Author Topic: Good PC based or cheap dedicated Logic analyzer Best bang for the buck?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline innkeeperTopic starter

• Supporter
I'm in the market for a good logic analyzer on the cheap.
PC based seems like the logical way to go through not stuck on the idea.

What can you all recommend? 

I don't want something with a limited feature set or crappy software, or hardware I need to fight to get to work.  I've used some very advanced logic analyzers at work in the past so, i don't want to be frustrated.

Questionable Chinese knockoff solutions are out. Not against knockoffs if there known good ...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:16:57 pm by innkeeper »
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
Re: Good PC based DSO / Logic analizer Best bang for the buck?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 06:29:46 pm »
Analog Discovery 2 for bang for buck? 14-bit ADC is nice too. It doesn't do high speed signals though...
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 06:41:22 pm »
I'm in the market for a good logic analyzer on the cheap.
PC based seems like the logical way to go through not stuck on the idea.

What can you all recommend? 

I don't want something with a limited feature set or crappy software, or hardware I need to fight to get to work.  I've used some very advanced logic analyzers at work in the past so, i don't want to be frustrated.

Questionable Chinese knockoff solutions are out. Not against knockoffs if there known good ...
I think you got the names of equipment confused. DSO=digital storage oscilloscope. MSO=mixed signal oscilloscope (=with digital inputs).
If you want PC based you could look at the Tektronix TLA700 series. A TLA715 is a nice start for example. Modules and probes are dirt cheap and the modules can be hacked.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 07:15:50 pm »
yea i definitely messed up the topic, now fixed

I have a digital scope with mso capabilities but from all accounts the LA is not that great

so looking for something outboard.
sorry for the confusion.

On the tla715, looks like a few bargains can be had on the used market, just did a quick check...
when you say the modules are hackable, .. in what way?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:17:23 pm by innkeeper »
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
If you don't have any idea what you need, I'd start by getting one (or two) of the $5-$8 USB 24MHz/8ch units and use sigrok software.
(Salaea software will also work, but I think that's unethical.)

• Supporter
If you don't have any idea what you need, I'd start by getting one (or two) of the $5-$8 USB 24MHz/8ch units and use sigrok software.

It isn't that i don't know what i need, its that i haven't been surveying the market and i don't know whats available and is good value.
i can say at minimum id want 16 channels, and more likely 32 channels or more.  an 8 channel device, for me, is not very useful.

• Supporter
the intronix LA1034 seems ok, I just started playing with their software, which you can demo before you buy...but at 400 bucks id like to go cheaper
any opinions on the hantek la4032 and la5034? i haven't found where you can demo their app. i wonder how they compare to the intronix for example.

i looked briefly at the Saleae and was kind of put off by them not having continuously adjustable threshold levels.  yea kinda picky from being bit by such things in the past.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:49:50 am by innkeeper »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
any opinions on the hantek la4032 and la5034?
given their previous record and the lack of software description, i suspect the software will be super crappy just as previous. expect developing your own software to have any meaning for it.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 04:23:30 am »
On the tla715, looks like a few bargains can be had on the used market, just did a quick check...
when you say the modules are hackable, .. in what way?

The TLA7xx modules are hackable in that there are various maximum speed and sample depth options for the modules, which can be easily set to the maximum options.

For example, a TLA7N4 module has maximum state clocks rate options of 100MHz and 200MHz, and sample depth options per channel of 64K, 256K, 1M, and 4M. No point of looking for one with better options and paying more for it when the max options can simply be enabled.

On the HP / Agilent side of things, some of the analyzer module models with different sample depths are actually the same PCBs fully populated with the maximum memory with different configuration resistors which code the model. For example people here have reported that an HP / Agilent 16750 module with 4M max sample depth can be reconfigured into a 16752 module with 32M max sample depth. That requires some solder work with small surface mount resistors so it's not as simple as the Tektronix case. Some of the newer Agilent / Keysight analyzer modules such as the 16911A have software installable upgrades which as far as I know no one has figured out how to hack yet.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
the intronix LA1034 seems ok, I just started playing with their software, which you can demo before you buy...but at 400 bucks id like to go cheaper
any opinions on the hantek la4032 and la5034? i haven't found where you can demo their app. i wonder how they compare to the intronix for example.

i looked briefly at the Saleae and was kind of put off by them not having continuously adjustable threshold levels.  yea kinda picky from being bit by such things in the past.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/usb-logic-analyzer-whats-the-current-favorite-for-~150$/

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I'd stay clear from this one. 2kbit per channel is not enough.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor

It isn't that i don't know what i need, its that i haven't been surveying the market and i don't know whats available and is good value.
i can say at minimum id want 16 channels, and more likely 32 channels or more.  an 8 channel device, for me, is not very useful.

You're missing the most important piece of information: What frequency of signals do you want to look at?

Offline toli

• Frequent Contributor
as maginnovision posted, I've had a similar dilemma up until a few days ago, and I've had a discussion here on the forum (link)
Have a look there and see if this is of any help. For my requirements the DSlogic plus ended up as being the best fit (with compromises I can live with). For some other uses the 4032L could be a better fit. Have a look through this thread, it has some useful information.
My DIY blog (mostly electronics/stereo related):
http://tolisdiy.com/

• Supporter
at least somthing in the 400MSa/s range but would prefer something in the 800MSa/s and higher range but dont wanna break the bank, still trying to stay relatively cheap.
a used tek tla715 is looking pretty interesting. or a intronix LA1034, and the hantek 4032L anyway that gives you a rough idea.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:47:11 pm by innkeeper »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
at least somthing in the 400MSa/s range but would prefer something in the 800MSa/s and higher range but dont wanna break the bank, still trying to stay relatively cheap.
a used tek tla715 is looking pretty interesting. or a intronix LA1034, and the hantek 4032L anyway that gives you a rough idea.
If you a looking at such samplerates then the probing also becomes a factor. Going for the TLA715 is a safe bet because it has probes which are up to such tasks.

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
I've used some very advanced logic analyzers at work in the past

Like what? Might be useful to know what you're using as a reference.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf