Author Topic: GWInstek GDM 8251A, Is anybody using it to collect data?  (Read 1774 times)

Online JPorticiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
GWInstek GDM 8251A, Is anybody using it to collect data?
« on: October 21, 2018, 12:16:35 am »
Hi, i have one of these bench multimeters. I'd like to connect it to my pc so i can log data and plot trends, but i'm not sure how to proceed.

The meter itself has both RS232 and an USB port for communication (that i think is used as a CDC device)
but the guys at GWI had probably one too many when designing the computer interface...
- The RS232 port is a Male Type. I would have expected a female type, because all USB-232 cords i could find have a male plug, and IIRC my old computers with a serial port were always a male port.
- For some reason they decided to put a dual type A receptacle (one is used for calibration, insert the calibration key) and the other is for communication.. the meter is using a Type A port as a Device. Strange.

So, what do i need to connect the meter to my computer? I have a USB-232 but as i said the plug is a male type. Soo... female-female plug? open the meter, desolder the 232 male port and solder in a 232 female port? a type a - type a cable?

Then , what software do you use to collect data? i was able to find the "official" software DMM-Viewer: http://59.120.26.36/en/download/downloadfilelist.aspx?id=196

Sigrok doesn't support the meter according to the wiki

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: GWInstek GDM 8251A, Is anybody using it to collect data?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 12:19:57 am »
The RS232 port is the same type as the one on the venerable 34401A. It's not very unusual and probably even the reason for that port to be on the GW-Instek.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 11:52:58 am »
In general when dealing with RS232 ports you'll need a straight wired (1 to 1) between male / female and a crossed (NULL modem) cable between male / male.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 07:54:21 am »
In general when dealing with RS232 ports you'll need a straight wired (1 to 1) between male / female and a crossed (NULL modem) cable between male / male.

But it's RS232, so good luck.

Picking up a breakout with LEDs can be particularly handy for figuring out the exceptions.

I've taken to carrying DB9->RJ45 adapters intended for data networking, as well as a rollover RJ45->RJ45 (pin1->8, 2->7, etc.) combined with a normal Cisco console cable, and a USB-Serial I trust, with that combo I can talk to the vast majority of kit out there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf