Author Topic: New 2016 Fluke 289 Screen issue and reading issue  (Read 3732 times)

Offline dmd85059Topic starter

New 2016 Fluke 289 Screen issue and reading issue
« on: October 16, 2016, 03:55:43 pm »
Hello,

I've just bought a FLuke 289 brandnew 2016 version.    Upon unpacking and testing it I found 2 issues which are very dissapointed. 

Issue 1:
The glass screen seem to be defective.  It has a swirly pattern and if yoy move back and forth, the pattern dances, which is very annoying to look at (much worse in person).

Question: Fluke 289 owners, does yours exhibit this issue?

Issue 2:
When measuring ohm with alligator clips, as I touched the "hold" button, the reading changed as much as 2 ohms either up or down then settled back to original reading.  So, for example, if my reading was 21 ohms, as I touched the Hold button, it might give a different reading whatever it chose, not 21 ohms.  This reading change also happens in milliVolts by as much as 100mV
     Question: Is this normal? I didn't expect a Fluke 289 to do this. I don't see this issue on a Brymen 869s

Is this particular unit defective or all 289s do this? If so, i might need to find another meter.

Thanks all

« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 04:40:47 pm by dmd85059 »

Offline adranp

• Regular Contributor
Re: New 2016 Fluke 289 Screen issue and reading issue
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 04:10:14 pm »
I do have a similar screen effect on my 289 but just at a low angle. Looking straight or near does not exhibit that screen condition at all.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 04:14:35 pm »
Thanks, do you have the reading problem I'm having?  That's very disappointing for A top Fluke to do that, it's ashamed if I can't press any buttons while reading.  I"m afraid to get another one which might run into the same issue!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 04:23:14 pm »
I can't comment on the screen as I don't have a 289.

Based on Flukes that I do have, for the hold, hold freezes the display at the last measurement whether it is correct or not.  If you want to use autohold, see page 15 of the manual

http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/287_289_umeng0100.pdf

Can a brand new Fluke be defective?  Yes, like anything else.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 04:24:41 pm »
Question: Is this normal? I didn't expect a Fluke 289 to do this. I don't see this issue on a Brymen 869s
A quick video showing what you are doing with the 289 and Brymen 869 would help us help you.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 04:34:08 pm »
Brymen 869: rock solid reading doesn't matter where i touched it

Fluke 289: Dances all over the place, don't even need to touch it.  I really hope this is only this unit that does this.  Otherwise, it's very shame!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 04:46:31 pm »
When measuring ohm with alligator clips, as I touched the "hold" button, the reading changed as much as 2 ohms either up or down then settled back to original reading.  So, for example, if my reading was 21 ohms, as I touched the Hold button, it might give a different reading whatever it chose, not 21 ohms. 
I think your description is wrong above.  Watching your latest video, I don't see it changing from 9.21 ohms to +/- 2 ohms. That is, I don't see 7.2 or 11.2 ohms.

What I do see is the last significant digit changing up and down.  For example, I see 9.19 to 9.24.  Since I don't have this meter, I can't tell you if this is normal or not.

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 03:15:03 pm »
I checked my 289 with a low ohms resistor and the standard test leads with the alligator clips.  I was not able to reproduce the fluctuating low digits issue shown in the video.  My unit showed a rock solid value no matter where my hand was.  Have you checked this in another location?  I wonder if there is a chance you are in a strong electro-magnetic field that is inducing some noise into the leads or the unit itself.  Also, the display seemed lower in contrast than usual.  The 289 LCD doesn't win any contrast awards, but I think yours could be better if you adjust the screen contrast in the setup menu.  I didn't see any of the moire effect in my screen that shows in your video.  It may be the LCD has shifted and is touching the back of the protective lens?

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 02:09:00 am »
Concur with commongrounder.  Checked with a 10 ohm resistor, and the reading is totally stable and does not change by engaging hold or waving hands around.  Also while the contrast is not award-winning, it is much better than what I see in your vids.  I think your meter may have a defect.  Disappointing for sure, but it happens I guess.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf