Author Topic: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?  (Read 407756 times)

bkmit and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Re: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2016, 07:43:56 am »
Can you still telnet to the device?
How did you restart the second flash attempt?
It shouldn't be possible to downgrade.
Either you did something wrong with the hack or you might have a bad flash.
Consider restoring to unpacked version and then open a support case.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline jobber

« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2016, 08:02:12 am »
Hi.

Thank you for your reply!

No, I think network is not up during boot screen.

I tried to upgrade to 8.01 but without success (device stayed operational on v 7.07). Then I tried to upload v7.07 firmware to see if this is working. It went to 40%, rebooted and stayed in boot screen.

For the hack I followed @TurboTom instruction and they worked. Before that made a backup firmdata0 folder and also tried to make a backup of ecomb file but I coudn't because it was in use. Maybe that was the source of the problem at the first place.

I is possible to access console with USB?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2016, 08:04:07 am »
I tried to upgrade once again with version 7.07 and after 40% device restarted and never came back from boot screen.  :-[ I see green light flashing inside the housing but nothing is happening. Is there a way to restore it back or will I have to send it back for service?

It is very clearly said in every place. After 8.01 can NOT downgrade. 

In first place.

And all times when do what ever FW update it need do using USB stick what really works reliable with equipment and it need be true proofed with tests BEFORE any attempt to FW update. This is so clear thing that this do not need write instructions.

Also, least with every other Siglent equipment. USB need be in native FAT32 format. It must have single partition. Its connection to USB bus need be as reliable as also power to oscilloscope. During whole update process, do not touch USB (for avoid any possible contact fail)

Also after stored .ADS file to USB stick it is very good practice to check it match with original unzipped file.

During FW update from 7 to 8 version SSA do several self restarts (boots) before it is ready.

It do not really take 20min.  So in first place something have gone wrong.
I have updated more than one SSA (and whole load of other Siglent equipments and never meet any problem)  and update works just rock solid when do it exactly as instructions and out from instructions of course first be sure that USB is sure ok and update .ADS file is exactly ok in root of USB.

What was idea for update 7.07 after failed 8.01 update.Why?  Just for fun or with some knowleedge what to do. Is it better first study and after then think what to do.

Now, do NOT ANYTHING more before you know exatly what is safe to do next.

One question.

You say you have modified 7.07 before you start update FW update for 8.01
Who told you this can do and is it possible there have been some exeption when you have done it - example accidentally. There is several possible modifications and methods in FW 7 versions. It need know exactly what can do and what can not do, except if you can yourself analyze what can and what not.
Do you remmeber if there was perhaps h letter after FW version number last time before this all.. 

I "can not"  give any instructions how to continue.

But two questions and depending your answer perhaps some peoples here can try kindly help you.

But at this time my recommendation is:  do not try update any more or change anything before there is real knowledge what to do next for avoid possible more deep problems.

Q 1.: Do you have reliable copy of original some files (before any first change in system).
Q 2.: Do you have now normal access to SSA system (via LAN) with PC  or what ever telnet terminal? Or is SSA now as "dead"?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:16:09 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline jobber

« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2016, 08:53:48 am »
Hey.

Upgrade to 8.01 never finished. Immediately after starting the upgrade error message "System upgrade failed" message appeared and SSA stayed on version 7.07 (I think there was no h letter at the end). I thought that restoring to the same version (7.07) would clean the system so I could then upgrade to later version. Yes, it was an unproven method but I did't expect any problems, an error message at most. It is clear now that I was wrong.

The USB stick was almost new, in fat32 and I didn't touch it during the process.

The modification I made was to switch original "NSP_system_info" with the one provided in the one of the previous posts but with edited serial number.

Q 1.: Do you have reliable copy of original some files (before any first change in system).
I have a copy of "firmdata0" directory (calibration, NSPfiles, fun_opt file), nothing more.

Q 2.: Do you have now normal access to SSA system (via LAN) with PC  or what ever telnet terminal? Or is SSA now as "dead"?
Not via LAN. I have not tried any other options because I am not familiar with them.

I will definitely wait now before doing any further actions but I am afraid there is really not much to be done.

Thank you for your help and support. Much appreciated indeed!

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2016, 09:31:17 am »
Hey.

Upgrade to 8.01 never finished. Immediately after starting the upgrade error message "System upgrade failed" message appeared and SSA stayed on version 7.07 (I think there was no h letter at the end). I thought that restoring to the same version (7.07) would clean the system so I could then upgrade to later version. Yes, it was an unproven method but I did't expect any problems, an error message at most. It is clear now that I was wrong.

The USB stick was almost new, in fat32 and I didn't touch it during the process.

The modification I made was to switch original "NSP_system_info" with the one provided in the one of the previous posts but with edited serial number.

I have a copy of "firmdata0" directory (calibration, NSPfiles, fun_opt file), nothing more.

Not via LAN. I have not tried any other options because I am not familiar with them.

I will definitely wait now before doing any further actions but I am afraid there is really not much to be done.

Thank you for your help and support. Much appreciated indeed!

One more.

When you now turn on it. What all signs about its life you get before you now touch anything but powewr on. Perhaps you can take some picture.
Screen, some leds on etc.
Can you share this knowledge to peoples who perhaps may know things and may perhaps try give some help before hands up.

After documeenting this state perhaps then (well documented) if you can get any response from some buttons. (do any button give any sign about  life ..)

You can also try:
(these are just from my random tests and not based to any official knowledge)

Power on and immediately start  continuously and fastly "firing" button "Mode" whole boot time.
Perhaps nothing happen?? Shut off.  (perhaps mistake in my test "records")

Power on and immediately start  continuously and fast "firing" button "System" whole boot time. (works some times)
Perhaps nothing?  If nothing...

If nothing...

Boot again and push "System" and keep  when  power up and keep it continuously pushed down until SSA boot. (Perhaps this is most right...)

You can try these some more than just once.

With these 2 last, I can  get my SSA to weak up  and surprising something is really reset or something... as 1GHz model SSA3010X  !!  (if boot after this just normally, it is back normal model again)
If still nothing...lets hope some one have some other things...

If you get it wake up somehow in this or some other special model... do not turn off. After then is time to talk with SSA.

But, I afraid your's can not wake up with some button trick.
But, it do not cost anything...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:36:22 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: alexvg

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2016, 09:49:32 am »
Here is result from boot with "button trick" with my individual SSA

Note that before this it works normally and all official options valid permanent.

Now it is 1GHz model and without any licenses (and other way it works as normal 1GHz model.

If I now shut off it and power up normally, it is again all what was before... normal model and valid official licenses etc.

Just after "button trick" boot...

Note also that is in some kind of factory reset state because normally it keep user set display image mode after example Preset and Reset.  Now it is returned back to "Inverse" mode.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:24:32 am by rf-loop »

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2016, 10:42:38 am »
@jobber

sorry to hear about your problem with the firmware update and the now bricked machine. I assume you applied the latest patch ("NSP_system_info" change only). This shouldn't have caused any difficulties with the update on an otherwise "clean" system. How long did you own the SA and did you use the "werewolf mode" with F/W 7.05? If you did, a file "Monster.txt" will have been generated that just contains the phrase "hacked!" or the like, of which I don't know if it changes the situation or not. On my machine, I deleted all the evidence of previous tampering before applying the latest update. I also experimented recently with possible up- or downgrade options after the update to 8.01 without any succes so far (but also without any collateral damage...). I recommend trying rf-loop's instructions to revive the instrument and possibly get telnet access again.

If all this fails, and depending on how skilled you are with Linux, you may open the machine and access the TTL level serial port inside. This port is up directly after switch-on and the bootup console is mapped to it. At least this will tell you where the bootup process fails and if it gets far enough, you may interrupt the bootup to enter the UBOOT tool. This would allow you to load a new system image to your SA, provided one of us can generate one -- but I guess this should be possible. Since you've got a backup of your SA's calibration data, restoring the device to proper working condition isn't an issue after that.

Cheers,
Thomas
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:21:51 pm by TurboTom »

Offline jobber

« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2016, 11:46:34 am »
Thanks for your quick responses and ideas!

When press the the power button this is what happens:
- short beep,
- Mode and TG buttons lid on,
- after few seconds LCD screens turns on with Siglent logo on it (splash screen),
and that is it.

I moved it around a bit and noticed that green LED on LAN port is turned on and I can se a green led flashing inside on the PCB the through the vent holes (on same side as USB and LAN ports are). I don't know if this flashing LED is normal but I think it could be an error indicator.

There is no response when pressing buttons and I can only turn it off by holding power button for few seconds. I have tried pressing and holding system and mode buttons after power on but nothing happened - I will try a couple more times later today.

I also connected it with USB cable to se if this is working and I get the "USB device not recognized" message but I didn't have any drivers installed at that time.

@TurboTom, yes, I used patch that you mentioned. The device was one day old and almost unused. I also checked if there was any "Monster" file but I could not see any. For now I would like to avoid opening the device but a boot message from debug console would definitely give some answers.

Would it possible to get some access UBOOT via USB device port on the back?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2016, 01:18:55 pm »
Comment about LED's
Normally when booting front panel TG and Mode button leds on.
Normally when it is powered empty LAN connector green LED is on.
Green LED inside, continuously blinking, is normal.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2016, 07:07:21 pm »
The device was one day old and almost unused.

Would it possible to get some access UBOOT via USB device port on the back?

It's always risky to modify a brand-new device that had not undergone an appropriate "shake-down period". The "infant mortality" is someting that always needs to be considered. So the problem that you're facing now may well be the result of a flaw in the SA that was there right from the start, and even without the hack or even without your attempt to update the firmware, it may have failed. Of course it's difficult to prove now.

As far as I know, the only way to access the UBOOT menu is via a terminal connected to the UART interface inside the instrument. It's only necessary to remove the outer (plastic) rear cover, the pads of the UART interface can be accessed through an opening in the metal shield. A three-pin header (2.54 spacing) with slightly deformed pins can be inserted so it makes contact to the pad hole plating and routed outside via three wires. I used my SSA like this with this wire secured to the casing with some adhesive tape while I was initially experimenting with it (before the login data was discovered and telnet access became possible).

But honestly, with an instrument that's maybe a week in my possession and fails like you report, I would actually switch to "dumb mode" and try to have it replaced under warranty. I think there's a good chance nobody will notice that you tampered with it.

Cheers,
Thomas

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2016, 07:36:46 pm »
I second that: just return it and state the firmware update didn't work. Make sure to take pictures and note the serial number of the unit you are sending back so you can check whether it got damaged and you got the same unit back or a different one.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2016, 08:29:45 pm »
@jobber
Sorry to hear of your misfortune but the sad fact is if you f**k around with hacks these are the risks you take. Expensive brick.  :palm:
For your sake I do hope it is a rare product failure and not something you've done.  :scared:
Good luck.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline jobber

« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2016, 09:03:47 pm »
Thank you guys for all the support!

I did some experimenting with buttons but with no luck. I think that file system or some essential files got corrupt and it doesn't pass UBOOT.  I will contact support and ask if there is any recovery that could be used in events when upgrade fails. I will let you know what they will have to say.

It would be nice to know what exactly caused the device to fail so we could at least learn something.

@TurboTom do you think it would really be possible to recover it with cloned image file and UBOOT?

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2016, 10:20:48 pm »
Provided there isn't any further (hardware) damage that caused the instrument to fail, I'm pretty sure it should be possible to recover the machine. I once had a similar problem with a Hantek HDG2002B arbitrary function generator (I know the Siglent is another league...), and I was able to recover it from a (reported) NAND FLASH error by rewriting a file system image, albeit it was one that I've backed up from exactly the same machine some time before. Things may become awkward if bad blocks in memory are present in your machine since these locations won't be mapped correctly if uploading a foreign image.

All the best,
Thomas

Offline Tobey

« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2016, 06:53:16 pm »
Received my new SSA 3021X yesterday and trying to upgrade through Telnet but I cannot login using "root" and password "ding1234".  I am using Putty and
typing "root" for login but when I try to enter a password it will not take one and the screen will time out.  I have tried this many times and used other Telnet
programs without any luck.  I am stuck.  Have they changed the login name? It seems everyone else is able to login, but not me.  My machine info is:

SW1   100.01.02.07.07
SW2   20160606-2
SW3   000000D1
HW    07.03.00

Calibration date  2016-10-26

Amy help will be much appreciated.

Offline DL4RAJ

• Contributor
« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2016, 07:11:30 pm »
... Have they changed the login name? It seems everyone else is able to login, but not me. 

After having started Telnet you have to connect to your SSA
using its IP address which you find when you go into System -> LAN.
You can freely assign any appropriate IP address to your SSA.
Type into the command line 'o 192.168.xx.xx' (without the ' ).
After having established connection you'll be able to log in.

regards
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:04:57 am by DL4RAJ »

Offline Tobey

« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2016, 08:27:32 pm »
Yes I did connect with the SSA through the IP address, no trouble.  It returned the Arago Project screen with   "am335x-evm login:"   as the login with a cursor
to enter the login name.  I used "root" and when I hit enter the  "Password"  was displayed on the next line also with a cursor.  However, when I try to enter
"ding1234"  as the password I get no response; it will not accept any input at the cursor from the keyboard.  It is acting like the login could have changed and not
accepting the password.  I do not know what to do at this point to gain access through Telnet.
Thank you for your help!

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2016, 08:30:57 pm »
Hi,
Telnet access is sometimes slow. I mean really slow. Open the setup - about screen on the Siglent. This will speed the telnet access up.
Basically, just wait a minute for the login to happen.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Tobey

« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2016, 11:00:22 pm »
Thanks Bicurico and DL4RAJ for the input, but still cannot login to Telnet.  Every thing seems to be working as it should but just no response.  Bicurico, I do not see a setup screen on SSA except for the System>Interface>Lan.
Is there something I am missing?
Thanks.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2016, 01:05:07 am »
@Tobey
I don't believe in F/W 7.07 the login was changed, regardless of the purchase date of the SSA. Please also keep in mind that the Linux login is case sensitive. All the letters have to be lower case. The Info page mentioned is accessed on my machine (currently F/W 8.01 "improved") by pressing "System" -> "System Info" after full boot-up. While this screen is displayed, the sweep engine (ecomb) is halted and the O/S background activity isn't affected by it. Please try again exactly as described and report your results.

If you've still got 7.07 running, you may consider updating to 8.81 since this firmware version has the "standard" login configured (unless in between Siglent has applied some changes -- you may try to use an "older" download).

Whatsoever, I hope you'll be able to "liberate" your SSA.

All the best,
Thomas

Offline Tobey

« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2016, 01:42:12 am »
Thanks for the reply Thomas.
I tried to login as you suggested while in "System" -> "System Info", no caps lock on, all lower case.  Still no luck.  The response time in Telnet seems very good while inputing the login "root" and the responding of the Password request, as good as most other programs I've used.  But as before, no response to the input of the password "ding1234".  I guess
I will need to try updating to a different sw version as you suggest.  I'll play around some more and use a different computer and LAN connection before I do that.  Maybe others have the same problem and will give some feedback.
Thanks so much for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Offline DL4RAJ

• Contributor
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2016, 10:12:32 am »
... But as before, no response to the input of the password "ding1234". 

You did not happen to press backspace before entering "ding1234" ?
I guess you know that there has to be one 'space' between password prompt
and the password itself.

When you type in the password nothing happens on the screen,
i.e. the cursor is staying on the same position as before!

Just enter "ding1234" and then press the enter key.

regards
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:23:33 pm by DL4RAJ »

Offline DL4RAJ

• Contributor
« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2016, 10:37:23 am »
@Tobey

If you've still got 7.07 running, you may consider updating to 8.81 since this firmware version has the "standard" login configured (unless in between Siglent has applied some changes -- you may try to use an "older" download).

Whatsoever, I hope you'll be able to "liberate" your SSA.

All the best,
Thomas

Tom

I wonder if an *unmodified* 7.07 FW version which has been upgraded to 8.01
can be liberated.
When a *modified* 7.07 has been upgraded to 8.01 the 'liberation" is done as per your suggestion:
"Just delete all files (but not! the "calib" directory) from the directories /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/ and /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup/ (of course after backing up to USB pen drive)."
Now,after this action which brings back all options, the SSA still remembers the added non-factory
1Hz and 3MHz RBWs which where contained in the *modified* NSP_system_info.xml file of FW7.07.
So my guess is that this info must have been stored somewhere else in the SSA's file System,
not only in the /firmdata0 and /backup directories.
How else should the SSA with FW8.01 "know" these BWs?
The same might be true for the other "liberation" mods.

regards

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2016, 12:53:15 pm »
I think the 3.2GHz / 1HZ / 3MHz parameters along with the extended measurement options are just the design limits of the SSA3000X. It appears that as long as the instrument is not "personalized" (i.e. S/N assigned and other limits defined), the "ecomb" application (that's the main SA program) runs with all options enabled, for example for production testing / calibration. So the SA doesn't need to "remember" a previous (hacked) configuration, it just activates all the functions it has. At least this appears to be a reasonable explanation.

Cheers,
Thomas

Offline Tobey

« Reply #174 on: December 04, 2016, 04:05:15 pm »
DL4RAJ thanks for the response.
Yes you are correct:
When you type in the password nothing happens on the screen,
i.e. the cursor is staying on the same position as before!

I tried what you suggested, pressed backspace, nothing happens.  I even tried a new computer and a new LAN connection; I did change the IP address
on the new Lan connection, by the way.  I have no problem getting in to the SSA and opening the Araco Project screen and the prompt for the login.  The machine takes my login"root" and it advances
to the next line "Password" with the cursor.  However, the input to the cursor has no response from the keyboard.  It is acting, in my opinion, like the login word is wrong and giving no response at the
password prompt.  I saw where Bozidarms at Reply#112 had the same SSA setup info on his machine as I do, yet he was able to get in to SSA!  Is it possible that they have changed the login and password?
I have made sure that I am using all lower case and no extra spaces before the login "root".  I have tried everything suggested in this thread and still no luck!  Are there any other logins other than "root" and "ding1234" that anyone is aware of?  I am at a brick wall.
Thanks for all the help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf