Author Topic: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?  (Read 412162 times)

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Re: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?
« Reply #475 on: January 13, 2018, 09:36:55 pm »
Yes to all your questions.

Mind you that the relevant file is NSP_system_info.xml and all options are to be set to TRUE.

Offline antoniojsq

« Reply #476 on: February 01, 2018, 03:39:16 pm »

how are you friend I have a problem and is that these files do not have I have

mv NSP_sn_bandwidth.xml NSP_sn_bandwidthx.xml
mv NSP_trends_config_info.xml NSP_trends_config_infox.xml

that's why when I put the commands to put them on I do not like the rights as I do there because I do not understand that part

Offline fact

• Contributor
« Reply #477 on: February 07, 2018, 08:53:31 pm »
There might be a slight chance that I did not fully understood your message but I will give it a try.
The command is used to rename the two existing files. As you are logged in as root, there will be no issues with access rights.
If you get an error, it might be that the original files no longer exist. Use the 'ls' command to see which files exist in the directory.

Offline swixo

• Contributor
« Reply #478 on: March 03, 2018, 04:45:27 pm »
Followed grumpy's in 460 on a new machine just received.  Worked perfectly.  All licenses permanent.
(Serial number changes to xxx)

Thanks mates!

Offline chipss

• Contributor
« Reply #479 on: March 03, 2018, 07:40:12 pm »
I love this forum, I hate this forum  :scared: $$$

Offline swixo

• Contributor
« Reply #480 on: March 04, 2018, 03:08:59 am »
Yeah - that'll happen.

Offline luc-on7kz

« Reply #481 on: March 09, 2018, 07:32:50 am »
Perhaps a stupid question,
after the hack, can you go back to the original configuration??
perhaps for selling after a time as original or if there is a problem into the warranty period??

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #482 on: March 09, 2018, 09:49:45 am »
Yes,

Just put the files back or rename them to their original name.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline fact

• Contributor
« Reply #483 on: March 09, 2018, 02:24:42 pm »
After a failed firmware update I had a problem with the Dutch distributor. I was accused of hacking the analyser but there was absolutely no need to do so as I still had plenty of time in the trial licenses. They were so "generous" to fix the problem but my warranty was withdrawn. Assholes!!

It gave me the opportunity to open the analyser and unsolder the NAND and make a copy. So whoever needs a binary dump (firmware 8.3), let me know.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #484 on: March 09, 2018, 07:26:13 pm »
After a failed firmware update I had a problem with the Dutch distributor. I was accused of hacking the analyser but there was absolutely no need to do so as I still had plenty of time in the trial licenses. They were so "generous" to fix the problem but my warranty was withdrawn. Assholes!!

It gave me the opportunity to open the analyser and unsolder the NAND and make a copy. So whoever needs a binary dump (firmware 8.3), let me know.
OK so you have 8.3, which version were you trying to upgrade to ?

Throughout the firmware releases there have been versions that one must update to first before proceeding to the next. Did you miss one of these steps to have a failed update ?
If so your distributor should have known about that and just installed FW in the proper steps.
Certainly no reason to withdraw warranty.  :-//

Is there more info you can give us ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline fact

• Contributor
« Reply #485 on: March 10, 2018, 07:06:52 pm »
The analyser came with 8.1 and, after using it for some time with no problems, I tried updating to 8.2. The update failed with the screen remaining blank, no Siglent screen, after rebooting.
The analyser came back from the Siglent distributor with 8.3 installed as this version was available in the meantime. I then opened the machine since the warranty was gone anyway and copied the NAND. Then burned a fresh NAND and to test my copy re-soldered the freshly burned NAND. Worked fine and let itself upgrade to 8.5a. Happy for now.

Somewhere in the future I will probably try to go back to 7.7 to create a future proof upgrade path and investigate the upgrade steps to 8,x and see what license re-calculations take place.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline lz1pro

« Reply #486 on: March 11, 2018, 07:49:42 am »
The only need to go back to version 8.1 and replace license files form 7.7. Reboot and system  will generate new license files whit serial numbers for all options.
Good luck.

Offline onesty

« Reply #487 on: March 12, 2018, 09:09:50 pm »
File not found.  :(. Anyone have an archive copy?

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #488 on: March 16, 2018, 05:23:16 pm »
I read the whole thread but I am not really sure about the following (you all know these large threads where, at the end, you never can be sure). So I would like you for some guidance before I make a mistake.

I have a SSA3000x with firmware 1.2.7.7
It was hacked 1.5 years ago by changing the NSP_system_info.xml  :-+
Now I would like to upgrade to the latest firmware which is 1.2.8.5

Can I just upgrade from 7.7 to 8.5?
Will my (hacked) options stay and also my serial number?

Thank you!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #489 on: March 16, 2018, 07:49:50 pm »
No.
There's some mandatory steps to get to the latest firmware.
This give guidance on them all:
https://www.siglentamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/02/SSA3000X-Firmware-Revise-History.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Pinkus

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #490 on: March 16, 2018, 08:04:08 pm »
I read the whole thread but I am not really sure about the following (you all know these large threads where, at the end, you never can be sure). So I would like you for some guidance before I make a mistake.

I have a SSA3000x with firmware 1.2.7.7
It was hacked 1.5 years ago by changing the NSP_system_info.xml  :-+
Now I would like to upgrade to the latest firmware which is 1.2.8.5

Will my (hacked) options stay and also my serial number?

Thank you!

From 7.7 (modified or not) can not upgrade directly to 8.5.
There is only one FW version what can do update from old 7.7.  This version is 1.2.8.1
This version can produce licenses and model keys what are used in 8.x versions (this  system was not at all in 7.x versions.)
After 1.2.8.1 update succesfull then can update later 8.x versions.

Look carefully how 7.7 is modified before update to 8.1. so that it can produce all license keys for options and model what are currently in use when it is running 7.7 version. Look if your model (system info screen) read 3032X and all options are listed as "permanent".
After 8.1 can not go back to 7.7 version (or yes can using some special method what I do not recommend for avoid possible problems)
After all is ok take copy to usb these important files what include these license keys etc. Only siglent can do these if you loose them. Of course in 8.x versions there is other method for modify, but 7.7 to 8.1 step can produce these official keys. So do not loose this possibility because you have it due to fact that you are still in 7.7 ;)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:09:23 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: Pinkus

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #491 on: March 16, 2018, 10:49:54 pm »
Thank you for the advise.
I attached a screenshot of my system screen.
What I see there is serial number, all options permanent, and SSA3032x.
If I understand you correctly I know shall
1) do an update to 1.2.8.1
2) make a backup
3) update to 1.2.8.5a

I will try this tomorrow.

P.S.
My NSP_system_info does not contains all the False entries anymore (e.g. <_3018>FALSE</_3018>). Is this a problem? The current XML is shown below.

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<nsp_system_info_root>
  <device>
    <system_information>
      <serial_number>
        <chip>SSA3XHA1234567</chip>
      </serial_number>
    <license><_3032>TRUE</_3032><_tTG>TRUE</_tTG><_tEMI>TRUE</_tEMI><_tMeas>TRUE</_tMeas><_tCAT>TRUE</_tCAT><_t1HZ>TRUE</_t1HZ><_t3M>TRUE</_t3M></license></system_information>
  </device>
</nsp_system_info_root>
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:07:38 pm by Pinkus »

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #492 on: March 17, 2018, 01:24:40 pm »
one last question before I start. I also used the werewolf mode (setting the system date back) before the hack was known. I removed the monster file back then. Am I right, there is nothing more to do?

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #493 on: March 17, 2018, 01:51:04 pm »
Pinkus -

please make sure the lower case "t" in the license line are removed. This designates the test / temporary licenses and won't enable the permanent ones. The line should rather look like this:

<license><_3032>TRUE</_3032><_3021>FALSE</_3021><_TG>TRUE</_TG><_EMI>TRUE</_EMI><_Meas>TRUE</_Meas><_CAT>TRUE</_CAT></license></system_information>

Otherwise, the hack should work like this.

Good luck,
Thomas

The following users thanked this post: Pinkus, wolfy007

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #494 on: March 17, 2018, 01:59:54 pm »
uh uh - what a trap.
I am glad you saved me from some trouble Thomas!
Thanks!

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: March 17, 2018, 04:19:32 pm »
Pinkus -

please make sure the lower case "t" in the license line are removed. This designates the test / temporary licenses and won't enable the permanent ones. The line should rather look like this:

<license><_3032>TRUE</_3032><_3021>FALSE</_3021><_TG>TRUE</_TG><_EMI>TRUE</_EMI><_Meas>TRUE</_Meas><_CAT>TRUE</_CAT></license></system_information>

Otherwise, the hack should work like this.

Good luck,
Thomas

This is the case when the forum has experts and accurate eyes.
It was a very good and careful accurate observation - worth a thousand points!

:-+ :clap:
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #496 on: March 17, 2018, 04:30:21 pm »
Just to reassure:
What I now see in Thomas license code, that the entries for 1 Hz and 3 Mhz RBW which were working in 7.07 are gone. In 7.07 there was <_1HZ>TRUE</_1HZ><_3M>TRUE</_3M>
I read in this thread, that 1 Hz and 3 Mhz RBW are not available anymore starting from FW 8.1 so I just should delete this now before updating? Would it hurt to keep it?
From FW 8.5 the 1 Hz will be back anyway, am I correct?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:33:12 pm by Pinkus »

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #497 on: March 17, 2018, 04:33:37 pm »
Doesn't matter if you keep them or not. But they will not be producing extra serial numbers.

Also, with the "t" options: you can keep them, as long as you have the non-"t" options, too.

Here is the complete string I used and that gives you the maximum licenses, available:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<nsp_system_info_root>
  <device>
    <system_information>
      <serial_number>
        <chip>SSA3Xxxxxxxxxx</chip>
      </serial_number>
    <license><_3032>TRUE</_3032><_3021>FALSE</_3021><_tTG>TRUE</_tTG><_tEMI>TRUE</_tEMI><_tMeas>TRUE</_tMeas><_tCAT>TRUE</_tCAT><_t1HZ>TRUE</_t1HZ><_TG>TRUE</_TG><_EMI>TRUE</_EMI><_Meas>TRUE</_Meas><_CAT>TRUE</_CAT><_1HZ>TRUE</_1HZ><_3M>TRUE</_3M></license></system_information>
  </device>
</nsp_system_info_root>

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #498 on: March 17, 2018, 05:45:28 pm »
Just to reassure:
What I now see in Thomas license code, that the entries for 1 Hz and 3 Mhz RBW which were working in 7.07 are gone. In 7.07 there was <_1HZ>TRUE</_1HZ><_3M>TRUE</_3M>
I read in this thread, that 1 Hz and 3 Mhz RBW are not available anymore starting from FW 8.1 so I just should delete this now before updating? Would it hurt to keep it?

Yes. Siglent activated 3 and 1Hz  8.5. But not 3MHz

Of course after you have made this all right way and system have generated all official license keys you can after then use also other (possible in FW 8.x) modification what do not care anything your model and option licenses and you get same 3.2GHz and all options functional + 3MHz unspecified experimental grade RBW available

So, if you make it right way you can then when ever turn it back to "official" mode and you have there official options license keys and official 3.2GHz model license,  only what is different to official is front panel label.
But also now in this case, you do not have  2.1GHz version license. If you want (some reason, example sending it to Siglent service) turn it to official mode, matching also with front panel label 3021X you can not -  due to lack of 3021X model license! (so think what license/product key you want - you can get only one.)

At this point when you still are with FW7.7 you can carefully think what license you want and is wise but also it need think that some day Siglent may change system and mods dop not work. If you have official 3032X license there... you know future FW also keep it as 3032X. If you have there 3021X license future FW sure keep it as 3021X and here you can run it with super mode mod and it works like 3032X as long as Siglent do not destroy this (and markets) in some future FW.

You can now in 7.7 select which one you want and is more wise for you. Later in FW 8.x (least with FW8.5a what is most new at this time) you can modify it so that it do not care these licenses at all and it works like 3.2G and all options on and including also experimental RBW 3MHz. But as told this "feature" Siglent can stop in some future FW if they want. But if you have all official licenses for all options and product key for 3032X it stay. Only situation when these are generated is process what is running once when system is updating from 7.x to 8.1.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:23:52 pm by rf-loop »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #499 on: March 17, 2018, 06:30:11 pm »
Just to reassure:

Yes because after 7.7 to 8.1 you do not now have (yet) modified it to "super mode" what opens all RBW's including also experimental 3MHz.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf