Author Topic: Hantek 2000 series - 2C42/2C72/2D42/2D72  (Read 130473 times)

Offline macabaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hantek 2000 series - 2C42/2C72/2D42/2D72
« on: November 26, 2018, 12:57:53 pm »
When shopping for test equipment, I always search the EEVblog forum for discussion regarding the scope/ARB/AWG/whatever. I was a little surprised to see no discussion started yet on some new Hantek gear that has appeared recently. So I thought I'd sign up and start one!

Product page:
http://hantek.com/en/ProductDetail_13174.html

It tends to be sold as one of 4 models: 2C42/2C72/2D42/2D72
'C' means 2 channel scope and DMM.
'D' means 2 channel scope, DMM and AWG.
'4' means 40MHz.
'7' means 70Mhz.

I've ordered a 2D42 so this is 40MHz bandwidth with the AWG. I didn't see the point (in my personal usage) in 70MHz bandwidth with a sample rate of just 250MSa/S and who knows - there might be a way to unlock the higher bandwidth. The AWG also has 250MSa/s with a 512 sample buffer for custom waveforms, so it should be quite good for a quick bench test of low frequency circuits.

Barring any bugs or hardware issues, I think this'll turn out to be a convenient device for quickly getting out during prototyping and doing some probing. With any luck there will be some kind of bode plot function (perhaps using the USB cable and the software) for validating audio frequency filters.

Hopefully that gets the discussion started. Teardown photos to follow if/when it arrives.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:13:45 pm by macaba »

The following users thanked this post: KWKolb, Markus2801A

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hantek 2C42/2C72/2D42/2D72
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 01:13:11 pm »
I have just found a youtube user who is posting videos showing these Hantek devices being used:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ3fF1qMySgSKqHDcS3rGg

My impressions so far from the videos are that it's a nice step above the DSO Nano 'toy' scope that an absolute beginner might buy for their Arduino tinkering for a small (& worthwhile) increase in cost over the Nano.
As a professional EE, I think I'll find it useful as a supplement to a bench scope as long as I'm aware of it's limitations.

The following users thanked this post: Ed ke6bnl

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hantek 2000 series - 2C42/2C72/2D42/2D72
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:34:07 pm »
Would you mind tell us where did you buy it and how much?

thx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:18:30 am »
Would you mind tell us where did you buy it and how much?

thx

Banggood.com, 2D42 model for $144.99. A few dollars can be saved on AliExpress if you are comfortable buying from a less known supplier.

The following users thanked this post: Microcheap

Offline KlausB

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 09:23:08 pm »
Hantek 2D42: could you share your first findings after a couple of weeks  re. this hand-held Osci.
Would be  highly appreciated.
2D72 (no 2D42 so far) are being offered here in DL for about 165 Euros shipped.
I'm still not sure if it is just a 'toy' or something serious.
Tnx, Klaus

Offline wpwrak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 09:46:37 pm »
Santa Claus brought me a Hantek 2C42 :) I looked mainly at the scope part so far. It has all the basics, but very little beyond that. Some basic operations (I'm not good with videos, sorry):
- selecting channels, coupling (DC/AC/GND), probe attenuation, and the vertical system is straightforward, the controls are responsive.
- I didn't expect that it would never show the actual offset voltage of a channel, though. Also, the channel status field only shows whether the channel is on or off and V/div. There is a wave-ish squiggle, but it doesn't change when I change coupling or bandwidth limit.
- the horizontal system is also easy to use, but the time offset is only shown when the menu is removed, after a 10 s timeout. The "50%" menu item zeroes the time offset. (And no, don't get your hopes too high, there is no "50%" for the trigger level.)
- trigger is extremely basic: rising, falling, both. Can trigger on either channel, and you can set the trigger voltage. Trigger can be auto, normal, or single ("forced").
- the only automatic measurements are amplitude and frequency. Frequency is based on the displayed waveform, the trigger frequency is not shown. Amplitude goes a bit beyond the screen. The color scheme for measured values (yellow and light green on light gray) is unfortunate.
- display mode is Y-T or roll. There are no acquisition options (no average). Vector/dots neither.
- The only intensity that can be changed is that of the backlight. It's strong enough that the display is reasonably readable under the setting Buenos Aires sun, just the yellow on light gray part disappears, as one would expect.
- memory depth can be selected to be either 3k or 6k, only 3k if both channels are active. Things like math mode, FFT, protocol decoding, or such are of course absent.
- auto-setting seems to be a bit weird, but then I hardly every use that anyway. There is no "undo" for auto-setting.
- cursor-based measurements are either voltage or time. Time is only shown as time difference, not as frequency. So keep the calculator at hand.

One thing I tried in DMM mode was the continuity tester: there is no extending of the beep, so you need a solid connection. Also, the beeping sound is very faint.
Note that DMM and scope seem to be completely separate systems, also with separate connectors. So one couldn't, say, show current over time. This seems to be a common design among this class of devices.

The rest of DMM seems to give almost no controls (e.g., manual range selection), but I'll have to check the manual to see if there are features hidden behind long button presses or such.

The 2Cxx have no AWG, but there is still the AWG BNC connector, for the probe compensation signal.

Nice things:
- comes with crocodile-to-BNC. I've never seen that before. Could be handy.
- batteries are 18650, so they are user-replaceable. But you don't what to open that battery compartment without need: there is a lot of mechanical resistance and it's difficult to close again. I had to bend an interfering part of the door before I could get it back in.
- charging is through USB C - no need to add yet another device-specific wall wart.
- overall build quality feels decent.

Speaking of moving parts that don't want to: the stand resists a lot, too. I was afraid I'd break it before it would unfold. The carrying case is semi-rigid, which feels appropriate.

The device is reasonably small (slightly smaller than many competitors), but still I wish it had an opening for a lanyard or camera belt. Well, there's always the Kensington lock ...

Bottom line so far: functionality is really rock-bottom basic, and far from anything a bench scope offers. Nevertheless, with 40 MHz and two channels it's very well positioned among handheld scopes at its price. So if you need a portable scope to get an idea of what's going on, but can drag any problems that need deeper analysis to the lab, then it looks like an acceptable choice.

- Werner

[ Added that power-over-USB is also a nice feature. ]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 11:52:14 pm by wpwrak »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline wpwrak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 10:12:20 pm »
Since we're on eevblog here, I also took it apart. I'll clean up and post the pictures later.

To open it, peel the rubber sleeve from the front towards the back. Then remove the four T-10 (Torx) screws at the corners. The batteries are easier to remove once the case is open, than battling the accursed battery compartment door. Just make sure you remember their orientation.

Major components:
- FPGA: Lattice LCMXO2-1200HC-4TG100C (64 kbit RAM, which explains the 6 kSamples total capture size)
- ADC: Analog AD9288
- DMM: Semic CS7721C all-on-one DMM chip
- MCU: STM32F103VET6 (Cortex M3, 72 MHz, 0.5 MB Flash, 64 kB RAM)
- LCD: P028H026-TP

Case markings hint at a uSD slot, but don't worry, it's not populated.

Interesting: there are holes for headers for UART and SWD. The manual also says that firmware updates can be loaded over DFU. So the device may be reasonably hackable.

However, there are also board markings saying "HT2D42", so it may no be possible to "upgrade" the bandwidth.

- Werner

Offline wpwrak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 04:26:29 am »
As promised, some pictures:
https://github.com/wpwrak/2c42-pix/wiki

Regarding the firmware, I should add that all my testing is with the 2018-10-06 (03) firmware, FPGA 0x0. Alas, it seems that I won't be able to install anything newer, due to Hantek not supporting upgrading the FPGA code from Linux  :(

The following users thanked this post: chickenHeadKnob, Alll

Offline Alll

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 11:00:57 am »
Just curious, how to get 250MSa/S with one AD9288 BST-40 ?
There is some overclock or 2C42 version only have 80 MSa/S ?

The following users thanked this post: wpwrak

Offline wpwrak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 06:44:54 pm »
Just curious, how to get 250MSa/S with one AD9288 BST-40 ?
There is some overclock or 2C42 version only have 80 MSa/S ?

Heh, that's an excellent question !  :)

Let's see ... one channel, 3 kSa, from 1 s/div to 10 us/div, the sample rate (ENCa) is 10 MHz. Considering that the minimum conversion rate of the AD9288 is 1 MSa/s (data sheet page 14: Theory of Operation, Timing), that looks like a reasonable choice.

From 5 us/div to 1 us/div, it jumps to 100 MHz. Beyond that (down to 5 ns/div), it's indeed 125 MHz.

Going to 6 kSa doesn't change the sample rate (at 5 ns/div), nor does activating CH2. Back to single channel, 5 ns/div, I see than ENCb is also active, with a 180 deg phase difference to ENCa, which is what one would expect.

So yes, heavy overclocking indeed.

- Werner

The following users thanked this post: Alll

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 08:13:04 pm »
no worries Werner, Tekway, later Hantek is using these ADCs overclocked since 9 years in their products, i have such Tekway DSO since 8y already, no issues so far -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free

For sure it's not good for silicon, so can add small heatsink to it.

I have seen your pictures, next time when you open it, shot some pictures of the input circuit as well.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline wpwrak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 03:18:48 am »
For sure it's not good for silicon, so can add small heatsink to it.

Heh, if it's really just more heat the chips are producing. Alas, we can't quite know how Analog do their binning, and what sort of IQC Hantek are performing. It's a pity the 2C42 jumps straight from 10 MHz to 100 MHz, leaving the upper end of the within-specs range unused.

I have seen your pictures, next time when you open it, shot some pictures of the input circuit as well.

Still had it open from measuring the sample rate. The cans pop very easily, a reverse engineer's dream ;)

I've added the front-ends to the picture collection:
https://github.com/wpwrak/2c42-pix/blob/master/jpg/afe.jpg
https://github.com/wpwrak/2c42-pix/blob/master/jpg/afe-zoom.jpg

They may look quite dark in the previews (I didn't post-process them since I really like how crisp they came out and didn't want to lose any of that), but if you look at them at the full resolution, you should be able to identify every component. There are a few unpopulated  footprints in the AWG circuit, U13 and some 3-SOT part, so that AWG probably isn't fully functional. It does produce the reference square wave for probe compensation, though.

- Werner

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 02:42:18 pm »
I've added the front-ends to the picture collection:
https://github.com/wpwrak/2c42-pix/blob/master/jpg/afe.jpg
https://github.com/wpwrak/2c42-pix/blob/master/jpg/afe-zoom.jpg

interesting, EL5166 as driver, so there is room for improvement. The discrete part is known from other DSOs, so one can improve it as well.
Sure, when sampling with 250MSa/s it does not make much sense to get higher than 100MHz input, but still, better that 40MHz.

There are a few unpopulated  footprints in the AWG circuit, U13 and some 3-SOT part, so that AWG probably isn't fully functional. It does produce the reference square wave for probe compensation, though.

Hantek was in the past lazy, there is chance that AWG will work when you add DAC. But that's easy to check on the DAC pins.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 05:27:51 am »
I've got 2D72 today, and so far I like what I see.

But one thing is not clear - how long does it actually take to charge the battery? It arrived with batteries completely discharged (would not turn on). After multiple hours it has charged to 1 bar.

So if you have one, is it normal charging time?

EDIT: It draws 90 mA in an off, but charging state according to USB power meter. Seems low.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:32:00 am by ataradov »
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 07:34:48 am »
After some playing around with batteries, I've got a dead unit. Some quick troubleshooting lead to dead H&M Semi HM4052. It is a battery charger/switch power supply that is used to supply the rest of the system.

Interestingly, this IC was clearly reworked on my device, there are signs of flux all over the place (which may have been the source of poor charging).

The IC seems to be unobtainable.

So now I can transform this unit to USB-only by bypassing this IC and dropping the input voltage to 3.8 V (normal output of HM4052). Or diode-switch USB and battery voltages and skip battery charging.

Both options kind of suck. If anyone knows the source for HM4052, I'd be glad to hear.
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 08:25:53 am »
Here it is in Chinese only http://hmsemi.com/downfile/HM4052.PDF It looks like it may be replaceable by other ICs, but I see no direct replacement.

It is really my fault. I tried to diagnose it and it died while I was trying to measure battery current, and I think my contact was not very reliable, so the battery "connected" and "disconnected" very rapidly. Of course I could lie, but I don't want to do that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:14:00 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 08:42:24 am »
It is really my fault....Of course I could lie, but I don't want to do that.
no its not your fault! you opened it up and diagnosed it is the effect of the cause that it wont get charged. this is typical china products. its lucky if we can fix it, but why we should be blamed of its unreliability? f*ck it, if its me, i close it up i'll make a report to seller, whether i did or didnt open it up, either way i'll file a complaint anyway. anyway, maybe you can find pin compatible battery charging IC in digikey? if you insist to "not lie" or want to keep it in its "crippled" form, like the one china product i have here.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:45:57 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 08:47:01 am »
anyway, maybe you can find pin compatible battery charging IC in digikey?
That's what I'm trying to do. I don't even care about it being pin-compatible, there is plenty of space for bodging there. There are some very similar ICs, I just need to find something in bigger packages.

It is not the highest quality product, for sure. But I also don't wan to deal with returns and all that stuff.
Alex

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 08:51:37 am »
I also don't wan to deal with returns and all that stuff.
yes this is another major factor why we prefer to fix it to death on our own. sometime its better the hassle than to pay 10X of the big boy brand (but maybe its just me). good luck.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 08:53:42 am »
I mean, it is also not my only scope, it is essentially a toy for me, so it turning into a repair project is not a big deal.
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 08:34:42 pm »
After exploring various options available from well known vendors, I see that HM4052 is actually an excellent chip. There are chips that have similar functionality, but they all are over-complicated and are available in hard to use 24-32 pin packages.

I immediately came up with ideas for improving my own projects if this chip was actually available, since it is so easy to use. Too bad those Chinese companies don't want to expand to western markets.

PS: Also, google translate is excellent at translating Chinese to English.
Alex

Offline Stevie1966

• !
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 10:15:25 am »
Hi,ataradov

I bought a Hantek 2D72 from ALIEXPRESS 1 week ago. The seller told me that the charger process is as follows and maybe help you.

1. Connect the charger, the total current is about 450mA, to prevent burning the computer's USB port, 300mA allows the host to work, the rest 100mA is charged to the lithium battery.
2. After the host works, it is judged whether the connection is a computer through the software. If it is a computer, the total current does not change, and the USB of the computer is prevented from being burned more than 500mA.
3, if it is not the USB of the computer, it is considered to be 2A charger. The charger will have a total current of 1700mA, of which 300mA will allow the main unit to work, and the remaining 1400mA will be charged to the lithium battery.
4. the new version PCB has been added with reverse battery protection.2 batteries are reversed, and 1 battery is reversed, no problem.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 05:27:43 pm »
It won't really helped me at this point. I just did diode or of USB and battery voltages, so there is on charging, but the unit still can be powered by either source. All the secondary power regulators have high input range, so the exact voltage for that first supply does not really matter.

If anyone is here for a review of the device, I would say the build and construction are pretty mediocre. If you are looking for a decent piece of equipment, look further If you just need something lightweight and mobile to quickly check things, this scope may work. Definitely don't pick it as your only scope, the UI will drive your nuts.
Alex

Offline andry.electra

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 12:38:38 am »
Looks like ETA6002E8A will be nice replacement for HM4052.
You can see datasheet here: https://aliot.com.ua/pdf/eta6002.pdf
IC's available here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-ETA6002-ETA6002E8A-50pcs-lot-100-NEW-and-ORIGINAL/32825837308.html

The following users thanked this post: neilw20

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 12:46:07 am »
Oh, wow. That's like the exact clone. Now I wonder who is the original designer here.

Thanks for finding this, I will order some.
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf