Author Topic: GaGe CompuScope 2125 oscilloscope card for IBM PC AT  (Read 2644 times)

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
GaGe CompuScope 2125 oscilloscope card for IBM PC AT
« on: January 09, 2016, 11:21:54 pm »
Anybody out here who ever had a device like this?
http://www.artisantg.com/info/gage_compuscope2125_datasheet.pdf

Can it still be used for today's MCU applications or is it really obsolete?

Offline wblock

• Regular Contributor
Re: GaGe CompuScope 2125 oscilloscope card for IBM PC AT
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 11:59:13 pm »
The first problem is going to be finding a modern computer with ISA slots.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 11:27:29 am »

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 04:05:47 pm »
Never say never :)
http://www.adek.com/ATX-motherboards.html

No one did.   :-//

Thanks for pointing out though that there still exist industrial mobo's that have modern processor support, along with legacy devices, such as ISA, and a *hitload of RS232 channels.  :)

OTOH, beyond the rather anemic specs of this board as a DSO (compared to current-gen technology), i.e. a max BW of 125 MHz, max sample-rate of 125 MSa/s with two chans (twice if interleaved to to 1 channel); perhaps the greatest impediment to usability may be their extensive Driver support... for DOS, Win3.1, and even Win95!  Sure that's 2 decades old, but hey!  There are definitely some industrial-type shops around, still running PCs that ancient.  I haven't seen one in at least 10 years, and most here couldn't care less, but... they DO exist.

Then combine that with the fact that the max transfer BW from the sample RAM on the board into the PC is a whopping 2 MB/sec TOTAL, for all channels, across however many boards you have installed, and you'd be better off with an external USB2 box, shovelling your samples into the PC.  And unless someone is giving these boards away, the cost is probably going to be rather difficult to justify.

Bottom line is that unless you have some very specific (and somewhat peculiar) requirements, a board like this makes no sense at all in the 21st century.  And if you found one in a dumpster, it's not worth the trouble to take it out.    :(

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 04:13:42 pm »
Yes, I was expecting the same.

Was also surprised about the modern MOBOs with ISA support.

No specific application needs for this at this point in time, but I keep in mind in case I need ISA support one day :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf