Author Topic: Fluke TP175 (E) not so hot? Anyone else own these?  (Read 4472 times)

Offline dosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fluke TP175 (E) not so hot? Anyone else own these?
« on: August 11, 2017, 06:05:50 am »
I just got a set of Fluke TP175E probes to use with my Fluke 45 bench meter from what I believe is an authorized distributor (Test Equipment Depot), they appear and feel genuine. These are the modular version of the TL175 twistguard probes, and I'm using them with shrouded banana cables from Franky's ebay store (99centhobbies). I'm noticing they perform really poorly in continuity tests, very much like the really bad probes that come with Chinese DMMs, and the measured resistance when shorted together is all over the place, sometimes I get crazy figures like 20-45 ohms (see pics). It settles down to the milliohm range when held together for a few seconds but never as low as my el-cheapo Tenma probes (actually made by "Chi Shing"). I cleaned them very well with isopropyl alcohol to no effect. I've made a video comparing the two:

Just wondering if anyone else has these and can confirm this behavior? I notice that unlike the normal TL175s with permanently attached leads, these have a kind of matte finish on the tips rather than the normal polish you see on most probes. Could that be the cause? Is there a purpose to the matte finish?

I have to say other than this weird low-end Chinese feeling continuity/resistance (it's seriously exactly like the horrible probes that came with my UT61E) I really like everything else about these. If this is just a flawed set I'll definitely try to exchange it rather than return it, and even if it's the normal behavior I may keep them anyway because I like them so much.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:12:58 am by dos »

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke TP175 (E) not so hot? Anyone else own these?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 12:21:04 am »
FWIW, when any of my cheap or big dollars leads are not performing, I clean sockets, plugs and tips, 

ensure correct 'tension and contact' in the sockets,

and check that plastic shrouds are not causing a problem 

Some leads and meters just will not mate well for some or all the reasons above  :horse:  \$\Omega\$ :horse:  |O   :--

If that fails, as a final resort I check for breaks and any intermittent problems SAFELY with an insulation/megger/megohm tester,
just in case the lead is landfill bound.. or used to tie up something. 

Whether leads are cheap and nasty, or expensive and flexible, at the end of the day they are simply wires and connectors,

and any type can suffer the same issues, regardless of the brand rep or price point

Offline dosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 09:49:20 am »
FWIW, when any of my cheap or big dollars leads are not performing, I clean sockets, plugs and tips, 

ensure correct 'tension and contact' in the sockets,

and check that plastic shrouds are not causing a problem 

Some leads and meters just will not mate well for some or all the reasons above  :horse:  \$\Omega\$ :horse:  |O   :--

If that fails, as a final resort I check for breaks and any intermittent problems SAFELY with an insulation/megger/megohm tester,
just in case the lead is landfill bound.. or used to tie up something. 

Whether leads are cheap and nasty, or expensive and flexible, at the end of the day they are simply wires and connectors,

and any type can suffer the same issues, regardless of the brand rep or price point

For sure, and I do clean my sockets and make sure everything's contacting correctly. I've isolated the problem to the TP175s, I get the same behavior with many cables and on different meters.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 04:18:37 pm »
I just got a set of Fluke TP175E probes to use with my Fluke 45 bench meter from what I believe is an authorized distributor (Test Equipment Depot), they appear and feel genuine.
Contact Test Equipment and report them as faulty and get a replacement.  Show them this thread and video if necessary as proof.

Offline dosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:42:49 pm »
They told me to contact Fluke. Instead, I initiated a return since I bought through eBay. I'm going to try a pair from Amazon (shipped and sold from Amazon) and if they're the same way I guess these probes just kind of suck and I'll return those too and get some probemasters or something. Weird letdown for my first set of Fluke probes, was expecting to have my mind blown.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 04:10:28 pm »
They told me to contact Fluke. Instead, I initiated a return since I bought through eBay. I'm going to try a pair from Amazon (shipped and sold from Amazon) and if they're the same way I guess these probes just kind of suck and I'll return those too and get some probemasters or something. Weird letdown for my first set of Fluke probes, was expecting to have my mind blown.
FYI, Amazon pools its own stock with that of fulfilled-by-Amazon third parties, so its stock may be contaminated with fakes. (Not toooo likely, but cannot be ruled out.) I'd order from a straight-up Fluke dealer like tequipment (I think there's a thread here somewhere where you can get a discount code).

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 04:11:31 pm »
That said, Fluke probes are sturdy, but otherwise quite mundane. Wanna be blown away? Get ProbeMaster probes.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 04:42:01 pm »
I have had several issues with TL71 and TL175 and some probe accessories, some with molding issues, some with intermittent contacts...
Although I really like the Fluke/Pomona probes, I now thoroughly test them when I get them (including especially wiggling the cables and the probes themselves).

I have had good luck with Fluke replacing the bad probes. I certainly recommend trying to purchase only from authorized vendors like TEquipment.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 11:16:55 pm »
FWIW, I have found that the Fluke leads that come bundled with NEW high end meters$$ are consistently excellent in all respects   :-+
I've seen and used a lot of them, not just the few I've had, but others as well I worked with.   

The ones that come with lower priced meters can be  ~ok~  to 'so so..meh'
and ocassionally you score unflexible annoying uncooperative Fluke branded vinyl eels  :horse:  that just will not 'shape up' or behave   :box:

I have never purchased Fluke leads separately as I can't be sure they will be the same as what's supplied with their high end meters,
the prices are ludicrous for what they are,
there are competing brands out there with as good quality (and or better) at a more realistic price
my DUTs don't care what brand of leads I poke them with   :-*

That said, There's a good blab happening here that's sorta related that may interest you

(and save us a lot of typing)   ;D

Topic: eevBLAB #33 - Why Gold Plated Probes Matter

www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblab-33-why-gold-plated-probes-matter/?all

Get a ringside seat while the action is still hot    8) 

Offline dosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 01:04:00 am »
I was only interested in the TP175 specifically (note that these are modular probes only, not the TL175 leads) because I have a modular setup with mostly stuff from Franky's shop. The only thing I didn't have was a set of modular probes; the unique (some would say gimmicky) action of the twistguard on the TP175s made them attractive to me because of the way I store the various stuff that gets hooked to my leads in an easy to reach bin attached to my shelf (see pic). No caps to fiddle with, but the protection is always there so I don't have to really worry about them getting damaged and can just twist and toss them in there with the rest of the stuff when I'm done with them. The kinda renowned ruggedness of Fluke gear also helped push me to drop the $30 or so they cost, and aside from everything else they really do feel rugged and well made.

I agree that the prices are ludicrous (particularly considering the performance, or lack thereof), these probes are actually the only equipment I have that I would really consider a premium/"lavish" expense. Most of my stuff is as value-conscious as it comes while still working decently enough. Can you suggest a similar modular probe with a built in cap that works somewhat similar to the Flukes, but doesn't cost Fluke money? Maybe even gold plated?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:10:09 am by dos »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 01:51:20 am »
...Most of my stuff is as value-conscious as it comes while still working decently enough.

Can you suggest a similar modular probe with a built in cap that works somewhat similar to the Flukes, but doesn't cost Fluke money? Maybe even gold plated?

All my modular stuff is a combination of Fluke leads and no name branded bits n bobs and DIY soldered thingies that plug in to each other snuggly and get the job done without fail,  :clap:
basically stuff collected over the years that sits in one 'go to' sealed plastic box, ready for the next troubleshoot session

Those TL175 leads have too much 'safety' plastic for my liking, especially at the meter end, where you can't see the condition of the metal behind the red plastic plug etc 

A small shaving/s of plastic somewhere along the chain, rubbing or interfering, can make for a really bad lab day.. especially if the DUT is enough of a battle already, :horse:
without friendly fire coming from the test gear too   |O

Check out that other post, lots of lead and probe naming and spanking over there, and more coming I reckon    :popcorn:

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 01:54:29 am »
I was only interested in the TP175 specifically (note that these are modular probes only, not the TL175 leads) because I have a modular setup with mostly stuff from Franky's shop. The only thing I didn't have was a set of modular probes; the unique (some would say gimmicky) action of the twistguard on the TP175s made them attractive to me because of the way I store the various stuff that gets hooked to my leads in an easy to reach bin attached to my shelf (see pic). No caps to fiddle with, but the protection is always there so I don't have to really worry about them getting damaged and can just twist and toss them in there with the rest of the stuff when I'm done with them. The kinda renowned ruggedness of Fluke gear also helped push me to drop the $30 or so they cost, and aside from everything else they really do feel rugged and well made.

I agree that the prices are ludicrous (particularly considering the performance, or lack thereof), these probes are actually the only equipment I have that I would really consider a premium/"lavish" expense. Most of my stuff is as value-conscious as it comes while still working decently enough. Can you suggest a similar modular probe with a built in cap that works somewhat similar to the Flukes, but doesn't cost Fluke money? Maybe even gold plated?
Nobody makes TwistGuard except Pomona, who is the OEM for Fluke leads. You can have TwistGuard or modular or gold, but not at the same time.

For me it's a no brainer: gold wins. ProbeMaster is superb so I went with them and urge you to do the same.

Offline dosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 07:58:08 pm »
Those TL175 leads have too much 'safety' plastic for my liking, especially at the meter end, where you can't see the condition of the metal behind the red plastic plug etc 

The TP175's don't have this problem as they just end in a normal female banana socket to which you can attach any lead you want, which is another reason why I like them. you don't even need to use shrouded banana plugs, which I believe is required with other modular probes.

Nobody makes TwistGuard except Pomona, who is the OEM for Fluke leads. You can have TwistGuard or modular or gold, but not at the same time.

With the TP175s you can have modular and twistguard at the same time, but not gold, which is a pretty big downer. Probemaster does offer modular gold probes. I will probably end up getting some modular probemasters as you suggest if the second pair of TP175s exhibit the same behavior.

EDIT: Actually from looking closer it doesn't appear that Probemaster's modular probes are gold plated. Can anyone who owns these confirm?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:13:48 pm by dos »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 08:17:57 pm »
Is there a way to chemically gold-plate, so you could gold-plate any probes you want? (Obviously electroplating would be easy enough to do, as far as connections go...)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf