Author Topic: Getting back into the game and looking for a scope  (Read 10659 times)

Offline TimonTopic starter

Getting back into the game and looking for a scope
« on: April 13, 2014, 10:46:05 pm »
I've been out of the design game for quite a while  it I'm getting back in for my self and need to find a nice scope. My scope of choice many years ago was a Tek 475. I guess I could find a used one but I'd like to get something a bit more up to date. I'll mainly be working with uPs plus some power supply work and some RF circuits. I've been looking at a dS1000Z series but I not sure I want to loose 100Mhz of bandwidth I had with the old 475. Anyone have some suggestions or comments that would help?

Offline TankaaKumawani

• Contributor
  • The Monster of Lake Erie
Re: Getting back into the game and looking for a scope
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 11:29:47 pm »
It depends on how much you want the four channels.  I'm rather fond of my (hacked) DS2072 with 300MHz bandwidth, but it only has two input channels.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 11:44:29 pm »
If we knew where you are, we could advise of a local supplier.
What is your definition of "nice"?
If you asked our Dave he would likely say LCD screen DSO to keep up with the times.
There is plenty of choice, how deep are your pockets?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:18:18 am »
Country and budget please
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:43:15 am »
How many times do we need to ask this each time? I really think it is time for country to be mandatory in user profiles

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 01:12:36 am »
How many times do we need to ask this each time? I really think it is time for country to be mandatory in user profiles

+1.
Are you listening Dave?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 03:33:43 am »

(Don't like the question?, just ignore it)

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
  • How many pseudonyms do you have?
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 04:20:17 am »
Since it's your money it's easy for me to say get one of those nice 4-chan agilents at least 300MHz. Or look at the new Tek scopes. Also there's been talk that Tek are coming out with some new models soon. Don't know how soon but might be worth the wait.

Offline TimonTopic starter

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 02:57:27 am »
First, I've updated my profile with location information. Sorry I forgot to set that up before posting. Since this is a very International site I +1 that it should require one to add country during initial sign up.

Budget, I'd like to stay under a grand. Even then I'll have to sweet talk my wife to get it.

I'd love a good Tek or Agilent but 3 to 4 grand is not in the budget.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:59:03 am by Timon »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:48:56 am »
+1.
Are you listening Dave?

This was polled a long time ago and the response was no, don't make it compulsory.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 04:27:46 am »
First, I've updated my profile with location information. Sorry I forgot to set that up before posting. Since this is a very International site I +1 that it should require one to add country during initial sign up.

Budget, I'd like to stay under a grand. Even then I'll have to sweet talk my wife to get it.

I'd love a good Tek or Agilent but 3 to 4 grand is not in the budget.
What about an older Tek/Agilent? In the 1k category, I think a prime choice would the Siglent 2000 series. They offered me a special deal, try and work one out with them. The price was very nice.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:32:06 am by echen1024 »
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 10:43:14 am »
I always recommend an older and less expensive used oscilloscope so one can gain a better understanding of what they really want or need.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 03:47:12 pm »
In the 1k category, I think a prime choice would the Siglent 2000 series. They offered me a special deal, try and work one out with them. The price was very nice.

Who is them?  Does Siglent sell directly?

And OP, if you want to get your feet wet, you could also consider the Hantek DSO5062BM @ $330 (hackable to 200MHz).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:52:45 pm by edavid »

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 04:06:21 pm »
In the 1k category, I think a prime choice would the Siglent 2000 series. They offered me a special deal, try and work one out with them. The price was very nice.

And OP, if you want to get your feet wet, you could also consider the Hantek DSO5062BM @ $330 (hackable to 200MHz).
Siglent are the ODM that make LeCroy low end scopes. They have been getting better over the years, and the 2000 series looks quite nice.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 04:09:34 pm »

Siglent are the ODM that make LeCroy low end scopes. They have been getting better over the years, and the 2000 series looks quite nice.

No, who is the "them" you contacted to work out the special deal?  Siglent China?  How did you contact them?

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 04:27:37 pm »

No, who is the "them" you contacted to work out the special deal?  Siglent China?  How did you contact them?

Yes, Siglent directly. They are on the forum, and they can put you in touch with a salesperson. I believe Herman on the forum can as well.

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 04:32:23 pm »
Budget, I'd like to stay under a grand. Even then I'll have to sweet talk my wife to get it

The rules of the game have changed, you don't tell your wife now. You said you're getting back into the game so I figured you didn't know the new rules. Here are a few I've learned.

1. You need at least 3 multimeters, one should be a bench meter because the other 2 could suffer a battery leak
2. Keep the lab/bench messy (on purpose or not), this way it's much harder for spouse to spot new gear.
3. Intercept credit card bill at mail box or possibly catch the mail deliverer  before they get to your house
4. You probably need two oscilloscopes, how will you fix it should it develop issues
5. encourage your spouse to buy something expensive (not as expensive) to give you bargaining room should they see credit card bill
6. don't tell your spouse unless there's no other way
7. See #6
8. All the rules I forgot go here

Congrats on getting back in the game!

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 06:01:39 pm »
I like my siglent with all its bells and whistles and the large display BUT! It can be glitchy. Sometimes when it goes to sleep, I can't wake it up without turning it off and back on. Little stuff like that. But it's just my home scope I use for personal projects and the cost is so low I can't really complain. I have my 100mhz BK analog scope on a rack above my bench and I have to say I am using it less and less in favor of the siglent.  With shipping and all it was in the $350 us range. One day if I ever really work out of my house I will buy something faster with digital phosphor and more memory, but until then I have not found this scope wanting for anything.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:05:29 pm by calexanian »
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 06:12:07 pm »
I like my siglent with all its bells and whistles and the large display BUT! It can be glitchy. Sometimes when it goes to sleep, I can't wake it up without turning it off and back on. Little stuff like that. But it's just my home scope I use for personal projects and the cost is so low I can't really complain. I have my 100mhz BK analog scope on a rack above my bench and I have to say I am using it less and less in favor of the siglent.  With shipping and all it was in the $350 us range. One day if I ever really work out of my house I will buy something faster with digital phosphor and more memory, but until then I have not found this scope wanting for anything.

Which model is that?

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 06:50:07 pm »
See the other thread Tektronics has announced the new models apparently under $1000.

Offline Tabs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 07:01:31 pm »
If budgets a problem then consider a hacked rigol.
There is this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oscilloscope-feature-wars-agilent-options/ if you want to legit.
I'm going to check out the new tek scopes.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 07:16:46 pm »
See the other thread Tektronics has announced the new models apparently under $1000.

Which thread is that?  I only see the one with a rumor.

(The TBS1000 is old news, not competitive.)

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »
+1.
Are you listening Dave?

This was polled a long time ago and the response was no, don't make it compulsory.

That's a little disingenuous, Dave; the original poll didn't mention that even if the setting was mandatory users could use a 'black flag' to keep their country anonymous.

A more recent poll resulted in over 60% of respondents voting for required country setting, versus less than 15% voting for the status quo.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 08:03:47 pm »
A good look at those poll numbers show approx 2/3 for a flag against 1/3 opposed.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 01:49:49 am »
I posted that thread. The Siglent SDS2000 is no comparison. Totally different class. More like Agilent 2000X territory.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf