Author Topic: Free Oscilloscope (Times up! scope has gone.)  (Read 19905 times)

Offline DubbieTopic starter

• Supporter
Free Oscilloscope (Times up! scope has gone.)
« on: July 06, 2016, 06:49:47 am »
Hi Everyone.

I have recently gotten a new oscilloscope for my hobby lab. This leaves me with my old one as surplus.
I could be greedy and leave it on my bench "just in case I need 8 channels of scoping one day" but that seems wasteful when someone else could be making use of it.

The scope I'm giving away is a Rigol DS1104Z-S. It is the 100MHz bandwidth version. It has not been hacked and has the built in signal gen and also Serial decoding option. It has 4 probes with it.
It is in perfect working order. I have really enjoyed using it and used it to complete many projects and repairs.

So, if you are still reading and want this scope, then read the conditions below.

• I will pay postage up to $50 NZD. Anything beyond that is on you. I am located in New Zealand.
  • I won't be responsible for any customs fees. I'll declare the value as $150
  • Offer is not open to citizens of rich first world countries. I feel that there are enough opportunities in those countries for people to make a good life compared to some poorer countries.
  • If you want the Scope, you have one week from this post date to write a single post reply explaining why you should get it. Pics of your lab or projects will be helpful!
  • If others want to give their 5c on what person deserves it the most, I welcome that.
  • I reserve the right to make the final choice.

Good luck.

Dave, if this post is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

Rhys.

[edit] time is up and the scope has been given away. Thanks for those who participated.

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
Re: Free Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:14:21 am »
You Sir,

Are a beautiful human being.

Online elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 02:26:56 pm »
Dubbie this is a great offer and maybe I could give it a try though there maybe somebody here is more deserving then me. I don't have any idea of how much will it cost for postage to Philippines but maybe I can afford the cost. Being poor and short in funds, I could hardly afford such a modern scope. I do have one, an analog 20Mhz scope given to me by Terrehertz. See this: http://everist.org/NobLog/20150731_simple_scope_funny_fault.htm
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-saga-of-my-first-oscilloscope/msg737995/#msg737995

But somehow I am limited with its capability and bandwidth. I use it for hobby (doing analog audio stuff) and repairing receivers and televisions (mostly CRT). I always wanted a modern scope but it would cost me an arm & leg considering it cost thousands (in peso). Oscilloscopes are not the kind of "consumer electronics" here unlike in first world countries where you can acquire it easily. I hope you will consider me.

(Edit)

The current state of my workshop:

Tools mostly sits on the table top since i have no room for their storage yet. So no wonder why it looks so messy most of the time

Salavaging components for my audio builds:

My pending projects (audio stuff):
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:08:13 pm by elex_enthusiast »
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 03:48:06 am »
Good on you! Great offer to the community, people like you give me hope for this world.  :-+

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 08:29:12 am »
@elex >"I hope you will consider me"

Of course! In fact, by virtue of being the sole respondent, you currently occupy the #1 position by miles :D

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: elex_enthusiast

Online elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 08:47:45 am »
I was wondering why its as if only me got interested. :-// Anybody else here?

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 10:49:04 am »
 :-+ :-+ :-+

That is a very generous offer you are doing. Such a scope is quite a decent unit.

I have no need for it, but i really hope it lands in the hands of someone who needs one and will put it to good use. Test equipment is made to be used not collected like stamps.

Online Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 03:50:35 pm »
the best ways to the Philippines is a balikbayan box, they go mostly free of import tax

greetings
Martin

The following users thanked this post: Glapsvin

Offline System Error Message

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 02:13:56 am »
Not everyone in a rich 1st world country lives well. Take the US for example, many unemployed and poverty that i just cant trust a US business since they tend to just take my money and run off with it, they may be a legitimate business but they start ripping off foreigners simply because strict customs means no customer protection and its hard to buy things overseas and even in the UK things are horridly overpriced.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 04:44:43 am »
Not everyone in a rich 1st world country lives well. Take the US for example, many unemployed and poverty that i just cant trust a US business since they tend to just take my money and run off with it, they may be a legitimate business but they start ripping off foreigners simply because strict customs means no customer protection and its hard to buy things overseas and even in the UK things are horridly overpriced.

Well i never had that problem with the US. But buying used test equipment in Europe does tend to be a bit of an expensive venture compared to the US. Not a lot of test equipment shows up on ebay here so usually you end up buying a unit from the US. When buying heavy items like big ass PSUs or old RF gear and such you can quickly pay more for shipping than what the item itself costs, and then import tax for all of that on top.

I would imagine this gets even worse for the more 3rd world countries where the likely even higher shipping costs are made even worse by the people having lower average income.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 06:07:26 am »
I would imagine this gets even worse for the more 3rd world countries where the likely even higher shipping costs are made even worse by the people having lower average income.

Indeed it is and even worse: scarcity in supply of such "specialty goods" and a very high price that comes with it even those surplus. It is easy for people in first world countries to say "oh I got an el cheapo multimeter/oscilloscope" or "hey I found an old crappy scope in a dumpster" and then tear it down and drop test till it breaks. While in third world countries where I belong, it's not easy to say "oh I got and entry level test gear" because that "entry level" kind of gears comes with a high price that even an average income earner could hardly afford.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:10:14 am by elex_enthusiast »

Offline freebil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 10:22:54 am »
Hello. I am 29 years old. I live in Greece. Next week, I am finishing my studies(after 12 years..) at the Technical university of Crete as Electronics and Computer engineer. I started using arduinos 6 months ago and it would be great if I have an oscilloscope to explore the signals. Now, I have only a uni-t multimeter. In the age of 17, I started using electronics with a pirate radio FM station (http://www.smartkit.gr/index.php/fm-transmitter-4w.html?___store=en&___from_store=gr). I asked my university labs if they have any oscilloscope for throwing away but they have not. Moreover, in Greece it is very difficult to find a used to buy, because of course, I cant afford to buy a new.

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 06:00:51 pm »
Only two days to go. Only two responses so far!
That's pretty good odds.... Slightly surprised that there isn't more interested parties.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 06:45:53 pm »
Oh there's very keen interest this end, I actually wrote a full page submission only to go back and then notice the first world condition followed by a 10 minute two handed face palm on my part, and if living in a second world suburb surrounded by idiots counted for anything then I might have been a valid contender, I do have a Tektronix TDS-1002 which just keeps me out of trouble and hope one day to be in a better position to update it but for my usage a decent scope would be a luxury rather than a necessity, either way you are to be properly thanked and congratulated for your extremely generous offer, It hasn't gone unnoticed by any account.

:-+ :clap: :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:55:57 pm by Muttley Snickers »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 05:27:34 am »
That's pretty good odds.... Slightly surprised that there isn't more interested parties.

Maybe we're all first/second world citizens and/or already have a 'scope.

The one you're giving away is better than mine, but... there's people who need it more than me.  :-//

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 05:59:56 am »
Second world is fine!

I was just talking about the rich countries like USA, Australia, Canada, UK etc etc. Places where if you really put your heart into it, you can save for a good scope.

R

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 02:04:50 pm »
Rhys,

Thank you for your generosity  :-+, I am in.

I'm a hobbyist, living in a 3rd world, as buying T&M equipments, only big companies or government do that here, and used ones are so damn expensive, like almost 4 digits even for an old analog scope.  :'(

Even though I own an old analog 4 ch Tek scope and slow digital 2 ch 250MS/s scope but only with 2500 samples memory capabilty  :'(. Its my wish to have a 4 ch "digital" scope, especially on the signal gen part, as I'm playing a lot recently with digital domain namely Arm mcu platform and various power switching. Still a noob though, but the "digital part" of the scope you offer with 2GS/s will definitely help in "freezing" the signal compared hunting them in analog , or using the 2500 samples memory scope.

About mine, don't get me wrong, I bought them real cheap at neighborhood country which is considered as 1st world country, and its not easy as those were done in sort of shady type of business deal, more or less very similar like smuggling it thru the border. And since last 3 years, its almost impossible now, also wifey factor jumps in as this thing is getting more expensive.  |O

Regarding photo, currently I'm traveling, but still if you need it, I will take a shot once I get home about end of this month.

Also I PM you other details that I don't feel comfortable posting here.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 03:51:48 pm »
Is it really a Rigol DS1104S or did you mean Rigol DS1104Z?

The latter one, is a very good scope to have, even as a backup scope, so why give it away? :)

Offline YU2

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 05:19:01 pm »
Hi, I am a electronic hobbyst from Bosnia and Herzegovina. Yeah, it is in Europe but it is not in EU and the standard here is pretty shitty so this is definitely not a first world country.
I have a small lab where I am messing with electronics. I have one old analog 20MHz osciloscope that I am using for audio stuff but I would like to have some better digital one with whom I could get more into the world of digital electronics. Buying one is way out of my budget and right now I cant afford one. Sir that Rigol you are giving away is one good quality piece of equipment that I would really like to have. That is what I need.
To tell you the truth so far no one gave me nothing for free. What I have are the stuff I bought alone. I like quality tools, the most quality tool that I have right now is Fluke 87V, bought it here locally for some moderate amount of money.

Hope you will consider me for the Rigol........thanks in advance. And a picture of my lab:

The following users thanked this post: Berni

Offline george.b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 06:12:37 pm »

Definitely not first world here, but hey, I just got my first digital scope - a Tek 2430A - sure, it's ancient and slow, but it's good enough for now. There are 1Gs/s scopes at the university that I can use anyway.
Besides, an oscilloscope would almost certainly get caught at customs, and our import taxes amount to about 100%, so a free oscilloscope isn't even a good deal ;D

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 07:53:11 pm »
Thanks for the posts. Tough choice to make tomorrow. Just to clarify, it is a 1104Z (1GSs) I mistyped 'S' in the opening post. Yes it is a nice scope, and yes I could keep it as 'backup'. But really that seems excessive. It's not like I do mission critical work where I cannot be without a scope for a week or so.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 10:33:22 pm »
Thanks for the posts. Tough choice to make tomorrow. Just to clarify, it is a 1104Z (1GSs) I mistyped 'S' in the opening post. Yes it is a nice scope, and yes I could keep it as 'backup'. But really that seems excessive. It's not like I do mission critical work where I cannot be without a scope for a week or so.

Nice, with the siggen mentioned in the OP that'll be a DS1104Z-S.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 10:51:18 pm »
That's clear now! Again, a very good scope, and the highest model available in the DS1000Z series, given that is was not hacked, while it has the full bandwidth, and that it comes with the signal generator, and on top of that a serial decoding option in software, which was even paid for :)

But what about your new scope? Can you provide some details about that?
I noticed only just now, that there were no details about your new scope in the OP.

So now the big question.. did you do a transition from Rigol to Siglent, GW-Instek or an A-brand? :)

Which border did you cross, and to which front do you belong now? Did you desert the Rigol army? :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:55:09 pm by pascal_sweden »

• Supporter
Free Oscilloscope
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 11:02:57 pm »
Haha good question. I upgraded to a Keysight mso3024T with all options which I got for a very good price. I have to say, I was kinda surprised that the new scope doesn't feel as solid to me as my Rigol. I also keep reaching for buttons and knobs in the wrong place. Oh well, I am sure I will get used to it!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:05:16 pm by Dubbie »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 11:25:30 pm »
Thanks for the posts. Tough choice to make tomorrow.
Perhaps you could ask members to 'help' you choose by thanking the posts or something.

As it's a 4 channel I think it should be shared - 2 channels each. ???
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:28:34 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf