Author Topic: GW Instek GDM-8251A strange behavior. No zero at mV & Ohm.  (Read 2569 times)

Offline StepsTopic starter

• Contributor
GW Instek GDM-8251A strange behavior. No zero at mV & Ohm.
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:51:07 am »
Dear colleagues
I have GW Instek GDM-8251A which has strange behavior. Last 3 digits are crazy blinking at lower range of DCV and Ohm. And it not going to zero when short the leads, still blinking. So resistance of 1.5 ohm is not possible to measure. Is it hardware (dried caps, dying op amps) or software problem (calibration)? Can anybody advise or had such experience? Video I'll do later.
Sergey

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Steps

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
Re: GW Instek GDM-8251A strange behavior. No zero at mV & Ohm.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:35:40 am »
I have a GDM-8251A also, I regard it as a poor quality instrument, poor accuracy and somewhat flakey. Forget using 2 wire measurement for resistance, forget about measurement repeatability. This should be a really good meter but I have to say that as my first experience with the GW Instek brand it left me cold. It sits on the shelf unused.

The following users thanked this post: Steps

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:55:29 am »
Forget using 2 wire measurement for resistance, forget about measurement repeatability.

Did you try changing the probes?

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 11:32:06 am »
Forget using 2 wire measurement for resistance, forget about measurement repeatability.

Did you try changing the probes?

Yes, and the normal probes that I used with it are Fluke probes. I don’t know what it is with that meter, maybe I got a bad one, who knows?

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 02:59:42 pm »
I'd ask support about this problem. Esp. if you bought it new and it was like that from the beginning.

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 05:53:00 pm »
Hi Steps,
I own the same meter...and Yes, I've experienced this. Yes i think its pretty much normal.. 

but first, lets make sure your meter is ok....you can do this by using a very short piece of wire to short the input. if it becomes relatively stable, then, your meter is not doing anything unusual.

i found that some leads, at low resistance, will vary widely with just the slightest movement of the wire, and being high impedance, it picks up nose quite easily.  If your making low voltage and low resistance measurements accurately can be a challenge ...voltage measurements that low, consider using leads that are shielded. 

for low resistance..i've assumed that because the leads are stranded, that simply by moving the leads the overall resistance can change slightly. I've set up testing rigs to make sure noting mvoes when doing low resistance measurements. ... though I find using an old-fashioned whetstone bridge a much more accurate way to measure very low resistances.

as far as offsets go, there is a rel function on the meter. that's how i deal with the resistance offsets.

unconnected, yea the reading jumps wildly, though this is something i have observed with many meters.

i can get my shorted voltage to read 0.0000 when i am using shielded leads with a banana to bnc adapter, and ensuring the bnc shield is on the ground side.  pamona makes the banana to BNC adapter i use.  This also helps with low resistance stability, however, the resistance of my coax leads is much higher than my standard test leads.

also, there is a filter feature, which averages over x number of samples. this is also a good feature to make use of.  unless you are running off a lead acid cell, there is noise on most DC lines, and with the fast sampling rate of the meter, its gonna pick up varying voltages.  the filter feature smooths those out.  it doesn't do that automatically as they have no idea of your need, most of the time though, for normal measurements, you want the filter on.

hope that helps some... if you need more details, i can make a video or take some pictures.

Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

The following users thanked this post: fpliuzzi, 001, Steps, Synthtech

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 10:59:23 pm »
I've also got a GDM-8251A and have not had any problems with it. How exactly are you measuring a short? Touching the probe tips together, or using a proper, quality short wire, directly from one input to the other (or even better a real short)? I can get results similar to what you report using several of my probe sets and just trying to touch their tips together.

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 12:12:51 pm »
I really appreciate everybody for the replies!
So, yes. My case quite same like in the linked thread above, I guess.
I played with settings - changed "filter" from 10 to 03, "delay" from 10 to 150. At Least it gave more "stable" readings.
Yes, I believe for low resistance measurements better to use detached device like milliohm meter or bridge.  :bullshit:

https://youtu.be/TimnOsGB7U4
Sergey

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 12:46:19 pm »
Yes, I believe for low resistance measurements better to use detached device like milliohm meter or bridge.  :bullshit:

What about 4-wire measurements? (haven't seen the video yet, sorry if this was discussed in it)

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 01:03:41 pm »
What about 4-wire measurements? (haven't seen the video yet, sorry if this was discussed in it)

I do not have proper 4w probes (calvin crocs with interconnection in the end). I have one, but it's not proper enough. I'll try to do video, anyway.
Sergey

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 12:25:53 am »
Dear colleagues
I have GW Instek GDM-8251A which has strange behavior. Last 3 digits are crazy blinking at lower range of DCV and Ohm. And it not going to zero when short the leads, still blinking. So resistance of 1.5 ohm is not possible to measure. Is it hardware (dried caps, dying op amps) or software problem (calibration)? Can anybody advise or had such experience? Video I'll do later.

I have no trouble measuring a 1R1 resistor with mine.  With a shorting bar of unknown quality, the meter shows between .072 and .077\$\Omega\$.  Shorting my Kelvin clips in 4W reads between .012-.015\$\Omega\$.  Shorting a set of Brymen gold plated leads shows .154-.156\$\Omega\$.  Measuring a 1R1 resistor with the Brymen leads reads a solid 1.251\$\Omega\$, no fluctuations.  I didn't check DCV.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Steps, Synthtech

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 10:09:43 am »
I prepared video with measuring of various resistors by the subject.
So, probably, my adjustments of delay and filter done the trick or electromagnetic fields had high intensity in first case. But now behavior looks like ok.

https://youtu.be/R6PcMUg9mlM
Sergey

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 10:39:49 am »
I prepared video with measuring of various resistors by the subject.
So, probably, my adjustments of delay and filter done the trick or electromagnetic fields had high intensity in first case. But now behavior looks like ok.

https://youtu.be/R6PcMUg9mlM

I just watched first part of the video  without sound, but immediately see a major problem: your setup is not a proper Kelvin connection. You can't do sub-ohm measurement with your arrangement.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 10:48:59 am »
I do not have proper 4w probes (calvin crocs with interconnection in the end). I have one, but it's not proper enough. I'll try to do video, anyway.
Yes, it's just ordinary probe ends connected by 4 stackable wires. I do not have Kelvin crocodiles yet, I will do it by myself.
But it looks like working.
Sergey

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 09:15:37 pm »
Another potential issue I notice is you turn on the meter and immediately start making measurements. It can take 30 minutes to several hours for meters to warm-up and stabilize. I know on my GDM-8251A, all measurements drift some within the first 30 minutes. If you really want to make sure its behaving as it should you should give it a minimum 30 minutes to warm up before you start checking it.

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 09:26:41 pm »
Another potential issue I notice is you turn on the meter and immediately start making measurements. It can take 30 minutes to several hours for meters to warm-up and stabilize. I know on my GDM-8251A, all measurements drift some within the first 30 minutes. If you really want to make sure its behaving as it should you should give it a minimum 30 minutes to warm up before you start checking it.

I agree, the GW takes an especially long time to stabilise after turn-on, 30 min warm-up is a good idea. Mine is sitting on the shelf above a 34401A so I rarely turn it on, it’s mostly unused, I treat it like the bench version of a $60.00 hand-held meter - I only use it when I have to and I don’t particularly trust it, it disagrees with the Keysight by too great a margin.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf