Author Topic: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?  (Read 407804 times)

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?
« Reply #575 on: November 26, 2018, 09:09:08 pm »
Is this message still valid to upgrade vers. HW 7.03 ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hack-of-sigllent-spectrum-analyzer-ssa3021x/msg998366/#msg998366
Any hint?

Be careful!

You have HW 7.03 but that msg refers to FW 7.07.  You now have what we could call FW 9.02a. Study the rest of the thread.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #576 on: November 26, 2018, 09:43:44 pm »
Hi,
Sorry for my newbie question, but it's the first time I connect a device to pc through the Ethernet port.
I have an SSA3021X with the following config:
SW1: 1.2.8.5a
SW2: 20170512-1
SW3: 000000D1
HW  : 07.03.00

What am I doing wrong?  ???
thnx
Welcome to the forum.

I strongly suggest that you get your firmware up to date to the current version: V1.2.9.2a
All the later FW versions are here:
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/spectrum-analyzers/#ssa3000x-series

Each version comes with a changelog file and installation instructions.

Hopefully that will fix any connectivity issues you have.

BTW, this is the main thread for these spectrum analyzers:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/

Thanks, it was easy to upgrade to the latest version.

My crossover suggestion was based on the " both LEDs are lit (green and orange)". I assumed solid lit.

There is so many kind of lights..  example my PC redorange is constant and yelloworange is blinking when trafic and SSA green continuously and yelloworange blinking when trafic. There is not tight standards for these lights. In some cases led color also tell speed... 10/100 or 1000

But how ever I will recommend class C network in this case.
Class C IP addresses range from 192.0.0.x to 223.255.255.x.
Default subnet mask for Class C is 255.255.255.x

@pri:

One example:

Download puttytel.exe  (select right version for you) here https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

It do not need any kind of installation, just run

But first:
This is only for direct connection so that PC LAN port --- cable --- SSA LAN port

Set your PC LAN and SSA as in images and run puttytel.exe and enter address as in image and open it and you see puttytel console as in image. If not then your LAN do not work.  Check that your PC do not restrict this communication or if your cable is ok. Sidenote, in this case this default gateway is just dummy... but some systems are happy if there is something and also in some other cases subnet IP address range bottom is nice to use for this.

Images do not need explanation and perhaps if these are clear for you still they may help some other peoples.
(of course there can use more common 192.168..etc what are many equipments "default" but example my system have some other things also so 222 sure do not make collision...

Just like 1, 2, 3, 4,....  and then enter what need...

(you can set puttytel (telnet client) so that it do not forget every time all and also good practice is set it so that it keep log about all what have done with console so that if something goes wrong you can inspect log.... or show log to some other people if need some help)

rf-loop NUMBER ONE!!!
kudos to you!!
It worked as you suggested!

Is this message still valid to upgrade vers. HW 7.03 ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hack-of-sigllent-spectrum-analyzer-ssa3021x/msg998366/#msg998366
Any hint?

Thanks!  :-+

This info  is old!  ETA: (now I can see also @tv84 msg   ;)  )

You have lot of more new FW. Use more fresh info.

Example this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hack-of-sigllent-spectrum-analyzer-ssa3021x/msg1132969/#msg1132969  look  "attached instructions"
But also after then later in thread you may find some bit more fresh info. (but still you can use this V05 as some kind of basic info.
Your SSA is much more new and there have not been installed older very different FW so there is perhaps not all files what are displayed in instrictions V05. They are perhaps some residues from older generation FW.

But, this instruction v05  is overall roughly ok  if you can detect what tiny differences there is (some obsolete files what are not there anymore when you look using ls command in your SSA. One reason is that  today all new SSA's have never updated from very old totally obsolete "generation 7 FW". All are generation 8 FW or later.  (also older SSA's are mostly HW version 07.03.00 and this 7 have nothing to do with this) So if there is some files what your system do not have, then just do not care these files.  Soon you find what is idea...
For commands, copypaste is your friend...

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:44:56 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline miceuz

• Frequent Contributor
    • chirp - a soil moisture meter / plant watering alarm
« Reply #577 on: December 13, 2018, 02:07:22 pm »
Hi all,

I have got my new SSA3021X. Unfortunately it's a new firmware that has not been referenced anywhere before in hacking threads.

SW1: 1.2.9.a
SW2: 20180708-1
SW3: 000000E1
HW:  0C.03.00

It has a different from previous versions file set:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           425 Dec 13 21:53 NSP_sn_bandwidth.xml
-rw-rw-rw-    1 1000     1000           606 Aug  9 06:17 NSP_trends_config_info.xml
drwxrwxrwx    2 1000     1000          4392 Oct 17 15:07 calib
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           480 Dec 13 21:53 nsp_data_b

Contents of NSP_sn_bandwidth.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<sn_bw_root>
  <serial_number>
    <chip>SSA3XLBD2R1093</chip>
  </serial_number>
<license><_3021><lic>qp3jq3tm8hmyv4p2</lic></_3021><_TG><lic>zvj63iatp4enm6pn</lic></_TG><_tEMI><lic>gymq7rs258awp984</lic><remain>2810</remain></_tEMI><_tMeas><lic>st6ef9vw9q34pv6p</lic><r
emain>2810</remain></_tMeas><_tCAT><lic>cm2b22hhmi7kpui7</lic><remain>2810</remain></_tCAT></license></sn_bw_root>

contents of NSP_trends_config_info.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<nsp_trends_info_root>
      <device>
              <language>english</language>
              <pid>0x1300</pid>
              <vid>0xf4ec</vid>
              <product_type_1>SSA3032X</product_type_1>
              <product_type_2>SSA3030X</product_type_2>
              <product_type_3>SSA3021X</product_type_3>
              <product_type_4>SSA3018X</product_type_4>
              <product_type_5>SSA3015X</product_type_5>
              <product_type_6>SSA3010X</product_type_6>
              <manufacturer>Siglent</manufacturer>
              <Support_Touch_Flag>0</Support_Touch_Flag>     
              <Support_VXI11_Flag>1</Support_VXI11_Flag>
              <file_prefix>SSA_</file_prefix>
      </device>
</nsp_trends_info_root>

Does anyone have experience with this version? Can I mock around with these files and avoid bricking the device?

I have found one suggestion referencing file NSP_sn_bandwidth.xml: http://www.sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k4bq3evsktigvsbiljac9r6ni2&topic=58738.msg189056#msg189056

Basically it says to rename the files.

Offline miceuz

• Frequent Contributor
    • chirp - a soil moisture meter / plant watering alarm
« Reply #578 on: December 13, 2018, 04:18:17 pm »
Sorry for the noise in the old thread, I can confirm that hack renaming files works on FW 1.2.9.a

The following users thanked this post: videobruce

Offline Dread

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #579 on: December 28, 2018, 01:41:01 am »
I just ordered a 3021X and I am wading waist deep through this thread while waiting for it to arrive :scared:
I see a reference in the previous post to renaming the files for FW 1.2.9a and it works.  Can someone point me to that post as I have not seen it yet and has it worked for other people?

Also is the serial number issue been fixed or does it still disappear?

Thanks for any help.
The Optimist says the glass is half full, the Pessimist says its half empty, an engineer only see's a glass that’s twice as big as it needs to be!

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #580 on: December 28, 2018, 04:17:51 am »
I finally got around to "upgrading" my SSA3021X today.  FW version 1.2.9.2a.  Everything went well.

I then attached an antenna to the RF input, plugged in my headphones, hit the "Demod" button, and used my very expensive FM radio to listen to the NPR newscast (US national public radio).  8)

Offline pri

« Reply #581 on: December 30, 2018, 09:40:20 am »
This info  is old!  ETA: (now I can see also @tv84 msg   ;)  )

You have lot of more new FW. Use more fresh info.

Example this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hack-of-sigllent-spectrum-analyzer-ssa3021x/msg1132969/#msg1132969  look  "attached instructions"
But also after then later in thread you may find some bit more fresh info. (but still you can use this V05 as some kind of basic info.
Your SSA is much more new and there have not been installed older very different FW so there is perhaps not all files what are displayed in instrictions V05. They are perhaps some residues from older generation FW.

But, this instruction v05  is overall roughly ok  if you can detect what tiny differences there is (some obsolete files what are not there anymore when you look using ls command in your SSA. One reason is that  today all new SSA's have never updated from very old totally obsolete "generation 7 FW". All are generation 8 FW or later.  (also older SSA's are mostly HW version 07.03.00 and this 7 have nothing to do with this) So if there is some files what your system do not have, then just do not care these files.  Soon you find what is idea...
For commands, copypaste is your friend...

Finally I could do the hack following V05.
Now it's a 3.2GHz unit, no serial, options ALL permanent.
No 1Hz RBW though, my limit is still 10Hz.

Was anyone able to add the 1Hz on the new 1.2.9.2a firmware?

Offline rfspezi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #582 on: December 31, 2018, 10:29:12 am »

I am on 1.2.9.1 and don't get a valid measurement at 1Hz RBW either.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:31:42 am by rfspezi »

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #583 on: December 31, 2018, 02:14:11 pm »

I am also on 1.2.9.1 but at 1Hz RBW the unit is very very slow and the noise floor becomes a flat line
and the measurement is not reliable either. Even before the hack when it did have the official promotional licence for a while (before it expired)
the 1Hz RBW was the same, useless. Even the 3Hz is not working properly. Basically I can only use >=10Hz so you are not missing anything!

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #584 on: December 31, 2018, 03:28:01 pm »

I am also on 1.2.9.1 but at 1Hz RBW the unit is very very slow and the noise floor becomes a flat line
and the measurement is not reliable either. Even before the hack when it did have the official promotional licence for a while (before it expired)
the 1Hz RBW was the same, useless. Even the 3Hz is not working properly. Basically I can only use >=10Hz so you are not missing anything!

Slow, yes it is. Here can find math.
https://www.siglenteu.com/application-note/spectrum-analyzer-basics-bandwidth/

Also if it helps there is available HP/Agilent/Keysight AN-150 for further readings.
http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5952-0292.pdf

It is true that specially 1Hz RBW in Siglent this model have some limits and these are not specified. Originally there was not at all 1Hz and 3Hz RBW.  Some time later they give these free to all users for use. But there is some things based to hardware. (Imho, there are not enough "bits" in ADC and perhaps  ADC autoranging have some limiting factors in HW??. I suspect it have something to do with this. So, it can not "pull up" if there is not enough signal level. Some tiny possible indirect tip in Keysight AN-150 page 38 figure 3-3  )

Is it useless... no it is not. But user need understand some limits.

Here tiny examples SSA3021X (mod32X). Yes and FW is 1.2.9.2a   

Who can say it is useless when look these images. Carrier 118.7MHz, -30dBm, AM mod with 20Hz sine and modulation depth 2% (LSB and USB  -40dBc)

1Hz RBW and for compare same with 10Hz RBW 
(span 600Hz (2x minimum block, it is hopping 300Hz blocks in this case))

RBW10Hz

RBW 1Hz
Useless, really?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:32:35 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #585 on: December 31, 2018, 05:47:51 pm »

Slow, yes it is. Here can find math.
https://www.siglenteu.com/application-note/spectrum-analyzer-basics-bandwidth/

Also if it helps there is available HP/Agilent/Keysight AN-150 for further readings.
http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5952-0292.pdf

It is true that specially 1Hz RBW in Siglent this model have some limits and these are not specified. Originally there was not at all 1Hz and 3Hz RBW.  Some time later they give these free to all users for use. But there is some things based to hardware. (Imho, there are not enough "bits" in ADC and perhaps  ADC autoranging have some limiting factors in HW??. I suspect it have something to do with this. So, it can not "pull up" if there is not enough signal level. Some tiny possible indirect tip in Keysight AN-150 page 38 figure 3-3  )

Is it useless... no it is not. But user need understand some limits.

Here tiny examples SSA3021X (mod32X). Yes and FW is 1.2.9.2a   

Who can say it is useless when look these images. Carrier 118.7MHz, -30dBm, AM mod with 20Hz sine and modulation depth 2% (LSB and USB  -40dBc)

1Hz RBW and for compare same with 10Hz RBW 
(span 600Hz (2x minimum block, it is hopping 300Hz blocks in this case))

RBW10Hz

RBW 1Hz
Useless, really?

very nice example. I just replicated it with my Anritsu MG3633A. The Siglent really struggles but it comes through  :-+

Offline pe1oxp

• Regular Contributor
  • ~ Life is too short for QRP ~
« Reply #586 on: January 04, 2019, 01:15:22 pm »
Today I tried to upgrade the firmware of my SSA3021X to the newest version V1.2.9.2a.
After automatically rebooting there happens nothing, only the Siglent logo on the screen and the TG and Mode buttons are lighted.
I waited for about a hour but nothing happens. Probably the install went wrong?

Is there a way to restore?

Offline vt100

• Contributor
« Reply #587 on: January 04, 2019, 02:08:53 pm »
Try the upgrade process again. I had the same issue. I powered off my scope, re-created my USB stick, and inserted it prior to powering up the scope. I then powered up the scope and it upgraded successfully the second time.
vt100
the world's best dumb terminal

Offline pe1oxp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #588 on: January 04, 2019, 02:20:16 pm »
Try the upgrade process again. I had the same issue. I powered off my scope, re-created my USB stick, and inserted it prior to powering up the scope. I then powered up the scope and it upgraded successfully the second time.

I tried but still nothing happens.
Also no possibility to connect via LAN

Offline fact

• Contributor
« Reply #589 on: January 05, 2019, 02:16:57 pm »
Same thing happened to me.
Reflashing the root file system solved the issue. NAND flash is the problem.
To get rid of possible future problems I unsoldered the NAND chip, burnt a fresh one and soldered it back in. I experienced no problems in subsequent firmware updates.

Offline pe1oxp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #590 on: January 05, 2019, 04:28:19 pm »
Same thing happened to me.
Reflashing the root file system solved the issue. NAND flash is the problem.
To get rid of possible future problems I unsoldered the NAND chip, burnt a fresh one and soldered it back in. I experienced no problems in subsequent firmware updates.

Unfortunately no way to reflash, no connection possible.
According my supplier warranty, so I shipped it to them and will wait.

Offline fact

• Contributor
« Reply #591 on: January 05, 2019, 06:14:35 pm »
Serial connection always works, and reflash in U-Boot.

Before doing all the things I mentioned before, also sent my device in for service under warranty. Jerks in Eindhoven accused me of having hacked my analyzer which, at the time, I had not done. They revoked my warranty. That's when I could blissfully remove the sticker and fire up the hot-air station and soldering iron.

Offline Dread

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #592 on: January 12, 2019, 06:04:01 pm »
Just got my SSA3021X and Wow am I happy with it  :-+
Best bang for the buck piece of test equipment I have ever bought.

Unfortunately I also seem to have a hardware revision and the latest software.

So I am not sure any of these previous hacks will work.  If anybody tries it on the HW version please let me know.

Thanks
The Optimist says the glass is half full, the Pessimist says its half empty, an engineer only see's a glass that’s twice as big as it needs to be!

Offline yo4hfu

« Reply #593 on: January 13, 2019, 11:39:22 am »
Unit just been hacked by renaming only "NSP_sn_bandwidth.xml" files located inside of "firmdata0" and "backup" folders.
 :) 3,2GHz and all options are enabled forever.

Offline Dread

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #594 on: January 19, 2019, 08:44:51 am »
Unit just been hacked by renaming only "NSP_sn_bandwidth.xml" files located inside of "firmdata0" and "backup" folders.

Interesting, has anyone else done it this way?

Offline yo4hfu

« Reply #595 on: January 19, 2019, 06:49:35 pm »

Yes, i can confirm that. Few days ago other ham radio from EA7 succeed to hack same SSA version using above procedure.

EA7 feedback: "Already done it. Have all options with valid permanent, spans to 3.2 GHz, and RWB shows on narrow spans minimum 1 Hz, super!"

Please contact me if you have any doubt. Robert, yo4hfu
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:56:07 pm by yo4hfu »

The following users thanked this post: Dread

Offline Dread

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #596 on: January 21, 2019, 08:35:38 pm »

Yes, i can confirm that. Few days ago other ham radio from EA7 succeed to hack same SSA version using above procedure.

EA7 feedback: "Already done it. Have all options with valid permanent, spans to 3.2 GHz, and RWB shows on narrow spans minimum 1 Hz, super!"

Please contact me if you have any doubt. Robert, yo4hfu

Hey Robert I sent you an email to your Yahoo account.  Thanks for getting back to me with that information.

Offline yo4hfu

« Reply #597 on: January 21, 2019, 10:31:29 pm »
Good luck! Ask if you have something unclear.

This is my procedure (Microsoft Word .docx file). Nothing new inside, all instructions are according Eevblog forum. It is not my contribution.

73 de Robert

LE 24.01.2019
READ V05 TXT FILE BEFORE ANY HACKING ATTEMPT! Use my docx file only if you are very familiar with linux language.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:29:02 pm by yo4hfu »

The following users thanked this post: Dread

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #598 on: January 22, 2019, 02:08:45 am »
Today I tried to upgrade the firmware of my SSA3021X to the newest version V1.2.9.2a.
After automatically rebooting there happens nothing, only the Siglent logo on the screen and the TG and Mode buttons are lighted.
I waited for about a hour but nothing happens. Probably the install went wrong?

Is there a way to restore?
The exact thing happened when I tried to upgrade a couple of months ago. Fortunately my unit is under warranty and Siglent America reflashed it.

Offline Dread

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #599 on: January 23, 2019, 12:03:09 am »
Good luck! Ask if you have something unclear.

This is my procedure (Microsoft Word .docx file). Nothing new inside, all instructions are according Eevblog forum. It is not my contribution.

73 de Robert

Robert Thanks so much for the great document. It explains it in a way that makes it very easy.
I emailed you because I think that there is one problem.  It does not seem to remove the NSP_np_Bandwidth.xml file.  It just makes a copy with the x added to the end of the name and I end up with the two files in the directory.  This means that nothing changes, the unit operates as it did before the attempt.   The backup folder just has only the X copy in it.

73s

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf