go for it.

A clip which fits loosely or a broken cable due to many insertions/removals is also bad.  :popcorn:

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 06:16:56 am »
Yep, was thinking if i keep taking that battery out. I'm going to yank the battery connector off. Thanks :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf