Author Topic: Gift Multimeter/Clamp Meter  (Read 3738 times)

Offline MAntunesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Gift Multimeter/Clamp Meter
« on: October 16, 2017, 04:43:30 pm »
Hi guys.
I'm looking to buy a new multimeter/clamp meter as a gift to my father, who has been an electrician for more than 30 years.
This multimeter is going to be used as his personal one. He his not going to use it for work purposes.

He currently has a very old clamp meter (as can be seen in the picture below). But I don't know if I should buy another clamp meter or a regular one.
He mainly works with mains voltage (230/400V) and sometimes with electronics for fixing broken home appliances.
I would like to stay below 250€ but if it's worth it I can go up to 300€. I live in Portugal and I have no problem buying online, as long as within the EU.

I've looked at Fluke, but they are much more expensive than the other brands and I'd like to stay away from chinese brands like Brymen or Uni-T, which I have nothing against, if I was buying for me I would definitely consider them.
What are your opinions about Amprobe?

If you recommend a clamp meter I would like it to measure DC current also.

Thank you in advance.
Miguel

Offline anishkgt

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
Re: Gift Multimeter/Clamp Meter
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:47:41 pm »
I doubt the brymen is Chinese. I have the BM869s and it is worth it. Amprobe is an excellent one and so are Extech which is owned by Flir. The higher end would be a gossen.

Www.Georgehobby.wordpress.com

Equipments: DSO104z, Hakko FX888D

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 04:51:17 pm »
Brymen is not made in China last I knew.    Some of Amprobe products are made by UNI-T.

I have not looked at any clamp meters outside the dirt cheap UNI-T UT210E (which I like a lot).   

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 06:15:10 pm »
I've looked at Fluke, but they are much more expensive than the other brands

Not necessarily. The Fluke 101 is a very nice multimeter for electricians/AC mains work for about $42 delivered. They're very safe meters and have have a nice solid heft to them, nothing like the feel of a cheapo meter. $42 sounds cheapskate but I'm sure he'd be very pleased with one. Sometimes simple/reliable is better.

There's also Fluke 15B+/17B+ around the $100 mark. They're aimed more at electronics engineers than electricians but can do both.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 06:31:28 pm »
Brymen is made in Taiwan, excellent quality, and highly recommended as easily equal to the likes of Fluke...
Lower price is plus..

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 06:34:02 pm »
The Fluke 175 is within your budget and good for electronics/electrician combo

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 08:06:44 pm »
This is your choice Fluke 117 :-DMM
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Fluke-117-Electricians-Digital-Multimeter-New-in-Box-MSRP-215/282675131790 200EUR NEW!
You can buy also used for around 120EUR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 08:35:08 pm »
Hi guys, thank you for your recommendations.
As I said earlier, if I was buying for myself, I would consider Brymen hands down.

The Fluke 175 seems to be a good option for arround 230€ from amazon.de.

As for clamp meters I checked the Fluke 325 for arround 250€ also from amazon.de. But is it normal only being able to measure current from the clamp and not the leads?
From Amprobe I've looked at the AMP-320-EUR for arround 200€ at tme.eu.

If you could give some more of your opinions it would be awsome!
Thank you again.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 05:39:16 am »
Brymen is made in Taiwan and makes meters as an ODM for Amprobe, Extech, and some others.

If you want to give him a good overall electrician's meter:
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/bm089/meters-and-acdc-clamp-probes/brymen/

If you want to do something a bit more general and useful for electronics, I would suggest a BM257S, BM525S, or even a BM869S. Thenyou can also get him a Uni-Trend UT 210E or UT211B as a clamp meter. It all depends on your budget.

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 05:46:46 am »
Electricians (in the US) like Fluke, Fieldpiece and Klein. I don't really know what they see in Fieldpiece but they like them a lot.

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 07:06:22 am »
For an electrician, a true RMS current clamp is mandatory.

Unlike voltage, current is in most cases non-sinusoidal.

The heating of the cables and the corresponding fuse rating is proportional to the square of the RMS current.
A clamp that does not measure the RMS current gives erroneous and fancy results if the current is not sinusoidal.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 08:42:03 am »
Just my $0.02 but...

The whole approach of: "I must spend at least XXX and get the most awesome thing ever or they'll feel cheated" seems braindead.

Me? I'd far rather have something that I'll enjoy owning and use a lot than something that cost a lot of money.

eg. Everybody around here drools over Brymen BM257s and Fluke 87Vs but if he uses the current clamp a lot then one of those it will sit unused in a drawer. He'll keep right on using the old meter because it's more useful/familiar to him.

I don't know if I should buy another clamp meter or a regular one.

I think it's important to find that out before looking at any meters...  :popcorn:

I checked the Fluke 325 ... is it normal only being able to measure current from the clamp and not the leads?

Yes. Not being able to pass current directly through the meter is a big safety feature.

this is the one i used when I was working.
Loved it.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Electrical-Voltage-Continuity-Current/dp/B0006Z3GZU/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1508187367&sr=8-16&keywords=fluke%2Bac%2Bcurrent%2Bmeter&th=1

That fits the job description posted here.

(and also proves that people can enjoy using a sub-$100 meter and find it very useful)

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 06:32:10 pm »
Electricians (in the US) like Fluke, Fieldpiece and Klein. I don't really know what they see in Fieldpiece but they like them a lot.
Fieldpiece has a loyal following because they only focus on HVACR.  See

http://www.fieldpiece.com/about

and from a bit of research I did a couple of years ago, they really listen to their customers and do the "right thing" when it comes to warranty and repair.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 12:07:11 am »
This is supposed to be a Christmas gift, so I have lots of time to think about it.
I am decided on a Clamp Meter, this is a gift for him and not for me. And I'd like to use my budget to have the best and safest possible meter I can.

These are the ones I checked so far:
  • Fluke: Fluke 325
  • Brymen: Brymen BM089
  • Amprobe: AMP 320, AMP 330

Right now I'm looking in the several European Amazon Stores and at tme.eu. If you could suggest more shop it would be nice.
Also, if you have any more suggestions of clamp meters I would be very grateful.

Regarding the Fluke T5600: my father has a similar one, although not a Fluke, and always uses the clamp meter I showed you.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 12:42:42 am »
Not necessarily. The Fluke 101 is a very nice multimeter for electricians/AC mains work for about $42 delivered. They're very safe meters and have have a nice solid heft to them, nothing like the feel of a cheapo meter. $42 sounds cheapskate but I'm sure he'd be very pleased with one. Sometimes simple/reliable is better.

There's also Fluke 15B+/17B+ around the $100 mark. They're aimed more at electronics engineers than electricians but can do both.
I wouldn't gift anything that isn't true RMS to an electrician.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 04:14:16 am »
I'd lean towards the Fluke.
It's nicer giving the top of the line brand as a gift rather than something that might be just as good on paper but is perceived as a tier two option.

It's like all those grandmas who gave Zunes for xmas when the kid just wanted an ipod.   ;D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 07:29:01 am »
I'd lean towards the Fluke.
It's nicer giving the top of the line brand as a gift rather than something that might be just as good on paper but is perceived as a tier two option.

It's like all those grandmas who gave Zunes for xmas when the kid just wanted an ipod.   ;D
It isn't too late to casually strike up a conversation and ask why he prefers the old clampmeter. Maybe that would tell you what to look for.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf