Author Topic: Fluke T130 - probe extensions not working In socket (schuko-e)?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline onesixrightTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fluke T130 - probe extensions not working In socket (schuko-e)?
« on: September 22, 2018, 11:18:17 pm »
Hi,

I got a Fluke T130. Great tool for quick checking voltages.

Now it comes with metal 4mm probe extensions that you can screw on the tip. I assume so you can easily stick them in a socket to check voltage.

Now, for me (maybe it’s the  face plate) these are locked, and only open if the plug has these round pins. Apparently the Fkuke tips are not round enough, so testing a socket is a no go. You need to take off the face plate  :wtf:.  BTW I’m in Czech Republic, using a central pin in the socket (ground), I think it’s called Schuko-E.

Anyone else experienced this? I was looking for a different tip but can’t find them. Is it just unlucky a face plate I have, or something else going on?

Thanks.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:57:53 pm by onesixright »

Offline TassiloH

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke T130 - probe extensions not working RCD (schuko-e)?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 11:28:50 pm »
An RCD ("Residual Current Device", or GFI - ground fault interrupter on the other side of the atlantic ocean) is a device in the breaker panel or sometimes integrated into an outlet.
On the other side you seem to be talking about child proof wall outlets - receptacles - in general. Try poking both measurement leads into the two holes simultaneously - the Schuko childproof shutters typically open when something is pushed into both holes at the same time. Don't kill yourself in the process.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 11:47:49 pm »
An RCD ("Residual Current Device", or GFI - ground fault interrupter on the other side of the atlantic ocean) is a device in the breaker panel or sometimes integrated into an outlet.
On the other side you seem to be talking about child proof wall outlets - receptacles - in general. Try poking both measurement leads into the two holes simultaneously - the Schuko childproof shutters typically open when something is pushed into both holes at the same time. Don't kill yourself in the process.

Sorry for the confusing, although living in CZ in Holland we say WCD (which is the wall socket). I updated the question.

I tried with both but it really doesn’t open. I took the face plate off, to see how it actually works. But only thing I see is the the pins of a normal plug are much rounder. The tips of the fluke are actually flat and open, so the sharp tip is sticking 0,5mm out.  On my extensions cord (has also the child protection) it kind of works, but I need to put a lot more pressure then when using a normal plug, to the point you think something will break :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:49:26 pm by onesixright »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 11:57:19 pm »
Well with a bit of force and wiggling them around they (finally) get in  :-/O :-/O

But to say it goes smooth (like a normal plug), hell no.

Maybe some shitty face plates  |O

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke T130 - probe extensions not working In socket (schuko-e)?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 08:56:42 am »
Yep, its all in the technique.

I use the Fluke T110 and assuming that the probe tip setup is the same, if you look closely at the tips, you can see that the prongs stick out through them so you still have a little point instead of a round surface like the pins on a Schuko connector.

If you press to hard those points dig into the shutters and make it harder for them to move.

If I leave my T110 probes hooked together, as in the picture, they are the correct width apart to match the Schuko connector. I actually find that with light pressure and twisting, as though you are tightening and un-tightening a bolt, you can push the tester into the socket without too much issue.

I am curious, if your 4mm adapters on your tester are actually 4mm? Mine are slightly bigger than standard 4mm and do not always go into a 4mm test socket.

Kind regards

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 12:32:22 pm »
If I leave my T110 probes hooked together, as in the picture, they are the correct width apart to match the Schuko connector. I actually find that with light pressure and twisting, as though you are tightening and un-tightening a bolt, you can push the tester into the socket without too much issue.

I am curious, if your 4mm adapters on your tester are actually 4mm? Mine are slightly bigger than standard 4mm and do not always go into a 4mm test socket.

Hi 3p,

I noticed that they stick-out a tiny bit (see pictures), and that sharp point is not truly help-full. I also tried unscrewing not fully, but its then to loose IMO.

I also use the probes "interconnected".

My fluke pins are 4.2mm, the normal socket pins are 4.8mm.

I took some pins out of a normal plug, and pushed them on. Now it works much better. But does not feel safe (and if you push to far they tend to stick in). I assume that the way the vendor made the "child-lock" has something to do with it as-well.

But it would be nice if Fluke would made some other probe versions that you can simply screw on and are good match (4.8mm) for the Schuko socket. I mean thats (among other things) where its for? To me this feels like a fail  :-\

I made a video, but not a clue where to upload it (its to big).

Cheers.

BTW, did you manage to disable to beep? I tried the 2 sec light button (in the manual), but nothing happens  ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:36:43 pm by onesixright »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 01:10:32 pm »
// update

It happend I had some very old telephone plugs laying around. I don't think they use these any more nowadays :-DD

Anyway, they are a perfect fit as tips on the Fluke. Even the thread fits, fits like a glove! I pried them out with a bit of heat.

They are nice round so they can open the 'child-lock' easily. No more problems checking the sockets!  :-+
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:22:48 pm by onesixright »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 02:47:48 pm »
Anyone else experienced this? I was looking for a different tip but can’t find them. Is it just unlucky a face plate I have, or something else going on?

You can use normal probes, the trick is usually that you have to push both probes in simultaneously.

The face plates are designed so that just pushing on one hole won't open it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:34:27 pm »

You can use normal probes, the trick is usually that you have to push both probes in simultaneously.

The face plates are designed so that just pushing on one hole won't open it.

You can't change the probes itself on the T130.

The problem is, and that might be local, that the face-plates are designed in such a way they slide only up (easily) if the probes are rounded. The Fluke's are not, the extensions are actually flat, with a little hole, and the point of the probe is very sharp and protrudes ½ mm. Therefor it just get stuck in the face plate, no matter how hard you push. For it to open, it needs to be rounded. Well, as I said at-least for the sockets I have.  I also tried it on a extension cord, had same problem.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 03:44:35 pm »
The face plates are angled/sloping. If you angle the probes in the same direction they'll go in just fine.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 03:48:00 pm by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 04:12:00 pm »
The face plates are angled/sloping. If you angle the probes in the same direction they'll go in just fine.

Thanks. But thats a hit and miss. Checking a few dozen is cumbersome.

As I said before, it probably has to do a lot the way the vendor made it.  Mine are definitely not “easy”.

Sent from my X using Tapatalk

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 07:08:41 pm »
If you have that many to test, would you not be better off getting hold of or making up an adapter lead? Even an adapter such as the one below that would plug safely into the socket and then you could use the meter without the probe adapters to make the measurement.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 07:30:55 pm »
Thanks. But thats a hit and miss. Checking a few dozen is cumbersome.

If you have to check dozens then get a schuko-plug mains cable and attach some banana plugs to the other end. Connect the bananas to your meter then plug it in.

Even better, get a dedicated plug tester.

(or similar)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:35:49 pm by Fungus »

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 09:30:42 pm »
The adapter leads with the plug at one end and 4mm safety jack plugs at the other are great for use with hand held multi-meters, but unfortunately are not much use with the voltage probes we are using, as they do not have 4mm sockets, just permanently attached test probes.

As long as you do not want to know the specific voltage, then I agree that the dedicated socket testers are by far the simplest and safest test methodology out there. Available for various common types of outlet, or by the one that matches the socket you test the most and then make up adapters to suit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf