Author Topic: GW Instek FRA Software  (Read 6911 times)

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
Re: GW Instek FRA Software
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 02:13:31 am »
I plan to.  I've got an MSO-2204EA and a VNWA 3E.  As it happens, I suggested the idea to GW during some pre-purchase discussions.  I'm both surprised and pleased that they took up the idea.  It will be interesting to see how they did.  In principle, it should provide usable results over most of the HF spectrum, though with some limitations on dynamic range.

Offline rigol52Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 05:16:16 pm »
I am looking forward to your test with great interest, thanks.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 05:31:01 pm »
It will take a while.  I've not even plugged the VNWA in yet, nor my new GPSDO.  I *just* got most stuff  plugged back in, but the mat of power cords to the power strip is so thick I may need to redo it.  I've still got a bunch of stuff to plug in if I can find room.  It's a cramped space.

Offline rfdes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 08:54:39 pm »
I just downloaded the APP but see no instructions on how to install.  The technique appears different than a firmware upgrade.
Anyone installed the APP yet?  If so, please explain the steps.
Thanks
Jim

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 09:33:42 pm »
I just downloaded the APP but see no instructions on how to install.  The technique appears different than a firmware upgrade.
Anyone installed the APP yet?  If so, please explain the steps.
It is just a matter of selecting the APP in the file browser and pressing the select button.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rfdes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 09:45:35 pm »
Thanks for responding.

These 5 files are included in the APP download.  None of these will initiate an install when selected with the SELECT button.

FRA.txt
FRA.inf
FRA.lua
FRA.png
nLicense.png

I thought the FRA.txt file may be the instructions but I cannot read the file with a standard text editor.
The user manual also has no installation instructions.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 02:22:35 am »
I have ever been installing Digital Filter App on GDS-1000B.  Try again, just select the .gz file(the original file).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:26:48 am by Kevin »

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 10:59:25 am »

Try again, just select the .gz file (the original file).

As rfdes say, after unpacking .gz file, we got this files:

FRA.txt, FRA.inf, FRA.lua, FRA.png, nLicense.png

FRA.txt probably contain Chinese characters only  (not readable by any editor available to me).

I am not GW Instek Scope owner, just preliminary interested due those FRA software feature.

Offline rfdes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 12:25:56 pm »

I sent a technical support request yesterday to GW.  Once I find the answer, I will post my findings.
take care - Jim

Offline rfdes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 04:59:43 pm »
I have ever been installing Digital Filter App on GDS-1000B.  Try again, just select the .gz file(the original file).

Kevin - You were absolutely right.  Not sure how I screwed this up but simply selecting the .gz file did the trick.
Thanks again.
Take care - Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 10:47:29 pm »
Does this mean, that final installation and run location of this FRA software is scope and not desktop PC?

That this, in fact, is about scope firmware upgrade?

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 12:42:57 am »
Yes, it is a FW upgrade.  Requires V 1.34 and the FRA app.  Only works on the scopes with built in AWGs.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 04:29:49 am »
This is even better FRA solution, than I thought at first (that it run on PC, processing signals, taken over USB cable).

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 12:09:53 pm »
Perhaps somebody would care to post some screenshots?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 06:27:41 pm »
Here are some screen shots.   Actually, I'd be embarrassed to even show it as a work in progress as it is not useful even as a pedagogical tool for the most basic demonstrations. It's pretty hard to find a more basic example than the series response of a crystal.

First shot is just 50 Ohm BNC cables with Tees and terminators at the scope input sweeping from 100 Hz to 25 MHz

The second is the response of a 40 MHz 3rd overtone xtal sweeping from 6-25 MHz

The 3rd is the parameters for the xtal pass.  Note it's all of 56 points.  The plots are all at the maximum resolution.

If you reduce the span it just gives you shorter traces on the same display.

It's so poorly done I'm not going to bother comparing it to the VNWA 3E.  I'm going to reinstall 1.32 as the SA demo was somewhat useful and they have removed or disabled that on the MSO line.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 10:23:26 am »
Here is Siglent plot.

And first, it is not at all perfect. Far away from perfect. Useability and visual ergonomy need lot of finishing. Colors, lay-out and some adjustments need some work for more sohistivated useability. But it is first FW where is BodePlot.
Also, SDS1000X-E series do not have internal signal generator. Signal generator is external and it is automatically controlled via USB and SDG do not need even touch at all, exept turn it on. Bode Plot function control it automatically. 
For this I did not use SDS1104X-E optional external AWG model. In this playing I use SDG1032X-h.
DUT was random  14.2MHz (damaged) filter where pass band was out of order and highly attenuated.

in other image there is also data table open (501 data points) and bit different center freq and span adjusment.
Other image without data table and span 25kHz and center 14195kHz

In this case scales are linear. They can be also log and also vertical can use dBm  with user adjustable DUT impedance.

It is strange that chinese GoodWill max resolution is around 50 (Siglent 500) and very strange is this display GW plot trace scaling. (Or is it user error?)
But also Keyshit BP resolution is total shame if it really is 10pts/decade max. Really - per decade - for what?
How many points is here if calculate points/decade. 14MHz center, span 25kHz and this 25kHz have 500 points.
How are these GW data points defined. Always bit over 50 points for used span and or for display width or what?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:26:04 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 10:33:55 am »
According the GW Instek's info the FRA function is there to compete with Keysight's DSOX1000 so I'm not surprised that it isn't that sophisticated. Using it on an RC network or an amplifier will probably yield more useful results.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:36:40 am by nctnico »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 10:37:05 am »
According the GW Instek's info the FRA function is there to compete with Keysight's DSOX1000.

Only for this? Not for use as tool?
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 10:43:09 am »
According the GW Instek's info the FRA function is there to compete with Keysight's DSOX1000.

ahah good one!
Technical Support

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 10:52:18 am »
It depends on what you want to use it for. If the goal is to look at amplifiers and RC networks then it will work just fine. For things like looking at resonances you'll need more dynamic range anyway. You have to be careful not to want too much from an oscilloscope which is inherently limited by a small dynamic range compared to a spectrum analyser and/or network analyser.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 10:54:50 am »

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 04:22:49 pm »
The problem is the FRA interface which insists on using a logarithmic X axis and does not match the window to  the length of the data. This where having the ability to program and modify apps for the instrument would make a huge difference whether Instek made their version open source or not.  Though, if it were open source, I'd have fixed it  within  day or two at at most.

The AWG has the ability to generate signals with offsets.  So judicious use of DSO and AWG settings can substantially improve the sampling quality beyond the 8 bits ADC.  All of this should be scriptable using SCPI commands.  So doing it on the scope should be a standard feature.

As a standard user interface feature, the user should be able to select a SCPI script from a USB drive or from internal flash and run it.  It would be preferable to have the Lua framework that Instek uses as an official product feature, but once one has the ability to program the instrument, lots of things are possible.

Offline maex

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 06:07:22 pm »
Here is a Bode Plot from my Micsig DP10013:

the first with x50 the second with x500

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 10:27:47 pm »

Here is a Bode Plot from my Micsig DP10013:

Hi maex

Nice plot.

Can you explain your testing configuration (scope model , AWG)?

Micsig DP10013 is only Differential Probe and you probably didn't upgrade
GW Instek Software/Firmware to Micsig scope firmware? Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:30:14 pm by rigol52 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf