Author Topic: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?  (Read 407774 times)

Offline peterdb

• Contributor
Re: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2016, 07:39:40 pm »
@Karsten

This is really good news!! :)

The differences between Thomas method and mine are the way the permanent licences are obtained, and the way the hack is distributed.

So if everything works, no need to change anything.

Cheers,

Peter

Offline kado

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2016, 07:43:20 pm »
thanks peter for info!

Is there realy a 1 Hz RBW ? I could get only 10 Hz RBW until now.

Karsten

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2016, 07:52:31 pm »
Karsten -

yes there is a 1Hz RBW mode that had been activated in the "Werewolf Mode" of the 07.05 firmware. So it had to be possible to enable this "officially" as well, which is done by including the definition <_t1HZ>TRUE</_t1HZ> and/or <_1HZ>TRUE</_1HZ> in the options definition line. I found that editing the fun_opt_valid_config.xml with the <tEffect> parameter set to -1 for the desired options also enables them permanently. So there are several methods to achieve the desired goal.

Cheers,
Thomas
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:54:05 pm by TurboTom »

Offline kado

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2016, 08:12:17 pm »
@tom and peter

O.K. got it.
I tried toms method via USB stick and it works! Also now the 1Hz RBW  :-+
Thank you both for your "online" help, so now i can go to bed without headage...

Karsten

The following users thanked this post: peterdb

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2016, 09:20:01 pm »
I'm sure if Siglent doesn't lock this door, this SA will become the favorite instrument among the hobby users and they will sell huge quantities (relatively speaking). On the other hand, Rigol will probably notice a painful drop in sales of their DSA800 series (up to the DSA832) since the "improved" Siglent offers so much more for the money. The SSA3021X may become what the DS1000Z is among the oscilloscopes or the FLIR E4 among the thermal imagers...

Cheers,
Thomas

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2016, 10:52:50 pm »
Karsten -

yes there is a 1Hz RBW mode that had been activated in the "Werewolf Mode" of the 07.05 firmware.
I wasn't sure of that from a few weeks back so I hunted back through the threads and AFAIKT 7.07 had been released for a short while so I find it hard to believe rf-loop would keep using 7.05. He may chime in and confirm just which FW he used at the time.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2016, 06:31:45 am »
Karsten -

yes there is a 1Hz RBW mode that had been activated in the "Werewolf Mode" of the 07.05 firmware.
I wasn't sure of that from a few weeks back so I hunted back through the threads and AFAIKT 7.07 had been released for a short while so I find it hard to believe rf-loop would keep using 7.05. He may chime in and confirm just which FW he used at the time.

Every single test, image, data, etc  what I  have published in this EEVblog forum have used  100.01.02.07.05h only.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline peterdb

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2016, 07:46:17 am »
Karsten -

yes there is a 1Hz RBW mode that had been activated in the "Werewolf Mode" of the 07.05 firmware. So it had to be possible to enable this "officially" as well, which is done by including the definition <_t1HZ>TRUE</_t1HZ> and/or <_1HZ>TRUE</_1HZ> in the options definition line. I found that editing the fun_opt_valid_config.xml with the <tEffect> parameter set to -1 for the desired options also enables them permanently. So there are several methods to achieve the desired goal.

Cheers,
Thomas

In the fun_opt_valid_config.xml you also find a <t3M> option besides the <t1HZ> option.
Enabling the <t3M> option extends the range of the Resolution Bandwidth (RBW) filter to 3 MHz, where it’s now limited to 1MHz

Cheers,
Peter

The following users thanked this post: Pinkus, videobruce, kado, TurboTom, Deuze

Offline brucer37

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2016, 11:45:51 am »
There is still one little thing you need to take care of.
Wipe the user data because it was stored when the machine thought is was a SSA3021x where it’s now a 3022x, and this results in errors in the logs because the XML isn’t compatible.
Goto: System —> Pwr On/Preset —> Reset & Clear to remove all previously local stored user data.

My SSA3021X came with 07.06 firmware. This version does not have a Reset & Clear. I presume earlier firmware versions also do not. I have since upgraded to 07.07.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2016, 12:32:26 pm »
There is still one little thing you need to take care of.
Wipe the user data because it was stored when the machine thought is was a SSA3021x where it’s now a 3022x, and this results in errors in the logs because the XML isn’t compatible.
Goto: System —> Pwr On/Preset —> Reset & Clear to remove all previously local stored user data.

My SSA3021X came with 07.06 firmware. This version does not have a Reset & Clear. I presume earlier firmware versions also do not. I have since upgraded to 07.07.

7.07 is first version where is Reset&Clear.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline peterdb

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2016, 04:09:48 pm »
Correct the 7.07 firmware has the reset & clear.

The reset & clear is necessary to prevent errors in the logs while reading the user preferences configuration xml’s during boot time once it’s changed into a SSA3022x.
You'll find the config xml’s here:
/usr/bin/siglent/usr/config

you find the logs here:
/usr/bin/siglent/usr/log

The “New.ERROR” log always points to the latest error log
If after a reboot of the analyser this log does not show XML read errors the reset & clear is not necessary.

In the PwrOn/Preset menu you can store your own preset, and this will probably also fix it because it overwrites the previous configuration.

As far as I’m aware your SA will also work fine even with the errors in the log.
I presume the errors will automatically disappear over time due to normal use.

Now you know where everything can be found, you can check for yourself if any action is needed.

Offline dk5ya

• Contributor
    • 50 MHz and up
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2016, 04:46:43 pm »
Gentleman,

kind regards to Tom and the group. Got my 3021X today, unpacking, checking for Ser. N°, 10 minutes later it became a 3032X  :)
Sold my old HP 8592B instead few days ago since I'm no longer active beyond 3 gigs.
Ah, what a brand new world having a rather sharp and coulered screen in front instead of the old ray tubes.

Udo

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 05:11:26 pm by dk5ya »

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2016, 05:21:34 pm »
Nice upgrade from a dinosaur to a state of the art full color spectrum analyzer :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2016, 07:27:57 pm »
Gentleman,

kind regards to Tom and the group. Got my 3021X today, unpacking, checking for Ser. N°, 10 minutes later it became a 3032X  :)

And with FW 7.07.  8) I wasn't sure if that was possible, thanks for the confirmation.

Welcome to the forum dk5ya
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline MF-jockey

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2016, 07:38:29 pm »
Dear tinkerers,

I also have a 3021X patched to 3032X since some days, many thanks to Tom for the easy USB-Stick method.

Today I want to enter the EMI mode, but it wasn't present at the menue. What must I do to get the EMI function?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:30:25 pm by MF-jockey »

Offline dk5ya

• Contributor
    • 50 MHz and up
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2016, 09:11:19 pm »
Today I want to enter the EMI mode, but it wasn't present at the menue. What must I do to get the EMI function?
Pity, same here. No way to load EMI mode via mode select. Not part of the menu.

Offline dk5ya

• Contributor
    • 50 MHz and up
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2016, 10:13:41 pm »
Anybody out there with a patched 3021 and FW 7.07 who could try a series of reflection measurements? Ain't working here for whatever reason.  :-\ Just a lot of BS on the screen, no phase angles, just nasty noise.

Edit: Checked several 1/2" cellflex jumpers with my VNA and with the Siglent. While the VNA shows reflection perfectly the Siglent is just producing a bunch of BS.

U.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:22:48 pm by dk5ya »

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2016, 10:59:45 pm »
Hi,

I have the Siglent SSA3021X.

Look at the two pictures. I think you are looking for "EMI" at the wrong place! It is an optional filter setting in the BW menu (picture 1)

The second pictures shows the reflection measurement.

Perhaps I missunderstood you guys or previous firmware releases (which I didn't install), had different menus.

EDIT: Didn't understand what you meant with reflection measurement not working - apparently you did enter the option, but you are not seing the expected signal. Did you configure the Amplitude, RWB and sweep accordingly to your signal? This software option actually comes as a kit with a reflection bridge. You don't need to use that one in particular. See here: http://www.siglent.eu/rbssa3x20.html

Regards
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:10:23 pm by Bicurico »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2016, 11:10:07 pm »
FYI a very recent SSA3032X that I've got from the factory and sold to a forum member had the latest (7.07) FW installed ex factory.
Gentleman,

dk5ya's post a few day back shows the  :-/O can be done with latest FW and all options showing as enabled.

We can only ask if dk5ya bought his 3021X with any options installed. He did not make this clear.  :-//
Or were they all enabled with  :-/O
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2016, 11:11:56 pm »
The plain SSA3021X without any options and shipped FW 07.07 can be hacked and all options activated through telnet.

Regards

Offline pherdie

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2016, 11:48:31 pm »
I'm using a MiniCircuits directional coupler with the reflection function. Appears to be working fine for me. Measured values are approximately those expected for the displayed image.

Anybody out there with a patched 3021 and FW 7.07 who could try a series of reflection measurements? Ain't working here for whatever reason.  :-\ Just a lot of BS on the screen, no phase angles, just nasty noise.

Edit: Checked several 1/2" cellflex jumpers with my VNA and with the Siglent. While the VNA shows reflection perfectly the Siglent is just producing a bunch of BS.

U.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2016, 06:16:48 am »
Dear tinkerers,

I also have a 3021X patched to 3032X since some days, many thanks to Tom for the easy USB-Stick method.

EMI-SSA3000X /EMI Measurement Kit (Software)

You can select  EMI filters in BW menu. (200Hz, 9kHz, 120kHz (-6dB))
QUASI peak in Detector menu.
Also you can adjust Dwell time from 0 to 10s

AMK-SSA3000X /Advanced measurement Software

You see these measurements in measurement menu:
Channel power,
Adjacent channel power ratio,
Time domain power,
Occupied bandwidth,
Third-order intercept,

Refl-SSA3000X /Reflect Measurement Kit (Software)

Push MODE button
There you see:
Spectrum Analyzer
Reflection Meas

(Without this Refl Option, in MODE menu only Spectrum analyzer)

TG-SSA3000X /Tracking Generator Kit (Software)
TG can use.

I have used  Mini-Circuits directional coupler ZFDC-20-5  (N)  With tracking gen.
(If need better directivity etc then can use what ever better Return Loss Bridge (RLB) .)
This can use also of course with Reflection Meas Option. (Also same measurements can do without this option. Just need TG, Bridge and slide rule)

Offline MF-jockey

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2016, 07:15:47 am »

EMI-SSA3000X /EMI Measurement Kit (Software)

You can select  EMI filters in BW menu. (200Hz, 9kHz, 120kHz (-6dB))

Thanks rf-loop, yes I can select it  :)

But I'm a little confused about mode menu description at Manual, there is called a switch to EMI also.

Do you know, how to load the EMI limit value lines?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:29:27 am by MF-jockey »

Offline dk5ya

• Contributor
    • 50 MHz and up
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2016, 07:27:23 am »
We can only ask if dk5ya bought his 3021X with any options installed. He did not make this clear.  :-//
Or were they all enabled with  :-/O
No I didn't, it was just a plain 3021X. Meanwhile the suspect was caught, poor reflection measurement was caused by a rather ancient directional coupler out of my junk box with a sma jack that was loose  |O. Don't try reflection measurement in the middle of the night  :-[.

EMI mode: the manual is somewhat unclear saying EMI mode has to be selected in MENU mode but BW mode is the right one.

Everything working fine now here.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2016, 07:57:55 am »
@MF-jockey

I think you have old User Manual, version UM0703X-E01A.

Current version is:

UM0703X-E02A

There:

"Mode| Selects the Spec Analyzer\Reflection Meas"

But also this current version is not like real User Manual  including all detailed information,  it is more like "Quick Start Manual"

SSA3000X documents:

http://siglenteu.com/prodcut-wd.aspx?id=1252&tid=18&T=2

The following users thanked this post: MF-jockey

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf