Author Topic: GWInstek MSO-2xxx: Anyone have one?  (Read 2226 times)

Online TimNJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
GWInstek MSO-2xxx: Anyone have one?
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:54:35 pm »
Hi all,

I think it's probably time I move on from my Tek 465M as my primary scope, as lovely as it is.

I've been intrigued by the GWInstek MSO-2014EA for a while. 100MHz, 4 channels, 16 channel logic analyzer, dual channel 25MHz AFG, $1,350. GWInstek raves about the built in spectrum analyzer in their MDO line, and I believe the MSO line has the same spectrum analyzer specifications/features.

Has anyone used any of these newer scopes? MSO or MDO? If so, any opinions on them?

Thanks.

https://www.tequipment.net/Instek/MSO-2104EA/Mixed-Signal-Oscilloscopes-(MSO)/

Offline SWR

• Regular Contributor
  • Without engineering science is just philosophy.
Re: GWInstek MSO-2xxx: Anyone have one?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 01:04:15 pm »
I've got the MDO-2204EX with the SA you mention, and it is really high resolution and high update rate. Even with 1Mpt FFT resolution you get two digit FPS update rates, so I'll have to agree with the advertizing material - It is really really fast and high resolution.  :-+

Another cool feature is that you can adjust the display in the frequency domain exactly like I do on my SSA3021X. It's a big convenience factor that you don't have to switch to time domain and adjust the resolution indirectly by changing the timebase. You can set Centre, Span, Start and Stop frequencies so it's quick to zoom into areas of interest.

The auto measurement function is also nice to work with. You can define the size of a peek table and it will automatically show the amplitude of the number of highest peaks you selected and mark them on the trace with real time updates.

All in all I think these scopes are incredible value for money. I have replaced a $20K LabView NI rack with this $2K multiscope for desktop and fault insertion testing. The LabView driver is really simple to get running. It's also nice to use for manual measurements. I've even bought two for work because I prefer them over the Keysight 3000 scopes we normally use. It's been a really positive experience so far (for me at least ... YMMV!).
You should never go down on equipment!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 03:09:17 am »
Hey. Thanks for the reply. I have another thread related to GWInstek scopes here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/which-scope-manufacturer-provides-the-best-user-experience/50/

I decided to go with the GDS-2074E. Decided against the MDO/MSO line, after decided I didn't need the spectrum analysis capability. Though, I did want it. We'll see if I regret buying the GDS instead of the MDO somewhere down the line.

And note to anyone else reading this: MSO line does not have advanced SA features. MDO line only.

Offline SWR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 03:45:39 pm »
You chose a very good instrument with solid performance and an easy user interface.
Congratulation and good luck with it. :D

The following users thanked this post: TimNJ

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 07:49:43 pm »
Well, I have an MSO2204EA running V1.34.  It *does* have the SA function, but when I mentioned it to Instek, they removed it in 1.35. It was part of a demo for the MDO line, but I discovered I could break out of the demo and use it.   But it will only work if the unit has the AWG.

Now I have an HP 8560A w/ TG and an MSOX3104T.  The fate of the Instek is at present unknown.

Offline SWR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 06:19:49 am »
... but when I mentioned it to Instek, they removed it in 1.35.
Strange that they would intentionally cripple the MSO line functionality when it most likely has the same hardware as the MDO line.
That's not in line with their policy of enabling all SW options on the MSO/MDO line of scopes.  :-//

We also use the MSOX3K line at work, but I like the MDO scope better (even though it's only 20% of the MSOX price here in Denmark).

Offline rfdes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 10:49:09 am »
Interesting - I don't see a version 1.35 for the MSO scope2 on the GW website, only ver 1.34.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 01:33:12 pm »
I'm sorry, V1.32 is the one with the SA still functional on the MSO2204EA.  V1.34 removed it.  V1.35 fixes issues in the trace math but has not been released yet.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 03:52:50 pm »
I'm sorry, V1.32 is the one with the SA still functional on the MSO2204EA.  V1.34 removed it.  V1.35 fixes issues in the trace math but has not been released yet.

Thanks! How'd you get an early release!?

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 08:44:02 pm »
I reported the bug.  I really need to do some more testing of it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 02:17:48 am »
I reported the bug.  I really need to do some more testing of it.

Gotcha.

Just checked. v1.35 was released today. Are the highlighted lines what you are referring to? No mention of serial decode improvements.

Version 1.35
1.Added FRA function menu tree in simplified Chinese.
2.Added FRA function menu tree in Russian.
3.Added FRA function menu tree in Spanish.
4.The CSV format is now supported for AWG ¡¥s Arbitrary Waveform editing which format can only cooperated with the ¡§AFG Arbitrary Waveform PC Software¡¨
5.Fixed the REF waveform operating issue of interpolation mode for math function.
6.Revised the storage results of average waveform for interpolation mode

7.Fixed the system locks up when the multilingual menu was setting in non-English and the ¡§HARDCOPY¡¨ button pressed.
8.Fixed the Go/NoGo Execute SCPI Command settings issue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf